• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Main Menu Screens

Fireflu

130513-1222-55.jpg

TODAY I WOKE AND LOOKED OUTSIDE AGAIN
BUT THE SKY LOOKED THE SAME TO ME
SOMETHING TOLD ME THAT THIS WORLD HAD CHANGED
COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT DID IT MEAN

I really hope this song is the first thing to be modded back into the game when it arrives on PC.

Can't believe they removed it from the Dark Arisen version of the game, it was utterly majestic.

Very disappointed that Ratchet and Clank hasn't been posted yet.

JdvnV.png

The characters would lounge around and play their own games - sometimes Jak and Daxter.

https://youtu.be/w7vlq4gzTjo

A level of charm that is lacking from Insomniac Games as of late. They did a similar one for Full Frontal Assault but Into the Nexus brought back the lazy still shots with just the game title and music. Hopefully the next R&C game is a return to form.

My man

bman94

Even though this isn't the best shot of it, I really like Lego Jurassic World's main menu screen. It shows a bunch of park related information as if it's a real running theme park. In the middle of the screen it would show various parts of park with cameos of all the main characters from all the movies interacting in the park. Coupled that with Jurassic Park's fantastic score and you have a main menu screen I could look at for hours.

I confess, I'm a sucker for Main Menus that update as you go through the game. As a result, Sonic Unleashed's has to be my favourite - the world map is in the background, and how whole the world is depends on how far you've gotten in the game.

083e2e601a.png

So in this case, its because their player has basically completed the game, leaving only Eggmanland (which is conveniently hidden from view)

Since Xenoblade Chronicles X and the Metroid Prime series have been mentioned, I'll go with Fire Emblem Awakening. Unfortunately, I cannot find a good image or video of it from a quick search. I like how it has the Fire Emblem sitting in water and how it spans both screens. And I really like the Awakening rendition of the main theme.

It looks really nice in 3D as well.

PillarEN

Could not find a YouTube vid but Max Payne 3 also has various main menu screens depending on where you are in the game.

Celegus

I feel like this comes up every month, and the answer is still Metroid Prime. Pretty much the only game I let sit on the menu every single time I boot it up because the music and visual are so incredible.

Mario Maker's is really great too, since you can play the darn thing as well as poke all the letters.

magnetic

I really like Battlefronts menu screen:

Star-Wars-Battlefront-Menu-Season-Pass-DLC.jpg

Reminds me of Forza, which is all about shiny cars in clean environments - Star Wars being a very "used" looking universe makes this a weird combination.

I mean, it's clean and functional, but also very nondescript. I feel that this sterile sans serif style will feel very dated after a few years (just like that futuristic Perfect Dark menu font that was everywhere in the late 90s/early 2000s).

Aside from that, screens with a lot of white always are very annoying if you're playing in a dark environment.

Skyrim is the first game I remember having an oddly current design in its menus, which took me out if the immersion a bit. I don't need old timey medieval designs in fantasy games all the time, but it was way too sleek for such a serious fantasy title in my opinion.

Alienous

Reminds me of Forza, which is all about shiny cars in clean environments - Star Wars being a very "used" looking universe makes this a weird combination.

I mean, it's clean and functional, but also very nondescript. I feel that this sterile sans serif style will feel very dated after a few years (just like that futuristic Perfect Dark menu font that was everywhere in the late 90s/early 2000s).

Aside from that, screens with a lot of white always are very annoying if you're playing in a dark environment.

It is sterile but I think they were going for a museum vibe. 'Look, all these Star Wars things'.

ZehDon

Half-Life 2.

It changes based on your progression, but each vignette shows a small piece of the world. A chopper flies over the canal area, while the grass gently blows in the wind. The soldiers endlessly patrol City 17, the sound of their indecipherable radio chatter echoing through the empty streets. Each one tells a small piece of the game's history and setting, and couples with the game's understated story telling perfectly.

magnetic

Half-Life 2.

It changes based on your progression, but each vignette shows a small piece of the world. A chopper flies over the canal area, while the grass gently blows in the wind. The soldiers endlessly patrol City 17, the sound of their indecipherable radio chatter the only sound beside footsteps. Each one tells a small piece of the game's history and setting, and couples with the game's understated story telling.

I don't even like HL2 all that much anymore, but I absolutely agree with you there - such a great atmospheric detail, draws you right into the game.

Top Bottom