• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming headphones right now?

Courage

Such a garbage opinion that I'm sick and tired of seeing parroted on GAF.

That setup only makes sense for PC gaming. For consoles it's pointless because the audio quality from the controller ports is severely compressed compared to what you get from a dedicated amp on PC. You end up with these fancy ass headphones that aren't giving you better quality than a dedicated headset. You just get to mess with a bigger tangle of wires. Yay!

For consoles, get a fucking headset. They make good ones. Find the one that works best for your platform and buy it.

Actually, you can use the Astro mixamp for consoles and still get to use a dedicated amp. It's a convoluted solution but it works fine for me.

A good pair of hi-fi stereo headphones is probably your best bet. Headphone amp to drive them if necessary.
This.

If you're looking for headphones, then I recommend staying away from gaming products.

They're highly overpriced and generally inferior to experienced headphone manufacturers.

Actually, you can use the Astro mixamp for consoles and still get to use a dedicated amp. It's a convoluted solution but it works fine for me.
Be careful with that combo. If your headphones and amp are good enough, you will notice how bad even such a premium gaming product like an Astro MixAmp is. You may hear all its faults and your experience WILL suffer.

Mixamp definitely seems like one of the better solutions for consoles. Lets you use whatever headphones and mic you want, plus mixing game and chat audio is effortless. Audio for Switch and other consoles that don't output via optical can be solved by running optical from your TV to the Mixamp if the TV supports that output. Just gives stereo but at least you can chat easily.

I don't know how much power the Mixamp has, but it seems to drive my 32ohm DT990 premiums well enough.

LogicStep

I found this forum post that has reviews for different headphones/sets and gaming is part of the criteria.

link

Got the link from this video

I'm wondering if a sound card is needed. Is the ideal a sound card with an amp and headphones or can the amp replace the sound card or vice versa.

Do you need a mic on it?

If not, the HD598's are the headphones of choice. They are open back so you can pinpoint the direction of footsteps and gun fire on FPS's.

I've owned mine for 2 years. Great build quality.

twisted89

Pretty much. My A50s were ok but certainly not worth the price. Sennheiser's wireless headphones are far better in my opinion, and cheaper.

Yep one of the many 'gamer' branded headphones out there where they've clearly spent more money on making it look cool than the actual components.

Had a set of A40's and will never go back, they completely broke after about 9 months and the Mixamp would cause this awful buzzing noise when it was near anything electrical (guessing they cheaped out here again and didn't bother to insulate it properly.)

Anyone looking for decent headphones please stay away from anything 'gamer' branded, do yourself a favour and get one of the many normal headphones mentioned in this thread and if you really need it - a separate mic.

bedlamite

OP wants a replacement for his Sony thus I'm assuming it'll be for the PS4. Why are people recommending PC desktop setups? Also, are people expecting the OP to plug Senn 598s\DT990s\insert high-end can of your choice with a clip-on mic into a god damn DS4 and have it sound good?

Get a midrange wireless headset and call it a day.

Step 1 is to ignore every single gamer-branded headset you see.

Step 2 is to get the best open-backed headphone you can afford from a brand such as Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Phillips, etc.

Step 3 is to get an amp if needed to drive the above.

Step 4 is to get a stand alone mic, either desktop or modular that can attach to the headphones.

If you want to be able to use them with the DS4 you can get an adapter on amazon that splits the single 3.5mm jack into dedicated ports for the headphones and a separate mic

BiggNife

OP wants a replacement for his Sony thus I'm assuming it'll be for the PS4. Why are people recommending PC desktop setups? Also, are people expecting the OP to plug Senn 598s\DT990s\insert high-end can of your choice with a clip-on mic into a god damn DS4 and have it sound good?

Get a midrange wireless headset and call it a day.

HyperX Cloud IIs can plug into the PS4 both via USB or by the headphone jack on the DS4 and both work fine. It's a perfectly capable console headset.

Such a garbage opinion that I'm sick and tired of seeing parroted on GAF.

That setup only makes sense for PC gaming. For consoles it's pointless because the audio quality from the controller ports is severely compressed compared to what you get from a dedicated amp on PC. You end up with these fancy ass headphones that aren't giving you better quality than a dedicated headset. You just get to mess with a bigger tangle of wires. Yay!

For consoles, get a fucking headset. They make good ones. Find the one that works best for your platform and buy it.

That would be true if there was no other way to get sound out of the console outside of the jack on the controller.

Courage

Be careful with that combo. If your headphones and amp are good enough, you will notice how bad even such a premium gaming product like an Astro MixAmp is. You may hear all its faults and your experience WILL suffer.

I'd say the audio quality isn't bad, it's the mic quality which gets filtered through the Mixamp that suffers. I use a Modmic and there's a night and day difference when I'm using it on consoles vs. directly into my PC.

Mixamp definitely seems like one of the better solutions for consoles. Lets you use whatever headphones and mic you want, plus mixing game and chat audio is effortless. Audio for Switch and other consoles that don't output via optical can be solved by running optical from your TV to the Mixamp if the TV supports that output. Just gives stereo but at least you can chat easily.

I don't know how much power the Mixamp has, but it seems to drive my 32ohm DT990 premiums well enough.

I use a monitor so I actually had to get a HDMI audio extractor so I could use optical on my Switch. My entire setup is a mess of cables but it works fine.

bedlamite

That would be true if there was no other way to get sound out of the console outside of the jack on the controller.

HyperX Cloud IIs can plug into the PS4 both via USB or by the headphone jack on the DS4 and both work fine. It's a perfectly capable console headset.

You'd end up with 30 feet of headphone cable running across your living room, from the console to your headphones. I'll leave it up to the OP to decide if this is how he wants to play games.

OP, check out /r/buildapcsales and use the filter on the right to look for headphones:

From a quick glance I see these:

Sennheiser HD558, $70

Phillips SHP 9500S, $50

Sennheiser HD598-C, $99

I've been currently looking at getting the Audio-Technica ath-m40x as a step up from my sennheiser hd201 that recently broke and and I've been using Sony MDRZX110NC Noise Cancelling Headphones I've had as an interim. I'm aware through searching that the ath-m40x has a narrow soundstage and is supposedly light on the bass (which in my case is a good thing since I can't hear people easily through bass heavy sounds.

All in all, would the ath-m40x be an all around improvement to what I've been using for general purpose headphones?

Courage

I've been currently looking at getting the Audio-Technica ath-m40x as a step up from my sennheiser hd201 that recently broke and and I've been using Sony MDRZX110NC Noise Cancelling Headphones I've had as an interim. I'm aware through searching that the ath-m40x has a narrow soundstage and is supposedly light on the bass (which in my case is a good thing since I can't hear people easily through bass heavy sounds.

All in all, would the ath-m40x be an all around improvement to what I've been using for general purpose headphones?

Yes, it's pretty much the defacto recommendation for general purpose usage. If you can save up a little more get the M50x.

shira

I just bout the Astro A50's! Best headset I've ever owned! http://www.astrogaming.com

Siberia 800 by mile than any other headset, but you will need to drop good money on it.

Its something i also use after heavy testing of various sets.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/siberia-800
siberia-800-transmitter.png__952x800_q85_crop-scale_optimize_subsampling-2.png
People actually drop $300 US on single use gaming headphones?
They must sound out of this world for that price.

gogosox82

My Sony headset recently snapped in half so I'm wondering what the overall best replacement would be. Compatibility with the Switch would be a plus.

EDIT: To be more specific, my max price would be roughly $150 and in terms of sound quality, it only has to be "good enough."

Gaming headsets are like gaming chairs. Good ones really don't exist and you'd better off getting a good office chair/audiophile headset and with headsets getting a wireless amp.

You'd end up with 30 feet of headphone cable running across your living room, from the console to your headphones. I'll leave it up to the OP to decide if this is how he wants to play games.

295388iA7A48D08FA58C511.jpg

I have no issues with volume level on my hyperX cloud II's and it's plugged in via the 3.5mm jack, and the PS4 controller supports both.

As said in a few posts, buy a good set of traditional headphones. I bought a set of Philips X1s a few years ago and still use them daily and still love the sound.

After struggling with getting pain in the top of my head from wearing A40's for more then an hour, I just took the mixamp and bought Sennheiser 598c's on an Amazon sale and am quite happy with that setup.

Depends on setup. We could argue back and forth all day but saying one cannot hook up a decent setup to the PS4 is misleading.

Duxxy3

I've seen the DT770 pro 80s mentioned as one of the best headphones for gaming, apparently their positional tracking is one of the best out there. Anyone have an experience with these?

For a closed headphone they have excellent positional audio. Not quite there with some of the better open headphones, but really good for closed. If I had to give up all of my headphones except for one, I'd keep the DT 770's.

IMACOMPUTA

I've used various Sennheisers with added microphones, AT M50s, etc.

I'm using the HyperX Cloud II's now and they're by far the most comfortable. I have a big head and the M50's felt like they were clamped to my head.

Cloud II's sound great and have good build quality.

I got them on an Amazon Warehouse deal and paid like 60-70 bucks. The box was dented.

molnizzle

Depends on setup. We could argue back and forth all day but saying one cannot hook up a decent setup to the PS4 is misleading.

The point is that the vast majority of people are plugging in to the controller, which completely negates the purpose of expensive audiophile headphones. If you want to benefit from the actual quality of the cans you end up with a complicated, expensive setup with multiple wires running all over your living room. Most just plug in to the controller.

295388iA7A48D08FA58C511.jpg

I have no issues with volume level on my hyperX cloud II's and it's plugged in via the 3.5mm jack, and the PS4 controller supports both.

^ Like this guy. He doesn't even know.

I have a wireless headset (Afterglow brand, older model) with 50mm drivers that accepts either optical or 3.5mm in. The difference between optical and DS4 3.5mm is night and day. Y'all don't realize it, but the audio quality you get from the controller port is real bad.

Best bet is to buy a headset like the kind I have. Optical in from your TV, USB chat to PS4. True, full wireless headset for PS4. For Xbox One, an additional 3.5mm cable connects from the headset to the controller (or smartphone for the Switch).

You have to hunt a bit to find these because most of the new ones don't have the optical port which is key. They exist though, and give you a far better "comfy couch" experience than running long ass wires across your living room and clipping an external mic to your shirt.

Don't get Astro's though. There's a ringing in the right ear that they still hadn't fixed as of about a year ago. I ended up returning them and sticking with the cheaper Afterglows.

LogicStep

Is there a dedicated thread for this topic, specifically for gaming?

I see the AKG K702 are regarded as one of, if not the best in positional audio and clarity. Anyone have these?

I wonder what would be the best setup for these (PC) with an amp and dac or a sound card. I also wonder about a magnetic mic working well with these open headphones.

I have Astro a40 like I mentioned before and it sounds good to me but I don't know what I'm missing. At least in PUBG positional is ok. Sometimes I can hear the enemy other times I'm not entirely sure where the sound is coming from. I'd love to have something that helped me tell exactly where other players are.

Gxgear

Within reasonable budgets, Audio Technica M50x for closed back (doubles as headphones for music); Sennheiser HD 598 for open (think it comes with a retractable mic, haven't opened mine from prime day). Actually I would recommend the Audio Technica AD700X over the M50x, as its the successor of the AD700 which was godlike for gaming (still using it).

Under $100 I've personally had good experiences with HyperX headsets.

Is there a dedicated thread for this topic, specifically for gaming?

I see the AKG K702 are regarded as one of, if not the best in positional audio and clarity. Anyone have these?

I wonder what would be the best setup for these (PC) with an amp and dac or a sound card. I also wonder about a magnetic mic working well with these open headphones.

I have Astro a40 like I mentioned before and it sounds good to me but I don't know what I'm missing. At least in PUBG positional is ok. Sometimes I can hear the enemy other times I'm not entirely sure where the sound is coming from. I'd love to have something that helped me tell exactly where other players are.

I have an pair of AKG K7XX, which are similar to the K702 (as far as I know). I also have an Audio Techica AD900X, which is sort of a similar design to the K702 and ver close to the AD700X mentioned above.

I like the AD900X way more in terms of both hearing the position of things and the way it sounds for the kind of music that you typically hear in video games. The positional sound on the Audio Technicas is amazing. Unfortunately, the build quality is kind of garbage compared to the AKGs. I think they're both a decent choice for games though.

I bought a modmic to attach to my headphones and haven't had any problems, but I guess you could use a desk mic too as long as you're playing on a PC.

I have the lucidsound ls20's that I personally think are incredible. I have a friend who has the ls30's and absolutely loves them

TheExodu5

Banned
I've seen the DT770 pro 80s mentioned as one of the best headphones for gaming, apparently their positional tracking is one of the best out there. Anyone have an experience with these?

I hated them. Acoustics made it feel like the drivers were inside a big tin can. Super bloated badd and shrill highs, with a very recessed midrange. I have no idea what some of the audiophiles see in these. The Cloud X have better soundstage and tonal balance for half the price.

I have an pair of AKG K7XX, which are similar to the K702 (as far as I know). I also have an Audio Techica AD900X, which is sort of a similar design to the K702 and ver close to the AD700X mentioned above.

I like the AD900X way more in terms of both hearing the position of things and the way it sounds for the kind of music that you typically hear in video games. The positional sound on the Audio Technicas is amazing. Unfortunately, the build quality is kind of garbage compared to the AKGs. I think they're both a decent choice for games though.

I bought a modmic to attach to my headphones and haven't had any problems, but I guess you could use a desk mic too as long as you're playing on a PC.

K702 sound fantastic, but that damn bump on the headband makes them super uncomfortable for extended sessions. I also think I've developped tinnitus because of them. They have so little distortion that you don't notice just how loud the sound is when you're using them.

ATH-M50 are heavy, bulky, don't breath that well until you add velour pads. They sound decent, little bassy but hard to recommend for long gaming sessions.

TheExodu5

Banned
ATH-M50 are heavy, bulky, don't breath that well until you add velour pads. They sound decent, little bassy but hard to recommend for long gaming sessions.

People seem to always forget this when it comes to gaming. Music headphones are often not designed for multi hour sessions. And you can't really tell just how comfortale a pair is until you wear them for an extended period of time. Again, take the K702 for example. Super light, no pressure on the ears...seems great at first. But then the headband starts digging in after about 15 minutes, and after an hour the top of your head really hurts.

Even Sennheisers like the HD598 have the dreaded clamp. You basically need to stretch then out for then to be bearable over extended sessions.

Comfort should be the #1 criteria for gaming headphones, ahead of sound quality.

LogicStep

The AD900x is 100 cheaper than the K702. I'm thinking I will pick one of these. I'm just not sure which. Will pick up a modmic as well. And probably an Asus Xonar card.

Got a lot of research to do tonight.

In your opinion, are the AD900 a lot better or are they pretty similar?

Iced

Sennheiser 598s paired with a Fiio E10K and a ModMic. I've used this setup for several years and I don't see myself making changes anytime soon.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently using a pair of Senheiser PC131, they're old but mostly fine, what would be a noticeable upgrade headphone wise for PC? I have an Asus XG 5.1 soundcard. I have idea what all specs mean.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Unfortunately not.

Hopefully they have something new in the works though. The convenience is great for those who don't game at desks.
I'd buy one as soon as it was announced. Would love higher quality audio than the DS4 provides without having wires all over the room.

People seem to always forget this when it comes to gaming. Music headphones are often not designed for multi hour sessions. And you can't really tell just how comfortale a pair is until you wear them for an extended period of time. Again, take the K702 for example. Super light, no pressure on the ears...seems great at first. But then the headband starts digging in after about 15 minutes, and after an hour the top of your head really hurts.

Even Sennheisers like the HD598 have the dreaded clamp. You basically need to stretch then out for then to be bearable over extended sessions.

Comfort should be the #1 criteria for gaming headphones, ahead of sound quality.
My HD598s are the most comfortable headsets I've ever worn. I had the issue with pressure on my head with the Sony Elite headsets from the PS3 era but these feel great.

WadeitOut

Most comfortable headset I've ever worn is the newer Steelseries Arctis 5. It's wired stereo for consoles though.

Astro fanboy otherwise though.

Top Bottom