• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda's Pete Hines to Todd Howard: "Is [CoD on PS5] not the opposite of what we were asked (TOLD) to do with our own tittles?". TES6 Xbox exclusive

ToTTenTranz

Banned
From Stephen Totilo.
This just keeps on giving:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The difference between Bethesda games and COD is pretty obvious to me. COD releases every year rakes in a ton of microtransactions. BGS drops a single player game like every 10 years.

The intent to foreclosure Sony is still very clear, considering they also told Bethesda to make the years-away TES6 exclusive which is in direct contradiction to Phil Spencer's statements last week.

Darsxx82

The intent to foreclosure Sony is still very clear, considering they also told Bethesda to make the years-away TES6 exclusive which is in direct contradiction to Phil Spencer's statements last week.
Zenimax-Bethesda games don't have that power. That is why its acquisition was approved without conditions.

In the case of Activision, only COD would have that category and what this email proves is that MS's intention is for the game to continue to be multiplatform and to be released on PS.

Dane

Because most of the Bethesda consumers are hardcores who will buy every single version of Skyrim and will spend whatever it takes to play their next title (well that could be now one dollar), the Call of Duty player on the other hand is the casual consumer who's actually more cost critical.

Pete Hines needs to act like 3d realms and develop a game and restart prodiction every 3-5 years while never actually releasing anything. That might help him escape microsoft.

Lol this so funny, if the judge can’t see ms are bunch of liars, his in la la land. As soon as it’s politically and commercially viable, they will make cod exclusive.

if you think this 🎪 ends once an acquisition is approved.....🤡. The
💩👊🪟 after it.

a) inevitable layoffs (Redundancies)
b) people leaving
c) culture clash
d) power vacuum
e) internal turmoil.
d) unionization

I have seen some "commentators" congratulating MS on how masterfully they have "destroyed" the FTC.

well...if...as the same "commentators" say: "The FTC is a joke, incompetent, they have a poor ideological case"....this Big W MS is going to get....wouldn't be like stealing a candy to a child?

the real challenge is going to be the management of all this 💩. and so far with Bethesda(and their studios) they haven't proven they have what it takes.

the 💩show hasn't even started.

Okay, but then anything that could be potentially used against you should be kept for some burner account or encrypted program like Signal,Proton Mail, or XMPP server using PGP
You aren't wrong, which is also why companies all have policies strictly against using not approved devices and accounts, and have been fined on occasion millions of dollars when it happened lol. JPMorgan had to pay $200 million because it's employees were using personal whatsapp accounts recently.

Honestly, I'm sure they never even considered those emails would be collected in discovery of an actual trial.

AmuroChan

You aren't wrong, which is also why companies all have policies strictly against using not approved devices and accounts, and have been fined on occasion millions of dollars when it happened lol. JPMorgan had to pay $200 million because it's employees were using personal whatsapp accounts recently.

Honestly, I'm sure they never even considered those emails would be collected in discovery of an actual trial.

They're Microsoft. Pretty sure their employees are just using good 'ol Outlook and MS Teams for communication rather than 3rd party clients.

GHG

Why dont these large companies use Encrypted platforms and turn on some timer that deletes the email from the device and server?

No, they have to keep records of all email communication for a number of reasons. From a legal perspective all your emails belong to the company and they can use them how they wish.

But at every Fortune 500/FTSE company I've ever worked for have always had tight guidelines on what should and shouldn't be communicated via email.

Puscifer

if you think this 🎪 ends once an acquisition is approved.....🤡. The
💩👊🪟 after it.

a) inevitable layoffs (Redundancies)
b) people leaving
c) culture clash
d) power vacuum
e) internal turmoil.
d) unionization

I have seen some "commentators" congratulating MS on how masterfully they have "destroyed" the FTC.

well...if...as the same "commentators" say: "The FTC is a joke, incompetent, they have a poor ideological case"....this Big W MS is going to get....wouldn't be like stealing a candy to a child?

the real challenge is going to be the management of all this 💩. and so far with Bethesda(and their studios) they haven't proven they have what it takes.

the 💩show hasn't even started.
The most hilarious thing about this to me is that Gamepass was supposed to offset stuff like Redfall and they said shit like "no layoffs because of it for now. Can't make this shit up! More money than sense I'm more surprised Phil or Bill weren't on that submarine at this rate.

Perrott

Gold Member
Why don't they have some private Whatsapp of Bethesda management to talk badly of their parent company? Same with Matt Booty and his villainesque plans to drive Sony out of the console business.

Don't they realize that all these email chains could bit (and are bitting) them in the ass?

Fucking traitor, selling exclusives to Sony... How dare he!
Are you serious?
Way too go off the rails.
He is so against exclusives, and apologised to PlayStation players for not bringing Starfield to PS, yet he had no fucking problems selling exclusives to Sony to have them held off xbox.
He should shut the fuck up, realize he works for MS now and his only concern should be about putting the best content out on MS platforms.
If he wants to be a multiplatform guy, fuck off to EA or Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

He is so against exclusives, and apologised to PlayStation players for not bringing Starfield to PS, yet he had no fucking problems selling exclusives to Sony to have them held off xbox.
He should shut the fuck up, realize he works for MS now and his only concern should be about putting the best content put on MS platforms.
Those timed exclusives that are already on Xbox right now? Stay salty.

FrankWza

He should shut the fuck up, realize he works for MS now and his only concern should be about putting the best content out on MS platforms.
The Godfather Sigh GIF

Perrott

Gold Member
Pete needs to get with the MS program or find a new job I think.
While he was the decision maker at Bethesda, he was busy selling exclusive content to Sony and planned on more like Starfield, so he has some internal hypocrisy he needs to deal with.
Zenimax was in a rough spot financially after over three years of sales disappointments from pretty much their entire late 2016 to early 2020 lineup. All that while the mountains of cash generated by Fallout 4 had almost run out in their entirety and with Starfield's release being still years away at that point. So of course he was selling exclusives to Sony, he had to, it was a matter of survival because otherwise Zenimax would've had to restructure and shut down several of their studios.

And striking similar timed content deals with Xbox wasn't an option to them when there's the precedent of big IP like Tomb Raider underperforming during their exclusivity period with Xbox, and even that was at a point in time in which Game Pass had not yet disrupted the consumer habits of the regular Xbox gamer who nowadays barely even purchase individual games on the marketplace (see the sales for Resident Evil 4, Street Fighter 6 or Jedi Survivor, all of which have like a 4:1 or above split in favor of PlayStation consoles). You'd have to be crazy to run such risk when your company is not doing so hot already - and that's why Xbox didn't have any huge third-party Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII, Silent Hill 2, KOTOR, Deathloop or even Forspoken-type deals this generation (and there's no need to draw such direct comparisons to PlayStation, because they also no longer have the Titanfall, Tomb Raider, Dead Rising or Plants vs Zombies exclusivities that they had during the early days of the Xbox One era). Their only path to get any sort of exclusivity on such high-profile titles is to leverage Microsoft's deep pockets and purchase the entire publisher.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Pete needs to get with the MS program or find a new job I think.
While he was the decision maker at Bethesda, he was busy selling exclusive content to Sony and planned on more like Starfield, so he has some internal hypocrisy he needs to deal with.
Timed exclusives for consoles help the game out during production and also gives the chance to have a more complete/expansions included version later on the other console.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was Xbox exclusive for i think a year and that deal with MS helped the production of the game. PlayStation got the game later with bundled all the dlc content later.

I believe same thing was in store for Deathloop, Ghostwire and potentially Starfield coming to PlayStation first.

Not everyone might like it but me being a patient gamer, it didn't matter too much

Zenimax was in a rough spot financially after over three years of sales disappointments from pretty much their entire late 2016 to early 2020 lineup. All that while the mountains of cash generated by Fallout 4 had almost run out in their entirety and with Starfield's release being still years away at that point. So of course he was selling exclusives to Sony, he had to, it was a matter of survival because otherwise Zenimax would've had to restructure and shut down several of their studios.

And striking similar timed content deals with Xbox wasn't an option to them when there's the precedent of big IP like Tomb Raider underperforming during their exclusivity period with Xbox, and even that was at a point in time in which Game Pass had not yet disrupted the consumer habits of the regular Xbox gamer who nowadays barely even purchase individual games on the marketplace (see the sales for Resident Evil 4, Street Fighter 6 or Jedi Survivor, all of which have like a 4:1 or above split in favor of PlayStation consoles). You'd have to be crazy to run such risk when your company is not doing so hot already - and that's why Xbox didn't have any huge third-party Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII, Silent Hill 2, KOTOR, Deathloop or even Forspoken-type deals this generation (and there's no need to draw such direct comparisons to PlayStation, because they also no longer have the Titanfall, Tomb Raider, Dead Rising or Plants vs Zombies exclusivities that they had during the early days of the Xbox One era). Their only path to get any sort of exclusivity on such high-profile titles is to leverage Microsoft's deep pockets and purchase the entire publisher.
Sure, Zenimax needed the money, and it's also why they eventually sold to MS.
If Pete was happy to take the Sony money at xbox gamers expense, and didn't feel the need to apologise to them like he did playstation owners with Starfield, then he should be ultra thankful for MS buying Zenimax and saving their jobs.

Timed exclusives for consoles help the game out during production and also gives the chance to have a more complete/expansions included version later on the other console.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was Xbox exclusive for i think a year and that deal with MS helped the production of the game. PlayStation got the game later with bundled all the dlc content later.

I believe same thing was in store for Deathloop, Ghostwire and potentially Starfield coming to PlayStation first.

Not everyone might like it but me being a patient gamer, it didn't matter too much
I am all for exclusives. The more the better. I am just against hypocrisy.
When MS got Tomb Raider as an exclusive, do you remember the absolute smashing they got from the media and Sony fans for taking the game away from Sony?
It was a bloodbath, and it scared MS from ever doing it again.
Now that Sony has been doing it, they got praised for getting those games for their players.
It might upset some people that MS has deep pockets and could buy Sony tomorrow with Cash and not lose a night's sleep, but stiff shit. That's the reality, and MS should do all the buying of studios they can for their console.
I don't give two fucks if Sony can't match them. Sony should do what they are good at, and if they do a good job, they will be successful.

I am all for exclusives. The more the better. I am just against hypocrisy.
When MS got Tomb Raider as an exclusive, do you remember the absolute smashing they got from the media and Sony fans for taking the game away from Sony?
It was a bloodbath, and it scared MS from ever doing it again.
Now that Sony has been doing it, they got praised for getting those games for their players.
It might upset some people that MS has deep pockets and could buy Sony tomorrow with Cash and not lose a night's sleep, but stiff shit. That's the reality, and MS should do all the buying of studios they can for their console.
I don't give two fucks if Sony can't match them. Sony should do what they are good at, and if they do a good job, they will be successful.
so, Are you against yourself?

Top Bottom