• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk 2016 Anime |OT| Prelude to the CGI Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's a mixture of PS2 level CG and stuff that looks like anime.

The OST is different, too much grungy guitar not enough forces.

I'll give the show this much: the ED is actually pleasant, featuring some attractive 2D animation.

The show proper looks like garbage though, as everyone could see from the trailers.

Jesus some of the people just need to be drawn considering how little theyre actually doing in a scene cause they look so dang stiff
The old dude driving the carriage in the rain at night when he first talks to Guts about having God on his side was atrocious looking

Well this is basically what we all expected, awesome Berserk story with highly questionable art and animation. Ignoring the jank I liked the way the anime is condensing events to fit the main story line into this season.

Is it censored?

Im about 3/4ths of the way through and the only thing theyve blacked out is
Casca being strung up by the demons during the eclipse and the neck of a decapitated head and the ends of a body that gets split horizontally
So ya know basic Anime violence censoring

munchie64

What events are covered? Will try to watch soon. I could see myself fetting used to the animation if everything else is good.

What events are covered? Will try to watch soon. I could see myself fetting used to the animation if everything else is good.

Episode 1 was highlights from the black swordsman arc, episode 2 starts the conviction arc. Most of black swordsman and the lost children arcs are being skipped.

Im about 3/4ths of the way through and the only thing theyve blacked out is
Casca being strung up by the demons during the eclipse and the neck of a decapitated head and the ends of a body that gets split horizontally
So ya know basic Anime violence censoring
Cheers. That's kinda what I expected. I was hoping for it to be a bit more lax with it being Berserk and all.

Slaythe

I can't really tolerate that level of production.

This is ingame graphics of a video game in 2016 for fuck sake :
tQuHw2.jpg

:/

"Guts and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad adaption" is a better title.

I will echo that the ED is nice. Also, great to see Schierke, and kudos to whomever decided not to give Isidro that awful old man voice from the PS2 game.

Everything else: bleurgh

Breads

Banned
I can't really tolerate that level of production.

This is ingame graphics of a video game in 2016 for fuck sake :

:/

I hope this is a joke.

Not going to do a frame by frame/ budget breakdown but dude... you cannot compare the two.

Slaythe

I hope this is a joke.

Not going to do a frame by frame/ budget breakdown but dude... you cannot compare the two.

What joke ? The game has a 5 hours long story mode that is pretty much an animated OAV, with ingame graphics.

It's not just frame by frame, the Berserk CGI has amateurish animations, rendering, and modeling.

The only thing GGXrd is doing frame by frame for its combat is tweaking the shadows by hand.

The movie is not tweaked frame by frame, sometimes it has some error, but I'll take the rare errors over whatever Berserk is.

munchie64

Episode 1 was highlights from the black swordsman arc, episode 2 starts the conviction arc. Most of black swordsman and the lost children arcs are being skipped.
Thanks. On one hand that's a shame cause Black Swordsman deserves a good adaptation but on the other it mean the Conviction stuff should be pretty straightforward.

Kuroyume

Banned
That was kind of hard to watch. And I was a bit defensive about the criticism when the promotional video came out, as I didn't think it looked bad. But, I couldn't help but feel it was jarring the entire time watching it. It's kind of lacking in atmosphere. Maybe that's a byproduct of the style they went for. You have really nice typical anime art in one frame and then it transitions to that sketchy style while at the same time showing CG lacking good texture details. The opening had some eclipse stuff in it and I feel it's the worst representation I've seen of it yet. Anyway, whatever... Hopefully I'll get used to it and just enjoy getting some newly animated Berserk.

For a first episode it was okay... I can't recall the chapter where this happened other than what Collete does. Hope we see some cooler demons soon because the skeletons didn't do much for me.

Ending outro is great, btw... Really beautiful.

Omg. I just watched the first episode and I can't believe how awesome it was. Great care seems to be taken. The art and sound direction is really good. Also seems like they are making the story more streamlined.

Can't wait for the next episode.

KHlover

Banned
Omg. I just watched the first episode and I can't believe how awesome it was. Great care seems to be taken. The art and sound direction is really good. Also seems like they are making the story more streamlined.

CLANG
CLANG
CLANG

There's literally one sound for the Dragonslayer. Opinions etc., but you can't seriously think this anime's sound direction is anywhere near 'really good' ?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Solid episode. The music was better than expected. The ending credits seems out of place next to the really oppressive dark theme of the episode. Is that new Sususmu Hirasawa Berserk music on the next episode preview? Loved the weight and heft of the Dragon Slayer.

munchie64

Good to hear some positive impressions at least!

Solid episode. The music was better than expected. The ending credits seems out of place next to the really oppressive dark theme of the episode. Is that new Sususmu Hirasawa Berserk music on the next episode preview?Loved the weight and heft of the Dragon Slayer.
I believe so. Some kind of Forces remix from the sound of it.

My only real complaint is the action was horrible. It was mainly him building up to a move then showing body parts flying everywhere. There was hardly any actual fighting.

That and the 3d used for everything.

Angel_DvA

So the 25 first episode and the movie are the same with minor differences but which one is the best ? the series or the movies ?

Sou Da

Yeah I can't do it. I got to the skeletons and I just fucking lost it, burst out laughing hard.

They look like the Army of Darkness skeletons. I guess I should skip to the ED.

Also Guts looks really skinny.

So the 25 first episode and the movie are the same with minor differences but which one is the best ? the series or the movies ?
The '97 anime. It skips and removes a few things too, but better looking and sounding while adequately capturing the spirit and characters of the golden age arc.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

The Series, it doesn't cut that much content compared to the movies and it's overall better including the soundtrack. You can watch the third movie and see some stuff that was left out, but that's it.

The manga is the way to go though, these adaptations are like previews (in whatever forms) of the source material.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah I can't do it. I got to the skeletons and I just fucking lost it, burst out laughing hard.

They look like the Army of Darkness skeletons. I guess I should skip to the ED.

Also Guts looks really skinny.

bvqvRa0.gif

Angel_DvA

The manga.

Yeah I know but I prefer to watch it than read it for now.

The '97 anime. It skips and removes a few things too, but better looking and sounding while adequately capturing the spirit and characters of the golden age arc.

The Series, it doesn't cut that much content compared to the movies and it's overall better including the soundtrack. You can watch the third movie and see some stuff that was left out.

Thanks, I'll watch it.

convo

Good to hear some positive impressions at least!

Some people are putting some effort and maybe even passion into this anime, sadly some of them are trying too hard to stretch their mid-90s computer graphics skill to its limit.
I thought the beginning with the prophecy was something that could actually be mistaken to be from a worthwhile production too i give them that.

Kuroyume

Banned
Movie is better. The eclipse in the movie is an incredible adapatation of the manga. And for all the knocks about CG/3d whatever in the movies, it looked best during that scene.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That was the first thing I noticed in the trailers that bothered me. Though I guess there are plot reasons for him looking so gaunt...?

He's also been jacked as hell even in his most malnourished state Guts is still very fit and built.

Anung

Un Rama
I don't think I watch enough anime to justify grabbing Crunchy roll just to watch this. But I can't miss it either.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
That was the first thing I noticed in the trailers that bothered me. Though I guess there are plot reasons for him looking so gaunt...?

Hmm...
no not at this point, later on he'll get somewhat skinnier and battered out, although that's still far away, but not so scrawny like in this anime.

Sou Da

It's really weird, I don't ever remember him looking like he was too weak to hold his own sword. He has the biceps but his arm up there looks like it belongs to a kid.

Also the ED wasn't all the great. The lipflaps look really off too.

The hell was that

What an absolute hack job in terms of pacing, framing, music, action, and characterization. It's devoid of pretty much any atmosphere.

Why the hell is the iconic moment where Guts first unsheathes his sword against that guy in the bar replaced with a janky looking punch?

Why is the moment where he's overwhelmed with emotion after having to kill Colette and striking out at everything around him replaced with fighting a shitty looking tree monster right after?

Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom