• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bend Studio animator Robert Morrison responds to The Last of Us 1 Remake regarding 'Cash Grab'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how overt lies help his case when trying to justify this game.

"Actually it’s the most meticulously built and crafted project that I have ever seen or been a part of in my entire career."

It's obviously not, you complete and utter BS'r. You have entirely avoided meticulously building: characters, script, plot, gameplay, environments etc. you know, those things that make up a game.

When I trace over someones cool artwork (coz I cant draw for shit but like to pretend I can), I dont claim that it is "the most meticulously built and crafted project that I have ever seen or been a part of", if anything it would make me appreciate the original work even more.

I expect this type of rhetoric to continue. Justifying that price tag is a serious uphill battle for anyone who isn't a superfan.

SSfox

Bloodborne very much needs more a remake than TLOU1. On PS5 Bloodborne is still 1080p30fps with frame-pacing while TLOU1 is locked 1800p60fps
Bloodborne doesn't need more than a 4K 60 fps patch
nXFf7PS.png

You guys really seem to enjoy and like keep buying and playing the same games over and over
qUmnLXd.png

Last edited:

Dane

So when I look at The Last of Us Remastered and compare it to The Last of Us Part II, the difference is just enormous. You just have to remember that TLOU Remastered is still a PS3 game at its core, or based on it.

The price is also about the only thing I would also criticise for exactly this reason.
Yes, the pricing is the biggest issue, none of the PS remasters were full priced, even Tlou Remastered on PS4 which was meant to be full priced got a 10 dollar price cut at the last minute and it included Left Behind DLC. I'm playing Xenoblade Definitive Edition, the changes are more noticeable due to the Wii being an turbo Gamecube and it includes an extra story mode, but I'd say it should be at least 10 bucks less than full price.

Salz01

It’s not just the pricing that’s the issue, it’s a game that has cut content.

No Factions…..

No matter what they say or do, the game didn’t need a remake. Would have been better to go right into TLOU3, spend resources there. Maybe have more flashbacks for newbies that watch the show….

I want more high quality cash grabs. How about a Bloodborne cash grab? TLoU2 Part II Director's Cut with additional content?

Last edited:
Did anyone say something about bets?

I still can't wrap my head around how to justify the existence of this Remake when the Remaster and Original aren't that old. The game might be rough on the original platforms but the PS4 Remaster holds up immensely well. It's just that Sony and Naughty Dog want more money. Just look at how lucrative to Take-Two and Rockstar re-release GTAs is. It's all about the Money.

iorek21

Persona 5 Royal made sense because it had refined gameplay, tweaks in game design, extra bosses, a whole new semester, companion and ending. Let alone the new sidequests and regions to explore.

That’s how you re-release a game.

TLOU1, as of now, seems to be just a graphical upgrade.

Topher

Gold Member
Persona 5 Royal made sense because it had refined gameplay, tweaks in game design, extra bosses, a whole new semester, companion and ending. Let alone the new sidequests and regions to explore.

That’s how you re-release a game.

TLOU1, as of now, seems to be just a graphical upgrade.

That's not correct. There is refined gameplay, improved controls, and new enemy AI in the TLOU remake as well as the graphical overhaul.

iorek21

That's not correct. There is refined gameplay, improved controls, and new enemy AI in the TLOU remake as well as the graphical overhaul.
Okay, but are those gameplay tweaks going to make any difference in the already established level design of TLOU1? Those improvements made sense in Part 2 because the levels were designed to accommodate them, arenas were bigger and had lots of stealth and combat opportunities. As of now, they haven’t said a thing about redesigning combat arenas making new stuff.

The updates in gameplay in the remake can be pretty much useless when applied to the limited level design of the first game.

Topher

Gold Member
Okay, but are those gameplay tweaks going to make any difference in the already established level design of TLOU1? Those improvements made sense in Part 2 because the levels were designed to accommodate them, arenas were bigger and had lots of stealth and combat opportunities. As of now, they haven’t said a thing about redesigning combat arenas making new stuff.

The updates in gameplay in the remake can be pretty much useless when applied to the limited level design of the first game.

Good questions, but I don't think we know if levels were redesigned to accommodate the "modernized" gameplay. Obviously that is the hope and I think really it is necessary to do that if they are going to convince people to pay $70. Naughty Dog needs to do a gameplay deep dive and show exactly how this is going to work.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Not sure how overt lies help his case when trying to justify this game.

"Actually it’s the most meticulously built and crafted project that I have ever seen or been a part of in my entire career."

It's obviously not, you complete and utter BS'r. You have entirely avoided meticulously building: characters, script, plot, gameplay, environments etc. you know, those things that make up a game.

When I trace over someones cool artwork (coz I cant draw for shit but like to pretend I can), I dont claim that it is "the most meticulously built and crafted project that I have ever seen or been a part of", if anything it would make me appreciate the original work even more.

I expect this type of rhetoric to continue. Justifying that price tag is a serious uphill battle for anyone who isn't a superfan.

Right, because you know his work experiences as a developer better than he does. Get a grip.

aclar00

This needs to have the same, if not better graphical jump as Demon Souls and the mechanics of TLOU2. Either way im personally not spending more than $50 on this.

Topher

Gold Member
This needs to have the same, if not better graphical jump as Demon Souls and the mechanics of TLOU2. Either way im personally not spending more than $50 on this.

I wouldn't say TLOU to TLOU Part 2 was the same graphical jump as Demon Souls to Demon Souls Remake so don't think that should be expectation here either.

Bartski

Gold Member
Lol no shit it's the new engine, we already have a remaster with the old engine with bells and whistles :lollipop_squinting:

This is the bare minimum required to still ask for 80 euros without multyplayer, this guy make it look like they are doing something extraordinary lmao.
I expect a SoP anytime soon, should be clear when it's over

Last edited:

GymWolf

I expect a SoP anytime soon, should be clear when it's over
What clarification do you need?

I think this remake is pretty straight forward.

Tlou1 with graphic and gameplay mechanics from tlou2, probably with a 4k60 mode to make it more worthy and use ps5 power, maybe some stretched up section to prolong the game time a little.

Onestly, If we get a sensible upgrade in animations and ia it's already grasso che cola.

Last edited:

NickFire

I thought they would release a single PS5 version of the two games together and would have bought it without question. I did not expect them to release only part of the 1st one and charge a brand new game price for it. Total cash grab in my humble opinion.

You know, it'd be hilarious if this ended up being as bad as Sonic Colors Ultimate or Silent Hill HD Collection.

Not that I'm making an avatar bet there or anything, just saying.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What clarification do you need?

I think this remake is pretty straight forward.

Tlou1 with graphic and gameplay mechanics from tlou2, probably with a 4k60 mode to make it more worthy and use ps5 power, maybe some stretched up section to prolong the game time a little.

Onestly, If we get a sensible upgrade in animations and ia it's already grasso che cola.
The trailer was 1440p 60 fps like the TLOU2 BC patch. You might get a 4k 30 fps mode like the Uncharted 4 remaster.

Strategize

Because you are comparing a title taking an existing franchise to a bold new direction to a cash grab overpriced remaster marketed as a “remake”?
More innovation =/= More meticulous (aka more finely detailed). Nowhere did he state that this was the freshest or the most innovative title he's worked on, he was very specific with his words.

Even Ragnorok won't be more meticulous this product nevermind 2018. Only Rockstar have shown to match or even exceed Naughty Dog in meticulous detail at this level.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good questions, but I don't think we know if levels were redesigned to accommodate the "modernized" gameplay. Obviously that is the hope and I think really it is necessary to do that if they are going to convince people to pay $70. Naughty Dog needs to do a gameplay deep dive and show exactly how this is going to work.
They did mention some areas were reworked to accommodate the new gameplay elements. To what extent, we will find out.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't understand. If

Ok, so you don't wanna buy it. Others do? If there are people who want to play it and buy it, the game is not unnecessary for them.

Is every game that doesn't appeal to you personally unnecessary? I still don't understand the problem here 🤷‍♂️

Where exactly did I say the game didn't appeal to me?

If a big Mac is $15 and I don't want to buy it, does that mean I hate big macs?

Overpaying for something doesn't make it ideal, it just means some people are willing to pay more.

How about this, how about we make all games $199. If you don't like that I can just say you don't like games and shouldn't complain.

taizuke

TLOU Remastered was originally $60 and then lowered to $50 after much backlash.

And if the Remaster had never been released I would have no problem paying $70. I know the game will feature lots of improvements but my problem is not with what we're getting but that like so many of you i have bought the game twice already and it seems unfair to have to pay full price for the Remake.

Lower the price to $50 and the special edition to $80 and I'm good.

Ellery

TLOU Remastered was originally $60 and then lowered to $50 after much backlash.

And if the Remaster had never been released I would have no problem paying $70. I know the game will feature lots of improvements but my problem is not with what we're getting but that like so many of you i have bought the game twice already and it seems unfair to have to pay full price for the Remake.

Lower the price to $50 and the special edition to $80 and I'm good.

To be completely fair, and I agree with you about the 50 and 80 $ price points, the game will be on sale extremely fast. I have seen Demon's Souls (originally 80€ here) for 20-25€ physical in stores less than 8 months later.

I am not sure why people expect it to sell well. It is not going to move 10+ million units. So it might even get a price cut/sale quite quickly.

paolo11

If they need to remake it, can’t they wait till ps6? I mean I don’t mind cuz it looks good but the ps4 remaster still looks awesome. I guess the ps3 Tlou visuals are so advanced at that no major improvement is needed. That’s just my opinion

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

It's one of my favorite games but I'm not spending any money on this. I'm sure incorporating the tlou2 engine took work but until I see substantial improvements I'll won't be interested.

dugdug

Banned
Genuinely unreal how upset people get when they hear the title of this game or the developer.

I don't remember anywhere near this amount of vitriol when Demon's Souls remake came out but I wonder what the difference was oh wait it's because the original game was made by Japanese devs.

mave198

$70 to play the same game I played a few years ago with a few tweaks to gameplay and nicer graphics is a cash grab.

He's not fooling anyone.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Genuinely unreal how upset people get when they hear the title of this game or the developer.

I don't remember anywhere near this amount of vitriol when Demon's Souls remake came out but I wonder what the difference was oh wait it's because the original game was made by Japanese devs.

Did demon Souls have a ps4 remake?
Also it was priced too high too.

Pilgrimzero

Buy it for full price again for the third time! Yeah, it's a cash grab.

I love TLOU though and I'll get it when it's on a deep sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom