• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way to play Final Fantasy 4 again?

There's a lot of options on this one:

SNES original
SNES fan translations/mods
GBA with fan patches
Steam
DS
PSP/Vita Complete Collection

which one version is the best?

Darkangel

DS/PC has the best gameplay.
ffiv.png

GBA with patches arguably has the best graphics if you don't like the 3D.
26-ff4-34-100.png

The PSP version's graphics are kind of controversial. If you like the look of it then you can play it in place of the GBA version. You also get the shitty expanded universe games built in.

FF4PSP_Blizzara.png

Berordn

For the original game, PSP is probably your best bet. Most content of all the versions based on the SNES original, an extra interquel scenario and After Years, the "sequel." DS/Mobile/PC is almost a completely different game with completely new mechanics and story sequences, and while I prefer the DS version, they're all about the same. They're both worth playing, but not a fair comparison to each other.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just play the DS version.

Other versions are way too easy despite the nice pixel art.

I would say go original and play PSP collection.

DS is great, but I prefer the 2D designs, also expect a higher difficulty on the DS version.

Tygamr

I like the look of the PSP version best, but the DS version is more challenging. I don't care for the voice acting in the DS version though...

jb1234

The DS version is the best and certainly the most challenging. The PSP version is pretty but it's just too easy. You don't need strategy at all.

GBA version is missing quite a few SNES graphical effects. The final boss immediately comes to mind as looking much worse on GBA.

It really does depend on what you're looking for. I'm partial to the SNES version myself, the DS version has the most challenging/interesting gameplay, though I'm not particularly fond of some of its systems. I kind of like the PSP version's visuals, though many don't.

The DS version looks like ass IMO (not opposed to the chibi art style, it's just jagged as hell), but the increased difficulty was certainly welcome.

My personal favorite is the GBA version for the improved translation and nice pixel art.

Javaman

I hate the whole new dynamic where you have to give leaving party members certain items or whatever to get better spells. Decisions that carry over multiple play throughs.Yet another design to push people to guides I guess.

Dezzy

I played the PSP version on the PSTV and enjoyed more than any other version. It's pretty true to the originals style, but a bit nicer looking and sounding.

I adore the DS version. Those aliased and blocky polygons have a ton of charm in their design and the actual game is probably the best and most enjoyable version.

The only failing is that the GBA version has the post game content, of which Kain really has my favorite stuff, and that is absent from the DS version.

Also the DS version has a fun new game plus system that makes repeated playthroughs fun and breezy.

Daouzin

PSP version.

The DS version, while fun and challenging, doesn't really feel like the spirit of FFIV to me.

Can I play the PSP Version on Vita or just PSTV? Or is anything possible on PSTV also possible on VITA?

That PSP screenshot has me interested. FFIV is easily one of my favorite FF games.

Spacejaws

You said again.

From that I take it you've played some variation of the 2D pixel art version in which case play the DS o Steam version to spice it up.

Otherwise play the SNES and be merry.

I just played through FFIV for the first time and I chose the PSP version. I'm pretty satisfied with my choice. I liked the sprite art, especially the monsters in battle.

Zophar

PSP version is the best. The difficulty issue is due to an enemy stat glitch in early areas. It corrects itself after Mt. Ordeals.

Awakened

The SNES version with the Namingway Edition patch seems like a good option. It uses the Project II script rewrite as a base, which is supposed to be close to the original translation, but with fixes from all the translations that followed. On top of that it adds back in the Japanese difficulty, a "Hold B to Dash" feature and modern FF series naming for items and spells.

Can I play the PSP Version on Vita or just PSTV? Or is anything possible on PSTV also possible on VITA?

That PSP screenshot has me interested. FFIV is easily one of my favorite FF games.
It is Vita compatible according to its PSN listing. I'm not sure about PSTV, but I imagine it should be fine.

PC version is really bad. Sluggish controls, terrible battle framerate, menus designed for touch screen, the ugliest font I've ever seen (has random pixels near letters). Might actually try to take advantage of Steam refunds and see if I can get my money back on it (bought it a few months ago but gave up after 30 minutes).

Falk

that puzzling face
zs94gXl.jpg

15FPS combat? Doesn't bug me too much considering FFVII wasn't all that much better. UI is ugly as sin though.

It really felt great playing it on the DS. The improvements are required nowadays. I can't speak for the PSP version.

Plus it's completely redone in 3D. Does PSP have NG+?

Bio

The SNES version with the Namingway Edition patch seems like a good option. It uses the Project II script rewrite as a base, which is supposed to be close to the original translation, but with fixes from all the translations that followed. On top of that it adds back in the Japanese difficulty, a "Hold B to Dash" feature and modern FF series naming for items and spells.

I'd go with this, personally.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I beat FFIV for the first time like 2 months ago and I went with the PSP version on the Vita.
It was amazing. Felt so much better than the DS version which I played for a while before.

Mcdohl

DS/PC has the best gameplay.

26-ff4-34-100.png

The PSP version's graphics are kind of controversial. If you like the look of it then you can play it in place of the GBA version. You also get the shitty expanded universe games built in.

FF4PSP_Blizzara.png

GBA best graphics? The color palette is kinda off, too bright...And either it's a bad screenshot or that behemoth looks weird.
Also GBA ruins the music which is essential to a true Final Fantasy experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzSEVexAL20

I personally don't like the look of the 3d ones (dislike FF3 because of that). If you don't mind it then go for PC one.

If you prefer 2D go for the PSP/SNES version.

Top Bottom