• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and worst alternative superhero costumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Best

P0HTIp6.jpg

Ah yes, the Wedgie of Justice. Truly America's finest trait.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I loved these tron inspired costumes.
For similar reasons, costumes forged during Fear Itself are pretty awesome, and I'm sad they don't really show up or get referenced anywhere (theres a very similar IM armor in IM3, but its not the same; and you see it for a split second anyways).

whenmet5-4-42.jpg

Volimar

I've always had a thing against the skin tight body painted looking costumes for women. I just can't help smiling when i think of them putting the costume on and having to squeeze their breasts into the boob pockets.

Shiv47

As bizarre as it was for a character like Dr Strange, I always liked this costume:

And I can only chalk up the love for the Scarlet Spider costume to 90s nostalgia, because it, like the majority of 90s designs, is terrible. The ridiculous ripped sweatshirt look is so bad.

I think I'm the only one around here who hates the Scarlet Spider suit (and Ben Reilly in general).

I hate the Iron Spider as well.

Spidey's my favorite character on the planet, but the only costumes I like are the original and the black.

Edit: Forgot about the Future Foundation suit, that one's actually pretty cool.

Shiv47

I think I'm the only one around here who hates the Scarlet Spider suit (and Ben Reilly in general).

I hate the Iron Spider as well.

Spidey's my favorite character on the planet, but the only costumes I like are the original and the black.

Ha, I just posted a couple spots above you that the Scarlet Spider costume is terrible (anything clone saga is awful, I should add). In general, Spider-Man has one of those classic costumes they shouldn't mess with too much.

Wubby

No mention of War Machine yet?

This may be showing my age but when I was younger I was reading Iron Man at the time that War Machine made his first debut. I used to have all the comics (till I threw them out when I moved to Japan).

Sometime in the 90's he got his first spin-off series. In it eventually he lost his armor and gained some weird alien armor (edit: called warwear I just discovered). Those were weird times. I don't remember the comic lasting much longer than when it took a turn to the weird!

I'd rate this about the worst.

Wait, that's Wally in Kingdom Come? I thought that was Jay.

Kingdom Come doesn't let on who he is but the the sequel makes it clear it's Wally.

It may be be because I'm newer to comics, but I've always hated that helmet on Flash. It looks like he found a metal bowl in his kitchen and just went with it.

I'm not sure about some of the Spider costumes I've seen here, like the 2099 one (perhaps I need context for the skull) but this one is definitely awesome.

Never felt strongly either way about the helmet on Jay but it just works perfectly for me in KC.

The skull on Spidey 2099's outfit is because it's actually a costume for the Day of the Dead festival.

Ha, I just posted a couple spots above you that the Scarlet Spider costume is terrible (anything clone saga is awful, I should add). In general, Spider-Man has one of those classic costumes they shouldn't mess with too much.

High five. I hated the whole clone saga. It's almost like from mid-90s on, they tried to do everything possible to destroy the character. JMS actually started to get things back on track for a while before Quesada ruined everything again.

Oh well, Romita Sr. era is the best anyway. I just re-read that.

ReiGun

See, I read those complaints at the time and just thought...

'No, you guys are just pissed that there's no boobs on show'.

Personally, I think that she's wearing a jacket and pants is a much better idea for someone going to war.
I'm not really a Wonder Woman fan, per se, but I think the idea of her dressing like an adult and a warrior may have brought more female readers for the brand.
But, gotta pander to that base I suppose...
As a big fan of the character, my problem with the costume is not that it looks bad (okay, I think the plain black pants are dull as dirt) or that it covers her up, but rather, I don't think it really fits the character. Wonder Woman is a warrior from an ancient Greek inspired culture and yet, Jim Lee's design has her looking more like a street fighter. Granted, that choice fit the particular story the costume debuted in, but as far as having it be her standard outfit? Nah. It's same way I wouldn't like Thor having a similar costume. He's not from our world, so why would he go into battle dressed like us?

For what it's worth, I think the costume would be great for Wonder Girl, as I think it's a more natural evolution of what she was wearing at the time.

I suppose I should post some WW costumes I like now, huh?

1210372-donna_troy_is_wonder_woman_by_minarho1.jpg

(Takes the original design and moves it more toward being Greek-inspired armor, which is exactly what you should do with it)

wonder-woman-battle-armor.jpg

(Not a fan of the wings on this one, though)

mulher%20maravilha%20flashpoint.jpg

(I think I'm one of the few that actually likes the Flashpoint suit)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Glad people agree with me that white gloves/white boots Punisher is the only way to go. All other changes were pretty rotten.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
One for the worst pile: A redesign attempt for Ghost Rider in the late 90s... lasted maybe 4 or 5 issues.
e93665f533c4f8e11511262c5dd0d12d.jpg

Dave Cockrum's original Phoenix design. This one got nixed because the white costume would show the printing from the reverse page:

Jean_Grey_(Earth-616)_005_Fan_Art.jpg

But when printing methods and paper quality improved, a version of it showed up in Phoenix Endsong:

Jean_Grey_(Earth-616)_from_X-Men_Phoenix_Endsong_Vol_1_5_page_20.png

Miracle? That is when they were selling the most.

The early nineties, yes. In the late nineties, the speculator market crashed, comic stores were closing left and right, and publishers were facing bankruptcy.

Fevaweva

Still prefer the original though...I love the concept of The Sentry. It had some rough execution, but superman level power (or more arguably) and its inside the shell of a Shizophrenic suffering from paranoia, manic depression, and split personality disorder as the result of fallout after sever psychic tampering that was done to put him out of commission. Great conflict in this guy.

jnC9RaX.jpg

I thought I was the only one who liked The Sentry. What an awesome idea for a hero. I hoep they make a film about him one day.

mighty_avengers2_ronin_1.png

For purposefully terrible ones: This is Blade in a bootleg Spider-Man costume. He needs to keep his presence in the country secret, so he uses this disguise in a pinch for some heroics. He eventually takes on the Ronin costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom