• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best LCD Monitor for gaming?

shpankey

not an idiot
Looking to upgrade and want something without (or very little) ghosting, if possible. Also, prefer widescreen.

shpankey said:
Looking to upgrade and want something without (or very little) ghosting, if possible. Also, prefer widescreen.

Budget? Preference to size? Need DVI, speakers? Preferred resolution? This is where you need to take the capabilities of your graphics card in mind. If it can render your games at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 fine, then no worries. LCD's prefer to play at their native resolution if at all possible.

As far as ghosting is concerned, look for specs with a response time of around 2-4ms. Lower is always better. 8ms is par, and you may experience ghosting.

Newegg power search - widescreen LCD with response time below 8ms

shpankey

not an idiot
liquoredonlife said:
Budget? Preference to size? Need DVI, speakers? Preferred resolution? This is where you need to take the capabilities of your graphics card in mind. If it can render your games at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 fine, then no worries. LCD's prefer to play at their native resolution if at all possible.

As far as ghosting is concerned, look for specs with a response time of around 2-4ms. Lower is always better. 8ms is par, and you may experience ghosting.

Newegg power search - widescreen LCD with response time below 8ms
sweet thnx. and i'll probably build the whole system around the monitor, believe it or not. so i'll find the best gaming monitor and buy the parts to be able to run that resolution with a bit to spare. my current pc uses a del 2005fpw and i really hate it for gaming. so i'm giving it to my daughter (which is more than enough for her, pentium 4 2.8 @ 3.2 on an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and with a 6800gt and raptor 10k rpm HDD and one of the new seagate's 320gig).

but the one thing i want to make sure of this time is to get a much better gaming monitor that doesn't ghost like this one. i hate it for games, i wish i had a crt for gaming believe it or not. love it for browsing the web though.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The Dell 2005FPW is greatness. What about it do you 'hate'? Are you not running your games in 1600X1050?

As dark10x will be quick to point out, LCDs aren't the best gaming displays. No fixed pixel display device is as you're kind of stuck w/ one resolution if you want the best possible image. I'm mature enough to beable to sacrifice some IQ for form factor, but many are not.

Keep that in mind.

shpankey

not an idiot
the ghosting mostly, but also the black levels (I got an early one that leaks light fairly bad) also, and I know this is common sense, but if you don't have Vsync enabled for every game, the tearing is atrocious. but then that kills the framerate. but back in the day on my Sony CRT I couldn't ever see tearing with Vsync off. I've heard that LCD's just naturally exacerbate that though.

DaCocoBrova

^^

Ah, I see. You have the older one. Revision A03 fixes all of that.

DaCocoBrova said:
The Dell 2005FPW is greatness. What about it do you 'hate'? Are you not running your games in 1600X1050?

As dark10x will be quick to point out, LCDs aren't the best gaming displays. No fixed pixel display device is as you're kind of stuck w/ one resolution if you want the best possible image. I'm mature enough to beable to sacrifice some IQ for form factor, but many are not.

Keep that in mind.

Did yours have the color banding issue that seemed to float in the news about a month ago?

DaCocoBrova

That would be the newer 2007FPW. The 2005 never had that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DaCocoBrova said:

Keep that in mind.
With the right scaler and features, however, fixed pixel displays can scale beautifully.

My new Pioneer plasma actually scales low resolution images better than *ANY* CRT I've ever used. It completely beats out my Sony CRT when it comes to dealing with 480i/480p sources. Not only that, it handles extremely low resolution material (PSX, Saturn, etc.) beautifully. There are some filtering settings that you can use which completely change the image. You can soften an image (almost like a depth of field filter) and create completely clean and smooth images out of normally low resolution material. The pre-renders used in old PSX RPGs, for instance, can seeming be devoid of ALL pixelation and look like smooth CG images. It is a beautiful effect that has me digging through old, low resolution games once again. Even without touching those filters, a raw PS2 game seems so crisp, clean, and sharp running through this set. I've never seen a scaler this good in a consumer product.

I couldn't possibly recommend it enough. Easily one of the best gaming displays on the market. Doesn't really apply here, though, as the smallest size is 42" and they are basically the most expensive plasmas on the consumer market today. >_<

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
momolicious said:
how is 5ms is 5ms good for LCD?

ive actually read that 12ms is good enough
No LCD is fast enough for my eyes, unfortunately. I've heard that going below 8ms tends to reduce the quality of the image, however, so you should probably stay above that.

Top Bottom