• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda leaked information, its not looking good guys.

BANGS

Banned
What game company do you work for?
Are you actually implying that because I don't mind that not every product is tailor made for my consumption, I must work for a game company? Sorry if it makes me happy to know my friends and family who may enjoy games that I don't like have something to play as well as I do. Why do you feel so entitled to think the government should force every product ever made to cater to you? Is this just more sour grapes over your unironic xbox fanboyism?

Last edited:

bobone

Their games were great in the era they were released. But there is no way they can continue with their current engine. The hollow NPCs and bizarre glitches are no longer acceptable. The industry is far beyond what Bethesda can offer at the moment.

Daggerfall was mind blowing in 1996. So was Morrowind in 2002, and Oblivion in 2006. Obviously Skrim was a good game as its one of the top selling RPGs ever.
Fallout 3 is on many peoples top 10 lists too. Fallout 4 is where the industry caught up; and by now they have certainly passed them by.
I hope they adapt; but I'm ready take them out to the shed along with Blizzard.

Alfen Dave

Hard to say if any of this is real since it doesn't actually reveal anything that we can ever verify.

The real story is just that Bethesda has never been a great development studio. This is the real history of Bethesda. They were one of the first to get to this new and popular model of open world games. Being first, people overlooked a lot of problems they've had as a studio since the very beginning. Their gameplay has never been great. Their animations have never been good. Their graphics are hit and miss but have never been industry leading. Their boss fights are non-existent. Their stories have never been great either, they just coasted on the novelty of being very big games mostly.

Fast forward about 10 years and the entire industry has more than caught up. Everyone can now make giant open world games that dwarf anything seen in Skyrim. Xenoblade X on Wii U was 4x the size of Fallout 4, and had no loading, and fast vehicular driving / flying. Final Fantasy is huge open world. Even action games are open world now, like Batman, Metal Gear V, Spider Man. And these games have top tier gameplay, top tier animations, top tier graphics. All those studios that have been good at gameplay this entire time now also can do open world. What can Bethesda do? Nothing.

On top of this, all those studios had to make new, modern engines to catch up and join the open world trend. Bethesda meanwhile coasted on their old shit this whole time. Not only have they coasted on an old engine, they have essentially just made the same game for 20 years. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4. They are all almost the exact same game. It's all been copy and pasted with very little innovation or change, just mostly deleting their complex stuff to streamline and dumb it down.

So here we are in 2018 and people are finally starting to notice that they never were very good. The competition has lapped them about 4x. Even FPS devs are now making gorgeous open world games now, like Horizon.

I remember bakc in college during the SKYRIM craze. Everybody was shouting and yelling how this was the best game/RPG they'v ehad ever played, how Bethesda was the master at making games and I was completely in disbelief since I thought the game already looked dated at the time, with jerky rigid animations and amazingly dull gameplay (Medieval Hiking simulator)...

BTW, as a guy working in game development, what the 4chan posts says doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Project mismanagement and troubled developments are very common and usualy keptin secrecy to avoid bad press..

Top Bottom