• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda's Pete Hines to Todd Howard: "Is [CoD on PS5] not the opposite of what we were asked (TOLD) to do with our own tittles?". TES6 Xbox exclusive

Lupin25

Again, you seem to be confused. Microsoft isn't limited to what it can acquire because Sony is limited.
Just because Sony hasn't bought a company as big as ABK doesn't mean MS can't.
Sony bought big publishers years ago. They have purchased the vast amount of their game studios, just like MS have. Infact, Sony only has two more studios they built from the ground up than MS has (6-4).
Sony doesn't dictate the rules of how game companies can be ran, or how they can grow.
It doesn't matter if Sony fans think MS buying a big publisher isn't "fair". It doesn't matter that Sony doesn't have the ability to match MSs wallet.
And let's be honest here, of Sony could afford to buy ABK, and they had the opportunity, do you honestly think they wouldn't? You do realize the same Sony who doesn't do that sort of thing offered about 40-50 billion for Fox yeah?
Don't kid yourself. And, if Sony did buy ABK, the same people here saying how bad it is that MS is doing it, would all suddenly be touching themselves in their dirty spots about it.

Hey, it sucks when things don't go your way. It sucked as an xbox gamer when Sony was getting all the exclusive content and Xbox didn't. But you didn't mind then, so now that Xbox is getting exclusive content that PS isn't, you again shouldn't mind.
In the words of my PS friends, want to play the exclusives? Buy an xbox.

I stopped reading here.

Yes, they are.

Proceedings like these are what protect counterparts like Sony/Nintendo/Valve (lesser “fortunate” platform-holders operating within the same market), from monolithic titans simply willing to outbid them for success.

Edit: This is while having the recent history of taking content from them (Sony mostly), which we now know they would’ve had, which contradicts the rhetoric that Microsoft (not Sony) gave to regulators.

It’s ironic, because XGS are in this unique position for the simple fact that they are also
Microsoft: One of those titans.

Remember, Sony isn’t the one appealing in court, willing to have everything exposed here.

Microsoft is.

Are we going to blame Sony for those emails too?

Last edited:
???
Are you talking or is it your obfuscation?

1- You may like it or not but, according to the regulators, only COD is an IP that can cause damage to its exclusivity in the current situation of the console market. I correct, only the FTC because the rest have already ruled it out.
I don't know where you see the lie in a fact...

2- P. Spencer said many things. What he never said is that Bethesda games were going to keep coming out on PS forever. Among other things because, unlike what happens with COD, it did not have the same economic incentive and the regulators approved in full without conditions.
Why do you defend Microsoft ? They're lying. They only want to be the dominant actor. Providing good games is of no interest to them. Don't defend GAFAM, they work actively against general interest.

ZoukGalaxy

Why dont these large companies use Encrypted platforms and turn on some timer that deletes the email from the device and server?
Be sure that all these data are encrypted, this is not a "leak", we're talking about Microsoft. These data were GIVEN by Microsoft to FTC on request. Also, they may be required by some laws to keep history for auditing or things like we're seeing today with FTC. Any inconsistencies or missing emails/data may compromise a lot of things for them, you can't delete on purpose business data easily in massive corporate, there is for sure a LOT of backup and redundancy at Microsoft HQ.

And they probably thought all these internal emails would never be disclosed one day like this, be sure they will learn from their mistakes... maybe.

Last edited:
I stopped reading here.

Yes, they are.

Proceedings like these are what protect counterparts like Sony/Nintendo/Valve (lesser “fortunate” platform-holders operating within the same market), from monolithic titans simply willing to outbid them for success.

Edit: This is while having the recent history of taking content from them (Sony mostly), which we now know they would’ve had, which contradicts the rhetoric that Microsoft (not Sony) gave to regulators.

It’s ironic, because XGS are in this unique position for the simple fact that they are also
Microsoft: One of those titans.

Remember, Sony isn’t the one appealing in court, willing to have everything exposed here.

Microsoft is.

Are we going to blame Sony for those emails too?
Your post makes no sense. If you think Sony dictates to the gaming industry what can studios and publishers can be bought by default of who they have bought, then you are clowning yourself
Enough said.

Nubulax

wait until he finds out that Bungie is releasing multiplatform, while all of Sony's other acquisitions don't 😲
Some of Sonys other acquisitions havent even made a game (Haven for example), are support/porting studios, or have basically released mainly playstation games in their entire history or decent recent history (like Insomniac and Housemarque for example) and none of them are Publishers

Last edited:
All the whatabouism! If sony would try to do it any sane person would also push against it. And your reasoning is fine with killing the small guys and innovation with it. There is no excuse that the biggest guys can and should buy everything.
The term "whataboutism" was brought out by people who were really hypocritical and didn't want to be held to account by their hypocrisy.
Sony is the biggest guy in the gaming industry. What's your point?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Again, you seem to be confused. Microsoft isn't limited to what it can acquire because Sony is limited.
Just because Sony hasn't bought a company as big as ABK doesn't mean MS can't.
Sony bought big publishers years ago. They have purchased the vast amount of their game studios, just like MS have. Infact, Sony only has two more studios they built from the ground up than MS has (6-4).
Sony doesn't dictate the rules of how game companies can be ran, or how they can grow.
It doesn't matter if Sony fans think MS buying a big publisher isn't "fair". It doesn't matter that Sony doesn't have the ability to match MSs wallet.
And let's be honest here, of Sony could afford to buy ABK, and they had the opportunity, do you honestly think they wouldn't? You do realize the same Sony who doesn't do that sort of thing offered about 40-50 billion for Fox yeah?
Don't kid yourself. And, if Sony did buy ABK, the same people here saying how bad it is that MS is doing it, would all suddenly be touching themselves in their dirty spots about it.

Hey, it sucks when things don't go your way. It sucked as an xbox gamer when Sony was getting all the exclusive content and Xbox didn't. But you didn't mind then, so now that Xbox is getting exclusive content that PS isn't, you again shouldn't mind.
In the words of my PS friends, want to play the exclusives? Buy an xbox.
based on your logic here, might as well just ban all the monopoly regulations then. Smaller companies should just pack their bags and leave any of the industry they are competing in.

Last edited:
based on your logic here, might as well just ban all the monopoly regulations then. Smaller companies should just pack their bags and leave any of the industry they are competing in.
As it stands, MS is not a gaming monopoly, and are third or fourth place in the industry. After Zenimax and ABK, MS is still not in first place, so again, not a monopoly.

If MS bought Ubi, Rockstar, EA and Embracer Group, and then made all their games exclusive, I would agree that would be a monopoly and shouldn't be allowed.
We are nowhere near that point.

Infact, if Sony were to try and buy ABK, I wouldn't say it was a monopoly either. The only game Activision bring out is COD, most of Blizzard is PC focused, where Sony doesn't have a big presence at all, and King is mobile and Sony has nothing there either.
As it stands, Sony could make COD a third party exclusive to PS, and no organisation could stop them from doing it. It would be legal, and it would have the same result of them buying ABK and taking the game off Xbox as well.
So how could that be considered a monopoly?

Fabieter

The term "whataboutism" was brought out by people who were really hypocritical and didn't want to be held to account by their hypocrisy.
Sony is the biggest guy in the gaming industry. What's your point?

That's not even true. Valve is by far the biggest guy in the gaming industry followed by tencent.

out by people who were really hypocritical and didn't want to be held to account by their hypocrisy.
PelB2Oj.gif

Fabieter

Valves entire annual revenue was 13 Billion in 2022, they are nowhere near the biggest. PlayStation revenue was over twice that amount in 2022.

That's news to me that valves revenue is actually known instead of estimate, But even if that was true still doubtful tencent is bigger than sony and they don't even own a gaming platform.

StueyDuck

Who's being persecuted? I'm not. It's the people who are against MS buying Zenimax and making the games exclusive who are claiming they are being persecuted by big bad rich MS.
Most people are just against corporate consolidation. Which always leads to stagnation in their relative industries

You are the only one I'm seeing thats arguing for consolidation because "Sony bad".

Last edited:

fallingdove

That's the thing. FTC fine with Sony having exclusives but not MS.

They fine if Japanese company dominate American market with 3rd party deals, but they cant let American company do the same in America.

I seriously wonder what kind of people work in FTC
Ok shill. So impressed by your ability to parrot the Microsoft narrative.

Xbox has purchased plenty of third party exclusives. You are quick to forget Ninja Gaiden, and Tales of Vesperia, and Blue Dragon, and Titanfall, and Dead Rising, and Garden Warfare, and Tomb Raider, and Warhammer, and Scorn.

I think what you meant to say was, even though an American company has failed to succeed in America, they should be able to do whatever they want to manipulate the market because America.

Godot25

Banned
Yes Pete
Bethesda was bought for exclusivity and for getting people into Xbox ecosystem
ABK is being bought as a cash cow and for mobile

I thought it is obvious at first glance.

Ok shill. So impressed by your ability to parrot the Microsoft narrative.

Xbox has purchased plenty of third party exclusives. You are quick to forget Ninja Gaiden, and Tales of Vesperia, and Blue Dragon, and Titanfall, and Dead Rising, and Garden Warfare, and Tomb Raider, and Warhammer, and Scorn.

I think what you meant to say was, even though an American company has failed to succeed in America, they should be able to do whatsoever they want to manipulate the market because America.
Alright Sony shill. How far you go to support Jim Ryan and Sony anti competitive policies?

MS funded/ did marketing of most of those games you mentioned except maybe ROTR, whereas Sony Money hatted AAA games like FF, Nioh and many more. They also practice anti competitive marketing strategies with CoD and Destiny, where MS wasn't even allowed to share footage of games on their own social media channels. MS never made such deals. During 360 days, when MS had exclusive deals, Sony was allowed to share and promote games on their social channels.

Both companies had exclusive deals but Sony deals were way more anti competitive compared to MS.
Remember MS had to show perfume ad to show Destiny also on their console? You see how strict brutal Sony is when it comes to getting exclusive deals lol

Last edited:
In my opinion FtC not protecting American consumers. They are following Ideology of Democrats which is anti big tech. Big tech is bad no matter what. Dont let them grow. Just keep blocking them.

These big tech are one of the main source of American economic growth and their soft power globally. Its a fact no one can deny.

Mods pls dont delete my post. Its my opinion.

Fabieter

Alright Sony shill. How far you go to support Jim Ryan and Sony anti competitive policies?

MS funded/ did marketing of most of those games you mentioned except maybe ROTR, whereas Sony Money hatted AAA games like FF, Nioh and many more. They also practice anti competitive marketing strategies with CoD and Destiny, where MS wasn't even allowed to share footage of games on their own social media channels. MS never made such deals. During 360 days, when MS had exclusive deals, Sony was allowed to share and promote games on their social channels.

Both companies had exclusive deals but Sony deals were way more anti competitive compared to MS.
Remember MS had to show perfume ad to show Destiny also on their console? You see how strict brutal Sony is when it comes to getting exclusive deals lol

Calling sony 3p deals moneyhatting while calling ms 3p deals marketing is acting in bad faith. Big oof. You even called nioh moneyhatting while that was co developed by sony. No just no Microsoft deals aint better than sony deals

Fabieter

In my opinion FtC not protecting American consumers. They are following Ideology of Democrats which is anti big tech. Big tech is bad no matter what. Dont let them grow. Just keep blocking them.

These big tech are one of the main source of American economic growth and their soft power globally. Its a fact no one can deny.

Mods pls dont delete my post. Its my opinion.

Just stop it. If the japanese goverment would sell all the us treasuries and China would see that opportunity to sell to than you would have a hyper inflation in the us and loads and loads of job losses.

We are soo connected in the world, we need each other. This "we are first" mentality literally disgusts me.

fallingdove

I love that you have a scale for money hating.

I don’t really give a shit about marketing deals — they don’t impede on your ability to purchase a game on your console of choice.

3rd party timed exclusives, again, whatever. If you can’t wait 6 months to a year to play the game then you probably should purchase the console the game is on.

With Final Fantasy 7R — as has been stated, the exclusivity is over. Ask Microsoft why the game isn’t on their platform.

Poltz

Wait, you think Nioh was a money hat? L M A O

Most people are just against corporate consolidation. Which always leads to stagnation in their relative industries

You are the only one I'm seeing thats arguing for consolidation because "Sony bad".
Firstly, your definition of consolidation needs some clarity.
Basically you can say Sony or MS buying any single studio is consolidation by definition.
Your point about it is that the problem is that it will create Stagnation in the industry if there is consolidation.
Now tell me with a straight face, if MS buys ABK, how will this lead to stagnation? It will actually lead to greater competition with Sony, not less.

Fabieter

Basically you can say Sony or MS buying any single studio is consolidation by definition.
Your point about it is that the problem is that it will create Stagnation in the industry if there is consolidation.
Now tell me with a straight face, if MS buys ABK, how will this lead to stagnation? It will actually lead to greater competition with Sony, not less.

Explain to me how it makes competition better? Xbox don't need two publishers to compete, they need better mangement.

StueyDuck

Lol 🤣

First of all it's the exact definition of consolidation because unlike you, we are all talking about all the companies and any purchase. Funny you can't seem to process that we feel the same when Sony buys bungie too.

Secondly you are very clearly ignoring the future implications. If Microsoft can buy the biggest publisher for 70 billion dollars then that's it, precedent is set, they will buy more and more and more publishers, this isn't about the ABK deal, it's about what comes next and you know it which is why you are batting so hard for your favorite plastic toy manufacturer to win this.

Stagnation Will happen... just look at the mobile market, just look at music streaming, just look at Disney and how they fuck up everything.

One company owning everything is never a good thing. But hey bad Sony grrr right 😉 definitely no ulterior motive going on behind these arguments of yours is there. No sirree bob

Last edited:
Top Bottom