• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best controller of each console generation

zma1013

NES controller - simple and easy

SNES controller - easily beats the Genesis in pretty much every way, from function to look. It set the standard template for a reason.

Playstation controller with sticks - lots of easily reachable buttons, adding on to the SNES template in a logical way. N64 controller, while admirable in the attempt, had a somewhat comparably crappy thumb stick that wore out way too fast and the odd left side of the controller was rarely used and ended up wasting that shoulder button and dpad. Honorable mention to the Z trigger though, that was great.

Xbox controller S - An incredibly ergonomic design that did nearly everything right and showed that Microsoft learns quickly after that unwieldy monstrosity they launched with. By comparison, the PS2 controller was still good but it loses out with its thumb sticks not being as good. Gamecube, while being a uniquely comfortable controller, had a few issues holding it back, like the tiny Dpad, tiny C stick and a head scratching terrible Z shoulder button. I actually really liked the asymmetrical face button layout though, it just worked.

Xbox 360 controller - a small improvement on the Xbox S pad which makes this one of the best controllers ever made with its only downside being the oddly shaped Dpad being one of the worst. PS3 controller seems virtually identical to the PS2 controller, no improvement really. Wii remote was cumbersome and gimmicky and only worked good for a select few gametypes. Its potential never seemed entirely realized except in the Metroid Prime games for Wii where it really shined as a sort of middle ground between traditional controller accuracy and mouse accuracy.

PS4 controller - Huge improvement over their previous controllers in nearly every category, especially in how the thumb sticks feel. I can't really think of anything negative to say about this controller except for its seemingly poor battery life. Wii U Pro controller may be my second favorite this gen. It melts in my hands like butter to the point I merge and become one with it and no longer have hands. It feels and plays really really good. Slight issue though with the thumsticks being convex make them harder to grip. Xbox One controller is very good as well although I don't like the thumb sticks quite as much as preview Xbox controllers. They seem to stick out too far or something, I can't quite put my finger on the issue. Wii U gamepad is actually pretty good but not as ergonomic as the others and the touch screen has so far been relatively gimmicky and puts a short limit on the battery life.

funkypie

Banned
No idea why the 360 and xbone controller gets so much praise. The dpad on both is like ass, not to mention the face buttons on the 360 are ass as well.

Play something that actually requires to use the dpad and it is garbage.

TRios Zen

The standouts for me were as follows:

- The Sega 6 button Genesis controller
- Xbox S controller

Currently still prefer the Xbox style controllers to the DS variants, but as I'm sure I've mentioned before the simple fact that the DS4 doesn't absolutely kill my hands makes it a winner in my mind.

Nose Master

Even though I don't own one, I like the Xbone controller a lot more than PS4's. The DS4 sticks are so fucking terrible, playing geo wars on that system is a nightmare.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
No idea why the 360 and xbone controller gets so much praise. The dpad on both is like ass, not to mention the face buttons on the 360 are ass as well.

Well lots of posters have actually explained what they like about it, using words and pictures. So you should at least have some idea by now.

I'm gonna go ahead and say the Elite controller is the best I've ever used, period. before that it was my ASCII pad for SNES.

Hugstable

Banned
NES
SNES
Dualshock 1
Gamecube Wavebird
Wii Mote

Now to the current generation, I can't quite place my finger on what's truly the best controller as they all have big flaws to me that make me not able to rank it over the other. Honestly if I had to say though, I would say DS4 even though I've had problems in the past with their overall quality. About a few months ago I picked up an Xbox One controller for my PC and I was really liking it at first, but overtime I actually grew to like the feel less and less as it felt not as comfortable to hold and the bumpers and dpad were way to clicky to the point where I went from "ehh I'll get over it" to "man FUCK these bumpers". The gamepad itself I like features on it as well, but the 2 and half hour battery life and placement of the bumpers on that as well hold me back from ranking it any higher.

TRios Zen

Speaking only for myself, the ability to play for longer than 15 minutes without aching hands trumps any perceived advantage you've listed.

I'll give you the d-pad argument, but face buttons on the 360 controllers are fine/have never given me any trouble.

Mael

3rd : OGB
4th : SNES
5th : Dualshock (the one that vibrate with dual analog), actually I prefer the n64 with the vibrator pack
6th : GBA SP
7th : Wiimote + attachments (because really it's that versatile)
8th : I actually would prefer playing with the 7th gen controllers.

And seriously the analogs on the GC controller are shit, especially the small yellow one.

I'm baffled at how many people choose the Wii Remote over the 360 controller (or the DS3 for that matter).
When you need to add an accessory (nunchuck and motion+) for a controller to be good, there's something obviously wrong with it

harSon

Banned
- NES
- SNES
- I'm conflicted between Saturn and Dual Shock. Saturn is better at 2D experiences, while Dual Shock is infinitely better at 3D experiences. Saturn is ultimately the more comfortable controller though IMO.
- Xbox Controller S
- Xbox 360
- Xbox One Controller

If PS4 had offset analog sticks, I would have probably given the edge to it.

Griss

Gen 7:
Xbox360Controller.png

Refinement of the previous, replaces the awkward black/white buttons with standard shoulder buttons.

Only standard controller I can ever remember putting in my hands and saying 'H-holy shit...' It felt like such a premium piece of kit, especially next to the lightweight Sixaxis.

I was properly skeptical of Xbox but when I held that controller I was converted. Bought one soon after. Still the best controller ever, imo.

Other favourites are the Gamecube pad, Waveband and Dualshock 2. Desperately disappointed with the Dualshock 4 and its shit build quality.

The gamepad wins this gen easily for the screen alone. Sad that it was an albatross that helped drag the entire system down.

NES
SNES
PS1
Gamecube
Wii U Gamepad

TheMoon

I'm baffled at how many people choose the Wii Remote over the 360 controller (or the DS3 for that matter).
When you need to add an accessory (nunchuck and motion+) for a controller to be good, there's something obviously wrong with it

Nunchuk is not an accessory, it came as part of the set in the box. It's part of why it's so great because it makes it so versatile. Also, the Wii Remote Plus had a Motion+ built into it so that's also not an accessory. It's like saying the DualShock 3 doesn't count because it was a revision with an added feature and only the Sixaxis Controller counts.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I can only comment on the current and last generation, so for me:
Xbox 360 controller
Xbox One controller (though the DS4 comes close, the only issues I have with it are ergonomics and triggers, I actually have no issues with the sticks)

kamo

360 controller is my personal favorite. I like the overall feel of the X1 controller better. But I like the L1/R1 buttons on 360 more than X1. Which is why the 360 controller is my vote over the X1 controller.

CDV13

Gen 8: DualShock 4
Sony finally fixed my biggest problems with DS. Stick resistance is similar to 360's (how did MS screw this up with XB1 pad?); sticks placed farther apart so my thumbs no longer touch; touchpad is nice addition; triggers!; built-in speaker; can use any 3.5mm headphones/mic; share button is amazing.

I have the exact same thought on the stick resistance. I have no clue why they changed it from the 360 to the XONE. Makes it worse in my opinion. Honestly they could have used the exact same controller from the 360.

Kriken

Dualshock 1
Gamecube Wavebird
Xbox 360
Wii U Pro Controller

The N64 would beat the DS1 if it actually designed the L button and d-pad to be used alongside the analogue stick :/

3rd gen: NES got it right. Simple, to the point. Built like a tank too.

4th gen: SNES has the best dpad and nice clicky buttons. Wasn't a huge fan of start and select being spongy but that's my only complaint.

5th gen: Sega Saturn was light in the hand and the buttons felt great.

6th gen: Gamecube had a nice build quality to it and aside from a few strange placements, was almost perfect.

7th gen: Xbox 360 was one of the greatest controllers. Nice weight, buttons and functionality marred by an utterly terrible dpad.

8th gen: Playstation 4 has a great feel and a nice set of features. My new go to controller. Battery life is lacking, however.

I tend to prefer smaller pads. The s controller for the original Xbox was a godsend. My hands would ache after a few hours of clutching the duke. If I had to pick an overall favorite, it's probably the Gamecube. The wavebird, specifically. What a device!

Thanks for saving me a few minutes haha. Just about word for word what I was going to say. Shoulder buttons on the GC was it's big flaw, like the control pad on the 360. The Wavebird is still probably my favorite controller though, if not actually the best.

th4tguy

keyboard and mouse - nothing beats the accuracy you can reach with a mouse,and the unlimited control options the keyboard provides.
Best controller for each console gen....

What you did was like me answering a stick shift is always best for driving a car.

1: Atari
2:nes
3:snes
4:psx Dualshock
5: Xbox s-controller
6: 360 with rotating dpad
7: ps4 with Xbone sticks and bigger battery ;)

injurai

Banned
NES
SNES
Dualshock
S Controller
Dualshock 3
Dualshock 4

However Gamecube with smash > any controller on any other game > Gamecube on any non-smash game.

Ikon

NES
SNES
Dualshock
Wavebird (this gen had incredible controllers from all 4 companies - though I guess I'm in the minority for liking the Duke)
Dualshock 3
WiiU Pro

Grimsen

SNES pad was shit compared to the 6-button Genesis controller.

I guess its popularity in this thread is simply due to the fact that everyone had a SNES.

Sega's in the Genesis/Saturn generations. Best D-Pad ever.

Otherwise, probably the only "controversial" choice I would make is between the Gamecube and the Dualshock 2. Gamecube's controller was great for Nintendo's games and a few select third party games, but otherwise, most third party game felt like they didn't really know what to do with it.

3rd Gen - NES by virtue of it being the only controller I played with that gen. I have never, to this day, even touched a Master System peripheral. Not the most ergonomic controller out there, though, and as a kid it was thumb blister-central.

4th Gen - SNES, by virtue of it being the one I played the most. But, if the Genesis six-button controller was ever packed in with a console, then that would win. It feels better in my hands overall, and of course it's great for Street Fighter.

5th Gen - Saturn by a long country mile. By far still my favorite controller for fighters. Super ergonomic, pad feels awesome, and of course the 6-button layout is friendly to Capcom fighters, which I played a lot during this gen.

6th Gen - PS2 (DualShock 2) - I love the Dreamcast as a console but absolutely hate that monstrosity of a controller, so by default DS2 wins. I didn't play too much Xbox to care, and the GameCube controller is one of only a few video game related things that I use the word "repulsive" for. Yes, the GameCube controller is repulsive :p I have to say this is by far the weakest generation of consoles, controller wise.

7th Gen - Xbox 360 S (especially, the WIRED version). What the Saturn controller is to me for fighters, this controller is for everything else. Amazing ergonomics, the most god-like twin stick configuration I have used to this date, and shoulder/trigger buttons that feel great to use. The Dpad on this controller is a piece of shit, but I don't use it often in most games I play. This is the controller I play PC games with. The wireless one suffers from the battery pack bump in the back, which makes it less than ideal ergonomically. The DS3 has piece of junk sticks, and I'm not a fan of waggle in my games, so the 360 controller comes out far ahead in this gen for me.

8th gen - PS4 (DualShock 4) -- this gen is still under assessment, with the DS4 coming out on top, but the Wii U Pro very, very, and I mean VERY close behind. EDIT: Wii U Pro doesn't count per the OP's rules, since it's not packed in. Since the Gamepad blows, the DS4 wins by default.

jem0208

I've only really played for 3 generations so...

Xbox Controller S.
Xbox 360 controller.
Xbox One controller

Microsoft are damn good at controllers.

nib95

Banned

I guess its popularity in this thread is simply due to the fact that everyone had a SNES.

Genesis pad was more ergonomic, but the SNES controller had the far better d-pad imo.

Pillville

How anyone can prefer the XB1 controller over the DualShock 4 is beyond me.
Oh well, different strokes.......

But can we all agree that the Atari 2600 joystick was the worst ever?

I would not phrase it in the same manner, since no the SNES pad was not "shit" compared to anything... it's actually a pretty awesome controller. But I do agree that the Genesis 6-button controller is superior to the SNES controller.

massoluk

Banned
If you're willing to step out of the traditional mindset, the truth will be revealed that Wii mote + Nunchuck is the best and most comfortable controller. Last gen and this gen. It's the one controller where you can quite comfortably hang back and spread your arms across your sofa couch.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
NES pad - great D-pad and buttons

SNES pad - great layout that would continue for generations.

PlayStation DualShock - the OG PS1 controller was okay but analogue is a must for MGS imo.

PlayStation DualShock 2 - Not much change here.

Wii Remote Motion + and Nunchuck - Most comfortable controller I've ever held. IR aiming is the best, I can't play Metroid Prime w/o it anymore.

Wii U Pro Controller - Amazing battery life and solid feel.

Dizzy

Banned
This gen - Wii U pro controller
Last gen - Dualshock 3
GC/Xbox/PS2 - Dualshock 2
N64/saturn/ps1 - N64
Megadrive/snes - 6 button megadrive > snes > 3 button megadrive
Master system/NES - NES

The atari jaguar was cool if unpractical.

Boomshaw

Banned
Master System
SNES
Dual Shock One
Xbox Controller S
Xbox 360 Wireless
Xbox One Controller

Special Mention: Dreamcast (Just cause it was so futuristic)
Wavebird for Gamecube (Because it just nailed that wireless technology)

King_Moc

Banned
Gen 3 - NES. It popularised the Dpad. No competition here, that Master system controller is abysmal.

Gen 4 - SNES. 6 Buttions and L & R buttons. again, I don't really see any competition this gen.

Gen 5 - N64. Popularised the analogue stick and rumble.

Gen 6 - GC. The most comfortable controller of all time.

Gen 7 - 360. Nice and comfy and great analogue sticks. Dpad sucks, but there you go.

Gen 8 - PS4. Finally corrects the Dualshock analogues sticks, which were abysmal, and has a decent Dpad. The touchpad is vaguely handy I guess, but the share button and headphone socket are a great idea.

Question: I find that when I'm using a GC controller I can maintain grip on the sticks easily. But with my DS4 I can only play for a short time before I feel like the sticks are coated in sweat and my grip on them is compromised. How the hell can this be? They both look like they're made of the same materials but the DS4 is like a sweat magnet.

KiteGr

NES
SNES
Dual Shock 1
Dual Shock 2 (how can you guys even hold that GC controler?)
X360 controller
Dual Shock 4.

Top Bottom