• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda CEO on Starfield an Bugs: " We embrace Chaos"

Pop

Clown Clowning Around GIF by Sarah Squirm

hussar16

It depends on the nature of the bug. Benign bugs like some characters clipping through objects or facial features disappearing during conversations are no big deal usually. But more problematic bugs such as those that break quests and make them not completable harm the experience of the game.
Let's be honest huge bugs aren't a problem even in Bethesda games.ive only saw small quest bugs and even then I don't think it hurts my playtime as I can just load a save file and never see it again

LimanimaPT

After more then 100 hours into skyrim, I run into a bug that breaked the main quest stopping me from continuing the game. I contacted the support but they did nothing to help.
This companies should be held responsible for this kind of bugs and should solve the problem or give the money back.
I've paid for a product that is flawed afterall.

SolarFry

Yep, I've played for a few hours and the NPCs are atrocious looking. Constant little bugs like characters speaking to you with their backs towards you and heads turned weirdly. Unispired art style. Everything has this...lazy look. Like the first thing they thought about something and - "done". "Good enough, next".

The worst thing about it is the writing though. So far - it's worse than Fallout 4. Atrocious dialogue. Not only cringy, but extremely boring and soulless. ChatGPT would've done it better.

It's a Bethesda game alright. Starting to really bore and irritate me. Will try and soldier on, maybe it gets better.

Wow are you honestly comparing something you ingest into your body to a *videogame*.
Actually I'm comparing the lack of accountability of the devs to a chef. What does it matter if it's something you ingest? It's something that is being created. 'This steak is too salty. Yeah there are lots of spices and seasoning. We embrace chaos.' No. Sorry about that We'll make sure we take care of that for you. Basically I'm just saying the response is a bit unprofessional to the consumer that purchased and had expectations for a product.

clem84

Gold Member

Basically, "We want to live up to our vision. We don't compromise on any of our goals during development. We want the game to be as big and as versatile, and we want the player to have as much freedom as possible. Naturally, this will be more difficult to pull off so the game will understandably be buggier as a result."

There is an argument to be had there, but it kind of falls apart when you consider they could've developed the game for 3, or 6 more months to get rid of all bugs.

FireFly

Basically, "We want to live up to our vision. We don't compromise on any of our goals during development. We want the game to be as big and as versatile, and we want the player to have as much freedom as possible. Naturally, this will be more difficult to pull off so the game will understandably be buggier as a result."

There is an argument to be had there, but it kind of falls apart when you consider they could've developed the game for 3, or 6 more months to get rid of all bugs.
QA teams won't be able to catch every combination of factors that lead to bugs. Even Baldur's Gate 3 had bugs in Act 1, despite being in Early Access for 3 years.

The game was already delayed a year from the originally announced release date to work on bugs. They even had Microsoft come and help them with bug squashing for a year.

This is the least buggy the game could ever be and still be released. Amazing that they had a year to work on bugs and couldn't figure out how to make the Creation Engine output darkness as black instead of grey.

MarkMe2525

If you think about the status and money that was put into this game, it's not acceptable to ship it in some of the state its in.

AAA games are held to a higher standard so with some of the issues and lack of polish in certain reguards, it shows that Bethesda isn't some tentpole or in the status they were during their peak years.

They will work on this and fix but it shouldn't take the community to patch it up.

Dark Souls PC comes to mind when Durante fixed that. Not excusable then even if a "smaller" Japanese studio and less now.
It's curious how people can have such different perceptions of any given topic. What specifically are you referring to? It's a feature complete game with a ton of content. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is not a technical mess by any stretch.

Edit: I just realized who I was responding to. This has nothing to do with our exchange earlier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom