• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, i said it, the concept is cool, and seducing. First thing i thought when i saw the trailer was "there is something there, that is urban, modern, that can relate to people more than the WiiU could".

But people finding the concept cool won't make them buy it yet. The software will decides that, and we know nothing about it yet.

I think my biggest frustration is that there is a HUGE misunderstanding about something here. Back when Iwata made the comments about unified os, android etc.. everyone (not right away but soon enough) embraced the idea of one only Nintendo console. And now, they have that .. hybrid home/portable console, so everyone think, this is what we get. And as such it can be awesome.

Except.. we have ABSOLUTELY NEVER heard anything from Nintendo about that. Everyone is thinking right now, on gaf, Hey Switch is awesome i'll play monster hunter and pokemon on it" but none of what Nintendo said goes in that direction. If anything, them insisting on the console being a home console means they don't want to cross the streams at all.

That's what i'm saying by being confused about its identity. Cause that's two entirely different things here. A console that will legitimately have the kind of generosity Nintendo portables have, in term of games, or a WiiU repeat with selected games, and Nintendo still having to output games for an other system, and we all know how that ends.

Maybe it will be both, with the Switch being marketed differently in Japan, but both benig the same hardware and playing the same games in the end. I could see that and that would be nice.

But what i mean is, there are so many unknowns right now about what the fuck is that console, and i'm speaking in term of games. We don't know if triple AAA will be on it (for those who want them), we don't know if usual portable games will be on it.. You know what i'm saying. This is a virgin box for now.

Nobody talk about anything. Nobody talks about the obvious irrefutable fact that if the screen is a touch screen, you won't be able to play.. say, phoenix wright, if such a game is on the switch, on your tv, cause there is no physical way to play a touch screen game with the dock on. This kind of thing..

The more i talk and the more i think we could have two different product based on the Switch. With a more portable friendly, dockless version for japan (also available here hopefully).

But to summarize my tough and my confusion, not knowing if the Switch will have a portable library, nor if it'll be, for example, available without the dock, makes it something completely unpredictable and unidentifiable for me. Those are HUGE matters. They change everything

Nintendo just aren't ready to put a bullet in the 3DS yet, as they are a conservative company (who are honestly terrified of the changing market) and it's their only current platform with a halfway decent installed base. I understand your fears, but I don't think it's necessarily worth worrying about whether Nintendo call it a "portable" or a "home console you can take on the go." It's all marketing speak--same as when they called the Nintendo DS a "third pillar."

The 3rd parties which supported 3DS (Atlus, Square Enix, Capcom, Level 5, etc.) are all on board. This console is Nintendo's future and any smaller portable device eventually released will likely be 100% compatible per Iwata's vision.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing the Switch as it is is really surreal to me, because earlier this year everyone thought the thing (or at least its controller) was gonna look like THIS:

ZAAAcu5l.jpg

Man, we all got duped hard that month lol

That tree though lol

orioto

Good Art™
Nintendo just aren't ready to put a bullet in the 3DS yet. I understand your fears, but I don't think it's necessarily worth worrying about whether Nintendo call it a "portable" or a "home console you can take on the go." It's all marketing speak--same as when they called the Nintendo DS a "third pillar."

The 3rd parties which supported 3DS (Atlus, Square Enix, Capcom, Level 5, etc.) are all on board. This console is Nintendo's future and any future smaller portable device will likely be 100% compatible per Iwata's vision.

That's the difference in thinking. I think this is not only marketing, and i think that can kill or make the console. I'm always the guy screaming about wolves when everyone is having fun i know. That's how i am.

The thing about the third pillar, this is funny how gaf has been in denial about that :p Nintendo tells you this is a home console, things like no touch on the home pad tells you some big portable gameplay won't work with it. But everyone is like "naaaahh come on, this is just talk, they don't mean it it's just to not kill the 3ds!" It's like everyone is ignoring the signs!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
See, for example, you're hoping streetpass when it's pretty clear to me, that there won't be any, as it would be a portable feature, and not designed for a home console.

