• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best PC graphics of 2015

Many great looking games were released in 2015, but Battlefront takes it hands down. The game overall failed in my opinion, but graphics are certainly the best a video game has ever put on a screen.

Feel free to read this about how they've gone about creating photo-realistic recreations of movie battles, it's fascinating. I really applaud them for the effort they've done and the length they've gone to make it look authentic. They succeeded spectacularly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cropped 4K + 200% res scaling + -3.0 mip map Vader and Boba.

1cmsir.png

2gjs9v.png

Battlefront is a multiplayer only game with a lot less happening on its maps than the worlds of Witcher 3, GTA V, Dying Light, or even Fallout 4. That makes Battlefront MUCH less impressive to me. If I really sat and thought about it, GTA V or Witcher 3 are probably the most impressive PC games of 2015. They just have so much more going on than something like Battlefront. Killing Floor 2 looks awesome as well, but like Battlefront, there is a lot less happening on those maps.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's the dark horse answer but no game has blown me away like AC Syndicate this year, and I've played all the games mentioned most in this thread. I'm not saying it's for sure the best-looking game, but to ME it is. The recreation of London is staggeringly good. The characters looks gorgeous too.

Probably Battlefront.

Although stock Battlefront, that is. Base game looks amazing, that toddyhancer thing makes it look like total shit (and even if it looked good, mods don't count).

I'd say GTA V PC is close, which is astounding considering there's no PBR to speak of.

KKRT00

You're thinking of PBR, not photogrammetry. There is nothing in SC's engine pipeline comparable to photogrammetry that I'm aware of.
No, i'm not thinking about PBR.
You are right with geometry, but it cant be easily used with Star Citizen art style. They could maybe use it for some props.
We dont know what they are using for Planetary exploration and Tessellation + PoM + PADM can give similar effect to photogrammetry, but probably its more consuming in terms of creation.

---
Battlefront might be best looking so far but there are games with better character model than Battlefront.

Also every character in the game including NPCs having the same fidelity as a Tier 0 character from a cutscene? eh I don't believe it.

The thing is that Star Citizen wont have Tier 0 models. Everything is real time and shares the same technology, so mediocre actor for some NPCs is recorded in the same way as Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman. Most cutscenes in Squadron 42 will be interactive.

cleansock

Banned
I think bf looks the best graphics wise. Art direction and astmosphere wise I think gta v and don't hate me, mad max. I think those are the best looking games, especially in 1440p and above.

No, i'm not thinking about PBR.
You are right with geometry, but it cant be easily used with Star Citizen art style. They could maybe use it for some props.
We dont know what they are using for Planetary exploration and Tessellation + PoM + PADM can give similar effect to photogrammetry, but probably its more consuming in terms of creation.

Honestly, the game doesn't even need photogrammetry. It's largely unnecessary for that kind of game. I was just pointing out the advantages you get (and Battlefront has) from using it.

GKB

Battlefront gets my vote. I haven't played the game, but looking at these screenshots, very impressive. I hope Mass Effect Andromeda will have similar (or better) graphic.

tuxfool

Banned
Battlefront might be best looking so far but there are games with better character model than Battlefront.

Also every character in the game including NPCs having the same fidelity as a Tier 0 character from a cutscene? eh I don't believe it.

They won't all have the same fidelity. AFAIK there are 3 tiers, Tier 0 for heroes, Tier 1 for important NPCs and Tier 2 for background NPCs

The thing that you're mistaken is that all characters are real time and not just used for cutscenes.

Where did You get this info? I havent heard about it.

They mentioned it during Citizencon.

Tier 0 and Tier 1 were mentioned, But I do not remember the other tiers.

Tier 1 means no extended compression maps and blood maps, unlike Tier 0. It still uses performance capture and basic wrinkle map support.

I could quite easily imagine that some random UEE Marine does not look as good as a Tier 1 even, but that would be pretty normal in a larger cutscene or gameplay area.

Don't care about screenshots, can someone post some vanilla Battlefront videos in 60fps? I mean, you can make anything look amazing in one frame with a ton of mods.

It's the photogrammetry that sets Battlefront apart from the rest. Without it, other game developers will have to work extra hard to pull off similar results. PBR isn't enough.

I am gonna disagree here. Photogrammetry, afai understand it, is just a great starting point to get 1 material into a game, with one albedo colour into a game. If you have a catalogue of said material already built out of some well tuned reference, there should be little to no difference. Also, you wont have to spend hours cleaning up reference images so they work in all lighting conditions.

tuxfool

Banned
I could quite easily imagine that some random UEE Marine does not look as good as a Tier 1 even, but that would be pretty normal in a larger cutscene or gameplay area.

Yeah. Tier 2 is an extrapolation, because I seriously doubt that anybody will care if they don't waste their time with background characters that will only occupy a scene for a few moments. I do however believe that somebody mentioned something about Tier 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I was under the impression that while photogrammetry is indeed incredible, it is really mainly a means of bringing assets into 3D rendering while retaining complexity and realistic material lighting that still utilises the likes of PBR and tessellation for the actual rendering. Insomuch that something like Battlefront succeeds by using photogrammetry on real props and real locations that we're all very familiar, but there is in theory nothing stopping the perceived quality achieved by photogrammetry by being matched with PBR and tessellation values on an asset constructed from scratch. So for example a tree on Endor's moon in Battlefront might have started with photogrammetry, but there's nothing really stopping a similar level of quality from being achieved in another tree built from the ground up should the artist have appropriate talent and the tools/engine advanced enough.

tuxfool

Banned
I am gonna disagree here. Photogrammetry, afai understand it, is just a great starting point to get 1 material into a game, with one albedo colour into a game. If you have a catalogue of said material already built out of some well tuned reference, there should be little to no difference. Also, you wont have to spend hours cleaning up reference images so they work in all lighting conditions.

I do believe that they also use lighting tricks to generate roughness maps. As in they shine point lights at various angles on the object surface and then remove the albedo map. Of course they also extract geometry on the more unique samples.

I was under the impression that while photogrammetry is indeed incredible, it is really mainly a means of bringing assets into 3D rendering while retaining complexity and realistic material lighting that still utilises the likes of PBR and tessellation for the actual rendering. Insomuch that something like Battlefront succeeds by using photogrammetry on real props and real locations that we're all very familiar, but there is in theory nothing stopping the perceived quality achieved by photogrammetry by being matched with PBR and tessellation values on an asset constructed from scratch. So for example a tree on Endor's moon in Battlefront might have started with photogrammetry, but there's nothing really stopping a similar level of quality from being achieved in another tree built from the ground up should the artist have appropriate talent and the tools/engine advanced enough.

Yeah, this is mainly how I see it as well. I mean, are the apparently "photogrammetrically" scanned plants of endor actually such a large amount better than other game's vegetation? I actually think there are parts of Crysis 3's vegetation (which is pre-PBS and defintiely does not use photogrammetry) which have superior rendering quality... like how they are tessellated:
crysis3_2015_08_30_174yu0b.png

Untessellated (edges like in Battlefront)
crysis3_2015_08_30_17xwuqt.png

Sharp edge due to lack of vegetation tessellation (look at the vegetation in foreground)
starwarsbattlefront_2015_11_25_04_02_12_262_by_roderickartist-d9hy1yx.png

Nice materials that vary due to location and wetness
crysis3_2015_08_25_197yuk4.png

I do believe that they also use lighting tricks to generate roughness maps. As in they shine point lights at various angles on the object surface and then remove the albedo map.

Isn't that how material references are created anyway? I remember the a similar process was generated for MGS V... albeit... they did not have it so hyped and did not name it photogrammetry. Aren't there also commercial libraries for these things generated by the natural sciences or otherwise where they generate their material references in a similar way?

valkyre

including mods? I believe that by including mods it aint fair. You can see some incredible things with mods but many times it is rather unplayable due to framerate or other issues.

I will speak on behalf of vanilla versions and thus my vote goes to W3 which looks breathtaking with everything ultra and 60 fps.

tuxfool

Banned
Isn't that how material references are created anyway? I remember the a similar process was generated for MGS V... albeit... they did not have it so hyped and did not name it photogrammetry. Aren't there also commercial libraries for these things generated by the natural sciences or otherwise where they generate their material references in a similar way?

I mean, sure. But if you're generating a digital representation of a specific rock formation, then you'll want a roughness map (and whatever else like albedo) that corresponds to the specific object as it won't have uniform surface properties.

With photogrammetry, which typically is used to create cloned assets or variants of such. However, It doesn't mean that artists cannot use those materials for other things.

But if you're generating a digital representation of a specific rock formation, then you'll want a roughness map that corresponds to the specific object as it won't have uniform surface properties.
Phtogrammetry^TM: Creating "Hero" Rocks One Roughness Map at a Time

Yup. But unlike human/creature models you can orient them at any angle to create new heroes. You can probably stretch them or compress them to create new rocks.

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/creating-assets-for-open-world-demo

They don't go into details here, but I swear I saw a video of somebody doing that stuff.

I swear I saw that video as well now that I think about it...

One thing I am partially curious about, is how hard it is to get residual lighting informatoin out of a photo used for this process? It surely is always there.. so minimizing it to a great extent has to be a top priority.

Braag

From what I've played The Witcher 3 and Batman: Arkham Knight.
From what I've seen (pictures here in GAF) Battlefront.
AC: Syndicate also looks good though Unity still looks superior in some aspects.

tuxfool

Banned
I swear I saw that video as well now that I think about it...

One thing I am partially curious about, is how hard it is to get residual lighting informatoin out of a photo used for this process? It surely is always there.. so minimizing it to a great extent has to be a top priority.

From what I remember, they have a rig with a lot of white lights, much like a miniature studio setup. With this rig they then blast all these lights to ensure there are no shadows for the albedo. To get surface details and/or normals, what they do is just use those lights to create shadows from various angles. The software then determines this information based on how the shadows propagate at each angle.

Top Bottom