• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Believe it or not, gamers who like the Atelier series are NOT pedophiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the bonuses are nice.

FF0OVl.jpg

Can't really beat a waterproof tear and crease resistant double sided poster!
I love RPGs which I assume this series is, but as a grown man, looking at that box art, I'm sorry. No.

StayDead

I do wonder if the general direction of the thread would have been different if it was Ar Tonelico instead of Atelier.

I mean ... y'know.

There's nothing really wrong with Ar Tonelico at all. Sure it's a little bit perverted in some cases, but that's relatively normal when you look at TV for example.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I do wonder if the general direction of the thread would have been different if it was Ar Tonelico instead of Atelier.

I mean ... y'know.

Well I sure as hell wouldn't be here to defend it that's for sure. Those games are straight up fan service anyone that denies that is delusional as fuck

I love RPGs which I assume this series is, but as a grown man, looking at that box art, I'm sorry. No.
lol

StayDead

Well I sure as hell wouldn't be here to defend it that's for sure. Those games are straight up fan service anyone that denies that is delusional as fuck

There's nothing wrong with fan service, especially in Ar Tonelico. The game is made to have the fan service in so it's not as if you don't know what you're getting in to.

There's fan service in absolutely anything. Sex sells and the big media forms (all of them) have been using fan service for years and years. People seem to ignore it unless it's in a Japanese game/animation for some reason.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There's nothing wrong with fan service, especially in Ar Tonelico. The game is made to have the fan service in so it's not as if you don't know what you're getting in to.

There's fan service in absolutely anything. Sex sells and the big media forms (all of them) have been using fan service for years and years. People seem to ignore it unless it's in a Japanese game/animation for some reason.

I was more so referring to it in context with the first post.

And I'm still not sure what this whole "grown man" thing is about, what's the age limit for liking cute things?
You didn't get the memo? Guys can only like guns, hunting, war, college girls in bikini's, beer, sports, cars, and fixing things. Oh I forgot BBQing

everything else isn't manly

StayDead

This seems appropriate.

image.php

And I'm still not sure what this whole "grown man" thing is about, what's the age limit for liking cute things?

If liking cute things is wrong as a guy over the age of 16, I don't want to be right.

I'm 22 and I love cute things. Kittens, Puppies, Various other animals, Anime girls, girls in games and figures. Do I want to have sex with them? No.

I'll say what cute means to me and what hot means.

Cute = Want to care for them and protect them.
Hot = Want to have sex with.

There's a massive difference and just because somethings cute it doesn't mean I instantly want to have sex with it. Some people just think that every single guy should only like girls/things if they're manly or they can have sex with them.

Ravage

What jRPG are better than Atelier games, in this generation? Xenoblade, Resonance of Fate, Dragon Quest IX, Devil Survivor, Personas, etc. etc.

Which one of them are designed around crafting and time condition mechanics? How many of them involves time management and making crucial inventory/time-related choices with genuine consequences?

Resonance of Fate is one of my favourite JRPGs this gen. That doesn't stop me from enjoying the Atelier series because they are very different experiences.

Actually, I appreciated the series (as already stated), and I found pretty unique. Nevertheless, I've never understood why Atelier fans are so reluctant in admitting games' shortcomings.

I'm pretty sure this is true for fans of most games. Fans tend to ignore these shortcomings because (a) it didn't affect their enjoyment or (b) it's something they actually like (one man's meat is another man's poison, the reverse is true too)

This seems appropriate.

image.php

lol Fair enough but something that looks like it's made for kids is fine by me, I love cartoons and RPGs with cartoon looking characters, but who is this marketed towards with the frilly dresses and pink and flowers everywhere?

Maybe I shouldn't be so judgemental. I should check the game out. But damn that box art.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
What jRPG are better than Atelier games, in this generation? Xenoblade, Resonance of Fate, Dragon Quest IX, Devil Survivor, Personas, etc. etc.

To me, this is like comparing Mario to Megaman because they both jump on platforms, when beyond that they have nothing in common.

I love Xenoblade though. Amazing game!

scy

There's nothing really wrong with Ar Tonelico at all. Sure it's a little bit perverted in some cases, but that's relatively normal when you look at TV for example.

I don't have a problem with Ar Tonelico. I just meant how this thread would have been different if it had been Ar Tonelico instead. Atelier is rather innocent in the "pandering" it does. At worse, cute girls. Ar Tonelico is a bit more than that.

...though I still haven't played Qoga. Man, my PS3 RPG backlog is tremendous.

Female only sry.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
lol Fair enough but something that looks like it's made for kids is fine by me, I love cartoons and RPGs with cartoon looking characters, but who is this marketed towards with the frilly dresses and pink and flowers everywhere?

It's the artist style. I've already posted plenty of his male characters around. Would you be inclined to buy it if I printed out a picture of the male characters on the cover looking cool and awesome and stuff.

Just because I'm a man doesn't mean I can't appreciate frilly dresses and flowers.

Zaventem

Serah_Farron_-_Beachwear.png

Does this artstyle count as pedo? or is the Final Fantasy so huge it can avoid backlash from dudebros regardless of what age the creators say the character is.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

Maybe I shouldn't be so judgemental. I should check the game out. But damn that box art.

There is nothing wrong with that box art. It's pretty well done and cute. Better than most game's box arts nowadays.

Also, cute frilly dresses are awesome! Are you saying men can't like pink and flowers too ?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Does this artstyle count as pedo? or is the Final Fantasy so huge it can avoid backlash from dudebros regardless of what age the creators say the character is.

She's 18 in ff13 and 21 in ff13-2

Uhh I think you need to look at more girls in general if you don't think some hold her youthful look and figure and so forth up til at least mid 20's

cajunator

Banned
I was more so referring to it in context with the first post.

You didn't get the memo? Guys can only like guns, hunting, war, college girls in bikini's, beer, sports, cars, and fixing things. Oh I forgot BBQing

everything else isn't manly

What about if I like most of that plus cute things? Except beer. fuck beer.

daycru

Look, it's creepy as fuck. You can do whatever you'd like with this information. I do know that nothing gets me to scroll past a post without reading quite like an anime baby avatar.

TGMIII

Look, it's creepy as fuck. You can do whatever you'd like with this information. I do know that nothing gets me to scroll past a post without reading quite like an anime baby avatar.

image.php

I'll say this about the whole thing. I mainly play FPS/fighting games mainly but I like JRPGs and I tried out the Atelier series after a friend suggested it. I guess for anyone who doesn't watch anime or anything like that, like myself, it can be a little strange going into something with visuals like this but I can say that while playing the game it never led me to think that there was anything remotely sexual being suggested nor did it make me feel uncomfortable playing as a "cute girl does cute things" character. Far too many people are judging a book by its cover here.

Well, I'm not gonna lie, I did find the fanservicey bits kind of uncomfortable, but I recognize the cultural differences inherent in the design philosophy of a game like this.

It's irritating to me from my perspective, because the game and cute characters can stand on their own without needing to get all creepy, but having gamed through the 90s I simply can't support obliterating a product to make it more culturally acceptable for certain markets or demographics.

Basically, the one game in the series I've played is Meruru, and I thought the game would have worked no matter the kind of cute characters included. If the game had been full of cats it would have been still been fun and cute without needing the creepy bits, but since they know their demographic, they went with little girls in skirts.

BadWolf

Serah_Farron_-_Beachwear.png

Is it possible to use her FF13 outfit (with the red skirt) in 13-2?

(I have yet to get the game)

scy

I do know that nothing gets me to scroll past a post without reading quite like an anime baby avatar.

Hahaha, ohwow.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who reads every post in threads I'm in :|

If the game had been full of cats it would have been still been fun and cute without needing the creepy bits, but since they know their demographic, they went with little girls in skirts.

Moe sells for Japan :|

Yeah i got invited on 07-06-2012.Do they do this with every final fantasy game?

There was a thread of "Hahaha, ohwow" reactions to that DLC.

daycru

Listen, as long as you guys aren't luring kids into a van, with promises of candy, you can like whatever creepy games you want.
Pretty much. Princess Princess so Kawaii!!! 3: Heavenly Six Year Olds keeps ageisjustanumberjapanboilol69 in front of the import Sega Saturn and out of the middle schools.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Pretty much. Princess Princess so Kawaii!!! 3: Heavenly Six Year Olds keeps ageisjustanumberjapanboilol69 in front of the import Sega Saturn and out of the middle schools.

What... the hell are you even going on about? Oh holy shit nvm LOL you just called half the people in this thread pedophiles way to go.

Ra1den

Dude...I am not somebody that likes "cute things." But when I look at those covers, I am amazed with the beautiful art style. Do you not see how gorgeous that artwork is? The city designs, the floral patterns, the coloring...I appreciate these like I would a painting. It does not mean you are into "cute things" or anything like that.

Theonik

I don't know I mean, in AT3, some special attacks DO basically have the characters essentially stripping. Not that it matters but there is a difference in the level of pandering and the frequency of it between the games.

scy

You're actually serious, too, aren't you?

EVOL 100%

Dude, seriously what the fuck.

Is it that hard to not like these games and aesthetics (I sure as hell do not) and not make great sweeping dumb generalizations about the people who enjoy them?

TGMIII

Like Grav said early on, people need to give it a chance.

I understand how people could have negative preconceptions and honestly if they don't want to try it then whatever but some of the replies in this thread are straight up stupid. Nothing short of being forced at gunpoint is going to make some of these people give it a try, or at least even educate themselves.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I understand how people could have negative preconceptions and honestly if they don't want to try it then whatever but some of the replies in this thread are straight up stupid. Nothing short of being forced at gunpoint is going to make some of these people give it a try, or at least even educate themselves.

And that's basically all I'm asking for. Gameplay is an acquired taste, I just wish the offensive criminal label would go.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

It's fine if peopole don't want to try them for the looks, but you can tell a lot of the troll ass replies didn't even read the first post

Zaventem

Is it possible to use her FF13 outfit (with the red skirt) in 13-2?

(I have yet to get the game)

Nope.

I don't know I mean, in AT3, some special attacks DO basically have the characters essentially stripping.

Well, i think when we compare games West vs East, they're more open towards sexuality in games like we are to violence. Japan is the land of cute so they tend to mix the two and it can sometimes come off strange to us, who definition of sexiness is.. more i dunno aggressive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom