• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Being white is a privilege, says this PSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Being white is a privilege, say facts.
What kind of facts do you want? There are multiple studies of income and education breakdowns by race.

Is being white (or mainly, caucasian white) a privilege in african, arabic, indoasian or asian societies?
This PSA will be broadcast in America. They aren't trying to make a statement about people in other countries.

Stet

Banned

I'm not sure how to even respond to this.

The example you gave was mocking. Not police harassment. Not going to jail. Not living in a really dangerous environment, but mocking?

Yea, I'm not seeing the lack of privilege there.

It's reverse racism! We can't say "nigger," but they can say whatever they want about us!! Hm? No, officer, just out for a stroll. Have a nice night.

Yagharek

I don't know what it's like in the USA, but in Australia it's true to an extent.

Generally speaking, immigration to Australia has come in waves.

First you have the various Aboriginal nations, here for 60,000 years. Those guys do have it very rough in Australia, no question at all. There is an inherent thing you hear in all sorts of towns when travelling to "watch out for them" as if they are all up to no good.

Other migrant groups we have include (very early on in Australia's colonisation) Europeans aside from just British, Chinese, Afgans who were all here in the gold/exploration era.

Post WW1/2 there have been a lot of German, Italian, Greek, Turkish immigrants who have settled in seamlessly. Except the Italians and Greeks who seem to love having a go at each other every major football tournament but that is a good thing. And also a lot of people from Pacific Islands too.

In the last thirty odd years there has been a lot of migration from South East Asia, notably Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Vietnam etc. And a continuing influx of people from China and Japan, as well as India, Pakistan etc.

There has also been a big increase in immigrants from the Middle East and Africa, notably Lebanon and Sudan.

Probably the groups that have the worst of it in Australia would have to be the Sudanese and Middle East immigrants, but I tend to believe that it is only a matter of time before on the whole that is a non-issue. As far as I have experienced, most people tend to see 2nd generation or older people as "Aussies". Chinese/Italian/Greek etc migrant families are so ingrained in this country now that pretty much forms the model for how all the new groups will hopefully fit in.

It takes longer to settle in and be accepted than it should, but I reckon in 50 years, (hopefully much sooner), African and M-E immigrants won't even be noticed any more. They'll just be as accepted as Italians and Greeks are, for example - ie, completely.

But the worst problem I feel will remain the treatment of Aboriginal people. There is an attitude for change amongst Australians, but its very slow and there is a pervading sense of "how do we look after them" about it, and I imagine that must be very patronising for them. Especially with such things as the intervention in the NT that are seen in very polarising ways all over the country.

If you are white in Australia though, there is pretty much no racism directed your way except in the presence of small, tight knit immigrant groups that have a very strong "us and them" identity. But none of that will harm a white Australian's chances of getting work etc.

I don't believe that there is widespread racism here in general, but there are some groups that do have it noticeably worse than others. I guess the key is to recognise it is there, and try to deal with it. I think the true measure of Australia's maturity in dealing with it will be to bring about a practical reconciliation with Aboriginal nations rather than just stopping at the symbolic one a few years ago.

Oh I don't know they could realize how they're routinely not hassled, given better opportunities, not assumed the worst of. Then as a result of realizing this, recognize how others don't have these luxuries.

Preaching to the choir on this one.

Did you ignore my post? I said knowing the intention of the PSA made it make more sense to me. But I still don't like the direction it's headed.

JCX

I wish black men were allowed to be angry. It might seem like a minor thing, but people freak out when I display genuine anger, and I am not intimidating in any way.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
America is so new, so quick to grow and so diverse that it has a slightly unique take on race. Race is a shorthand for poverty in this country, and has been for a long time. Italians, Irish, Greeks, all had to go through the poverty mill. The difference is that none of these groups were slaves. They were all discriminated against and all require bootstraps, but the legacy of slavery and hatred is uniquely aimed at black people. Even immigrant Chinese, who were effectively slaves, we're able to escape those shackles literally and figuratively. This is one of the reasons why I want to punch white people who bitch about affirmative action. Fuck you. Nobody can tell you're white trash if you don't act like it. Black people in the US cannot yet enjoy that luxury.

way more

White Privilege deniers disgust me with just how apathetic and reductive they are. Here we have a social issue and what do they say, "that didn't happen to me! It's not real." Like if during social issues like slavery, racism, voting rights they would just say, "that's not happening to me, I don't care!"

"Did you hear how black people can't even drink from the same water fountains as white in some cities?"

"But I'm not doing that, therefore it's not real!"

Educate yourself and try to understand how your experiences aren't the entire world.

DanteFox

Being white is a privilege because the majority of Americans are white. All the things on the list of "white privilege" are simply advantages of being the majority. Once a white person is in a place where white is no longer the majority, "white privilege" disappears.

iamblades

I'm not sure how to even respond to this.

The example you gave was mocking. Not police harassment. Not going to jail. Not living in a really dangerous environment, but mocking?

Yea, I'm not seeing the lack of privilege there.

How does this group lack privilege over minorities?

Oh there are those things going on in poor white communities as well. I was merely giving an example of one of the things poor whites are subject to that blacks generally aren't to the same degree..

Go spend some time in rural appalachia and try and say with a straight face that those people have any kind of privilege over anyone at all.

eastmen

Banned
There's an interesting thing.

Has any person of color here wished they were white?

I did when I was like 12. And then there were definitely stretches until I was 18 or so.

Sounds like a weird age to wish you were white. WHen I was a teenager I was followed and harashed all the time. Hell I still have clerks at 7-11 follow me when I walk into a store and I'm a 30 year old white guy in a suit 90% of the time I walk in there.

Oh there are those things going on in poor white communities as well. I was merely giving an example of one of the things poor whites are subject to that blacks generally aren't to the same degree..

Go spend some time in rural appalachia and try and say with a straight face that those people have any kind of privilege over anyone at all.

How do the blacks in appalachia have it?

America is so new, so quick to grow and so diverse that it has a slightly unique take on race. Race is a shorthand for poverty in this country, and has been for a long time. Italians, Irish, Greeks, all had to go through the poverty mill. The difference is that none of these groups were slaves. They were all discriminated against and all require bootstraps, but the legacy of slavery and hatred is uniquely aimed at black people

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta...the-irish-slave-trade-forgotten-white-slaves/

The Irish Slave Trade – The Forgotten “White” Slaves

Before this country was founded, the Irish were brutalized by the English. 100 years ago, Irish people still weren't considered white by "polite society".

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
White Privilege deniers disgust me with just how apathetic and reductive they are. Here we have a social issue and what do they say, "that didn't happen to me! It's not real." Like if during social issues like slavery, racism, voting rights they would just say, "that's not happening to me, I don't care!"

"Did you hear how black people can't even drink from the same water fountains as white in some cities?"

Educate yourself and try to understand how your experiences aren't the entire world.

But their families didn't own slaves.

Dead Man

I wish black men were allowed to be angry. It might seem like a minor thing, but people freak out when I display genuine anger, and I am not intimidating in any way.

Bad news for you buddy. That happens to me too, and I am as white as a lily. Angry men are scary. Well, little stick men aren't, but if you have some decent size, you will be scary.

UrokeJoe

I'm out. I'm gonna stick to cheeseburgers and ice cream.

Honestly, being black has it's advantages as well.

When you're a minority, you stand out. Everyone is going to notice. Now that you have everyone's attention, what are you going to do with it? You should mother-fucking shine, that's what. And since everyone was looking at you in the first place, they'll notice the shine. This is an opportunity not available to everyone.

Esch

Banned
Being white is a privilege because the majority of Americans are white. All the things on the list of "white privilege" are simply advantages of being the majority. Once a white person is in a place where white is no longer the majority, "white privilege" disappears.

KuGsj.gif

*goes abroad*

*sees white people getting literal and metaphorical carpets rolled out for them*

Raistlin

America is so new, so quick to grow and so diverse that it has a slightly unique take on race. Race is a shorthand for poverty in this country, and has been for a long time. Italians, Irish, Greeks, all had to go through the poverty mill. The difference is that none of these groups were slaves. They were all discriminated against and all require bootstraps, but the legacy of slavery and hatred is uniquely aimed at black people. Even immigrant Chinese, who were effectively slaves, we're able to escape those shackles literally and figuratively. This is one of the reasons why I want to punch white people who bitch about affirmative action. Fuck you. Nobody can tell you're white trash if you don't act like it. Black people in the US cannot yet enjoy that luxury.
I have relatives that were indentured servants. Plenty of Irish blood went into shit like the railroad, etc. Hell, my mom was called an 'inside out nigger' growing up.

We weren't treated any better by the English either. Indentured servitude and outright slavery used to abound.

White does not always equal white.

Jburton

Banned
http://www.africaresource.com/rasta...the-irish-slave-trade-forgotten-white-slaves/

The Irish Slave Trade – The Forgotten “White” Slaves

Before this country was founded, the Irish were brutalized by the English. 100 years ago, Irish people still weren't considered white by "polite society".

I'm Irish and in my own country I can suffer discrimination, harrasment by police etc.

Also I am sure a lot of people will not consider the Irish to be a minority because they are white.

I have relatives that were indentured servants. Plenty of Irish blood went into shit like the railroad, etc. Hell, my mom was called an 'inside out nigger' growing up.

We weren't treated any better by the English either. Indentured servitude and outright slavery used to abound.

How often are Irish people still called micks or face racism based on being Catholic? I have Irish roots too. Not the same.

rando14

lolwut

JCX

Bad news for you buddy. That happens to me too, and I am as white as a lily. Angry men are scary. Well, little stick men aren't, but if you have some decent size, you will be scary.

I guess your anecdotal evidence cancels mine out!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I'm Irish and in my own country I can suffer discrimination, harrasment by police etc.

Also I am sure a lot of people will not consider the Irish to be a minority because they are white.

No. It can be relative as well. Irish people do have a history of being mistreated.

Like British gypsies seem white to my eyes, but they are persecuted.

Jburton

Banned
How often are Irish people still called micks or face racism based on being Catholic? I have Irish roots too. Not the same.

Mick job, paddy wagon, all Irish are drunks, wife beaters, violent, thick etc.

Shit still happens, derogatory stereotypes for Irish are still very prevalent in certain places.

zoku88

This is like false equivalence.

It's not about, if it happens. Yes, some white people are harassed by police.

The question is, how much?

You honestly believe these people are harassed by the police as much as black people are?

Do you think these people are as likely to not reach adulthood as poor black kids are?

"White privilege".

Yup. Because the best way to solve a situation of social inequity is to tell a group they're in the in the wrong because of how they were born.

"White privilege".

Yup. Because the best way to solve a situation of social inequity is to tell a group they're in the in the wrong because of how they were born.

Nah the best thing to do is get ridiculously defensive over getting some odds stacked in your favor upon birth. Woe is us. Smallest violin playing for some people in here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is being white (or mainly, caucasian white) a privilege in african, arabic, indoasian or asian societies?

I can't speak to all of those, but it certainly can be an advantage (comparatively to other non-Asian ethnicities--particularly blacks) in many Asian countries.

Speevy

Banned
Yes they did: services and behaviors that were not given to non-whites.

When I was in school, I got the shit beat out of me.

When I got out of school, I couldn't find a job.

As far as I can tell, my skin color has afforded me nothing.

Honestly, being black has it's advantages as well.

When you're a minority, you stand out. Everyone is going to notice. Now that you have everyone's attention, what are you going to do with it? You should mother-fucking shine, that's what. And since everyone was looking at you in the first place, they'll notice the shine. This is an opportunity not available to everyone.

Maybe if you're an athlete, but in the working world this is not true. People have the default opinion that you suck, it's an uphill battle from the get-go. Depending on the environment (not your intelligence) you may never catch up, or you may even have the opportunity to succeed quickly. Of course I'm just explaining a scenario that is very common, nothing more.

zoku88

"White privilege".

It's nothing about telling white people that they are "wrong".

It's about telling white people that society elevates them above others. (ie, saying that society is in the "wrong").

But apparently, it's not a great term at all because it makes people so freakin defensive.
When I was in school, I got the shit beat out of me.

When I got out of school, I couldn't find a job.

As far as I can tell, my skin color has afforded me nothing.

Ok, here's something.

How do you think how long these times are:

How long white graduates take to get a job
How long black graduates take to get a job

Yagharek

I have a question for African Americans here.

How does your treatment in society differ from what you know of, say, Native Americans?

What I tend to notice is that African Americans seem to have had a long history of racism, slavery back in the day, and an ongoing struggle against the old myth of inferiority that bore that out.
But Native Americans have a completely different history. They were dispossessed of their homeland, rather than being taken from it. I'm not aware of any Native American revolutionary movement through the likes of Martin Luther King and his ilk.

Are both groups seen as and treated significantly differently?

The reason I ask is that I suspect native people are subtly different in terms of how they are seen by society as a whole than any other group. I grew up in Tasmania and that state had a history of attempted genocide of the local Aboriginals, and even today there is a strong belief (wrongly held) that the genocide was completed. There are actually Tasmanian Aboriginals alive today, but a lot of people seem to think there are none. (Incidentally i think H G Wells based War of The Worlds loosely on the Tasmanian Aboriginal experience).

prwxv3

This thread is going to end horribly so I am going to say one thing only. I really hate it when anyone says "Check your privilege" venomously to white people.

Speevy

Banned
I never saw a mountain crumble into dust before my eyes, I guess erosion doesn't exist. Because only things you've personally experienced are evidence of how life works.

Had I posted anything about my experience being typical of anything, you might have a point.

This is like false equivalence.

It's not about, if it happens. Yes, some white people are harassed by police.

The question is, how much?

You honestly believe these people are harassed by the police as much as black people are?

Do you think these people are as likely to not reach adulthood as poor black kids are?

What about asians, are they also harassed by police a lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom