• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fighting game stages. Post pics.

So, I've never played a KoF game before. But seeing these backgrounds has gotten me so amped. I've never seen spritework like that before. Well, I have, but it's so rare. Most spritework goes for "retro" looks, especially today, but this is always what I wanted to see more of.

Is there any version of KoF 99 that actually plays in widescreen, though? The PS1 Classic, while readily available, is going to be 4:3.

Not to mention the animation is going to be horribly gimped. I think the only official release (outside original Neogeo hardware or using ROMs and emulation) is the Japan only NESTS Saga Collection for PS2. There's KoF 99 Evolution for the Dreamcast too, but I believe they replaced the pixel backgrounds with new versions touched up with CGI. Still look nice though.

Not to mention the animation is going to be horribly gimped. I think the only official release (outside original Neogeo hardware or using ROMs and emulation) is the Japan only NESTS Saga Collection for PS2. There's KoF 99 Evolution for the Dreamcast too, but I believe they replaced the pixel backgrounds with new versions touched up with CGI. Still look nice though.

What about these PSP KoF games? '94 and '95? Do they look anything like '98?

kof99park1bgliteg8jtg.gif

kof99park2bglitepqk8t.gif

kof99park3bglitejvj4b.gif

Damn, those are really nice to look at.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Can't post pics from my phone but I really liked some of the multilevel stages in Dead or Alive 2.

What about these PSP KoF games? '94 and '95? Do they look anything like '98?

I'm not too familiar with the PSP Orochi collection (94-98), it sounds decent enough but it sounds like it suffers a bit compared to the PS2 and Wii versions. As far as the games themselves, I really fell in love with the series playing 96-98. 94 and 95 felt and played rather clunky compared to later installments IMO.

98 Ultimate Match for the PS2 is great (also on Steam). You've got the barebones, untouched original if you want it. The new backgrounds look nice (a little 3D touch up here and there for a lot of the classic KoF stages, mostly from the Dreamcast version of 98) but not as "oooh ahh 3D graphics!" as some of their other efforts)

Ithil

The Smash ones all look very sanitized, corporate and use direct references without fleshing them (e.g. Billy hanging out with his GF which he stole from Joe).

It's like the business suits from Mirror's Edge universe greenlit them.

Soulless? Corporate?

Thank god we have these rebellious sprite stages fighting against THE MAN, right?

Regiruler

I don't understand how people can have a preference for one street fighter stage over another. There's absolutely no mechanical difference.

Tbh this goes for most fighters too.

I don't understand how people can have a preference for one street fighter stage over another. There's absolutely no mechanical difference.

there's no mechanical difference between looking at a Monet or a van Gogh. Do you not understand how people have a preference between those? It's aesthetics.

Regiruler

there's no mechanical difference between looking at a Monet or a van Gogh. Do you not understand how people have a preference between those? It's aesthetics.
Except the flow of a stage is part of those aesthetics. Skinning over a stage doesn't make it a new stage.

My personal pick would be between Orbital Assault from Smash 4 and Final Valley from Clash of Ninja Rev 2.
This is the strangest post I have seen in a while.
Let me paraphrase: the majority of fighting games suck when it comes to making genuinely diverse stages.

Except the flow of a stage is part of those aesthetics. Skinning over a stage doesn't make it a new stage.

My personal pick would be between Orbital Assault from Smash 4 and Final Valley from Clash of Ninja Rev 2.
Let me paraphrase: the majority of fighting games suck when it comes to making genuinely diverse stages.

So you want gimmicky stuff like platforms in a game like Street Fighter? I don't get it.

SFV's stages mostly bum me out, and this thread isn't helping lol

Fighting game backgrounds peaked in the 90s. I really hope Capcom ups their game with new downloadable backgrounds.

Why not add in the Big Blue Melee version while you're at it, since the theme here is awful stages no one should ever play on.

I'd say my favorite stage is either this simplistic beauty...

Or this one over its Brawl counterpart (those fucking treadmills infuriate me on the Brawl version, but I love the wind version.)
latest

Or the Warioware stage. Yes, it's gimmicky and yes you will likely have your fair share of unfair deaths courtesy of arrows, speeding carts, rain, hammers, etc, but it is the most fun stage in the game because of the minigames. The cooperative ones always mean that you take a break for 5 seconds, complete the game, and then go back to killing one another. It's a lot of fun, even though the initial stage is still really small.

latest

Have you no taste? Big Blue is fantastic! Much better than WarioWare, which is broken and punishes people even if they win the microgames.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh, of course.

I'm 100% sure that is a Kamen Rider reference. Look at those villains faces.

I always thought it was some video game reference, since all of the stages so far are except that.

Same - i think I read once it might be a reference to Capcom's forgotten Worlds, but the final boss there, while similar to the figure in the background, is a whole lot smaller.

I always thought they were bosses of other Capcom arcade games

trixx

holy crap some of those snk stages and such make stages in modern fighters look like trash

absolutely stunning that park stage

uM4SUXw.gif

KoF 99: Park
I've never even played this game before but now I want to buy it. It's that beautiful

These seem to be concept art, but if the in game renders of these newest KOF XIV stages are anywhere near as vibrant, then SNK's still got it as far as stages are concerned.
PXsSvlA.jpg

p12xmeF.jpg

Fountain of Dreams is amazing. Wish they remade it with proper reflections. The music that plays to is probably on of the best of Smash.

nillah

Banned
Clay Fighter had a BUNCH along with great music and overall just a solid atmosphere

Clay%20Fighter%2063%201-3%20(U)%20(Beta).png

I'd really like a new Clay Fighter -:/ think about how awesome that art style would be with today's tech

Mephala

I really enjoyed this one for some reason.
yZfi0Ke.png

It is from Power Stone 2. I think I enjoy it because there are so many little holes you can accidentally fall into as well as many spots that lets you flip from when jumping. It has a few different ways to reach the top layers and fighting up there is quite a thrill.

Top Bottom