• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and worst alternative superhero costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm cheating as it's an alternative universe as opposed to just an alternative costume, but I always thought Kingdom Come's Wally looked amazing.

oLwBeCX.jpg

9fVJpV5.jpg

Sweet Jesus, how did that final costume ever get the green light (pun fully intended). I do think his new Earth-2 costume looks pretty good, though.

prIpZMT.png

MisterHero

Okay, I'm cheating as it's an alternative universe as opposed to just an alternative costume, but I always thought Kingdom Come's Wally looked amazing.

oLwBeCX.jpg

9fVJpV5.jpg
In The Kingdom it's definitely Wally. His description in Kingdom Come suggests that he's Jay, Barry, and Wally merged into one person. Either way it's a badass helmet.

KC Green Lantern was also awesome.

javac

YES!!! I saw a guy at Comic-con dressed like him and most people were like "what is up with this loser?" I went up to him and said "Spidey you are the greatest, can I take your photo?" Dude was so happy someone got it.

6fD7hHCl.jpg

Man that's awesome of you. You made that guys day. High Five!

In The Kingdom it's definitely Wally. His description in Kingdom Come suggests that he's Jay, Barry, and Wally merged into one person. Either way it's a badass helmet.

KC Green Lantern was also awesome.

Can't remember where I heard it but I thought that Waid always intended it to be Wally but the ambiguity of Flash's identity was because of Ross. It was certainly a good excuse to go with the Jay Garrick look. And yeah, the green knight is easily my favourite Alan Scott costume

Anything is better than her usual "1940s USO showgirl" costume she usually rocks, but fanboys are all about "muh tradition"

See, I read those complaints at the time and just thought...

'No, you guys are just pissed that there's no boobs on show'.

Personally, I think that she's wearing a jacket and pants is a much better idea for someone going to war.
I'm not really a Wonder Woman fan, per se, but I think the idea of her dressing like an adult and a warrior may have brought more female readers for the brand.
But, gotta pander to that base I suppose...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

this ugly bitch. i love the fact that everyone in the panel is aware of just how shit that costume is. dreadful.

for the best, im gonna go with havoks "wipe me down" 90s x-factor costume.

so damn crisp

next is panthers man without fear costume.

hopefully they find a reason to put him back in it after new avengers

kasper coles white tiger costume

so neat. i wouldnt mind seeing this come back in some way

and honorable mention goes to the american panther

dont know where the hell the story for this would have ended up, but it was a nice design

Drayco21

Annihilation Conquest Star-Lord is GOAT Star-Lord, bar none. Except for his Guardians costume, but that's just this one with red and different boots. And sometimes a slightly different mask.

Conversely, Marvel Now Star-Lord is worst Star-Lord. Which is fitting, since Bendis' Guardians is the worst Cosmic title in a long, long time.

CorvoSol

I thought the Phoenix Five were all pretty awesome.

Except Namor, who gained the infinite power of life and fire and somehow still couldn't conjur up some damn pants.

I love this look. This is the good Jean alt for me. I've always hated the yellow and blue look she wore in the 90s.

Got more info on this costume? Looks interesting

Personally, I loved Iron Spiderman's costume from Civil War

656506-230507_152861_spider_man_super_zps48lp3xpw.jpg

Iron Spidey was the good thing to come out of Civil War for me. Love that costume.

moon-knight-khonshu-24.jpg

I've always thought Moon Knight's costume during the Fist of Khonshu arc was really rad.

Also, I don't think a single bad Spider-man costume exists.

Parallax

Annihilation Conquest Star-Lord is GOAT Star-Lord, bar none. Except for his Guardians costume, but that's just this one with red and different boots. And sometimes a slightly different mask.

Conversely, Marvel Now Star-Lord is worst Star-Lord. Which is fitting, since Bendis' Guardians is the worst Cosmic title in a long, long time.

marvel now star lords costume wouldnt be so bad if it belonged to someone else

.Also, I don't think a single bad Spider-man costume exists.

ehhh. 2/4 of his identity crisis costumes are pretty damn terrible

spider-man-20071204051329349-000.jpg

Wait, that suit is bad? It's basically the stealth suit recoloured.

I actually like his original costume from First Avenger best.
I loved it in Winter Soldier that he goes back to it for the final showdown.
I don't have anything against the stealth suit but I figure for a guy called Captain America he needs to have all three colors. But yeah, for Avengers 2 it looks like the stealth suit with the original color scheme.

LaNaranja

No mention of War Machine yet? He had a different look every issue during the Dark Reign. They ranged in quality but if nothing else they were always interesting.

1253919-wm30.jpg

I also really loved his Iron Patriot suit in Iron Man 3.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

oLwBeCX.jpg

9fVJpV5.jpg

Wait, that's Wally in Kingdom Come? I thought that was Jay.

Tekniqs

speaking of Spidey Civil War....did marvel ever put out a compilation 'book' that has all the issues in it? Sounds like an interesting story and I'd like to read it

cpqHv6R.jpg

You tell me.

Joe Quesada was recently on an episode of Fat Man on Batman, and mentioned that his explicit instructions were to design a terrible costume using all of the tropes of the Image artists. Knightfall was a direct response to comments in the nineties that Batman was too old-fashioned and needed a more extreme update, basically to show them how shitty of an idea making a 90s Batman was.

LaNaranja

speaking of Spidey Civil War....did marvel ever put out a compilation 'book' that has all the issues in it? Sounds like an interesting story and I'd like to read it

You should be fine with the trade for the main Civil War story. If you want additional information about specific characters pick up the trades related to them. There is a ton of stuff related to the main story that you could read but some of it is ridiculous (like Penance).

Parallax

Joe Quesada was recently on an episode of Fat Man on Batman, and mentioned that his explicit instructions were to design a terrible costume using all of the tropes of the Image artists. Knightfall was a direct response to comments in the nineties that Batman was too old-fashioned and needed a more extreme update, basically to show them how shitty of an idea making a 90s Batman was.

which is saying something, because even as an intentional goof, it still shits on most of the 90s image character efforts. youngblood and its liefeld ilk especially

You should be fine with the trade for the main Civil War story. If you want additional information about specific characters pick up the trades related to them. There is a ton of stuff related to the main story that you could read but some of it is ridiculous (like Penance).

another reason civil war should straight up be forgotten. if american eagle wasnt portrayed as a badass, i would have no reason to care

MisterHero

Wait, that's Wally in Kingdom Come? I thought that was Jay.
It could be since Superman's "League" is actually more like Justice Society. Some of the grown-up Teen Titans are on his side, so Wally's included in there... somewhere. Lol. It's a bit of a mystery given that Wally's daughter was on Batman's team.

anyways here's another favorite speedster costume

impulse_commission_byuze5y.jpg

Soodanim

It may be be because I'm newer to comics, but I've always hated that helmet on Flash. It looks like he found a metal bowl in his kitchen and just went with it.

FFH.jpg

The GOAT Spidey costume for me.
I'm not sure about some of the Spider costumes I've seen here, like the 2099 one (perhaps I need context for the skull) but this one is definitely awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom