• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk 2016 Anime |OT| Prelude to the CGI Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The arc is meant to re-introduce Gattsu as the black swordsman after Band of the Hawk before moving on to the next major plot movement with the knights. Since the new anime does not have band of the hawk, it doesn't need that, although it could've been fine like a 90s Berserk anime ep1 if they wanted. But obviously they didn't want to animate it because
naked dead children
would be a problem and I don't have a problem with that. Also if the ep count is limited, skipping straight into the first plot movement makes sense.

Eh that's a pretty weak reasoning as the Lost Children Arc is a huge one for Guts as a character. You say it reintroduces the Black Swordsman but we already knew who that was and what he stood for. What the arc was really about was reintroducing Guts to his humanity through some of his darkest moments yet. He is forced to reflect on himself for once in his mad dark quest for revenge thanks to Puck, Roshine and the events of that arc and we actually see him rising back from the morass of hate, violence and so on he's dived so deep into.

Edit: The Roshine battle was also probably one of the best in the series and shows just how far Guts is willing to go, both physically and mentally, to get revenge and kill anyone even remotely related to the God Hand and Eclipse.

Kuroyume

Banned
The amount of nitpicking I've seen about this and berserk musou is crazy. The colors are too garrish? The armor is not worn down enough? Really?

I don't get it. I'm a Berserk fan, been reading the manga as long as you guys. I remember translating chapters on the skullknight.net forums 10+ years ago. I am ecstatic at the fact we're simply getting a continuation of the anime 20 years later. Hell a new game is nice too! You'd think the fanbase would be excited to finally getting some non-manga Berserk, but all I've seen since the PVs has been hate & criticism of every little detail. When did Berserk fans become so elitist.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying. Would I like a Berserk game that's not a Musou skin? Sure. Would I like a Berserk anime that has the most beautiful animation possible? Sure. What I've seen of both still looks good. I'm just happy as fuck we're: 1. Getting a new game with an international release. 2. Getting a new anime beyond the eclipse. And a new chapter last week? I'm in Berserk heaven.

The arc/animation criticisms are pretty ironic in light of the original anime (that everyone loves) having some of the worst animation of the 90s. It outdoes Eva TV on still frame panning.

It's a great show, but the animation was really really weak.

I'm watching the original Berserk TV anime right now, and it looks great thanks to strong direction and visual imagination. Looking at the footage released so far of the new TV anime, I see nothing comparable to the following shots:

iV4cuCf.jpg

Strong layout with atmospheric forest

XlN94V1.jpg

Very stark red and black; well designed silhouette

VecVhMg.jpg

Expressive character art

GP527bW.jpg

Taken from a brief animation cut which makes excellent use of water distortion

A26XW62.jpg

The cool blues and blacks of the setting against Guts' washed-out body makes for a highly atmospheric scene

By the criteria of "how high is the percentage of time during which characters are moving", I'm sure the new CG anime will be the winner. But that doesn't mean it actually looks good.

I have never read the manga, seen the TV series twice, but only watched 2 of the 3 movies, do i need to watch all 3 to be caught up to where this PS1 CGI Berserk starts off?

Breads

Banned
The arc/animation criticisms are pretty ironic in light of the original anime (that everyone loves) having some of the worst animation of the 90s. It outdoes Eva TV on still frame panning.

It's a great show, but the animation was really really weak.

Are we allowed to say it looks like shit and still acknowledge the possibility of it being good?

I'm asking since you seem to be the arbiter for how people should think and feel!

HStallion

I have never read the manga, seen the TV series twice, but only watched 2 of the 3 movies, do i need to watch all 3 to be caught up to where this PS1 CGI Berserk starts off?

The movies cover the same story as the original 90's anime series but in a condensed and truncated form. The movies also feature the Skull Knight who wasn't in the original anime. The third movie covers the Eclipse mostly and neither version features Wyald.

Bebpo

Banned
Eh that's a pretty weak reasoning as the Lost Children Arc is a huge one for Guts as a character. You say it reintroduces the Black Swordsman but we already knew who that was and what he stood for. What the arc was really about was reintroducing Guts to his humanity through some of his darkest moments yet. He is forced to reflect on himself for once in his mad dark quest for revenge thanks to Puck, Roshine and the events of that arc and we actually see him rising back from the morass of hate, violence and so on he's dived so deep into.

Alright, you've convinced me. There's some good aspects to it. To be honest I haven't read the arc in something like 18 years so my memory is a little hazy of it. I still don't think it's a huge loss if the anime skips it. The anime isn't going to be perfect and faithful, but I'm just happy to get a Berserk anime that's not the golden age again, so I'm ok with that.

munchie64

Lost Children is great and very important imo (I hust re-read from the end of Golden age chronologically to prepare for this, so I'm certain of that) but I can certainly understand reasons for not including it in adaptation.

I probably shouldn't talk too much though. Too many anime threads get bogged down in spoilers :p

Is crunchyroll the same in every country or is it like Netflix where US and Canada are getting the best stuff ? In other words, will it be aired simultaneously around the world ?

HStallion

Lost Children is great and very important imo (I hust re-read from the end of Golden age chronologically to prepare for this, so I'm certain of that) but I can certainly understand reasons for not including it in adaptation.

I probably shouldn't talk too much though. Too many anime threads get bogged down in spoilers :p

This series is covering what seems to mostly be the conviction arc and anyone who remember what Mozgus and his disciples do to people in this arc will know that its hardly... safe in terms of imagery. Also...
possessed horse almost rape

Is crunchyroll the same in every country or is it like Netflix where US and Canada are getting the best stuff ? In other words, will it be aired simultaneously around the world ?

The business of licensing means that Crunchyroll doesn't have the same shows available in all regions. Berserk will be available "worldwide except for Asia, New Zealand, and Australia".

Bebpo

Banned
This series is covering what seems to mostly be the conviction arc and anyone who remember what Mozgus and his disciples do to people in this arc will know that its hardly... safe in terms of imagery. Also...

I have a feeling this show is going to be a very toned down adaptation.

munchie64

I winder how they'll handle that. It's fairly important but I'd understand skipping it. Probably could get away with calling back to the Eclipse and scaring Farnese with just violence.

HStallion

It's Always Sunny in Falconia

PZS3hm6.gif

The Gang Hand

Femto = Dennis
Void = Mac
Conrad = Charlie
Ubik = Frank
Slann = Sweet Dee

and of course the famous F.E.M.T.O. System.

Fixate on a female in an increasingly unhealthy fashion
Extinguish all hope for salvation with horrible demon tentacles
Molest her and other terrible things to get back at your best buddy
Torture the love of her life in front of his eyes... eye.
Obliterate her mind and move on and disappear into the night.

What you really don't want to see is the U.B.I.K. and S.L.A.N.N. systems.

Celine

Yeah, it's kind of annoying. Would I like a Berserk game that's not a Musou skin? Sure. Would I like a Berserk anime that has the most beautiful animation possible? Sure. What I've seen of both still looks good. I'm just happy as fuck we're: 1. Getting a new game with an international release. 2. Getting a new anime beyond the eclipse. And a new chapter last week? I'm in Berserk heaven.
Wait, whaaaat!?

*goes to read*

I actually just got caught up the manga last night. I guess we'll see how it goes hopefully it isn't too painful. As long as it isn't as bad as the Ajin movies I think I'll manage though

Kudo

Lost Children is probably one of the best arcs in the series and they decide not to animate it..
I'm sure this won't live up to peoples expectations but at least Miura gets more pressure to continue manga from this.

So I've only read up until Volume 14, is the anime gonna take place after that point or should I read the manga before the CGI ruins it?

HStallion

So I've only read up until Volume 14, is the anime gonna take place after that point or should I read the manga before the CGI ruins it?

We aren't sure exactly what it covers but it sounds like you're just getting into the Lost Children Arc. I'd say read till that Arc is finished and what comes after that seems to be the focus of the new anime.

Momentary

Banned
I really hope this new animation does Puck justice.

Puck is like Tuco in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. You love the main character, but everytime you see the supporting actor you get hype as hell because of how awesome they are.

HStallion

And in true Berserk fashion, the manga still won't be finished by then. Thanks IdolM@ster

Well at least we're off the boat and about to get the biggest info dump in a decade so things are finally starting to work to the endgame at this point.

Spoiler tags do not work on images while browsing on mobile, by the way.

This for sake of anime only viewers don't post images from the manga past the golden age arc.

Also despite the animation probably being awful the story is still fantastic and I imagine most people will enjoy it for that alone.

Raptor

Episode 15 in the Anime but I have a question, why Guts sword is smaller there?

In all images of him and the manga his sword is fucking wide, not so much in the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom