• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda's Pete Hines to Todd Howard: "Is [CoD on PS5] not the opposite of what we were asked (TOLD) to do with our own tittles?". TES6 Xbox exclusive

bender

What time is it?
...and it scared MS from ever doing it again.
really-seriously.gif

Lupin25

I am all for exclusives. The more the better. I am just against hypocrisy.
When MS got Tomb Raider as an exclusive, do you remember the absolute smashing they got from the media and Sony fans for taking the game away from Sony?
It was a bloodbath, and it scared MS from ever doing it again.
Now that Sony has been doing it, they got praised for getting those games for their players.
It might upset some people that MS has deep pockets and could buy Sony tomorrow with Cash and not lose a night's sleep, but stiff shit. That's the reality, and MS should do all the buying of studios they can for their console.
I don't give two fucks if Sony can't match them. Sony should do what they are good at, and if they do a good job, they will be successful.

You keep talking about Sony and their smaller deals.

You do realize an acquisition at this magnitude (for anyone) is unprecedented, right?

Also, you just admitted MS first dabbled with 3rd party exclusives. That gives Sony all the free reign to respond with their own, does it not?

This isn’t about individual 3rd party exclusive deals, though, is what you’re missing.
This is a (‘nother) “publisher” we’re talking about.

Last edited:

You do realize an acquisition at this magnitude (for anyone) is unprecedented, right?

Also, you just admitted MS first dabbled with 3rd party exclusives. That gives Sony all the free reign to respond with their own, does it not?

This isn’t about individual 3rd party exclusive deals, though, is what you’re missing.
shhhh he says he is against hypocrisy but conveniently ignores all the third-party exclusive games Xbox has done over the years.

Ozzie666

This is making Sega Japan and Americans turbulent times look like nothing. Obviously if games were forecasted as multi-platform titles, suddenly day 1 game pass. The return-on-investment benefits Microsoft more than the developer/publisher. You'd be scared and concerned how you could justify your team without knowing exactly what profits you made.

You’d think he’d be able to look at their own games like F76/ESO versus Starfield and see the difference between Starfield and CoD. CoD is probably the only ABK franchise they’d keep completely multiplatform, though maybe I’m forgetting something obvious.

I mean, the easy answer for journos is ‘We’re aware of the acquisition, but these decisions are made by Xbox/Microsoft’.

Bethesda were bought out by Microsoft so I’m pretty sure it’s not really their business and they’re just looking for answers to satisfy their own curiosity.

Also, all I’m getting from these emails are that Microsoft want to spend Sony out of the competition, but are terrible at making decisions and actually have no idea which games are exclusive and which aren’t. I definitely wouldn’t trust anything that they’ve said about making games available on competing platforms, regardless of contracts.

That place is seriously a mess.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I am all for exclusives. The more the better. I am just against hypocrisy.
When MS got Tomb Raider as an exclusive, do you remember the absolute smashing they got from the media and Sony fans for taking the game away from Sony?
It was a bloodbath, and it scared MS from ever doing it again.
Now that Sony has been doing it, they got praised for getting those games for their players.
It might upset some people that MS has deep pockets and could buy Sony tomorrow with Cash and not lose a night's sleep, but stiff shit. That's the reality, and MS should do all the buying of studios they can for their console.
I don't give two fucks if Sony can't match them. Sony should do what they are good at, and if they do a good job, they will be successful.

Xbox has many timed exclusive games after Tomb Raider, both big and small.

You guys are so quick to defend Microsoft without making any logical sense whatsoever.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I mean, the easy answer for journos is ‘We’re aware of the acquisition, but these decisions are made by Xbox/Microsoft’.

Bethesda were bought out by Microsoft so I’m pretty sure it’s not really their business and they’re just looking for answers to satisfy their own curiosity.

I think that first part is one way to look at it and it makes sense but I suppose you could say that a really competent PR person would want to brief their client (Howard) on what the most likely topics to come up might be and in that sense, he's doing the right thing by asking for clarity - even if all that he can be told is that Xbox do or don't want him to comment on this story, they might not even want Bethesda to say as much as you've suggested.

It seems pretty reasonable for Xbox PR to reach out to their developers and say "the Activision acquisition is in the news, the line we're taking is that we'd like you to say any questions on that topic should be redirected to Xbox PR"

No idea why he's chosen such pissy language, but I think a reasonable interpretation of this email is "now I'm part of this giant corporation, I don't want to be front page news for having my client say something that isn't the approved stance, why am I not being told what we can say" and not much else.

I can imagine Hines was used to being across every aspect of the business when Bethesda were a big part of a smaller machine. It must be frustrating to transition to being a smaller part of a bigger machine.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Pretty sad that someone at Bethesda doesn't understand the basics of the console war.
The difference is they don't have to and they need exclusives to compete, it's not rocket science and embarrassing that email was even written.

Xbox has many timed exclusive games after Tomb Raider, both big and small.

You guys are so quick to defend Microsoft without making any logical sense whatsoever.
Nothing on the scale of Tomb Raider. TR was a massive franchise, one of the biggest in gaming actually.
You obviously went around back then an have no memory about the stink it caused.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Zenimax-Bethesda games don't have that power. That is why its acquisition was approved without conditions.

In the case of Activision, only COD would have that category and what this email proves is that MS's intention is for the game to continue to be multiplatform and to be released on PS.
You're lying. And Phil also lied. Let's stop acting as if Phil didn't say the exact opposite when it came to Bethesda games.

Poltz

Nothing on the scale of Tomb Raider. TR was a massive franchise, one of the biggest in gaming actually.
You obviously went around back then an have no memory about the stink it caused.
Ark sold 20 million copies, thats a bigger game in terms of sales than Tomb Raider.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Pretty sad that someone at Bethesda doesn't understand the basics of the console war.
The difference is they don't have to and they need exclusives to compete, it's not rocket science and embarrassing that email was even written.

Whats embarrassing is the MS Execs didn't communicate with Bethesda as to why Activision would be treated differently than them.

Again, you seem to be confused. Microsoft isn't limited to what it can acquire because Sony is limited.
Just because Sony hasn't bought a company as big as ABK doesn't mean MS can't.
Sony bought big publishers years ago. They have purchased the vast amount of their game studios, just like MS have. Infact, Sony only has two more studios they built from the ground up than MS has (6-4).
Sony doesn't dictate the rules of how game companies can be ran, or how they can grow.
It doesn't matter if Sony fans think MS buying a big publisher isn't "fair". It doesn't matter that Sony doesn't have the ability to match MSs wallet.
And let's be honest here, of Sony could afford to buy ABK, and they had the opportunity, do you honestly think they wouldn't? You do realize the same Sony who doesn't do that sort of thing offered about 40-50 billion for Fox yeah?
Don't kid yourself. And, if Sony did buy ABK, the same people here saying how bad it is that MS is doing it, would all suddenly be touching themselves in their dirty spots about it.

Hey, it sucks when things don't go your way. It sucked as an xbox gamer when Sony was getting all the exclusive content and Xbox didn't. But you didn't mind then, so now that Xbox is getting exclusive content that PS isn't, you again shouldn't mind.
In the words of my PS friends, want to play the exclusives? Buy an xbox.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Rise of the Tomb Raider didn't put up huge numbers, neither did Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

PUBG was a much bigger game than both combined.

Ark II is also going to be a much bigger game.

Your argument falls flat based on facts alone.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Whats embarrassing is the MS Execs didn't communicate with Bethesda as to why Activision would be treated differently than them.

The senior vice president of global marketing & communications at Bethesda (a multi billion dollar company) should have a basic understanding of games and consoles.
I'm just some random from the street and even I knew Bethesda games would be exclusive.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Completely understand Pete Hines frustration here. He was the big decision maker and that's been taken away from him. It's a tough pill to swallow.

Phil has always been quite out front that Bethesda was purchased to improve xbox first party line up but call of duty is a completely different beast.

Darsxx82

You're lying. And Phil also lied. Let's stop acting as if Phil didn't say the exact opposite when it came to Bethesda games.
???
Are you talking or is it your obfuscation?

1- You may like it or not but, according to the regulators, only COD is an IP that can cause damage to its exclusivity in the current situation of the console market. I correct, only the FTC because the rest have already ruled it out.
I don't know where you see the lie in a fact...

2- P. Spencer said many things. What he never said is that Bethesda games were going to keep coming out on PS forever. Among other things because, unlike what happens with COD, it did not have the same economic incentive and the regulators approved in full without conditions.

Fabieter

Again, you seem to be confused. Microsoft isn't limited to what it can acquire because Sony is limited.
Just because Sony hasn't bought a company as big as ABK doesn't mean MS can't.
Sony bought big publishers years ago. They have purchased the vast amount of their game studios, just like MS have. Infact, Sony only has two more studios they built from the ground up than MS has (6-4).
Sony doesn't dictate the rules of how game companies can be ran, or how they can grow.
It doesn't matter if Sony fans think MS buying a big publisher isn't "fair". It doesn't matter that Sony doesn't have the ability to match MSs wallet.
And let's be honest here, of Sony could afford to buy ABK, and they had the opportunity, do you honestly think they wouldn't? You do realize the same Sony who doesn't do that sort of thing offered about 40-50 billion for Fox yeah?
Don't kid yourself. And, if Sony did buy ABK, the same people here saying how bad it is that MS is doing it, would all suddenly be touching themselves in their dirty spots about it.

Hey, it sucks when things don't go your way. It sucked as an xbox gamer when Sony was getting all the exclusive content and Xbox didn't. But you didn't mind then, so now that Xbox is getting exclusive content that PS isn't, you again shouldn't mind.
In the words of my PS friends, want to play the exclusives? Buy an xbox.

All the whatabouism! If sony would try to do it any sane person would also push against it. And your reasoning is fine with killing the small guys and innovation with it. There is no excuse that the biggest guys can and should buy everything.

Helghan

Lol Pete. CoD and Starfield are not the same. Sure Starfield is going to be a much better game, but CoD has a much bigger audience.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
???
Are you talking or is it your obfuscation?

1- You may like it or not but, according to the regulators, only COD is an IP that can cause damage to its exclusivity in the current situation of the console market. I correct, only the FTC because the rest have already ruled it out.
I don't know where you see the lie in a fact...

2- P. Spencer said many things. What he never said is that Bethesda games were going to keep coming out on PS forever. Among other things because, unlike what happens with COD, it did not have the same economic incentive and the regulators approved in full without conditions.
You are going hard for the intellectually dishonest competition or what?

TVexperto

im tired of all these single threads, is there like a website where i can browse through all emails / stuff from that ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Lol Pete. CoD and Starfield are not the same. Sure Starfield is going to be a much better game, but CoD has a much bigger audience.
The bigger point is that for sure Starfield and especially TES VI were going to make good numbers on multiple PlayStation generations (see Skyrim). MS came in and to the public they said “we are not here to remove games from PlayStation, we want to bring more games to more people” and internally said “we do not give enough of a shit to really oversee things, see Redfall, but stop anything going to PlayStation consoles we can get away with it, renegotiate contracts if you must”.

Helghan

The bigger point is that for sure Starfield and especially TES VI were going to make good numbers on multiple PlayStation generations (see Skyrim). MS came in and to the public they said “we are not here to remove games from PlayStation, we want to bring more games to more people” and internally said “we do not give enough of a shit to really oversee things, see Redfall, but stop anything going to PlayStation consoles we can get away with it, renegotiate contracts if you must”.
That's not what that email says at all... You are making assumptions based on an interpretation of something you have nothing to do with. If you only focus on what is actually written, it's mostly that he's confused Zenimax titles are exclusive and CoD won't be.

The answer to that is simple. CoD generates way more money than any Zenimax title. Therefor it stays on Playstation.

Kenpachii

"it stays on playstation"

Oh here sony, this is the deal, 100% of everything revovled cod will go to us and u can keep cod on your platform and we will delay content by a few months while at it and allow gamepass on your platform.

Can't feel bad for playstation tho, they do this exclusive dog shit deals all day long so fuck them.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Detective GAF “We have the strong suspicion that MS is buying stuff to gain an edge over Sony and we caught them red-handed”.

…Good job? How is any of this shit a revelation?

Denton

Microsoft should just commit to release all their games on Playstation (in addition to PC and Xbox) and then government should just force Sony to do the same. No more buying unnecessary redundant boxes just to play some games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
another email that isn't interesting. Keep them coming.

LOL. Another email without substance.

Pete Hines wondering how he should respond to the press asking why ABK games are going to come out on PS5 and Bethesda games are not.

In any case, it is an email that reinforces MS's intention that COD is not going to be exclusive.

Pete needs to get with the MS program or find a new job I think.
While he was the decision maker at Bethesda, he was busy selling exclusive content to Sony and planned on more like Starfield, so he has some internal hypocrisy he needs to deal with.

Pete’s really triggered you guys huh.

Morrowind was exclusive to Xbox and PC.

PS2 sold 150m

Oblivion 2 years timed exclusive to 360 and PC. PS3 still outsold 360 worldwide.

ES not gonna do shit for Xbox to beat PS ddominance.Sony got FF locked. MS need something right?

Microsoft should just commit to release all their games on Playstation (in addition to PC and Xbox) and then government should just force Sony to do the same. No more buying unnecessary redundant boxes just to play some games.
That's the thing. FTC fine with Sony having exclusives but not MS.

They fine if Japanese company dominate American market with 3rd party deals, but they cant let American company do the same in America.

I seriously wonder what kind of people work in FTC

Poltz

That's the thing. FTC fine with Sony having exclusives but not MS.

They fine if Japanese company dominate American market with 3rd party deals, but they cant let American company do the same in America.

I seriously wonder what kind of people work in FTC
If Sony tried to buy a publisher there would be opposition to the deal as well. If 56-44 is dominating then yikes. Why does it matter if Sony are Japanese?

Last edited:
Top Bottom