• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda leaked information, its not looking good guys.

I don't know if this is true or not but a lot of true leaks happened on 4chan before so take this information with a grain of salt.

dQwFD7s.jpg

So, you can all take the confirmation from the other day that Blades is delayed. I told you but you thought it was coming out with TGA.

Here's a review: it's a shi tshow right now. Starfield has been STUCK in a set of a half dozen NOWHERE development loops for almost 2-3 years. Entire studios are devoted to fixing these, but Maryland NEVER accepts the solution and they are always starting over. Space combat does not work in this engine. One studio made it work in a new engine, it was pretty awesome - but Maryland threw a fucking fit. Do we make a new level creation tool set, or do we pigeonhole a broken space combat feature into the old kit. Literally one year going back and forth on that and as of today we are NOWHERE. A half dozen more things like that.

Because shit is stuck, the story has been rewritten TWICE, and a whole game's worth of levels and bosses has been made and scrapped. People are seriously asking who is in charge.

Blades is about the only thing that's making progress. And it's shit. It's not fun. Here's what it is: it kind of works - that is, it seems to mostly function. But my god after the 2 minutes of novelty, tap and swipe swordplay - oh god it's dull. VR fake, shallow TES is also fun for about 5 minutes. Still, soo many bugs, especially cross-platform (main reason for delay).

Fallout 76 is killing us, it's causing panic and all these projects are unraveling.

Here's the rub, though: the main problem is our CEO - a huge jackass who have never touched a videogame and is the worst sort of cash grabby EA type of person you could imagine. He has threatened physical violence on management and devs to get loot boxes etc into games.

No shit, look this up: he's formerly a banking con man who got a slap on the wrist BECAUSE HIS CRIMES WERE DEEP IN GOVERNMENT CORRUPTION. Something about the drug trade and terrorism. No, I don't have inside knowledge on that - google BCCI.

So what do you guys think?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hard to say if any of this is real since it doesn't actually reveal anything that we can ever verify.

The real story is just that Bethesda has never been a great development studio. This is the real history of Bethesda. They were one of the first to get to this new and popular model of open world games. Being first, people overlooked a lot of problems they've had as a studio since the very beginning. Their gameplay has never been great. Their animations have never been good. Their graphics are hit and miss but have never been industry leading. Their boss fights are non-existent. Their stories have never been great either, they just coasted on the novelty of being very big games mostly.

Fast forward about 10 years and the entire industry has more than caught up. Everyone can now make giant open world games that dwarf anything seen in Skyrim. Xenoblade X on Wii U was 4x the size of Fallout 4, and had no loading, and fast vehicular driving / flying. Final Fantasy is huge open world. Even action games are open world now, like Batman, Metal Gear V, Spider Man. And these games have top tier gameplay, top tier animations, top tier graphics. All those studios that have been good at gameplay this entire time now also can do open world. What can Bethesda do? Nothing.

On top of this, all those studios had to make new, modern engines to catch up and join the open world trend. Bethesda meanwhile coasted on their old shit this whole time. Not only have they coasted on an old engine, they have essentially just made the same game for 20 years. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4. They are all almost the exact same game. It's all been copy and pasted with very little innovation or change, just mostly deleting their complex stuff to streamline and dumb it down.

So here we are in 2018 and people are finally starting to notice that they never were very good. The competition has lapped them about 4x. Even FPS devs are now making gorgeous open world games now, like Horizon.

Zewp

Without verification, it's just speculation.

As much as I hate Bethesda right now, there's a 95% chance it's just made up BS.

Duallusion

I mean... it sounds plausible. We'll probably find out soon enough if any of it is true.

EDIT: Thread title needs changing ASAP.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I take any posting from 4chan with a huge grain of salt.

Then again Bethesda did scam gamers with its broken game and now the duffle bag debacle.

Virex

Banned
Their last good game was Morrowind. Bethesda has never actually been a good developer

Edit : Spelling mistake

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Nothing in there sounds implausible. The directions some of our favourite devs are taking are ridiculous enough to make me believe stuff like this.

They're last good game was Morrowind. Bethesda has never actually been a good developer

Fallout 3 is pretty good too (at least the first time you play it), although Morrowind is definitely their best. I wouldn't touch Skyrim without mods.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Would not surprise me if true tbh. There is no way in hell Bethesda intended the gap between Fallout IV (which was cross gen) and their next big RPG to be this big. There is definitely something fishy going on with Starfield.

Last edited:

El_Belmondo

You know, it's cool to hate Bethesda now due to Fallout 76, so this sound like the fantasy of an entitled gamer, if anything.

Zewp

snip to preserve screenspace

To be fair, everything up until Morrowind was pretty good. Morrowind might not have had great combat, but it deserves its place on top 10/20 lists. Morrowind had a lot of the hallmarks of a great RPG.

I agree with you on the rest, though. It's from Oblivion onwards where things went up shitcreek. They realised there's a lot more money to be made by casualising their games and releasing half-baked shit that modders would come in and fix up later. Oblivion was still sort of on the right path, with a lot of flaws, but Skyrim was outright casual trash that was nothing more than a Viking power fantasy.

I also strongly believe that Skyrim was a ridiculously rushed project that we just never found out about. A lot of features felt half-baked or incomplete, as did much of the content. I don't for a second believe it's normal that the same Bethesda who wrote those ridiculously long and intricate Guild questlines in Oblivion, wrote the "5 missions and BAM you're guildmaster even though it makes no sense to promote you" trash that appeared in Skyrim.

Everything in Skyrim just shouts that they didn't have enough time to make an actually good game. The lack of reactivity to player actions, the lack of good quests, the complete lack of attention to detail, etc.

Whitecrow

Banned
Somehow I could believe that.

I mean, it sounds so unbeliavable that a fake would have been made an effort to sound more beliavable...

Hudo

Oh, got this reposted on 4chan? Someone posted the same thing at the beginning of this week. Not sure whether it's real or not, though.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I would't be surprised if all of this was true.

P.S. Morrowind is hands down their best game ever made and forever will be. And at this point they should just stick to publishing games and nothing else.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

To be fair, everything up until Morrowind was pretty good.
Daggerfall was so bug ridden it was quite shocking. Also the world may have been ridiculously huge for the time (well, even today) but it was literally nothing with randomly generated terrain and dungeons, so the content wasn't really that impressive either. All in all I didn't enjoy it then and I probably wouldn't enjoy it now.

Last edited:

Kreydo

About Starfield it sound very plausible and match the rumors i heard last year...

Don't know about The CEO story... But it wouldn't surprise me.

Dunki

I can totally see this engine not working for such a kind of game. Honestly I would have been surprised. At this point Bethesda needs to scrap everything and build a new engine first. This is just unacceptable and I will not buy another game with this engine. Just use the Engine of Str Citizen XD

Last edited:

Nelsin

Banned
Idk if this true or not ,but seeing FO76 and the FO76 collector edition bail out makes me think there is actually something isn't right going on.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Obviously never take these things seriously, but absolutely none of that is unbelievable in the slightest.

Virex

Banned
Todd should leave and form his own studio.
He doesn't own the Skyrim IP. So if he creates his own studio he'd have to actually make a game again and he can't make Skyrim Remastered-Remaster or Skyrim : Game of The Millennium Edition.

EDMIX

"Fallout 76 is killing us, it's causing panic and all these projects are unraveling"

??

This sounds so fake. They have multiple teams, they don't just have 1 team that does all the games at once as its sounding like the person that made this up maybe doesn't know that. Nothing they are saying even makes sense as they are only saying information that has already been revealed regarding key specifics.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This is the first time they have had a commercial flop on their hands. Things are definitely being shook up there no matter how you look at it.

Hopefully this will show that you can’t release a game in any old state and “patch later”. This patch patch patch mentality of current gen games seriously has to do one. We went from a few meg to fix huge game break issues in really random situations.......... to fixing bugs on the first screen of the game in 50gb patches? We are now pathing in parts of the game for gods sake because people refuse to release the full game or multiple disks, to save a few quid...

Shits getting ridiculous...

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Are they talking about Zenimax CEO Robert Altman?

EDIT: Yep.

Legendary Washington lawyer and presidential adviser Clark M. Clifford and his law partner Robert A. Altman agreed today to forfeit $5 million to settle charges by the Federal Reserve Board in the complex BCCI case, marking the final chapter in the government's nine-year pursuit of the two men.

The Fed had charged Clifford, 91, a counselor to Democratic presidents since the days of Harry S. Truman, and Altman, his younger protege, with knowing that the shadowy Bank of Credit and Commerce International secretly owned First American Bankshares Inc. and lying to regulators about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...660-aa7e-5362e01e176f/?utm_term=.f965f616d98f

Last edited:

Humdinger

Loved Morrowind and Skyrim; they're among my top 10 ten games of all time, maybe top 5. It's sad to see what Bethesda has become lately. I hope they take some of this backlash as a wake-up call. It's not looking good so far, though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i will never take 4chan seriously but i truly hope it is true and that Bethesda crash and burn.

they can't do anything except Elder Scrolls or Fallout. The best ES game right now is ESO and that's not even developed by Bethesda LMFAO. Their games use an ancient engine and they refuse to change it or make a new one.

i'm sorry but it's time to face the truth that Bethesda are no longer what they used to be. Fallout 76 I think is waking people up to this. Unfortunately I think there are still plenty of idiots out there who will still buy the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls game out of sheer blind loyalty.

Kadayi

Banned
I can totally see this engine not working for such a kind of game. Honestly I would have been surprised. At this point Bethesda needs to scrap everything and build a new engine first. This is just unacceptable and I will not buy another game with this engine. Just use the Engine of Str Citizen XD

Hold up there bud. I've been assured in the fallout backlash thread that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bethesdas game engine whatsoever. It's perfectly capable of wonderful things it's just the people using who are at fault.

Von Hugh

Hold up there bud. I've been assured in the fallout backlash thread that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bethesdas game engine whatsoever. It's perfectly capable of wonderful things it's just the people using who are at fault.

Yeah, it's not the engine's fault, it's the people's fault.

Wait, that actually sounds worse than just the engine being at fault.

Humdinger

Unfortunately I think there are still plenty of idiots out there who will still buy the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls game out of sheer blind loyalty.

I'm one of those idiots. These problems are disconcerting, but they won't stop me from buying ES VI Day 1.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

What good's backlash and a wake up call if people are gonna pre-order and buy this stuff regardless of how awful their previous efforts have been?

Top Bottom