• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda CEO on Starfield an Bugs: " We embrace Chaos"

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
For a game they make, where every item is tracked any many other systems are in place that's impossible. Stop pretending to be smarter than everyone else. What Hines said is true. They could make a linear game where you're restricted and without bugs. No thanks, there are plenty of such games Already.
Oh, so you mean to say that having bugs in their game is intentional and a ...

CREATIVE DECISION?!

shocked star plus GIF by Hotstar

From what I read in reviews, and heard from Karak at ACG this is their least buggy game so what are you talking about?
It is literally not a legally binding or even measurable metric to say something is "least buggy".

I am not saying it is lying, I am saying the description litterally said NOTHING and can't even be proven. "Least buggy" is not a term that could be used that is truly objective, and they know it. They said it knowing they don't have to provide any evidence of what they said.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It is literally not a legally binding or even measurable metric to say something is "least buggy".

I am not saying it is lying, I am saying the description litterally said NOTHING and can't even be proven. "Least buggy" is not a term that could be used that is truly objective, and they know it. They said it knowing they don't have to provide any evidence of what they said.
Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

MadPanda

Banned
Oh, so you mean to say that having bugs in their game is intentional and a ...

CREATIVE DECISION?!

shocked star plus GIF by Hotstar
It's not a creative decision to have software bugs, it's just inherent to their engine and everything it does. You can have a game with strong player agency and endless possibilities for players to do silly things and things to break or you can have a very restricting game and seemingly no bugs at all.

Nothing reviewers say is legally binding. It's up to us to believe them or not. I believe Karak. That's it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That man can't stfu... I don't think he has fans covering him so much to make his statements funny, they just look dumb, he's literally making fun of their products being inferior.

Someone borrow him a copy of Zelda totk.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The 3 crashes I’ve had aren’t fun bugs. So suck a dick.

The robot floating mid fight obstructing my line of sight can also suck a dick.

The NPC who I was supposed to follow only for them to stand there doing nothing ? Yeah it can suck my dick.

If all your bugs were tee hee UwU giggle one’s sure, but I’m a few hours in and got frustrating ones forcing me to save every 5 minutes cuz it could crash any moment.

Krathoon

It has always been this way in software development. Programmers get away with a lot of shit.

Sure, programming is hard, but the system allows them to screw up a lot.

Cyberpunkd

Execs now exactly what language to use to absolve them of any legal responsibility, so whatever people believed it is on them. Of course they will hype their product, there is no downside.

Neff

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard a prominent mouthpiece for a gaming mega-publisher say. Except Jim Ryan.

MMaRsu

Banned
But id rather stand right in front of the npc at the specific spot the game intended me to and get railroaded into missions where I have no player agency! Why cant this game do everything perfectly?

Last edited:

Krathoon

There is this mentality with development where it is like, "Oh well. It is just a video game.".

So, they don't really try their best to get it right.

If the software actually risked people's lives, it would be different.

Majukun

as long as they are not game/progression breaking, bugs are part of the charm for day one bethesda games.

not an excuse for those, but there was no chance in hell this game would have come out bug free

KXVXII9X

Must be something in the digital water around here, yeesh. Never seen so much hate from people who aren’t even planning to buy the game.
People are allowed to have opinions. It is kind of expected in the first couple days of launch. What I hate is that all opinions get mixed in with the extreme positive and negative opinions, which get treated the same. My opinion definitely shifted more negative from seeing the release footage of the game. I don't have any benefit from hating this game. I was actually excited for it. No, my opinions aren't ONLY formed from other people. I also did not go into Starfield expecting it to be seamless like No Man's Sky because I knew that would be impossible due to both games having different design goals. Presentation wise, it looks very dated and not really immersive at all. Not everyone cares about that, but I do. The game seemed to double down on the few concerns I had.

ClosBSAS

lol game is great, very well optimized. i can run it at solid fixed 30fps on my laptop.
on my rig 120fps 4k easily.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Bugs that completely break major questlines (yes, that's still a thing that happens in Starfield) does affect the experience, I'd argue.

BlackTron

Bugs that completely break major questlines (yes, that's still a thing that happens in Starfield) does affect the experience, I'd argue.

This is the game with an extra year of polish and MS money, and lessons learned from 2077?

Why is MS's corner of gaming in such a rut

RaySoft

"We embrace chaos. We could make a safer, less buggy, less risky game if we wanted to. But what we try to lean into is player freedom. Yes, there's going to be some little things here and there where your companion might stand a little too close to you sometimes, yet the freedom you get, and the things that happen because of that, we absolutely love and embrace.

Of course there are bugs. But does it take away from your experience? Or do you have a consistent, fun game that you just can't stop playing and experimenting with?

There's litteraly a gamebreaking bug that keeps you from progressing further (it's late endgame stuff, but still)
Vision has nothing to do with bugs. Bugs will always be there, but alloc time to fix them, instead of spinning it into a feature.

Last edited:

Dutchy

weird cause ozriel told me it was almost bug-free

certainly this upper level worker at BGS can't know it better than him.

Dutchy

Must be something in the digital water around here, yeesh. Never seen so much hate from people who aren’t even planning to buy the game.
don't be a pussy. you can still play and enjoy the game regardless of what other people say and think. no need to make up any false narratives. i'm buying/going to enjoy the game but i've got a set of very healthy eyes and i'm not afraid to be critical of billion dollar company.

don't be a pussy. you can still play and enjoy the game regardless of what other people say and think. no need to make up any false narratives. i'm buying/going to enjoy the game but i've got a set of very healthy eyes and i'm not afraid to be critical of billion dollar company.
If you’ve ever seen me post around here, you’d know I’m never one to be shy to criticize when I feel it’s warranted. And just 🙄 at everything else you’ve said.

Aaand maybe have your mom or your nanny wash your mouth out with soap while you’re at it.

Last edited:
How do you like your quest NPCs floating into the ceiling?
Counterpoint: Have you ever played a BGS game before? The always-running simulation design of the game causes funny bugs to happen, but many of them do get ironed out. With games like this, just comes with the territory. I’d rather that large scale RPG where anything can happen like this continue to be made rather than scaling down because “omg there might be bugs! They must be stopped!” 🙄

Skyrim too had lots and lots of bugs…But 60 million copies later…. 🤔. We’re all still here, and gaming is better for having Skyrim and Fallout 4s exist. Warts and all!

Last edited:
Top Bottom