That's precisely what i'm saying. People are hyped for something they have absolutely no clue what it is or what they can wait from it. And when i'm saying hey this is confusing, i got people telling me i should just be happy and have faith as usual

I dont get what is confusing honestly
I mean Street Pass is a feature that could or not be in, and we will discover it later
Lack of other kind of info is different from the concept reveal being confusing

Anth0ny

I wouldn't be surprised if they used DVD or blu ray sized cases rather than 3ds sized cases, since they're really pushing "it's a home console!" In their marketing so hard.

I wonder what the cost differences would be for Nintendo between DVD/Blu-Ray, 3DS or Vita sized cases for Switch games?

Vita sized would probably make the most sense as they're the smallest overall, normal disc cases seem unnecessary with how much empty space there would be with SD card sized carts. (Crazy Speculation Time) And, since Vita's case dimensions are more or less downsized disc cases, devs can save some time making the cover art for the Switch, as the cover art on say, the PS4 + Xbox One versions would fit with little to no changes on Switch then. No need to make a unique cover like the 3DS version of games had to.

Oregano

I don't know if it's been talked about, but there's a company called Ubitus GDK listed as a partner for the Switch.

This is a cloud computing service provider.

Cloud saves (at the very least) confirmed?

They provide services for cloud consoles as well.

Not necessarily. Fairly sure they power Dragon Quest X on the 3DS.

Although I doubt the Switch version of DQX is going to be cloud based considering its tech specs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used DVD or blu ray sized cases rather than 3ds sized cases, since they're really pushing "it's a home console!" In their marketing so hard.

it could make a big difference in logistic costs, for a box full of nothing. perhaps it will be a Dvd-like rectangle box, but near the 3DS game box size.

That's the difference in thinking. I think this is not only marketing, and i think that can kill or make the console. I'm always the guy screaming about wolves when everyone is having fun i know. That's how i am.
You can scream wolf all you want as long as you keep up the excellent artwork. Your opinions are certainly valid.

The thing about the third pillar, this is funny how gaf has been in denial about that :p Nintendo tells you this is a home console, things like no touch on the home pad tells you some big portable gameplay won't work with it. But everyone is like "naaaahh come on, this is just talk, they don't mean it it's just to not kill the 3ds!" It's like everyone is ignoring the signs!

This is why I don't agree with them going back into lockdown until 2017. Very foolish of them in my opinion and not only because 3rd parties need time to market their software. We still don't have a full picture of what this system can do. How they handle touch when docked is a big question mark. Will some portable games not work in docked mode? Will they need to use an alternate control method? Nintendo have not even mentioned gyro controls yet. We need more details and it looks like we're not getting them any time soon. Hopefully the investors ask some hard hitting questions next week.

Edit: Personally, I am not ruling out some kind of wireless HDMI dongle. Wishful thinking maybe, but it solves the problem with touch. Nintendo obviously wanted a very simple message for this trailer and showing that off may have gotten them into Wii U territory.

I can't wait to play Skyrim & Zelda botw on the go, but if anyone had any doubts that the gameplay footage on the console was real time or not:

Editing..png

ASIS

That's so stupid though, the cartridges looked really small.

If they do that then I'll have to store the games somewhere else.

CHC

Do you think they will sell a portable only version? No dock, just the screen, attached handholds, and charger?

If I got this I see no reason I would EVER hook it up to my monitor and play there, I'd likely only use it as a handheld.

Sorry if it's been addressed, this thread is too damn big to comb through all day.

OCD Guy

Do you think they will sell a portable only version? No dock, just the screen, attached handholds, and charger?

If I got this I see no reason I would EVER hook it up to my monitor and play there, I'd likely only use it as a handheld.

Sorry if it's been addressed, this thread is too damn big to comb through all day.

Not anytime soon, a handheld only version defeats the entire purpose of the name. With a handheld you can't "Switch".

If Nintendo are successful then I totally see a new handheld device that has access to the same library the same way they could release a dedicated console that again has that same library.

For now and the near future don't get your hopes up. If anything I think the idea Nintendo have makes sense, and there's nothing to stop an evolution of that idea, i.e make it so there's a very significant difference between that same device when portable and when docked. They could make it so that the dock actually houses additional hardware for example.

I personally think if anything Nintendo will look to evolve their current idea, the same way they evolved the Wii U into what we have in the Switch. I can't see them throwing all of that away and having dedicated devices.

Ultimately what will dictate the future is the success and how the market reacts to the current device.

guek

Banned
See, for example, you're hoping streetpass when it's pretty clear to me, that there won't be any, as it would be a portable feature, and not designed for a home console.

That's precisely what i'm saying. People are hyped for something they have absolutely no clue what it is or what they can wait from it. And when i'm saying hey this is confusing, i got people telling me i should just be happy and have faith as usual
I think you're mistaking ignorance for confusion. The message isn't confusing at all, it's just not completely transparent. That's understandably causing you a lot of anxiety but that doesn't mean the message so far has been muddled or confusing like it was for the wiiu.

You seem to be insisting there's not enough to go on to get hyped but we have more information than you're suggesting.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to play Skyrim & Zelda botw on the go, but if anyone had any doubts that the gameplay footage on the console was real time or not:

Editing..png

Aw. Is this actually visible in the video or could it be fake or some kind of visual glitch? I'm afraid I know the answer but eh.

Now I feel being lied to!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Yes, but not at launch.

They need to focus on the switch aspect, and having one sku both for manufacturing and retail is way better.

That being said I totally expect other SKUs down the road. Way to many use cases were people would want an extra switch unit for portable use that don't need the extra dock.

Just don't expect that at launch. Expect that further down the line.

*If the extras are cheap enough they might not have to do this. If they can get the full bundle down to $199.

Aw. Is this actually visible in the video or could it be fake or some kind of visual glitch? I'm afraid I know the answer but eh.

Pro tip going forward, screens in marketing material are ALWAYS simulated unless they look terrible. Filming screens makes them look like shit, full stop.

The Switch-less Switch?

Plum

Editing..png

Nintendo can't even show actual gameplay on their game console? They have to shop it in! Nintendo is doomed I tells ya! DOOMED!

/s

LordRaptor

Pretty much anytime you see something being displayed on a screen in TV, film and adverts as the focus of the shot, its raw footage thats been overlaid onto a blank screen, not video of a screen actually playing anything back.

e:
beaten

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Pro tip going forward, screens in marketing material are ALWAYS simulated unless they look terrible. Filming screens makes them look like shit, full stop.

Pretty much anytime you see something being displayed on a screen in TV, film and adverts as the focus of the shot, its raw footage thats been overlaid onto a blank screen, not video of a screen actually playing anything back.

e:
beaten

Okay, I feel slightly better now. Thank you.

Ambient80

Before I get too excited I just wanna know if their online account garbage is being changed. Or has that already been done? Last I used it, digital purchases were tied to device, not account, which is silly.

PSFan

I dunno. Yeah, the marketing says it's a home console but everything else screams it's a handheld, so why not go with 3DS/DS sized cases? I mean they are even launching the thing in March, which is around when they usually launch their handheld devices.

And to comment on all the hype and positive reaction stuff, I seem to remember a similar reaction to the 3DS reveal. There was a lot of excitement. But Nintendo got a little cocky with the price and the launch was a disaster (which coincidentally, was also a March launch). They had to take drastic steps to save it.

Let's hope Nintendo learned something from all that, because if they mess up again, the product name to easily lends itself to negativity. I can just see the internet start calling it the Bait and Switch, if it turns out to be not that good. Though I am interested and will probably get one on launch.

Coda

e:
beaten

Exactly, it would look really dim and terrible if they just showed what the actors camera was picking up. So it makes sense showing off the actual game ripped footage.

Metal B

Editing..png
That's why, the Zelda Gameplay looked like 21FPS. The video material of the live-action was either longer or they wanted it to be longer. But the editor could only use the given Zelda material. So he simply slowed down the gameplay part.

imae

Before I get too excited I just wanna know if their online account garbage is being changed. Or has that already been done? Last I used it, digital purchases were tied to device, not account, which is silly.

Purchases on Wii U are tied to your Nintendo account.

However, your account is tied to the Wii U. So you can't just sign in on a new Wii U and download your games again without calling customer support and asking them to remove the account from your old Wii U.

Whether that will change, we will have to wait and see.

That's why, the Zelda Gameplay looked like 21FPS. The video material of the live-action was either longer or they wanted it to be longer. But the editor could only use the given Zelda material. So he simply slowed down the gameplay part.
Yeah. It's unfortunate that some believe the slowed down footage indicates a worse fps in handheld mode. It was just editing.

jonno394

Fingers crossed thats why. i'm still looking at this optimistically though, no need for pessimism (just yet)

vareon

Oh, this is the most plausible reason so far (though it's still dumb). Nobody in the right mind would purposefully insert choppy footage of their own product.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah also what is with rösti? Didn´t see anything of him lately.
I received some disappointing news in a DevOps capacity, which left me a bit disinterested in joining the conversation at the time. I'm unauthorized to provide specifics, but it's nothing for the end user to be concerned about.

With that said, I am excited for Switch and its premise.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
That was bullet time, the game slows down when you shoot arrows in the air. There's nothing here to worry about.

PSFan

Purchases on Wii U are tied to your Nintendo account.

However, your account is tied to the Wii U. So you can't just sign in on a new Wii U and download your games again without calling customer support and asking them to remove the account from your old Wii U.

Whether that will change, we will have to wait and see.

I'm really curious to see what happens with that. Because the only purchases that can transfer really, is the VC stuff. And I really believe that there will be no VC for this at launch because they want to wait until they decide if it's going to be the 3DS successor as well or not.

At this point, some people own the same SNES and NES VC games on both WiiU and 3DS. If the Switch does indeed replace the 3DS at some point, which version of say SMW gets transferred, the 3DS VC or the WiiU VC? And if you have it on both systems, will they ask you to pay again on the switch?

Nintendo has a lot to think about with the VC and transferring stuff to the Switch.

I'm really curious to see what happens with that. Because the only purchases that can transfer really, is the VC stuff. And I really believe that there will be no VC for this at launch because they want to wait until they decide if it's going to be the 3DS successor as well or not.

At this point, some people own the same SNES and NES VC games on both WiiU and 3DS. If the Switch does indeed replace the 3DS at some point, which version of say SMW gets transferred, the 3DS VC or the WiiU VC? And if you have it on both systems, will they ask you to pay again on the switch?

Nintendo has a lot to think about with the VC and transferring stuff to the Switch.

I know I'm asking for too much from Nintendo but I really wish the Switch's eshop had every NES/SNES/N64/Game Boy/GBA games they released on the 3DS/Wii U eshops right off the bat and let us transfer the stuff we owned from the 3DS/Wii U. Gonna really hate it if they're going to once again completely reboot the VC and make us wait for everything again...which is probably the case.

It's a shame, because the whole point of the Switch is unification, bring the console and handheld divisions and components together in harmony, so it'd be amazing if Nintendo could unify the madness with their eshop(s). Alas.

Here's a thought I just had:

Let's say the Switch is a success. Maybe not Wii numbers or DS family numbers, but respectable Xbox One-ish numbers. So what do they do next? They create another tablet that is more powerful that slots into the same dock. If the dock only provides TV and charge/power functions it would be able to house any tablet designed for it. And again,if the Switch is a success and if the dock only provides TV and charge/power functions, they could sell two packs. One Switch 2 on its own for owners of the previous model and dock and another which includes the dock for new owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom