• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Tekken game?

Kingpen

Looking to pick up a tekken game for PS3? I didn't really like T6 on 360 (bad load times, didn't like the stages / stage music).

So at this point is T5 : DR the best option for me to pick up on PSN? Is Tekken 6 any better performance wise on the PS3?

The new tekken tag HD version in Tekken Hybrid looks ancient graphically with that spinning foreground against a static background...

Shtof

IMO, stay away. T6 on PS3 is supposedly worse than 360 one every point except the d-pad.

Wait for SFxT or (T^3)2.

Tekken 6 also loads really long on PS3, even after install.

Tekken Hybrid or Tekken 5 DR are your best bets. I'd personally go with DR because I play Dragunov, lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If you didn't like Tekken 6 on 360, it's not going to change much with the PS3-version. Your best bet is T5: DR, which is a fantastic game.

LowParry

You seem hard to please. I mean if Tekken isn't up your ally, why not try other fighters like VF or KOF? Best Tekken? Ehhhh, matter of opinion. Some will say 3, others 5:DR.

Toss up between:

tekken_3_poster_by_fabyleon-d3hce0b.jpg

and

ee141da09a016117111742723784c223.jpg

Degen

Tekken 5 DR is the best Tekken game so far IMO, and the console version of Tag 2 really isn't "right around the corner"

I went back to DR a couple of weeks ago and wondered why I ever stopped playing.

SkylineRKR

I think Dark Resurrection is your only choice here.

Tekken 6 on Ps3 isn't leaps and bounds above the 360 version, and Hybrid doesn't offer much if TTT HD (no online either) is not what you want.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Where's AAK :D?

Sayah

Tekken 6 requires time and investment. A lot of it. Tekken 3 and 5 were my favorites in the series but 6 is obviously the most up-to-date game with the most fluid gameplay. I suppose DR would be a good option if you didn't like 6. Although, I would still insist on retrying 6. If you are having problem doing combos, then just assign commands to the shoulder buttons through controller setup. You can also do "position reset" from practice mode which makes practicing a lot more convenient.

Yoshichan

Making gifs demonstrating why you should play each Tekken
Haha, please let it be so!

edit: Tekken 2 can be summed up with Phoenix Smash doing 80% on counter hit.

Moofers

Huge Tekken fan here. Have been since Tekken 1 and even have a Tekken tattoo to show for it.

Honestly, I had Tekken 6 for both systems, but only kept the PS3 version in the long run. It runs better (installed) and if you're a pad player, the d-pad is superior. I consider Tekken 6 the best one, but its a tight race. Here's my breakdown:

-Tekken 6
-Tekken 5 (better than DR because the soundtrack is superior, better intro movie, etc.)
-Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection
-Tekken 3
-Tekken 4
-Tekken Tag
-Tekken 2
-Tekken

Doesn't mean much though since like I said, I consider it a close race. I'd say if you didn't like Tekken 6, I don't know that Tekken is really for you.

LowParry

Tekken 6 requires time and investment. A lot of it. Tekken 3 and 5 were my favorites in the series but 6 is obviously the most up-to-date game with the most fluid gameplay. I suppose DR would be a good option if you didn't like 6. Although, I would still insist on retrying 6. If you are having problem doing combos, then just assign commands to the shoulder buttons through controller setup. You can also do "position reset" from practice mode which makes practicing a lot more convenient.

Especially if you're looking to get into TTT2 later on. Knowing how 6 works with characters is a must.

Sayah

Especially if you're looking to get into TTT2 later on. Knowing how 6 works with characters is a must.

Yep. A lot of skills learned from T6 are gonna carry over in TTT2. It takes time to get used to the gameplay but once you get inside the inner depth of the game, then it's hard to put the game down.

Also, best way to enjoy any Tekken game is to find someone to play with locally that is at your level.

For me it's Tekken Tag. I love Tekken 3's system the most and Tekken Tag is basically Tekken 3 but with updated graphics, an amazing tag mode. The fact that they never incorporated it back into the series till Tekken Tag 2 is such a disappointment for me

3 is the best. 5DR is damn good though.

I'd say if you didn't like Tekken 6, I don't know that Tekken is really for you.
Or maybe it's that Tekken 6 had the worst story mode by far and a fucking horrible final boss that made people wonder what the hell Namco was thinking (random shield? really??). Gameplay-wise, you're absolutely right. It's the rest of the package that didn't come together for me and why I dislike it overall.

kunonabi

Tekken tag and Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection are really the only good games in the series.

Tekken Tag 2 will most likely be the best in the series though.

Requeim

It's Tekken 5 (vanilla/ps2 version)

Tekken 3 and 4 are also awesome

Tekken Tag doesn't make the cut because i don't like tag games
Tekken 6 doesn't make it because of horrible added mechanics (comeback/combo extenders)
Tekken 5 DR doesn't make it because of a fucking terrible soundtrack

Throavium

Tekken 6 is a bit intimidating because of the juggle system, some people who watch other people play Tekken 6 back away from ever trying to learn the combat system because they think the juggling system is unbalanced.

CSX

wtf t5 > t5DR???

you guys are willing to deal with Steve the OP beast of T5 just for a superior soundtrack thats also included in DR??!

3 is the best. 5DR is damn good though.

Or maybe it's that Tekken 6 had the worst story mode by far and a fucking horrible final boss that made people wonder what the hell Namco was thinking (random shield? really??). Gameplay-wise, you're absolutely right. It's the rest of the package that didn't come together for me and why I dislike it overall.
That really doesn't make bad game, I mean you're judging a multiplayer game based on it's single player.

Requeim

Hating on DR's soundtrack and not 4's :O

Tekken 4's soundtrack is not that different. It's basically Yu Miyake, Satoru Kosaki and Akitaka Tohyama (the last two also composed the best tracks of Tekken 5)

Tekken 5 DR is just a bunch of lame remixes that sounds worse in every case

wtf t5 > t5DR???

you guys are willing to deal with Steve the OP beast of T5 just for a superior soundtrack thats also included in DR??!

When i play Tekken 5 with people, we basically just ban Steve. He's only allowed if both agree to pick him :p

CSX

Tekken 6 is a bit intimidating because of the juggle system, some people who watch other people play Tekken 6 back away from ever trying to learn the combat system because they think the juggling system is unbalanced.

nah its not. honestly combos from DR do the same damage. The difference is that in T6, you gotta do more moves to do that same amount of damage. The advantage is that this leaves a greater window for players to mess up during juggles.

Of course, the disadvantage is when you are playing against someone who doesnt mess up on juggles, the n the juggles take longer time to finish.

Tekken 4's soundtrack is not that different. It's basically Yu Miyake, Satoru Kosaki and Akitaka Tohyama (the last two also composed the best tracks of Tekken 5)

Tekken 5 DR is just a bunch of lame remixes that sounds worse in every case

When i play Tekken 5 with people, we basically just ban Steve. He's only allowed if both agree to pick him :p
Steve wasn't the only problem with T5.

Takken 5 : DR Online ... Online code is a real mess , but the rest of the game is pure golden.
there is a feelign a fake balance between the characters

Final boos is kinda a cheat ...

CSX

What is not?
the unbalanced juggle system.

I do agree that its more imtidating to learn it since theres bound and the overall increase of moves you have to land to do decent damage

This was happy days (5/DR). These are the days i miss

EWGF ; ff31 ; df12 ; HS

Now i gotta do this shit

EWGF, ff31 , ffN2 ; df1+2 ; ff31 ; ff EWGF

Throavium

I do agree that its more imtidating to learn it since theres bound and the overall increase of moves you have to land to do decent damage

EWGF ; ff31 ; df12 ; HS

Now i gotta do this shit

I know it isn't and I agree, what I was saying was that some people think it's unbalanced.

EWGF ; ff31 ; df12 ; HS

Now i gotta do this shit

I do like that you throw around the word "unbalanced" to mean something you don't like about the game. Others do this too.

As much as I love Tekken 5 DR, the netcode in it is still abysmal, Tekken 6 is so much better in that regard.

If you dont care about online then go with Tekken 5 DR.

CSX

I do like that you throw around the word "unbalanced" to mean something you don't like about the game. Others do this too.

im not saying it was unbalanced. Person asked me earlier for a clarification on what i was replying to him about. I misread and thought he was saying the juggle system was unbalanced.

in terms of balance, its fine. in terms of actually doing juggles...gets so long and boring

Top Bottom