• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behind the Scenes of Mortal Kombat 3's Motion Capture Session

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I searched but didn't see a thread for this. I had no idea they did so much mo-cap for the game considering it's age. Really cool to see all the poses and moves being done that I recognize from the game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You had no idea they did so much mo-cap for a game (series) that is literally digitized actors? The sprites are cleaned up footage basically, not 3D models with mo-cap animations...

Mo-cap doesn't need people to wear the character costumes or anything... I mean, can't you tell that even by just the video preview image before clicking play? :p

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You had no idea they did so much mo-cap for a game (series) that is literally digitized actors? The sprites are cleaned up footage basically, not 3D models with mo-cap animations...

Mo-cap doesn't need people to wear the character costumes or anything... I mean, can't you tell that even by just the video preview image before clicking play?

I suppose in my head I always just figured they did some photo shoots with actors and actresses to get a baseline model for the game's characters, and then the animators took those sprites and made them jump / kick / punch / fall down / do special moves.

I'll admit I don't usually follow fighting games or how they're made (or how they used to be made in the 90s).

Alexios

I suppose in my head I always just figured they did some photo shoots with actors and actresses to get a baseline model for the game's characters, and then the animators took those sprites and made them jump / kick / punch / fall down / do special moves.

I'll admit I don't usually follow fighting games or how they're made (or how they used to be made in the 90s).
It's just how MK (and wannabes that followed) was made. Other games were drawn from scratch for each frame, you can't just move the limbs of a sprite around for movement or it will look like a flash game.

Well, some games do use skeletal animations for 2D sprites like that but they still alternate different sprites for different angles and what not so that it looks better but you can still tell that rather than being hand drawn every frame they just move limbs around, it's a very distinct look that tends to have the wrong perspective a lot of the time. Something like Vanillaware's games. Muramasa, Dragon's Crown etc.

Recent 2D games may use 3D models with key poses/animations and then still draw over them each frame to create 2D sprites with the right look/shading/details.

Last edited:

Soltype

Most impressive thing from this game for me is the stop motion work.
BwMMEYI.gif

Whoever worked on her did a very good job, they even animated her leg muscles activating.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Remember when me and a friend rented Mortal Kombat 3 for Playstation and played it a whole weekend. Good times. Except there was a small delay everytime Shang Tsung transformed into one of the other characters. Load times were savage in those days and killed a lot of the immersion.

Alexios

Remember when me and a friend rented Mortal Kombat 3 for Playstation and played it a whole weekend. Good times. Except there was a small delay everytime Shang Tsung transformed into one of the other characters. Load times were savage in those days and killed a lot of the immersion.
No morphing delays if you're playing on last gen systems like Mega Drive/Genesis (SNES maybe?). Or even Saturn, just another way the PS sucked and ruined otherwise beautiful memory-hungry 2D games :(

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
just another way the PS sucked and ruined otherwise beautiful memory-hungry 2D games

Yeah, PS had some awful loading times in some games. Blood Omen comes to mind, where a goddamn loading screen popped up in front of you whenever you changed screen.

petran79

Banned
Had seen the video. There must have been a thread for it here. Dont mind rewatching it. Also Ed Boon seemed quite athletic doing a summersault

Top Bottom