• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fightpad for PS4?

Doosi

Banned
In preparation for SFV, I would like to get one for my PS4. I used the Saturn USB pad on my PS3 which I loved. Is there anything similar on PS4? I don't like arcade sticks.

Atolm

The Fighting Commander 4 by Horii has been getting rabid reviews. Works with PS3 and PS4. Your Amazon branch should have it.

Edit: beaten

That Hori looks bad to me in photos, but I can't deny all these rave reviews it is getting.

What's the alternative? Wasn't Madcatz releasing one?

Speaking of the ps2 Saturn pad, are there any awesome converters for ps2 to ps4?

I have the pelican ones for ps2 to ps3 and they worked flawlessly for me. I want something like that.

JayEH

The madcatz SFV branded pads are coming out next month with the game. I believe the Hori pad doesn't have a touch pad so you might miss out on some minor things. (In USFIV you need the touch pad to show the motions for trial mode and such)

Do we know if SFV has the PS3 controller driver yet? I'm not up for buying another stick.

They haven't said anything I believe so I doubt it. You could always buy a Cronus max to use your ps3 stick if the drivers aren't used.

They haven't said anything I believe so I doubt it. You could always buy a Cronus max to use your ps3 stick if the drivers aren't used.

I'll be annoyed but I guess there's a work around avaliable. The driver was made free so they had little excuse
though they would have to implement it and that's not free.

Edit: Woah jeez, that would cost the same amount as a controller (still cheaper than a new fightstick).

I know some people prefer them, I'm just asking if the d-pad here has any advantages over the standard controller.

Also coming from someone with zero experience with fighting game controllers.

no difference in terms of ease of use, it's about what you're used to.

I tried stick, then realized I hadn't played in arcades for [time redacted] and that I'm better at pad.

The one exception is that pads are much rougher on your hand muscles and easier to burn them out on if you're practicing fighters. breaks should be more frequent at the least--do actually heed the warnings about a break every hour and get some ice packs if you're gonna have a crack session for hours a day.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm a bit hesitant on this. Like why would you pick this over a stick?

Picking up a stick isn't super intuitive. It can take weeks to feel like you're not fighting the controls. In some cases, the disconnect gets frustrating enough that people give up on trying to use the stick entirely.

With a six button pad, you get all the buttons in easy reach, (the primary advantage of something like the Hori fighting commander pad over a stock controller) and you get a familiar input method without having to pay $200+. Also some people hate the disconnected d pad that Sony favors since it can be harder to feel/hit diagonals with it.

HotHamBoy

Terrible advice. Buy what you're comfortable playing on.

To be fair, no one who didn't grow up playing in arcades all the time in the 90s, especially if they weren't playing a lot of fighters, is comfortable using a stick at first. It took me at least a couple weeks to acclimate when I got my first stick and it was very awkward at first. But over time you'll adjust until it becomes second nature and the moment you try to use a pad again you'll realize how much better, more comfortable and more fun it is to use a fight stick.

I'm not saying a fight stick will make you a better player, but I do think it's worth learning to use one. Especially if you ever do end up playing on a real arcade machine. For me, though, I just prefer the kinetic nature and the lack of finger fatigue.

Skilletor

To be fair, no one who didn't grow up playing in arcades all the time in the 90s, especially if they weren't playing a lot of fighters, is comfortable using a stick at first. It took me at least a couple weeks to acclimate when I got my first stick and it was very awkward at first. But over time you'll adjust until it becomes second nature and the moment you try to use a pad again you'll realize how much better, more comfortable and more fun it is to use a fight stick.

I'm not saying a fight stick will make you a better player, but I do think it's worth learning to use one. Especially if you ever do end up playing on a real arcade machine. For me, though, I just prefer the kinetic nature and the lack of finger fatigue.

Except I don't think playing on a stick is better than playing on a pad. It's all 100% preference.

I don't think anybody in America runs the risk of running into real arcade machines, either, lol.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
To be fair, no one who didn't grow up playing in arcades all the time in the 90s, especially if they weren't playing a lot of fighters, is comfortable using a stick at first.

Nah. I was used to arcades. Home sticks always felt super weird in comparison. I preferred pads for years.

HotHamBoy

Nah. I was used to arcades. Home sticks always felt super weird in comparison. I preferred pads for years.

Well that's true, that threw me off too. Japanese sticks and buttons feel pretty different than American ones. I remembered bat tops, throw and resistance.

Still, i like to compare it to playing playing Guitar Hero with a pad. You can do it but then you're just playing amplitude. Still fun! But it doesn't have the same satisfying feel. The guitar controllers took time to wrap your head around too, but once you got there it felt great.

It's not for everyone, but I think everyone should give it a good two week try on an entry level stick or a buddy's. You can use them for other games, like SHMUPS, too, it wouldn't be a total waste. And people should seek out existing arcades, still no better way to throw down with strangers. I played with randoms at the Louisville Arcade Expo last year, for the first time, and had an awesome time with the little community that formed around the Garou machine. (Incidentally, it was a Candy Cab, and I did have a distinct advantage of most people)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Isn't that hori pad with the elongated left handle the old version? They don't even sell that here anymore, it was replaced with this. Unless this one is still just in Japan.

KdGHqya.jpg

Whoa I was looking to get that fight pad for SF5. At that price it's a steal. Is there anything wrong with it compared to the new model one?

Edit: Even gamestop has it on sale too

Vex_

Banned
Ummm I'm looking at that dpad on the hori.... Do those edges hurt your fingers at all? Square edges usually bruise my thumbs abit.

I thought about getting a stick, but the last time I tried (it was a square gate as you stick guys call it) I couldn't even do a fireball motion. I couldn't even stop myself from accidentally jumping. Ridiculous.

anyways, I still want to try a stick someday again, but sticks are waay too expensive, and all the midrange sticks are sold out. So pad it is.

Just want to know how hard that hori is on fingers.

Degen

The Hori FC4 is amazing

No surprise since the FC3 was the best fight pad on the PS3 (and I tried everything but the Neogeo pad)

I did just get the Mortal Kombat pad as a gift, but I haven't used it yet

Mugy

Terrible advice. Buy what you're comfortable playing on.

Being said, buy a Fight Stick.

But really, buy whatever you feel comfortable. A fight stick is hard to get into if you aren't into fighting games really that deep, plus they are expensive

Raijinken

Somewhat related to the thread (and I can't make my own)

Has anyone here used a Fighting Stick Mini before? The price has me tempted to purchase one but I don't know how great it is. $40 for a stick has me concerned.

Somewhat related to the thread (and I can't make my own)

Has anyone here used a Fighting Stick Mini before? The price has me tempted to purchase one but I don't know how great it is. $40 for a stick has me concerned.

I was just going to ask the same question. I'm looking for a cheap PC/PS4 stick or pad for some casual fighting games. I can't decide between the mini or just going with the commander.

JayEH

Ummm I'm looking at that dpad on the hori.... Do those edges hurt your fingers at all? Square edges usually bruise my thumbs abit.

I thought about getting a stick, but the last time I tried (it was a square gate as you stick guys call it) I couldn't even do a fireball motion. I couldn't even stop myself from accidentally jumping. Ridiculous.

anyways, I still want to try a stick someday again, but sticks are waay too expensive, and all the midrange sticks are sold out. So pad it is.

It'll take weeks before you're completely comfortable with stick. Not having full control like you mentioned is very common. Took me about 2 months before I felt competent with stick. You just need to keep at it and know what you're signing up for. If you don't want to put the time commitment then stick with pad.

Vex_

Banned
It'll take weeks before you're completely comfortable with stick. Not having full control like you mentioned is very common. Took me about 2 months before I felt competent with stick. You just need to keep at it and know what you're signing up for. If you don't want to put the time commitment then stick with pad.

So basically you're telling me I am a
filthy
casul?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Can we stop with the pad vs stick talk? He's asking what the best pad is.

I'm not big on any of the pads currently out on the PS4 right now. I have the FC4 and the MKX pad. The latter is definitely not worth it and the Hori is so-so, IMO. The d-pad doesn't feel that great to me. I've done OK with it during the SF4 beta tests but it just doesn't feel right when I use it with Ultra SF4, so I just use my PS3 Mad Catz controller instead.

Hoping that the Mad Catz PS4 fightpads coming out next month will be as good as the previous versions were.

No_Style

The FC4 is great. I bought it for games games like MKX but ended up using for the SFV beta as well since I didn't have a compatible stick. I decided to just stay with this pad since I was comfortable with it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I have had no issues with discomfort with the Hori d-pad. The edges are rounded a bit. My thumb technique also minimizes friction; I don't use my thumb tip to press the directions, I rock my thumb pad/joint over the d-pad. If you play differently, I can't vouch for how it will feel.

I know some people prefer them, I'm just asking if the d-pad here has any advantages over the standard controller.

Also coming from someone with zero experience with fighting game controllers.

I think the d-pad is better than the DS4's for circular motions and it's definitely better than the 360 pad for everything. The other advantage of this controller is that all the shoulder buttons are just flat buttons, no triggers. This gives you more viable buttons to work with.

Hyun Sai

Quoting myself from the community thread.

I just received my Hori Fighting Commander IV. I no longer can use stick due to pain in the hands so this was my last chance to continue playing fighting games.

So far, I'm really impressed. Simple design, good feeling, the pad is top notch, and the fact that they kept the 4 buttons on the back on top of the 6 front button is great idea. I always hated using the left ones, it messed my input.

Only downside, no jack for headset, so you'll have to use a USB one.

Waiting on SFV release now he he he.

And just to be sure, they're still making the FC4 right ? I heard rumors it was replaced by one cheap model.

Vex_

Banned
I have had no issues with discomfort with the Hori d-pad. The edges are rounded a bit. My thumb technique also minimizes friction; I don't use my thumb tip to press the directions, I rock my thumb pad/joint over the d-pad. If you play differently, I can't vouch for how it will feel.

Awww that's me. I use the tip of my finger because I feel it gives accuracy. I might have to convert some day to your technique. Hurts :c

Vice

Quoting myself from the community thread.

And just to be sure, they're still making the FC4 right ? I heard rumors it was replaced by one cheap model.
It's still up for purchase in most places. It goes on sae pretty often too.

Vex_

Banned
I'm going to wait for the Madcatz fightpad. Looks pretty good.

[rl]

Ooooohhhhhh so that's how that "D-Plate" works?? It pivots? Wow. And no weird edges means it won't hurt my thumbs. Looks like 360s will be easier on that too as well.

This might be what I was looking for. I wish I could test alot of these things out before I bought them.

Lol. Anyone else notice how mark shakes when he hits his electrics? Lmao. It is like the impact hits him!

Top Bottom