• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best version of Final Fantasy 6?

Audette

I only have the PS1 version. Its not that good eh ?

Sold my SNES version and only one I had for years was PSX version. If you have never noticed the loading it's a fine enough version but once I got a SNES version again...once I saw it... the loading... I couldn't... go back...

That loading it's mildly irritating ... Well still it's not as bad as Chrono Trigger PS1 though.

Phii

Banned
About FFVI for Vita, how's the loading times when disc-load speed is adjusted to "fast"? Is there any difference at all /glitches?

It's not that the game per se is bad but you have these mini 5~10 second ish loadings for every little thing you do from opening menus to loading random battles.

It's like a chinese water torture, after a few hours the loadings will drive you fucking insane.

BasilZero

Play the GBA Version.

I played the SNES version over 5 times and the PSX version at least once.

I plan to play the GBA version since it has the most content.

I hope/plan to get FF6 iOS soon or unless it comes out on Steam :).

Chinbo37

Not sure if it is just nostalgia glasses but I beat FFV on the PS1.

I dont remember it being terrible in terms of load times. I guess it was but when you dont have anything to compare it to it was fine. I like that early 2000s FMV lol.

Not sure if it is just nostalgia glasses but I beat FFV on the PS1.

I dont remember it being terrible in terms of load times. I guess it was but when you dont have anything to compare it to it was fine. I like that early 2000s FMV lol.
FFIV and V had way less loading issues.

Feichaw

SNES. Music plays a huge role in every Final Fantasy, and you'll want to experience it in the best way possible.

JNT

The portability of the GBA version makes up for the slightly downgraded music. FF6 on a GB Micro is bliss.

Audette

I guess I'm just biased when it comes to the GBA version I consider it a subpar version. Gotta be iOS or super NES/famicom and that's the only choices if your looking to play this game right now. And of course have access to any version.

FFIV and FFV got nice upgrades going to the Advance versions and FFVI looked to benefit from these same treatments. It had the potential at the time to be the best version, with what was going to be improved visuals, added features and redone script.

Release day came... The ruined sound font. The untouched, dated SNES visuals with no improvement to color count or redrawn backgrounds... To me It made the new translation and new features sting a bit. There were these new features sitting in this mediocre port. A gold lining on a shiny new brown turd.

I had to wait for 7 more years to get any kind of retouch to happen and now people look at it and say that it's not worth trying?

Where is that farnsworth picture...

Avoid IOS

Its a visual nightmare

Play SNES with some mods PLEASE. (I only push the mods because there were so many bugs in the original game that when fixed it makes it 100% better than before)

GBA version is awesome but the sound is definitely bad which hurts one of the best soundtracks in a JPRG ever.

Magnus

I guess I'm just biased when it comes to the GBA version I consider it a subpar version. Gotta be iOS or super NES/famicom and that's the only choices if your looking to play this game right now. And of course have access to any version.

FFIV and FFV got nice upgrades going to the Advance versions and FFVI looked to benefit from these same treatments. It had the potential at the time to be the best version, with what was going to be improved visuals, added features and redone script.

Release day came... The ruined sound font. The untouched, dated SNES visuals with no improvement to color count or redrawn backgrounds... To me It made the new translation and new features sting a bit. There were these new features sitting in this mediocre port. A gold lining on a shiny new brown turd.

I had to wait for 7 more years to get any kind of retouch to happen and now people look at it and say that it's not worth trying?

Where is that farnsworth picture...

Totally with you man.

The iOS version trounces the awful GBA version handily. You get over the sprite redesign really fast (I even grew to like the new look after awhile - and again, I say it as a 20 year player of this game), and the music is untouched and glorious. All the extra content is in and then some, plus it's with you wherever you go on a shiny retina-quality or better screen to boot. And finally, combat's been rejigged a bit so that you can look at multiple party members' commands at once. It actually makes Cyan useable! Can't be beat.

The only downsides are the touch controls (which again you get used to fast) and the lack of an option to switch to old sprites.

It sucks, but I'd rather have the music intact and beautiful if I had to choose between that or the sprites.

Corgi

Banned
IOS android are the only versions where you can switch to other characters when charging.

Aka the only version where cyan isn't shit.

So in terms of gameplay, it's the best version.

Graphics are kind of eh though.

SNES version. The GBA version is pretty good, but the music isn't as good, and while there are some extras they're not all that great. Haven't played it, but the ios version is probably fine if you can get used to touch controls.

The PSX version sucks.

Audette

Totally with you man.

The iOS version trounces the awful GBA version handily. You get over the sprite redesign really fast (I even grew to like the new look after awhile - and again, I say it as a 20 year player of this game), and the music is untouched and glorious. All the extra content is in and then some, plus it's with you wherever you go on a shiny retina-quality or better screen to boot. And finally, combat's been rejigged a bit so that you can look at multiple party members' commands at once. It actually makes Cyan useable! Can't be beat.

The only downsides are the touch controls (which again you get used to fast) and the lack of an option to switch to old sprites.

It sucks, but I'd rather have the music intact and beautiful if I had to choose between that or the sprites.

I'm not sure about android but ios supports the Bluetooth controllers and off screen play which means with the right set up you can use your phone/tablet as a console and play on a hdtv. Also they recently retooled the touch controls too, if people hadn't played it in the last 2 months. (In and out of battle)

The only thing more I could ask for is if they tossed this game back to the bravely default guys and let them take another stab at remaking a classic FF.

Really though, that would be a coin toss if it would turn out any good.

SNES is the original and most smooth experience with classic hammy translations and all.
Playing the SNES version (atleast legit) is the hardest obstacle, game costs a fortune and you need to have a SNES hooked up.

GBA version is the second most expensive but a decent version. Especially if you haven't heard the original music to compare the tracks to. Good version still. Great portable possibility with a GBA SP or DSlite.

PSX(PS3&Vita) version is probably the cheapest option, usually 5-10$ on PSN and Vita version also benefits from being portable (suspend game for the win) Slow loading makes it harder to love but again, if you have no comparison, it's fine.

Mobile version is also quite expensive at 15$, but it has a proper new interface to fit the touchscreen even though as a negative the graphics have been filtered to "look" smooth instead of being properly redrawn like FF4 Complete Edition on the PSP(Vita). Should be fine too if you want to have a good long game available on your phone at all times.

I'm personally in the camp that feels like the original Snes/Super Famicom release is the best way to go, even if you grab it on VC. I feel like the new translation on GBA really took a ton of the bite and edginess out of the game. For example, the first time you meet a certain character, the original translation states that he'd "slice his own momma's throat for a nickel", whereas the GBA version says something along the lines of, "he'd kill anyone for the right price". This is just one example of many.

Prototype

Avoid IOS

Its a visual nightmare

Play SNES with some mods PLEASE. (I only push the mods because there were so many bugs in the original game that when fixed it makes it 100% better than before)

GBA version is awesome but the sound is definitely bad which hurts one of the best soundtracks in a JPRG ever.
What exactly about it is a "visual nightmare"? The characters look exactly how the artist intended them to look now. Everything is more clear, and the monsters have details you can make out. It's literally the same game but in HD.

Imo, mobile FF 6 is not only the best looking version, it's also the most complete package.

What exactly a out it is a "visual nightmare"? The characters look exactly how the artist intended them to look now. Everything is more clear, and the monsters have details you can make out. It's literally the same game but in HD.

Its an watercolored, copy pasted, incohesive mess.

But hey if it doesn't bother you then whatever

HeelPower

I played about 12(?) hours of the PS1 version.

I didn't find anything so bad about it technically,FF9 was much worse in this regard.

But I got bored with the game itself and didn't continue yet..lol

I didn't find anything so bad about it technically,FF9 was much worse in this regard.

The biggest problems were, loading time when loading a fight, loading time when loading the menus.

cafemomo

FF6 on a GB Micro is bliss.

hell yeah
DR5wh1W.jpg

OP get a Mico + FFVI

literally the perfect combo of all time

If you play the GBA version, do the sound restoration patch. It's not perfect, and it's limited to monaural, but it still sounds much closer to the original SNES soundtrack than the mess it shipped with.

I'm personally in the camp that feels like the original Snes/Super Famicom release is the best way to go, even if you grab it on VC. I feel like the new translation on GBA really took a ton of the bite and edginess out of the game. For example, the first time you meet a certain character, the original translation states that he'd "slice his own momma's throat for a nickel", whereas the GBA version says something along the lines of, "he'd kill anyone for the right price". This is just one example of many.

Yeah I'm in the same camp. Even before the GBA version came out, I tried a fan translation patch and it was pretty unbearable.

SNES is the way to go. The extra content on the GBA isn't really all that great, and the new translation is just so dry. Plus the technical issues.

PS1 version is passable but those load times....

Throw the mobile version in the garbage.

Prototype

Its an watercolored, copy pasted, incohesive mess.

But hey if it doesn't bother you then whatever

It's fine that you don't like it, but what you said doesn't actually describe anything. It's just a string of words but don't convey any information.

I see this a lot with mobile remakes. People either straight up don't like it because it's on mobile and therefore mobile=crap (as a junior so kindly points out on page 1) or people don't like because it's not the exact same as the original.

But neither of those things makes it look bad inherently. The game looks objectively great. The new battle scenes look beautiful, the monsters look gorgeous and do the artists who drew them some justice. I could actually see details on magi master and others where before it was a pixilated mess. The characters themselves represent almost perfectly the models the artist wanted to use. They display the "emotions" as the old sprites, but it looks are better now as everything is much clearer.

I could on on, but the point is, the game looks fare better, plays far better, and has more content. Saying it's an incoherent mess is a huge overstatement. Have you even played the game?

FF6 is one of the buggiest games in the series though you wouldn't know it off the bat

Check out the list

http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=477#p4743

Fan Mods have been squashing the big ones for awhile now

I would highly recommend trying them after beating Vanilla. ITs amazing how much mechanical depth got buried under the bugs

FF6 is a surprisingly robust strategic RPG in many ways

The best mod I have played showcasing this is Brave New World
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/index.php/index.html/_/news/brave-new-world-150-released-r123

Check it out!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
SNES or GBA.

Personally I'd say GBA because it has the most content, most/all the bugs fixed and a new translation. The music takes a hit though, because GBA.

SNES because of all the hilarious ways you can break the game which Square removed in later iterations.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I was able to play through it just fine.

But yes whenever you enter or exit a battle it can take like 4-5 seconds. Same with opening up the menu. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up.

Jarnet87

Sold my SNES version and only one I had for years was PSX version. If you have never noticed the loading it's a fine enough version but once I got a SNES version again...once I saw it... the loading... I couldn't... go back...

That loading it's mildly irritating ... Well still it's not as bad as Chrono Trigger PS1 though.

yeah the loading isnt bad if you've never played the game before on the original console, but if you have holy hell it gets annoying. the loading time isnt even that bad time wise it's just being use to instant transitions and you use the menus or go into a battle all the time.

Go with the playstation version if you have no other way of playing it.

It's fine that you don't like it, but what you said doesn't actually describe anything. It's just a string of words butter don't convey any information.

I see this a lot with mobile remakes. People either straight up don't like it because it's on mobile and therefore mobile=crap (as a junior so kindly points out on page 1) or people don't like because it's not the exact same as the original.

But neither of those things makes it look bad inherently. The game looks objectively great. The new battle scenes look beautiful, the monsters look gorgeous and do the artists who drew them some justice. I could actually see details on magi master and others where before it was a pixilated mess. The characters themselves represent almost perfectly the models the artist wanted to use. They display the "emotions" as the old sprites, but it looks are better now as everything is much clearer.

I could on on, but the point is, the game looks fare better, plays far better, and has more content. Saying it's an incoherent mess is a huge overstatement. Have you even played the game?

The Characters, interface, environment, and enemies look like they were built separately and then thrown together.

Then they turned the towns in 3D models that look dragged and dropped on top of the 2D map. The game was brightened up and looks like a damn cartoon.

You mind as well remade the game in RPG maker with fan artists from all over each contributing. Cuz thats what it looks like.

Thats my only beef really. I am sure it plays just like the original otherwise

I don't mind it that much anymore and I have played every version but iOS. One of the main reasons is because it looks really nice on my HDTV compared to the Wii VC release. The visuals pop quite a bit on Vita and PS3 IMO. But the load times definitely add up. Can't say I would want to unlock the Paladin Shield on the PS1 version.

Don't let anyone tell you it's unplayable though. FF VI is totally worth playing through even on PS1.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is there a legal way to play the GBA version if you don't have a GBA anymore?

My favorite game, but I've only played the SNES version and it's been, ya know, a hundred years. I had no idea there were 'changes' for the GBA version... there's actual new story content?

Prototype

Is there a legal way to play the GBA version if you don't have a GBA anymore?

My favorite game, but I've only played the SNES version and it's been, ya know, a hundred years. I had no idea there were 'changes' for the GBA version... there's actual new story content?
New espers, 2 new dungeons, and an updated translation.

The Characters, interface, environment, and enemies look like they were built separately and then thrown together.

Then they turned the towns in 3D models that look dragged and dropped on top of the 2D map. The game was brightened up and looks like a damn cartoon.

You mind as well remade the game in RPG maker with fan artists from all over each contributing. Cuz thats what it looks like.

Thats my only beef really. I am sure it plays just like the original otherwise
The 3d models for the towns don't look great but they are a nice touch imo. It's not like the flat sprites they used before were anything to write home about. I don't think it looks like it was made in rpg maker. I guess it's just different strokes for different folks.

What exactly about it is a "visual nightmare"? The characters look exactly how the artist intended them to look now. Everything is more clear, and the monsters have details you can make out. It's literally the same game but in HD.

Imo, mobile FF 6 is not only the best looking version, it's also the most complete package.

original.jpg

Portrait looks great.
Map looks mediocre.
Sprites look horrible.
Yeah, visual nightmare is an appropriate here. You can't just take low-res pixel art and "smooth" it and expect it to look good.

FF4 Complete Collection did it right

FFIVCC_FFIV_Sisters.png

I think of the alternate universe where V and VI received that treatment and get very sad. Those games look incredible on PS TV taking up the entire screen on my 50". I highly doubt either of those FF V and VI ios releases would fare so well blown up.

Rinoa

SNES with an old TV (not HD ones) but a good surround sound system. That's how I played it growing up and it was golden. The way the sprites looked on those older tvs is better. While it's nice to see on HD, the sprites look too sharp.

Prototype

FF4 Complete Collection did it right

screenshot_psp_final_fantasy_iv_the_complete_collection004.jpg
See I think this looks hideous.

They actually changed the sprites themselves. Looks so ugly.

With FF 6, they kept the sprite proportions and gave it an upgrade. Looks much better this way.

Those ff4 sprites you posted look like mutants. Barely human.

original.jpg

Portrait looks great.
Map looks mediocre.
Sprites look horrible.
Yeah, visual nightmare is an appropriate here. You can't just take low-res pixel art and "smooth" it and expect it to look good.

Compare the sprites in the FF 6 image you posted to those above of FF 4.

The ones in 6 look far closer to what the original sprites looked like, but are just less pixilated. The FF 4 image tho... That's disgusting. They look nothing like the original sprites. That art style is a travesty. They look like the have no necks and are. Made. Of spheres.

It's fine that you don't like it, but what you said doesn't actually describe anything. It's just a string of words but don't convey any information.

KfYG569.png

0bFYKoV.jpg

FF6 is one of the buggiest games in the series though you wouldn't know it off the bat

Check out the list

http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=477#p4743

Fan Mods have been squashing the big ones for awhile now

I would highly recommend trying them after beating Vanilla. ITs amazing how much mechanical depth got buried under the bugs

FF6 is a surprisingly robust strategic RPG in many ways

The best mod I have played showcasing this is Brave New World
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/index.php/index.html/_/news/brave-new-world-150-released-r123

Check it out!

Isn't there a bug where a stat doesn't get calculated into damage making the entire stat pointless? I can't remember if that's FF6.

I am actually curious about the OP question as well, with all the talk of Final Fantasy on GAF recently and all these FF games waiting for me to play for the first time. One thing to add, though, is that apparently the Android version of FF6 doesn't work on Lollipop. The store page notes FF6 won't run when ART (Android Runtime) is the runtime environment on Android 4.4, and 5.0 makes ART the default and only runtime environment, so the game is a no-go until Square patches the game (assuming that's even possible, let along whether Square cares enough to do it).

SNES

GBA's music is just awful, and even with patches doesn't get even close. It has INFERIOR sound hardware, period.

And when FF 6 OST is regarded as one of the best (if not the best) game OST ever, then you have a problem.

I remember humming to the music of this fantastic game when I was a kid, its quality certainly gave me an impression, and should be appreciated even with its MIDI limitations.

Top Bottom