• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Believe it or not, gamers who like the Atelier series are NOT pedophiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always strikes me how Atelier games can have so many followers, though being niche titles. I mean, they don't have a particularly high quality, they are not graphic beast, they tend to be quite similar with each other... There's a big Italian forum where in the section devoted to jRPG people talk almost only about Atelier games (and stuffs like Neptune or Falcom titles, and as for the latter I could deal with that), and they always justify their love without admitting all the shortcomings such games have.

By they way, I see the art-style saw a worsening on PS3, Gust saw video gamers appreciated it and it become even worse. The last one seems to be better, but Meruru, Rorona, etc. are quite disgusting in presenting such young girls in such short clothes. I don't think gamers who like Atelier series are pedophiles, but I don't understand why they love such games so much.

Erm....Once you look past the young girls Atelier has a lot to offer in terms of depth.

So many judgments based off appearances in this thread. Wow I thought gamers were better than that.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So for less Pedo-ish Monikers on Gaf

Agarest Series or Atelier Series ?

lol

Agarest is worst, but it's tactic style gameplay, the story involves basically making one of the girls from that story arc fall in love with you,and thus the silly events and such that goes with that, after you finish that story arc a wedding takes place. It time skips forward and you play as the son of who ever you got with which changes your appearance as well. I think it had some effects with skills carrying over too.

The altier series is about doing task for people and meeting deadlines as you are a shop keeper and you are using the task given to you to become better. Along the way you go out and explore the world and gather alchemy ingredients and the combat is more traditional style jrpg combat. There are light pokes here and there towards some more light perversion but it's never really super bad. The guy characters are pretty much made for girls to enjoy as well.

Eusis

By they way, I see the art-style saw a worsening on PS3, Gust saw video gamers appreciated it and it become even worse.
Actually I'd argue the art STYLE got loads better, but what it was DEPICTING got worse. I imagine if you had some of the older games (Iris mainly) put through that style without dramatic character alterations like dropping their ages by 4-6 years it'd be generally considered an improvement overall with the old artstyle's main appeal being nostalgia.

And I'd definitely defend Falcom as legitimately being quality, but not Neptunia. Gust seems sort of in between, I think part of the appeal with Atelier at least is that it's doing something unique (focusing on item creation and running a business or whatever) that usually isn't tackled with other RPGs. Well, I guess Neptunia's trying for parody or something, but it seems the second worst kind of parody, worst going to the Scary Movie-type garbage.

Boss Man

So am I going to have to keep this avatar permanently because someone got defensive over his girl cartoons?

Because I'm honestly starting to feel uncomfortable (legally, socially, mentally) about this picture. I'm having these strange feelings.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So am I going to have to keep this avatar permanently because someone got defensive over his girl cartoons?

Because I'm honestly starting to feel uncomfortable (legally, socially, mentally) about this picture. I'm having these strange feelings.

I really hope you are not being serious. No one that would hold a legit discussion with you about anything in general wouldn't give a crap that your avatar is what it is what it is right now.

Erm....Once you look past the young girls Atelier has a lot to offer in terms of depth.

So many judgments based off appearances in this thread. Wow I thought gamers were better than that.

I played the first and the second Atelier on PS3. They're fairly nice RPGs, as they were on PS2 (handheld episodes, instead, are too simplistic and pretty crappy). But nothing to scream about, the same formula quite similar in each entry, and many shortcomings fans simply don't care... I wonder why.

Actually I'd argue the art STYLE got loads better, but what it was DEPICTING got worse. I imagine if you had some of the older games (Iris mainly) put through that style without dramatic character alterations like dropping their ages by 4-6 years it'd be generally considered an improvement overall with the old artstyle's main appeal being nostalgia.

And I'd definitely defend Falcom as legitimately being quality, but not Neptunia. Gust seems sort of in between, I think part of the appeal with Atelier at least is that it's doing something unique (focusing on item creation and running a business or whatever) that usually isn't tackled with other RPGs. Well, I guess Neptunia's trying for parody or something, but it seems the second worst kind of parody, worst going to the Scary Movie-type garbage.

Yeah, I was talking about that; the art style improved, subjects depicted worsened.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
After reading the OP I kinda want to try one of these games

...Oh god, please don't report me to the authorities :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I don't know how to respond to that with out coming across as an insult of some sort but, if you REALLY do feel that way. Seek help instead of insulting people that clearly don't express those feelings about the subject mater.

After reading the OP I kinda want to try one of these games

...Oh god, please don't report me to the authorities :(
Think of it less of a jRPG and more of a simulation/vn game with rpg stuff added too it :p

I played the first and the second Atelier on PS3. They're fairly nice RPGs, as they were on PS2 (handheld episodes, instead, are too simplistic and pretty crappy). But nothing to scream about, the same formula quite similar in each entry, and many shortcomings fans simply don't care... I wonder why.

*Shrug* What can I say then?

If they don't care then that's all there is to it.
Favorite games don't always have to the best, or even especially good.

cajunator

Banned

Its a cute alien rolled up in a futon. Whats wrong with that avatar?

*Shrug* What can I say then?

If they don't care then that's all there is to it.
Favorite games don't always have to the best, or even especially good.

That's why I think the appeal of the game is in their female characters. In Japan, the series saw a boost on PS3, just when designers start to put really young girls with short dresses. Probably a coincidence, but moe sells.

frequency

I guess some people can only see things in a sexual way and truly think it's impossible for other people to like things in a completely non-sexual manner. I think you need to examine yourself if you can not differentiate between general interest and sexual desire.

There is the same prejudice for "furries" and things too.

Sexual-minded people can not accept others can like things without wanting to have sex with it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That's why I think the appeal of the game is in their female characters. In Japan, the series saw a boost on PS3, just when designers start to put really young girls with short dresses. Probably a coincidence, but moe sells.

Eh I just like the art of the game over all and the soft colors, could of been a mostly male cast and I would of played it either way.

Sterkenburg-Cranach.jpg

Character art in the game swings both ways.

While we're on the subject, hate is not strong enough to express my contempt for your avatar and anything even tangentially related to T&E.

I'm pretty sure you're a cool guy, and I might agree with most of what you post if I could read it without being angry.

This is fine. We're all different. I'm sure we have more in common than differences.

Eh I just like the art of the game over all and the soft colors, could of been a mostly male cast and I would of played it either way.

Character art in the game swings both ways.

With the difference that it's not half naked, and it's probably older than 90% of the female cast.
Btw, is this from Ayesha? Because that one seems to improve the overall design.

Pedophilic? Eh there are far worse Japanese pedo-fanservice series. Terrible, terrible anime reject trash though. Writing is at brain-damaged level quality.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
I guess some people can only see things in a sexual way and truly think it's impossible for other people to like things in a completely non-sexual manner.
It all boils down to stereotypes. In one hand you have the normal-looking guy who just likes these games and in the other you have the guy who likes the games and brings a body pillow on the bus. Guess who people will think about when these games are brought up?

Anyway, it's just a bunch of fictional characters. Save your outrage and disgust for real pedophiles I say.

Ravage

It always strikes me how Atelier games can have so many followers, though being niche titles. I mean, they don't have a particularly high quality,

It has unique and deep gameplay mechanics, that's why fans love it. Nothing peculiar here honestly.

they are not graphic beast, they tend to be quite similar with each other...

Maybe you should start by asking fans of mario games? I really don't get what you are trying to insinuate here.

It has unique and deep gameplay mechanics, that's why fans love it. Nothing peculiar here honestly.

Maybe you should start by asking fans of mario games? I really don't get what you are trying to insinuate here.

Mario platforms are the best of the genre. Atelier are not the best of their genre.

scy

This thread man. This thread.

I think out of respect of this thread that I'll play through the Atelier games finally rather than letting them sit there unopened forever.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This thread man. This thread.

I think out of respect of this thread that I'll play through the Atelier games finally rather than letting them sit there unopened forever.

Do yourself a favor and skip rorona, I didn't and I kinda regret it. x.x

This is why I mostly stay away from debates with Anime/MLP/FurryGAF etc.

There is debating and then there is labeling. Guess which one happens more often with the subject matter. If you can debate about it most mods and users wont care, the second you start pulling stuff out of your ass and claiming to know everyone that likes those things acts a certain way, of course things are going to turn for the worst.

"Believe it or not, George isn't at home. Please leave messaaaaage at the beep! I must be out or I'd pick up the phone. Wheeeeere could I beeeeeee. Believe it or not, I'm not hoooome!

Dennis

Banned
I'm not from anime GAF. If anything, I'm from PC WRPG GAF, and Atelier is the best (surviving) JRPG series. BAM.

I have long been interested in trying out the Atelier series if I can find the time and this post makes me more interested.

But let me be honest. It is a little disconcerting when so many people apparently see this kind of whimsical anime artstyle as something 'pedo'.

Ravage

Mario platforms are the best of the genre. Atelier are not the best of their genre.

Dafuq? Who are you to decide what's the best of each genre for everyone?

The 'strangely large' number of followers Atelier has simply means that there are many out there who does not share your tastes and appreciate what the series has to offer. Where else would you find a deeper crafting mechanic?

You said there are better games. I'm asking, what games?

What jRPG are better than Atelier games, in this generation? Xenoblade, Resonance of Fate, Dragon Quest IX, Devil Survivor, Personas, etc. etc.

Dafuq? Who are you to decide what's the best of each genre for everyone?

The 'strangely large' number of followers Atelier has simply means that there are many out there who does not share your tastes and appreciate what the series has to offer. Where else would you find a deeper crafting mechanic?

Actually, I appreciated the series (as already stated), and I found pretty unique. Nevertheless, I've never understood why Atelier fans are so reluctant in admitting games' shortcomings.

scy

Do yourself a favor and skip rorona, I didn't and I kinda regret it. x.x

Eh ... I've probably played worse. I'm mostly sad with myself for forgetting my Meruru pre-order. No LE for me since apparently it was an actual limited run! :/

What jRPG are better than Atelier games, in this generation? Xenoblade, Resonance of Fate, Dragon Quest IX, Devil Survivor, Personas, etc. etc.

Except that's ignoring the crafting component of the franchise. Unless we're going to stick with just the broad category of jRPG, in which case every game you listed (well, maybe not Devil Survivor) has a larger following.

Actually, I appreciated the series (as already stated), and I found pretty unique. Nevertheless, I've never understood why Atelier fans are so reluctant in admitting games' shortcomings.

Doesn't this apply to a lot of game fans in general who ignore their favorite games' shortcomings?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Oh those game types are not what I was asking for. I was asking for games that are like the Atelier series

But let me be honest. It is a little disconcerting when so many people apparently see this kind of whimsical anime artstyle as something 'pedo'.

Exactly

I have long been interested in trying out the Atelier series if I can find the time and this post makes me more interested.

Some people don't like it when games choose to purposefully show the undergarments of young girls. Art looks good though.

You know how JRPGs are typically lambasted for always being about spiky-haired teenagers and their cookie-cutter friends who must save the world from ultimate evil because it’s their chosen destiny or some other bullshit? That’s exactly what the Arland trilogy of Atelier games is not. The first game, Atelier Rorona, is about a young apprentice trying to keep her shop open so she and her master aren’t exiled from the kingdom. The second game, Atelier Totori, is about a young woman searching for her missing (and presumed dead) mother. The last game, Atelier Meruru, is about a young princess trying to develop her small kingdom into a thriving place so it can merge with a neighboring republic.
This all sounds like the usual tween JRPG protagonist saving their world to me, you just changed the agnst teen boy to a girl and made it about shopping rather than killing daddy/uncle/monsters.

Luminous_Reaver

Neo Member
Got to page five before I remembered I had a Rabiteer Knight avatar over here. I normally roll with Lezard Valeth laughing maniacally.

On the subject of the latest Atelier games (not) being tailored to pedophiles...in all seriousness, it's pretty clear they're gratuitously smearing red hot sexual subtext all over the narrative. (Exaggeration) I believe it's partly a (cultural) joke (that is somewhat lost in translation) in the Japanese "haha, this is socially awkward" kind of way...in addition to being an easy way to cash in on the creepy body pillow crowd. I'd say those guys are only part of the peripheral demographic though.

So basically it's not for pedophiles, Gust just (shamelessly) wants some of their dirty money.

For the record there was fanservice and crap back when Edge Vanheight was the (rightful) protagonist, back when the series (specifically the battle system) kicked tremendous amounts of ass. Nell Ellis, fifteen years old.

scy

Some people don't like it when games choose to purposefully show the undergarments of young girls. Art looks good though.

I think some people miss the fact that even those of us who like the games don't necessarily like that as well. It's not like "sweet, panty shots!" for all of us.

This all sounds like the usual tween JRPG protagonist saving their world to me, you just changed the agnst teen boy to a girl and made it about shopping rather than killing daddy/uncle/monsters.

So going from angsty teen trying to save the world to some girl creating items are basically the same thing?

I think some of the plot rehash complaints on GAF make sense now under that logic.

I've never played the Atelier series, but my wife started with Rorona. She now owns all three PS3 releases.
What I saw was a light hearted RPG with emphasis on crafting and social interaction. To be honest it feels like it's a game designed for girls, especially as the series progressed.

It's from Meruru it's Sterken
A13_Esty.jpg

The art in Meruru is actually really good

See, had this been the picure on the first page I wouldn't have had any problems with it.
The above depiction doesn't have a super-short skirt or massive cleavage, it's portraying what looks like a teenager in an appropriate outfit.

Shahed

Okay I've been curious about the Atelier games for a while now. Been thinking about getting into them.

However i do have my reservations. A watch a lot of anime, so I'm kinda desensitized to a lot of stuff and learned to ignore it. But at the same time I couldn't play more than 30 mins of Ar Tonelico Qoga before I couldn't take it anymore.

The general mechanics of these games seem interesting. How easy would you say it is to ignore all the annoying stuff, and how much of it is there?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Okay I've been curious about the Atelier games for a while now. Been thinking about getting into them.

However i do have my reservations. A watch a lot of anime, so I'm kinda desensitized to a lot of stuff and learned to ignore it. But at the same time I couldn't play more than 30 mins of Ar Tonelico Qoga before I couldn't take it anymore.

The general mechanics of these games seem interesting. How easy would you say it is to ignore all the annoying stuff, and how much of it is there?

These games are no where near the stupidly perverted levels of that game. The moments it has them, they are normally there for a laugh.

scy

These games are no where near the stupidly perverted levels of that game. The moments it has them, they are normally there for a laugh.

I do wonder if the general direction of the thread would have been different if it was Ar Tonelico instead of Atelier.

I mean ... y'know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom