• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk 2016 Anime |OT| Prelude to the CGI Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Seeing as this is the top of a new page I'll post the youtube vid I have used for years to give people who have never read Berserk a taste of what the series has to offer. Its got spoilers from the Manga but totally out of context so beware. It does a motion comic type thing in several scenes that partial animations dramatic scenes from the manga, pretty decently too combined with some pretty sleek editing and a song that I think fits the tone and style of the manga pretty well.

The Best Ever Berserk Manga AMV! Manga Spoilers

Episode 15 in the Anime but I have a question, why Guts sword is smaller there?

In all images of him and the manga his sword is fucking wide, not so much in the anime.

Keep watching.

Epcott

So what is this... A typical 13 episode season show, or an ongoing show similar to One Piece and Dragon Ball Super?

And when will they put the other two damn arcs on Netflix? Wtf is wrong with them? (Sorry for the outburst)

Josue

Episode 15 in the Anime but I have a question, why Guts sword is smaller there?

In all images of him and the manga his sword is fucking wide, not so much in the anime.

He gets his giant sword after the events in the anime, so you wont get to see him use it.

If you watched the first episode, that takes place after, and he actually used the Dragonslayer.

Momentary

Banned
Seeing as this is the top of a new page I'll post the youtube vid I have used for years to give people who have never read Berserk a taste of what the series has to offer. Its got spoilers from the Manga but totally out of context so beware. It does a motion comic type thing in several scenes that partial animations dramatic scenes from the manga, pretty decently too combined with some pretty sleek editing and a song that I think fits the tone and style of the manga pretty well.

The Best Ever Berserk Manga AMV! Manga Spoilers

Keep watching.

That one is indeed the best. There is another one that is completely out of context and takes liberty with the scenes. The music is a little growly, but it's pretty cool how the person did everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Uvc2-JIFc

How many episodes are in this season?

I only got into Berserk last year. I really loved the 1997 series, and wish they were able to continue it. I watched the 3rd film because it had a slight continuation of events and I was super thirsty for more and it was pretty jarring in comparison (a jarring drop in quality that is). I... guess I should just read the manga. I fully intend to do so, just haven't got around to it yet.

HStallion

I only got into Berserk last year. I really loved the 1997 series, and wish they were able to continue it. I watched the 3rd film because it had a slight continuation of events and I was super thirsty for more and it was pretty jarring in comparison (a jarring drop in quality that is). I... guess I should just read the manga. I fully intend to do so, just haven't got around to it yet.

24 Episodes that continues after the Golden Age but isn't adapting everything from what we can see

Never watched an entirely 3D anime before. Hopefully I get used to it quickly so I can start enjoying what I'm seeing. Also, cutting the Lost Children Arc was a mistake.

Read the manga, the quality of the art is such that I'm never going to grouse about it probably never having a good, complete adaptation. There's no way you can adapt it to animation without losing a lot of the staggering detail present in the art in the manga. And it serves the story, too, Miura can convey tons of emotion in a single look or expression from one of the characters.

Read the manga, the quality of the art is such that I'm never going to grouse about it probably never having a good, complete adaptation. There's no way you can adapt it to animation without losing a lot of the staggering detail present in the art in the manga.

Yeah, I know that I will love it. I just need to buy it already!

Josue

Fuck man, I don't like how the anime is looking but I'm still getting excited to be able to watch Berserk in a new anime form lol

Just buy a volume a month and it will take you over 3 years to catch up the where the series is now.

that's all newcomer's original plan until they read the first manga and run to buy all the remaining ones at the same time then proceed to read them all in one sitting and after 3 days they are one of us.

Raptor

Just buy a volume a month and it will take you over 3 years to catch up the where the series is now.

What do you mean a Volume?

Like one Volume of the 300+ there is?

A volume is a chapter?

EDIT:

Just looked at the wiki and a VOlume is a series of chapters.

Momentary

Banned
Just know that the first print editions are starting to become less and less. Some people are starting to price gouge the Berserk mangas. Keep an eye out on when they come back in stock. They are quick to buy them up to try and resell them at a higher price.

From what I'm hearing. Dark Horse is redoing their Manga line in terms of Format and re-translations/editing.

There is already a second edition of the Berserk Manga in Japan. Dark Horse are using those as a basis for their re-release from what I gathered from the comic store here in Temecula... Which is DAMN nice by the way (The last time I went to a comic shop was in Georgia, so what some my view on comic stores comes from being over there.). If you live in the area you guys need to stop buy. Guys there are super nice.

Grudy

I have been waiting so long to see this OT someday! Coincidentally, tomorrow I will receive my first shipment of Berserk volumes (The first 5), so it's a double whammy of excitement *-*

I hope we have a good ride here. Good OT, needs a bit more Forces ;)

"Happy B'day CANADA, here's some Berserk."

Fuck yeah. I havn't really enjoyed a good anime since when I first watched Berserk in my mid teens. Too bad it ain't on netflix though, would have been great to have them episodes all at once.

Grudy

I don't know much about the manga, but is it possible that we will get to see the berserker armor in these 24 episodes?

LProtag

I've read the manga, but never taken a look at any of the anime adaptations.

Should I go with the original series, or newer films, before delving into this?

Jarnet87

Anime over films is pretty much a unanimous consensus. Opinion on the films vary. Watch the old series, then check out of the movies and see how you like them.

HStallion

I'm a hardcore fan and pretty uptight with my Berserk adaptations but the original anime series is the best place to start but be aware it wasn't a huge budgeted project and it shows in many parts. The VA, soundtrack, and of course still stand out as incredible as the manga.

The new movies aren't bad but they really chop up the story and don't do a lot of characters the justice they deserve. The first two are ok but the third is pretty good but its because it adapts that moment incredibly well. Not sure how far you are in the manga so I won't say more. However the CGI can be really ugly at times and animates very poorly in places.

The latest series, well we're not sure yet but its more CGI animation that looks better than the movies but not great overall. It covers events after the first anime series and the movies but also cuts out large chunks of contents.\

Edit: There is also a new videogame by the Musou team at Koei Temco that is coming later this year that covers from the Golden Age up to near to current events. Don't think we'll see the boat ride.

Riposte

Yeah, the CG animation being cheap CG is disappointing. I'm mainly talking about the other nitpicks about little things.

For instance whining about stuff like no Lost Children arc is funny since the first google search of Berserk and Lost Children Arc is a reddit thread titled "Is the Lost Children Arc Filler?"

I've seen people say they're boycotting the show because it doesn't have the Lost Children arc.

It's a dumb arc with nothing of value other than shock tactics at
Gattsu killing naked children
. I can see why they'd skip it, and I don't think it's a big deal. Berserk was never really about shock stuff. Earlier on Miura used a lot of gore and rape and shocking fucked up stuff because he needed flash to sell to Joe 6 pack. Once the manga got successful enough he cut back on all that and now it's just a good R fantasy story. Berserk's always been about the story & characters, so I don't really care if the anime tones down the shock stuff as long as they keep the character development and storytelling.

As someone who's apparently a fan, I think you owe yourself a reread of Lost Children. Although it's a relatively short, it's filled with important character and thematic moments; this is actually a big part of what makes it stand alone so well, why is serves as such a definitive piece of the manga. Your whole theory on why it exists is bizarre crap. If anything, it's no more shocking than what follows it. What you call "shock tactics" is actually horror and dread, and the Conviction arc in general is no picnic.

The moment when Guts leaves Jill alone in a cold, empty field and she affirms her life is a really powerful moment that really captures the main themes of the manga.

Kieli

I'm ok with the aesthetic because all anime currently releasing look ugly as hell.

Something about the digital art makes it sterile and boring. Flat gradients of colours; no shading and tones. Ugh.

Just compare HxH 1999 and HxH 2011. 'Nuff said.

I'm ok with the aesthetic because all anime currently releasing look ugly as hell.

Something about the digital art makes it sterile and boring. Flat gradients of colours; no shading and tones. Ugh.

Just compare HxH 1999 and HxH 2011. 'Nuff said.

Er, all you have to do is look at the currently airing Diamond is Unbreakable anime to see that digital animation is capable of shading that would make even Otaking happy. Digital techniques can make for highly successful and vibrant visuals if applied properly.

Grudy

So excited for this. Watched the 2nd teaser a thousand times already lol

I also watched the 2nd one so many times, but after watching the 3rd trailer a couple of times, I started to notice some CG awkwardness even in the 2nd trailer :l

Please be good.

Zolo

PS2 opening still reigns supreme. I also DEFINITELY don't remember Guts doing that well in the eclipse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom