• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best RoboCop sequel/reboot?

Best movie?

• RoboCop 2

Votes: 44 89.8%
  • RoboCop 3

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • RoboCop (2014)

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

VulcanRaven

The original RoboCop is a classic and one of the best scifi action movies of all time. Sadly all of the sequels and the reboot were disappointing. Irvin Kershner tried to be somewhat similar to the first one with RoboCop 2 but it just wasn't good and why would they not use the theme song? It just felt wrong. RoboCop 3 was PG-13 and Peter Weller didn't come back. Its not a good movie but I enjoy watching it more than 2. Also they did bring back Basil Poledouris to do the music:

1:18

The 2014 reboot wasn't very memorable.

Last edited:
The problem with the RoboCop reboot is it came out when all action movies were pg13 crap.

Hollywood went through this phase of garbage after garbage barely any violence, no blood and no swearing.

Robocop original had satire and ultra violence. Reboot also copied the factory scene poorly.

I used to like Robocop2 because it had another robot but damn it's boring.

Majormaxxx

Robocop, OG, worked on two levels - for kids and teens it was just an awesome action movie. Yes, it is violent but it is so over the top it looks like a cartoon. Similar to Total Recall. I remember being in first or second grade and kids talked about how cool Robocop was with his gun coming out of his leg etc.

On another level - for adults - it is an awesome satire, similar to Starship Troopers and the satire in that film was so in your face it was shocking some critics didn't get it. It is bizarre that movie needed defending...At least I am doing my part. Only Verhoeven could have done it.

The sequels were flat. No subtext.

NeoGiffer

2014 was actually good.

robocop-robocop-spike.gif

batman-you-have-10-seconds-to-comply

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

RoboCop 2 wins by default I guess. Nothing to brag about though.

The real RoboCop 2 script was repurposed and had a few rewrites to end up as the pilot episode of the TV series.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
The only best Robocop sequel was weirdly the Amiga version of Robocop 3..

I found anyway. All the others were a bit pants. They never recaptured that magic.
Uncrackable cos of the included dongle.

Cracked and on a BBS a week before it was officially released…

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I have to say RoboCop 2
Although RoboCop (2014) was okay, it completely missed the whole point of RoboCop.

The Humanity side of the original was powerful and drove the story as Murphy slowly regains his Memories, Identity and humanity.

He wasn't Product, he was a man.

The Remake completely throws this out the window.
From the get go Murphy knows he is dead and knows who he is and remembers everything.
It a big change and the film is worser for it.

ElRenoRaven

As a hugest RoboCop fan there is it's easily 2, reboot, 3. I'd say 2 is a hair behind the original in terms of my love of it. The reboot would have been great had they just not changed so much. Some people have mentioned some of the issues with it. Still it was very enjoyable. The 3rd while I love it I can't lie. The 3rd was hurt badly by the studios rushing it, changing directors, trying to turn it PG, etc. Burke did ok but the suit clearly didn't fit him properly and his manerisims were so different from Wellers. The lack of grittiness, language, etc hurt it a lot. Jetpack was so stupid, the kid sidekick bad, the robot ninjas beyond stupid. Still when I shut my brain off I enjoy it.

Last edited:
From the get go Murphy knows he is dead and knows who he is and remembers everything.
I think if they had spent more time developing on this and him having to come to terms with his own death, that could have been the 2014 film's version of Murphy exploring his own humanity and what that really means when you're technically a revived corpse. The first portion of the movie started to do it, but then they decided to move things along so that the movie could get to the action.

If done correctly it would have touched on the same topics as Ghost in the Shell and Altered Carbon, but from a more modern and personal standpoint, since he is the first of his kind.

Reactions: TGO

VulcanRaven

I also thought 2014 Robocop had good suits. The second one(the all-black version) with the bike felt like it was inspired by Japanese media.

robocops-first-suit-from-robocop-2014-mid-tier-movie-but-i-v0-ac04wmalatfb1.png

z62hg4qpb6x41.jpg
I didn't like that human hand. It just makes it look like he is wearing a suit. I remember hearing that in the original script it was so people could relate to him more and shake his hand. I don't think the final movie had any of that.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

I think if they had spent more time developing on this and him having to come to terms with his own death, that could have been the 2014 film's version of Murphy exploring his own humanity and what that really means when you're technically a revived corpse. The first portion of the movie started to do it, but then they decided to move things along so that the movie could get to the action.

If done correctly it would have touched on the same topics as Ghost in the Shell and Altered Carbon, but from a more modern and personal standpoint, since he is the first of his kind.
Exactly. It had the beginnings of him exploring what it meant to be human but in a different way but as you said it dropped it too soon and really didn't go deep enough or spend enough time with it.

TwiztidElf

Obviously the only real answer is Robocop2.

But special shoutout to: Our Robocop Remake
Fan remake.

Love the diss to the official remake at 1.42.30, and the excellent breakdancing at the end.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The original RoboCop is a classic and one of the best scifi action movies of all time. Sadly all of the sequels and the reboot were disappointing. Irvin Kershner tried to be somewhat similar to the first one with RoboCop 2 but it just wasn't good and why would they not use the theme song? It just felt wrong. RoboCop 3 was PG-13 and Peter Weller didn't come back. Its not a good movie but I enjoy watching it more than 2. Also they did bring back Basil Poledouris to do the music:

1:18

The 2014 reboot wasn't very memorable.

Him passing was a defeat to my soul..

xrnzaaas

Only Robocop 2 is watchable. The reboot completely missed the vibe of the original film, just like many other modern Hollywood remakes.

I haven't rewatched the tv series, but I think I would abandon it quickly because of the cheap factor.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
His best
b7QXBA4.jpg

But speaking about robocop, is that tv show still in the works? The omnicorp focused one? I want them to set it in some sort of shared universe with cyberdyne and weyland-yutani for a truly bastard Corp fuck everyone series.
Thanks for making me aware of this movie. I will check it out.

While the og remains the best, I liked part 2 a lot. The Cain cyborg is such a great design, one of my favorite ever. Part 2 was written by Frank Miller of all people.
Part 3 I only watched once, and that was enough.

The reboot got too much hate, I thought it was alright.

VulcanRaven

While the og remains the best, I liked part 2 a lot. The Cain cyborg is such a great design, one of my favorite ever. Part 2 was written by Frank Miller of all people.
Part 3 I only watched once, and that was enough.

The reboot got too much hate, I thought it was alright.
Miller is also credited as one of the writers of RoboCop 3.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I watched Robocop 1 and 2 recently and I was really struck by how 2 is basically the same movie.

Mr1999

Ive said this before I think, but Im a huge Robocop fan. I met Peter Weller in person couple of months ago, have a picture taken with him along with my screener autographed. Out of the ones listed Robocop 2 easily wins. There is a workprint for Robocop 2 btw which has some never before released scenes, quality is a potato though. I also have some of the original hand drawn storyboards for Robocop 2 which will likely be shown in Robodoc Season 2 next year.

qWaCUUf.jpg

Last edited:

Mohonky

Robocop 2, it was the only film that was truly trying to play into what made the original great. Did it do it as well? Probably not, hard to when you no longer have a villain like Bodicker still in play. But for what it is, Robocop 2 was still a really entertaining movie.

Robocop 3 is just a joke by comparison.

Robocop 2014 was interesting and I felt it was going to lean hard on the human side of Robocop which it tried in some ways but just ended up missing the mark. If the first two Robocop movies didn't exist, this would probably rate better in my mind. Unfortunately, they do exist.

The other thing missing from Robocop 2014 (and the hole that was 3) was how visceral the violence was in the original robocops. They feel gritty and unapologetic in their vulgar displays of violence. It's actually something I kind of miss. It was pretty hard hitting. I remember a few movies that really went in on that at that time, Predator and its sequel comes to mind, and those movies have been garbage ever since. It's not that what happens in later films isn't as violent, it's just that it doesn't have the same impact.

The only movie I've seen in the past 20 or more years to pull off that style was that Dredd reboot in 2016 I think it was. That had all the hall marks of that visceral violent style that made Robocop so memorable and at the same time unique. Absolutely worth checking out if you loved Robocop.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Something with going to cg plus a general lack of that sadistic JOY in violence did rob a lot of films of the impact of stuff in the 80s. Go watch John Wick or Mr nobody and it is far more graphic in some ways, but just doesn't have the oomph, maybe its the Foley effects?

VulcanRaven

Only like the original and now we're getting a game that looks just as cool.
I'm excited about it. It takes place after the second movie if I remember right. I can understand the decision but would be fun to use the flamethrower arm from RoboCop 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom