• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders endorses Hillary Clinton for president

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk2025

I'm in the exact position and I've never voted before. However, I'm definitely leaning towards voting for her because:
  1. She shifted left on healthcare - I don't care if she had this position 25 years ago. That is not the position she had when I heard her in the primaries, so shifting left here pleases me. Still not the ideal position, but a huge step towards Single Payer
  2. Same with education - like above, not enough as it excludes families making over 125K which is dumb. It also doesn't detail what contributions the family has to make, still a step in the right direction
  3. She is very strong on gun law reform
  4. Very strong on racial injustice and on LGBT rights
  5. Pathway to citizenship to illegal immigrants who do not have a criminal record
  6. Strong on green energy and changes needed for climate change
  7. Guaranteed paid family leave
  8. Voting rights
  9. Women and minorities rights
  10. Apparently wants to make changes on campaign finance and break up big banks
  11. Her working with Sanders shows me she is willing to go further if needed
  12. And especially, this - One open spot that the senate is not going to allow Obama to appoint. Three more are probably going to retire or maybe die. They are older and 2 are left leaning (83 and 77 years old) and one is right leaning (79 years old). It is EXTREMELY scary to think 7/9 judges would be appointed by Republicans, up to 4 by Trump.

There are other stuff that I like as well, but it's similar to what Trump has, i.e. reshoring whenever possible, fix our crappy ass infrastructure (bridges, roads, public transport, etc), taking care of our veterans, etc

When looking at that, one can see how similar her policies are with Sanders'. All the list above except for the last, most important point is for naught if she doesn't have congress come 2018.

I think she is a major liar though. She is also hawkish as fuck. A snake in the grass and a flip flopper. A panderer and a demagogue. I have not forgotten the quick "NO" for gay marriage in NY and how private prisons backed her. I do believe people can change and she might have been ignorant before and has genuinely changed. I will have to see it though.

At the end of the day, I'm registered in arguably the most important purple state and I think I'll most likely drag my ass there and vote for here, but I'll see what happens in the general and see if she will go back to her positions when the primaries started.

Consider this:

Which half of your post is rational and based on observables, and which half is your gut emotional feeling? What part is more important, and what part can you justify more with actual evidence?

User1608

Banned
You know, I was harsh and a bit venomous towards Bernie the last few months, but I am so happy to see more unity and really hope everybody can work together despite differences to prevent an evil, racist man from becoming POTUS.

benjipwns

Banned
Can someone explain why Sanders still hasn't dropped out of the race?
There's technically nothing to "drop out" from other than the convention tally. He could, like Hillary did at the convention in 2008, move to suspend the roll call and nominate by acclimation. But that's mostly about it.

A major reason is probably related to FEC regulations. Have to pay vendors, outstanding contracts, staffers, etc. There were similar reasons why Governor's were waiting to enter the 2016 race, while sitting Senators were hopping in early. It has to do with what exactly constitutes campaign fundraising, campaign spending, campaign activity, etc.

"Suspending" a campaign basically means they're shifting to paying these off though usually it's debts, I don't know if Sanders has as many as normal as he's run a pretty close to pay-as-you-go campaign. Not like Hillary in 2008.

rekameohs

Banned
I think Bernie's debate performance in the primary was generally pretty crap, but he's got some nice speeches, like this one.

r/S4P is comedy gold right now

Sanders4Pres is
rejoice.png
rejoice.png
right now.

Watching TYT cover these upset Bernie fans, it's clear it's not about policy.

Some people will inaccurately say that she's a Republican in sheep's clothing. But as per usual with most voters, it's not about the issues.

Lol, my Facebook feed is pretty funny. A few people think that this endorsement will actually help him beat Hillary, and someone else says today is the worst day of her life because she feels she's been betrayed by Bernie.

kirblar

Politics is like WWE, they count on the audience to ignore whatever happened at least 4 weeks ago.
The parties (GOP especially) are like WWE in that they haven't caught on to the fact that Youtube and the internet make it impossible to erase your past and have changed the rules of engagement. "Pivoting to the center" no longer exists. Clinton standing her ground on most issues instead of getting pulled leftward (at least, during the debates/primary) wasn't an accident- their team understood the new rules of engagement.

Wilsongt

People hate Hillary for a lot of reasons. Yet, to blindly jump on the JillNotHill train shows an extreme lack of understanding policies and politics as a whole.

Your political revolution shouldn't rest with a woman who literally just said that nuclear power plants are nuclea weapons.

pigeon

Banned
He said that she wasn't qualified for President, now he's endorsing her for President? Politics are weird.

This is why a lot of people thought it was dumb for him to say that when he knew he'd eventually have to endorse her.

The leaks on it sounded like he just got pissed off and did it without too much consideration.

Otnopolit

Lol, my Facebook feed is pretty funny. A few people think that this endorsement will actually help him beat Hillary, and someone else says today is the worst day of her life because she feels she's been betrayed by Bernie.

It sounds like a lot of young people having false expectations of what the political system is and how it isn't a game show...? Saying this will increase his odds is unintentionally, hilariously naive.

Azzanadra

This is why a lot of people thought it was dumb for him to say that when he knew he'd eventually have to endorse her.

The leaks on it sounded like he just got pissed off and did it without too much consideration.

Just politics as useful as far as I am concerned, ever see concession speeches from the general opponents who lost, ala McCain or Romney? The level of vitriol thrown in the general is on a whole different level, yet even those guys make amends publicly.

Anyways, as for this event itself, we all knew it was going to happen but I am glad Bernie stayed as long as he did. Although I did wish that he pushed the Palestine/Israel issue as part of the concessions.... I don't understand how how Clinton can support Bibi, he's done things Trump wishes he could do.

My FB feed is pretty salty right now but 80% of the Bernie stans on my friend's list (there are a lot, I live in the most liberal neighborhood in my city) are already begrudgingly admitting they need to vote for Hillary.

On the other extreme end, I know a Bernie delegate that is openly posting looking for other delegates that would be willing to try to disrupt the floor in Philly.

Cipherr

i'm surfing different facebook comment sections reveling in the bitterness flowing from diehard sanders supporters. calling him a turncoat, a traiter, "one of them," a backstabbing liar, confused as to how he could endorse hillary after directly/indirectly calling her corrupt, and just so much

That's what he gets for fanning those flames in the first place.

Yep. That's all on him. Beat that fucking drum when he knew better, so eat the backlash breh.

Just glad honestly that hes on his way back 'home'. Was completely sick of him more than 2 months ago, and Im just .... done. Glad this is out of the way since so many people seemed to feel that his endorsement was suuuuper important (I disagree, but its done so whatever).

Time to focus on whats important.

Nah, I don't care for the candidates. Say what you want, but I'd rather have Trump than Hillary. ;)

I'd say you don't really actually care for Bernie's positions on how the country should be run if you support Trump despite him and his platforms essentially going against pretty much all that Bernie stands for. This isn't a sporting event. The way people live is at stake.

SpacLock

I don't see any positive progression with either Hillary or Trump. To top it off, theyre both dishonest pieces of shit, in my opinion. At least with Trump I believe there will be a possibility of chaos that might change the election process in a positive way before the next cycle. Maybe by then we can get some real candidates in the running. But who knows.

Ozigizo

At least with Trump I believe there will be a possibility of chaos that might change the election process in a positive way before the next cycle.

Lol. So you would take all the incredibly bad things that would happen under Trump just to get your next Sanders?

Jesus, man.

Xe4

Banned
I don't see any positive progression with either Hillary or Trump. To top it off, theyre both dishonest pieces of shit, in my opinion. At least with Trump I believe there will be a possibility of chaos that might change the election process in a positive way before the next cycle. maybe the. We can get some real candidates in the running.

Accelerationism has never ever been a good plan, and good things have never come out of it.

And as for you saying they're both dishonest pieces of shit, I'd like to see the receipts. As far as I can tell, Hillary is no more or less dishonest than the average politician, Obama and Sanders included.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, I don't care for the candidates. Say what you want, but I'd rather have Trump than Hillary. ;)

You see, I can't get behind people who bend their positions through pettiness like this.
Like Bernie said earlier at the rally, it shouldn't be solely about these candidates, but their positions. Hillary and Trump are night and day with regards to that.

What about Bernie appealed to you so much that makes jumping to Trump your "compromise" of all things?

I don't see any positive progression with either Hillary or Trump. To top it off, theyre both dishonest pieces of shit, in my opinion. At least with Trump I believe there will be a possibility of chaos that might change the election process in a positive way before the next cycle. Maybe by then we can get some real candidates in the running. But who knows.

Let me inform you that it wouldn't go that way at all. You empower Trump's positions, and you'll easily be dealing with "chaos" for the next couple of decades in your life thanks to stacked SCOTUS and legislative branch, with no guarantee that the system will ever be fixed.
That's the bet you'd wager?

Cranster

Banned
He said that she wasn't qualified for President, now he's endorsing her for President? Politics are weird.

That's not what he said here.

“Here’s the truth,” Sanders said. “I’ve known Hillary Clinton for 25 years. I respect Hillary Clinton. We were colleagues in the Senate, and on her worst day, she would be an infinitely better president than either of the Republican candidates.”

“She’s qualified?” Guthrie asked.

“Of course,” Sanders said, “but the point is I would hope we get away from these attacks, which by the way, the media likes very much, and start focusing — maybe we can do that today — on the real issues.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom