• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Game Over Screens

LOL. What game is that from?

It's AVGN's version of Friday the 13th's ending.

This is what it really says:
f1310.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ninja Gaiden in the arcade had an awesome continue screen.

ninjaGaidenArcade_%2815%29.jpg

earliest nightmare fuel. i dropped quarters into this and final fight so they wouldnt die in horrible ways when i was younger

Kurod

Banned
Double Dragon Neon
XnmO3he.jpg

Hitting continue will prompt Jimmy to zoom in and block the attack "Three Stooges" style.

Missile Command's bright yellow flash with "THE END" in large red letters once the nuclear holocaust consumes the world.

w-r-o-n-g
They're picking it because they're fucking right.
Well I don't expect people to chime in and say " Yeah you're right that's exactly why I picked it" because they aren't even aware that is why they picked it. They are in denial.

Sega Rally all the way. Game over man, game over.

That incredibly disturbing, 5 minute long forced death/credits speed up in El Shaddai upon fulfilling a certain condition
falling into the underworld while trying to collect Ishtar bones
. That really affected me for a few hours after it happened.

Metal Gear Solid (the original game) had an awesome game over screen. "Snake? SNAKE?! SSSNNNAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEE!!!!" *gunshot like someone executed Snake*

Of course, it makes no sense that a military commander would have a melodramatic reaction like that to one of his agents dying, but the game was so damn new and fresh and exciting in so many ways, it just fit somehow.

Resident Evil 4 made a subtle change to the RE game over screen that had a lot of impact. I remember the first time I died in the game... I believe Dr. Salvator chainsawed my head off as I stared, mouth agape for what seemed like a long time."You Are Dead." I said said aloud, "You're goddamned right I am."

I think I love every single thing about RE4. It's been a long time since I felt that way about a game.

Another one that I think fit the game's mood perfectly was in Rule of Rose: "And they lived happily ever after." Chilling, in context.

Platy

I was going to say that the Star Fox "nooooooooooooooo" were better than "snake ? Snaaaaakeeeee" ... but ... my favorite has to be Slippy's "Snake ? Snaaaaakeee" wich is not exactly a Game over Screen, but since it is a mix of 2 death screens than it deserves a mention

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Agree with everyone who said Nocturne.

But also, King's Quest VI: http://youtu.be/HLSviwsbA_k?t=45s

The neat part is later on in the game you can explore the game over area and see what is beyond that door. Also, your game over will change if you die while you're already there, so that's kind of cool.

Top Bottom