• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Believe it or not, gamers who like the Atelier series are NOT pedophiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVOL 100%

No, I'm not labeling anyone. I'm just saying that there are things in the game that are questionable and the intention of the material is clear.

The second bit wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the people who seemed to be fond of generalizing.

For the record, I do not enjoy the moe kawaii aesthetics in these games and in anime at all, and I haven't played the games and I don't have any intention to do so. It's just disappointing that some people are so very eager to call a sizable amount of this site pedophiles based on kneejerk reactions. Come on now.

Bizazedo

the first girl is

at least to me, i don't think theres any indication that the highly stylized illustration can be considered pedo, rather its just highly stylized.

Actually, I guessed pretty close to being correct on the live action shots. I thought mid 20's.

The artistic rendering still seems younger.

And Q, that character you're saying is 40 looks mid to late 20's to me.

And saying it's art cuts both ways. If I say it looks like a child or a teen to me and it's not supposed to be, the artist failed in some way.

scy

I love how the majority defending this crap have little anime girl avatars.
TBH, I'm just sick of this ridiculous "Kawaii" fad. It was fine when one or two loli's were plaguing my favourite anime series/games with their cliché tropes as I could ignore them, but now that the industry is practically dominated by this shit I'm finding it hard not to lose my patience.

I just don't get how people can justify playing or watching a series where it constantly sexualizes underage girls. I don't care if you like the gameplay, your still supporting this shit! I also don't understand why people are attracted to these characters in the first place. They all more or less have the same stupid doped-up face and are just varied by generic anime hair styles. Sure you can say your under age "waifu" is different and technically legal due to being a 1000 year old dragon-girl, but in the end they're all the same, just tagged with a different run-of-the-mill tropey personality.

Sure, I'm a hater, and guess what? I'm gonna hate.
I hate being associated with this god-awful fad just because I like Anime. Have fun wishing to be a little girl, banging a little girl, watching little girls do little girl things, or whatever it is. In the end, it's just plain sad.

Wow.

What the fuck? How are they even related? Being gay, female, and (any non-white) race are not things that intelligent, rational human beings have any problem with. Pedophilia is absolutely something that all intelligent, rational human beings should have a problem with, because it is a severe, dangerous disorder.

I think it's more that it can be used as an insult like that.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
What the fuck? How are they even related? Being gay, female, and (any non-white) race are not things that intelligent, rational human beings have any problem with. Pedophilia is absolutely something that all intelligent, rational human beings should have a problem with, because it is a severe, dangerous disorder.

I think you completely failed to understand what he was saying.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Liking certain games does not a pedophile make. Calling people that so casually should be treated the same as racist, homophobic and sexist remarks on this forum.

think about it, what it means if someone call you a pedo without reason.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Actually, I guessed pretty close to being correct on the live action shots. I thought mid 20's.

And saying it's art cuts both ways. If I say it looks like a child or a teen to me and it's not supposed to be, the artist failed in some way.

I blame the faces he draws honestly. The body areas seem about right, but the faces are really off for age. Basicly every girl he draws is a baby face.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Since when is K-On NOT otaku bait?

And I'm saying that as someone who likes K-On.
Uh, since forever? It's a show with a large fanbase consisting of both genders and different ages. It didn't become as successful as it did by being otaku bait, lol.

The show was also worked on by a large number of female staffers, and the show's director is female. The show even airs on Disney Channel Japan. How is it otaku bait in any way?

Blasty

Because pantyshots aren't really inherently sexual, they're usually just there for laughs or just there because it makes sense -- they wear panties under there right? I mean, you can find little girl pantyshots in Miyazaki and Takahata movies.

It's your view of pantyshots which is causing the issue.

Fan-service needs to disappear entirely and panty shots are a form of it. When I see fan service of girls clearly underage it just annoys me (and most people) and makes me want to drop the game or anime. I don't see how it would "make sense" or induce laughter.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
It isn't. You're clearly not looking hard enough to find the good stuff.

Kawaii little girl things have been around forever.

Your mad if you think it's been around to this extent. Like I said, it was fine back when there was one token little girl, but now most series are based on little girls doing little girl things.

Also, you say I "should look hard enough"?
That's exactly the point. I don't want to waste my time finding a good, RECENT, anime that isn't related to this shit. It should be just as easy finding one of those as it is finding shitty moekawaiiuguu show #983643840402.

I bet you I could screencap numerous pantyshots from a number of """""old school respectable anime""""""""""""""""

Is the early 1970s old enough?

Errrr, what? I'm sure you could, but nowhere did I say that I equate all old-school anime with being "respectable."

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I love how the majority defending this crap have little anime girl avatars.
TBH, I'm just sick of this ridiculous "Kawaii" fad. It was fine when one or two loli's were plaguing my favourite anime series/games with their cliché tropes as I could ignore them, but now that the industry is practically dominated by this shit I'm finding it hard not to lose my patience.

I just don't get how people can justify playing or watching a series where it constantly sexualizes underage girls. I don't care if you like the gameplay, your still supporting this shit! I also don't understand why people are attracted to these characters in the first place. They all more or less have the same stupid doped-up face and are just varied by generic anime hair styles. Sure you can say your under age "waifu" is different and technically legal due to being a 1000 year old dragon-girl, but in the end they're all the same, just tagged with a different run-of-the-mill tropey personality.

Sure, I'm a hater, and guess what? I'm gonna hate.
I hate being associated with this god-awful fad just because I like Anime. Have fun wishing to be a little girl, banging a little girl, watching little girls do little girl things, or whatever it is. In the end, it's just plain sad.

I don't normally do this, but

ChPj7.jpg

scy

I feel like this thread must have broke some sort of record for having the most anime girl avatars.

Makes me kind of want to go back to my Umineko avatar.

Your mad if you think it's been around to this extent. Like I said, it was fine back when there was one token little girl, but now most series are based on little girls doing little girl things.

That's exactly the point. I don't want to waste my time finding a good, RECENT, anime that isn't related to this shit. It should be just as easy finding one of those as it is finding shitty moekawaiiuguu show #983643840402.

I'd like to note there's been "moekawaiiuguu" pretty much every season for probably forever. Yes, there's more of those kinds of characters in general but it's not necessarily something JUST now.

The moeblob slice-of-life K-On clones did have a sharp rise in quantity for awhile though. I've been MIA from AnimeGAF for awhile so I don't even know what's gone on the last year or so.

Fan-service needs to disappear entirely and panty shots are a form of it. When I see fan service of girls clearly underage it just annoys me (and most people) and makes me want to drop the game or anime. I don't see how it would "make sense" or induce laughter.

I feel exactly the same.

Kusagari

Uh, since forever? It's a show with a large fanbase consisting of both genders and different ages. It didn't become as successful as it did by being otaku bait, lol.

The show was also worked on by a large number of female staffers, and the show's director is female. The show even airs on Disney Channel Japan. How is it otaku bait in any way?

The insanely high dvd sales for K-On suggest that it has a huge otaku fanbase. I'm not denying that it has a good share of female fans, but I've always assumed the main part of the fanbase was otaku. Hell, there are numerous news articles talking about K-On otaku doing something crazy.

I don't live in Japan, so if it actually does have an equal fanbase there, then I'll admit I was wrong. Like I said, I do like the show.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

This isn't too far off from the truth. After Haruhi/Lucky Star/K On took turns being popular slice of life moeblob stuff became more common. Of course there are still plenty of good shows on but honestly around that point in time I ditched anime for the most part and stuck solely to manga. oh and I know that Haruhi doesn't really completely fit into that category but it was a precursor for it

jman2050

K-on attracts pervert otakus but it is not an otaku bait show.

The show sucks horribly but that's not really a criticism one can levy against it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

It is, though.

Drencrom

Because pantyshots aren't really inherently sexual, they're usually just there for laughs or just there because it makes sense -- they wear panties under there right? I mean, you can find little girl pantyshots in Miyazaki and Takahata movies.

It's your view of pantyshots which is causing the issue.

I think most people share my sentiment about panty shots of teens and children though.
It's just shallow and perverse pandering in the end and I don't understand why you're defending it, one of the many things that just shits up anime and manga.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I don't normally do this, but

Cool, they have the same art style. Now add another couple of 100 underage girls in the "Anime now" section, and we'll get something that's actually correct.
I'm not saying they wasn't pedobait in old-school anime, I'm saying that there's way, way, way more now.

Risette

A Good Citizen

By hard enough I meant looking at all. Because if you did, you'd find out you were wrong!

I think most people share my sentiment about panty shots of teens and children though.
It's just shallow and perverse pandering in the end and I don't understand why you're defending it, one of the many things that just shits up anime and manga.
Just because most people share them doesn't make them right.

scy

This isn't too far off from the truth. After Haruhi/Lucky Star/K On took turns being popular slice of life moeblob stuff became more common.

To be fair, most of those clones were bad anyway :x I don't think many people watched them anyhow.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To be fair, most of those clones were bad anyway :x I don't think many people watched them anyhow.

That's pretty much his complaint though. But there has been plenty of decent to great anime the last 3 years I've watched that doesn't fit into that slot besides Anohana

that's because its a cartoon. it doesn't have to look realistic. is it really impossible to think that they could be the same age any more than these could be the same age:
0day4.jpg

XDgGe.jpg

think about it, what it means if someone call you a pedo without reason.

I get the feeling that in their mind you are either already a pedo or at least on the path to it, they have a "reason" so to speak based on say an avatar or show watching preference therefore they are doing everyone a favour by pointing this out and maybe feel they are in fact trying to save you.
Of course this is me making assumptions myself now, I can't actually tell what angle these people are going for, it could just be wanting to bring you down for liking something they don't like.
Safe to say though it's a horrible label to so easily attach to people.

So what's the deal with "pedophile" being the spelling now

Is including the A just a British thing or what
My often unreliable British spell check informs me that it is.

EVOL 100%

Just because most people share them doesn't make them right.

I don't quite see why you're defending it though. Do pantyshots and fanservice bring any artistic value to the medium in which they're portrayed?

That picture that was posted with the tentacles before: Was there any reason to not portray the girl without a gratuitous pantyshot?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't quite see why you're defending it though. Do pantyshots and fanservice bring any artistic value to the medium in which they're portrayed?

That picture that was posted with the tentacles before: Was there any reason to not portray the girl without a gratuitous pantyshot?
Why would there not be a pantyshot if she is wearing a skirt and she is placed at that angle? Do you want her to have no panties at all?

I mean even if she had bloomers under there people would still be outraged I think.

Also I'm not defending that art, I'm just saying pantyshots are not really sexual.

scy

That's pretty much his complaint though. But there has been plenty of decent to great anime the last 3 years I've watched that doesn't fit into that slot besides Anohana

It sounds like his complaint was more that they're everywhere and it's practically all that gets aired. That's not really true. There's more per season, sure, but it's still not the ENTIRETY of a new season. There are more of those kinds of characters even in "mainstream" shows, though. I do agree with that.

I just disagree that it's overtaken everything in the way he's trying to depict it.

Then again, I still enjoy shitty harems occasionally so I'm part of the problem.

http://www.animeph.com/summer-2012-new-anime-season-preview-list

Here's Summer 2012.

A good deal of moe shows, but hardly the majority.

I retract my defense, that looks to be a poor lineup.

...I need to catch up on everything I missed since like Spring 2011. Damn.

Drencrom

survivor

Banned
Okay, I won't stop you from enjoying it. But don't be surprised if people raise an eyebrow.

I know truly understand why the anime industry have been in the shitter for a couple of years though. People actually want fanservice and series about underage girls.

That's incorrect

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I think it's more that it can be used as an insult like that.

Ok yeah, I see now that's what he meant. The way I initially read it, it was like he was saying since it's not ok to dislike gays or blacks, then it's also not ok to dislike pedophiles, which is a ridiculous statement and hence my response.

On a different note, I'm kind of confused about how the arbitrarily assigned age of a fictional animated character can be used to justify the actual physical appearance of the character when there is a clear discrepancy. If I draw a character that has the physical characteristics of a 6 years old and say the character is 30, that doesn't mean I drew a physically adult character.

EVOL 100%

Why would there not be a pantyshot if she is wearing a skirt and she is placed at that angle? Do you want her to have no panties at all?

I mean even if she had bloomers under there people would still be outraged I think.

No no, what I mean is: Why does she have to be drawn in that particular position and angle in which drawing underwear is necessary?

Are Ghibli films respectable enough? What about something made by Takahata & Miyazaki before Ghibli?

I have no idea what you're talking about right now. I was refering specifically to Finaika's avatar, and I singled it out because it struck me as an avatar featuring an anime broad that's far removed from what has become the norm on the internet. No cutesy, saucer-eyed kid/teenager from some weeaboo-pandering show striking a pose. I don't know what it's from, but that avatar has an air of grace about it that's worth a thousand K-On avatars, or whatever's hip with weeaboos these days.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ok yeah, I see now that's what he meant. The way I initially read it, it was like he was saying since it's not ok to dislike gays or blacks, then it's also not ok to dislike pedophiles, which is a ridiculous statement and hence my response.

On a different note, I'm kind of confused about how the arbitrarily assigned age of a fictional animated character can be used to justify the actual physical appearance of the character when there is a clear discrepancy. If I draw a character that has the physical characteristics of a 6 years old and say the character is 30, that doesn't mean I drew a physically adult character.

It means you drew a 30 year old who sadly suffered from certain hormonal imbalances and thus did not develop adult characteristics. Truly a tragedy. :(

Kusagari

I retract my defense, that looks to be a poor lineup.

...I need to catch up on everything I missed since like Spring 2011. Damn.

The lineup does suck. There's almost nothing good at all.

But I'd argue against most of them being moe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom