• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fighting game stages. Post pics.

SNK always brings it.

3npcLkS.gif

What game is this from?

these threads always make me happy and then sad because it's a joy to see those old snk stages and then intensely depressing to realize there'll probably never be anything that nice looking in 2D again

SNK should be dominating this thread.

That said the Meridan Area Rapid Transit stage from Skullgirls is amazing. Check out the dynamic lighting on the character sprites when they go into the tunnel.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8PuGZrd19yw

It also has an Easter Egg wherein an interdimensional hype train comes by then you bait a burst.
m1HFbB6.gif

Note:the only gif I found was from the in progress version.

Lab Zero outdid themselves with that stage.

Even though this thread has been done before, I still love it. 2D fighters in the 90s just had such incredible art.

This might be my favorite:

igo4KsE.gif

That, to me at least, symbolizes Japanese gaming during that era. Which I know sounds weird. The lights, the reflections in the water, the crowd activity -- it's all perfect.

I know, right? I mean, just look at that thing. Holy shit.

lazyguy

Darkstalkers 3 had some really great stages. My favourite (fetus aside) was the Sideways Skyscraper.

vampires-s7-300x175.png
Damn straight tower of arrogance is so good. You're fighting on a sideways skyscraper. Iron horse, irone terror is also amazing.
(couldn't find a good picture.)
But OP wins this one with moonlit Wilderness.

bomma_man

I've never played any of those SNK games but seeing that sprite work makes me intensely nostalgic for Japan's golden era. It's sad to think we'll literally never see work like that again.

May16

I loved the ships in Power Stone 2
pCAnSIl.jpg

powerstone2-1.jpg

Loved how that game's stages kept changing as the fight went on -- ships crash, doors open, obstacles/hazards/weapons appear and disappear, etc. Great times. Makes me want Power Stone 3 pretty badly.

GenG3000

There's no way to top those SNK stages from a visual and technical standpoint.

If I had to pick a stage from Smash Bros. it would be Battlefield from Smash 4.

2Um8JaQ.gif

The quintaessential stage as it summarizes the gameplay of the series pretty well, with a simple yet interesting layout and a mysterious setting that captures your imagination.

GorillaJu

Even though this thread has been done before, I still love it. 2D fighters in the 90s just had such incredible art.

This might be my favorite:

igo4KsE.gif

That, to me at least, symbolizes Japanese gaming during that era. Which I know sounds weird. The lights, the reflections in the water, the crowd activity -- it's all perfect.

Also love this one from Last Blade:

e5q6K.gif

You mean that the art style symbolizes Japanese gaming? Because that scene is Korea

I really like SFV's Bustling Street stage. I'm a fan of neon signs.
Those 30fps NPCs need to go and it would be perfect

latest

Shout outs to Fetus of God.

Mista Koo

Utopia of the Blessed (SCV). The final boss stage, it changes on the 3rd round.

IIsytJ9.png
ght819P.png

Sailor's Rest (SCIV) or Sinking Merchant Ship (SCV). Something about fighting on a moving ship is pretty cool.

9Bw82Ar.jpg

And since Garou's train bridge has been posted, this SVC Chaos stage remains:

njPhhkc.gif

deleted

Oh if Capcoms and SNK every decided to make some SNK vs Capcom Classics game where they revisit 2D with their best stages and Sprites.

I'd just love to play with Street Fighter mechanics on some of those SNK stages.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
!!!

HOLY SHIT

Why is no one mentioning Pocket Fighter?!

PF_Maximum_Bar.png

PF_Dhalsims_Toyshop.png

PF_Chinatown.png

PF_Demitris_Castle.png

too bad they're not animated, they're really hilarious if they're animated

Always liked these stages from Marvel vs. Capcom

mvc-stage5b.gif

to this day I am still eluded by what game is being referenced.

Zubz

Banned
Mortal Kombat, Warrior Shrine

Skullgirls, Under the Bridge

Killer Instinct (2013), Downtown Demolition

Eternal Champions, Washington DC/Senator's Stage

I'd use a better GIF to show off Bill Clinton and Secret Service jogging in the background, but it also showcases a stage fatality, where the opponent is launched into the air by an explosive and skewered by the Washington Monument. I assumed it wasn't safe to post.

Way of the Warrior, ... This.

It's one of the worst stages in fighting games, technically, but it's so awful that you can't help but love it. It's sort of like Shang Tsung's Throne Room in the original MK, but with a conspicuous CGI dragon in the chair instead. The only picture I could find was poor quality, but even if it wasn't, the lack of the game's unfitting White Zombie soundtrack means that this stage wouldn't be done justice.

Fountain of Dreams, Tower of Arrogance, and Meridian Area Rapid Transit were all my top 3, but they've all been covered, alongside a number of other favorites (As they should be).

Raitaro

!!!

HOLY SHIT

Why is no one mentioning Pocket Fighter?!

PF_Maximum_Bar.png

PF_Dhalsims_Toyshop.png

PF_Chinatown.png

PF_Demitris_Castle.png

too bad they're not animated, they're really hilarious if they're animated.

You're RIGHT! Wow, I forgot about these but they are fantastic in how they offer a different look at the Capcom universe where everyone is on their off-time.

KevinCow

Banned
Asgard at night from UMVC3 is real pretty:

Wait what? There's a New Zealand stage in V? Got a good screenshot/video? I was beginning to think KoF 2003 would be the only fighting game to ever have a New Zealand stage.

Just for you, I got off my lazy ass and found a screenshot:

jXS8PTh.png

You can't really see it here, but there's a nice waterfall on the right side of the stage.

Garou's stages are fantastic
My favorite was always Rocks stage because Spread the Wings was so freakin awesome too hear while playing:
latest

latest

latest

latest

Why not add in the Big Blue Melee version while you're at it, since the theme here is awful stages no one should ever play on.

I'd say my favorite stage is either this simplistic beauty...

latest

Or this one over its Brawl counterpart (those fucking treadmills infuriate me on the Brawl version, but I love the wind version.)
latest

Or the Warioware stage. Yes, it's gimmicky and yes you will likely have your fair share of unfair deaths courtesy of arrows, speeding carts, rain, hammers, etc, but it is the most fun stage in the game because of the minigames. The cooperative ones always mean that you take a break for 5 seconds, complete the game, and then go back to killing one another. It's a lot of fun, even though the initial stage is still really small.

latest

Loona

to this day I am still eluded by what game is being referenced.

Same - i think I read once it might be a reference to Capcom's forgotten Worlds, but the final boss there, while similar to the figure in the background, is a whole lot smaller.

The Smash ones all look very sanitized, corporate and use direct references without fleshing them (e.g. Billy hanging out with his GF which he stole from Joe).

If you're referring to the CvS2 London stage, the girl with Billy is his sister Lilly - he's understandably concerned about a guy who goes around in short associating with guys that want to kill his boss getting involved with her.

Just for you, I got off my lazy ass and found a screenshot:

jXS8PTh.png

You can't really see it here, but there's a nice waterfall on the right side of the stage.

Ah okay, haven't really followed SFV's development. Might've seen it here and there, but didn't realize it was a NZ stage.

And speaking of which, KoF 2003's NZ stage

3eZUqFt.png

Sorry it's not animated, the person who ripped it (and the other KoF 2003 stages) decided to do it in layers in a special HTML file here. If someone knows of a way to piece these pieces together into one GIF, I'd really appreciate it.

So, I've never played a KoF game before. But seeing these backgrounds has gotten me so amped. I've never seen spritework like that before. Well, I have, but it's so rare. Most spritework goes for "retro" looks, especially today, but this is always what I wanted to see more of.

Is there any version of KoF 99 that actually plays in widescreen, though? The PS1 Classic, while readily available, is going to be 4:3.

Top Bottom