• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiraiza

Slap a game of Idolmaster on the Switch and maybe. Who could say no to a portable that allows you to experience your waifu in glorious 720p resolution for 3 hours at a time?

I have news for you, the majority of people who don't post on forums like this could give a shit about if it's a port or not. Especially sports game players.
I think you misunderestimate how much sports gamers will value fidelity and feature complete games. Which a PS3/360 will not be.

prwxv3

Launch sales are not an indication of how well it'll sell in its lifetime. I'd be surprised if this thing still sold well after April.

I can't believe this is still a argument. The WiiU had a very respectable launch. It was after launch when it cratered.

I think so. I think this is the "new" people were hoping for with the Wii U. I'm putting my trust in Nintendo to support the Switch and continue to refine it as it goes on.

jax

Banned
Launch sales are not an indication of how well it'll sell in its lifetime. I'd be surprised if this thing still sold well after April.
If you want to have a regular discussion about this, we can, but I'm not going to deal with hyperbole. Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 will sell shitloads of units. The E3 Smash hype will also move tons of units.

ugly

The verge definitely seems to think it'll be a success. At least they're hopeful with all these "best foot forward" articles. I'm glad Nintendo are getting some good press only if it helps them generate more positive momentum. They have a legacy that is showing promising signs of rejuvenation. The new Mario looks great and let's not forget what great titles truly did have a home on the Wii u. When people have played Mario Odyssey I think they'll be feeling good. There's signs of creativity being harnessed. Look to the concept of Splatoon coming to market providing the young 'uns with a chance to innovate. That was last gen for Nintendo now but it's part of the same chain of events. Zelda has hugely iterated for the new series entry.
Nintendo is a stubborn company who like to do things their way and under that conditional status they're basically trying to turn the ship around while not losing what they are as a company. It's awkward but there's hope for what a successful Nintendo operating on this level could accomplish in terms of software, brand recognition and as they put it, "synergy". A silver lining, perhaps.

Depends on how quickly it becomes the true successor to the 3DS because as a home console it is pitiful. I'll say 35 to 40 million lifetime sales if takes off in Japan.

If you want to have a regular discussion about this, we can, but I'm not going to deal with hyperbole. Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 will sell shitloads of units. The E3 Smash hype will also move tons of units.

Like they did on Wii-u? Wii-u had Splatoon, Mario Kart, Mario.....where is that at?

pdk27

This is gonna sell like the Wii U but this time there is no 50 million unit 3ds around to keep the bottom line from falling out. Could be rough going.

hohoXD123

I look forward to it, but we won't have to wait a year. We'll see how crazily these Switch fly of the shelves in just a few more weeks.

Yeah, none of the casual gamers will know or even give a crap if it's a port or not.

Maybe not quite as huge as before, but the crowds will return. There's no doubt about that. Also, pocket projectors cost $100 and any wall is a 100 inch Switch screen.

Are you confident enough for an avatar bet then?

The Wii U cannot be taken out of the house.

What's wrong with my point? Instead of just saying it's fanboyism why not actually read what I wrote? It's a portable console with local multiplayer. One person has a Switch and 4 people are playing Mario Kart. This repeats and one of those four will eventually buy a Switch. Rinse repeat.

Think Pokémon Go. How huge was that? The Switch could be just as large. Portable projectors for $100 turn any surface into a giant MK8D session.

That sounds great, but none of that is ever going to happen.

The reality is nobody is going to want to play mario kart with the switch controllers, let alone four of them.
Even if they did, the battery life is going to make that particular play session just a dream.
The bigger reality is nobody is letting this leave the house.

Surfheart

I voted gamecube, but I really feel it will be better than Wii U but not as good as the cube.

For the guy saying this will be Wii 2? I can't see that at all. Wii with the motion controls was totally new and fresh and it captured the zeitgeist.

Wii sports was also a much stronger title than 12 switch appears to be and it was bundled with the console.

I recall back in the day so many casual friends and family had a Wii under the TV with a layer of dust on it and the only game they had was Wii sports.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I voted WiiU tier.

Paid online and the high initial cost killed it from leaving that.

What's the market for this console other than the hardcore Nintendo crowd that is basically the WiiU's total sales?

-Current gen console converts? There's zero reason to buy this.
-Kids? Phones and tablets are their playgrounds now. Kids don't have attachment to Nintendo's mascots anymore. No reason to buy this.
-Parents buying for kids? Not at that price. Bad word of mouth will spread due to paid online and high accessory costs too.
-3DS owners looking to upgrade? I don't think this device will hit their needs considering its size, cost, and need for online subscription even if it does get pokemon eventually.
-Impulse buyers have been neutered.

I don't see a market for this device other than the extreme niche and the hardcore nintendo crowd that is always there.

Honestly, Nintendo should have just contracted out a micro tablet with some physical buttons and a version of android with their slick OS look on it, then pre-installed apps to get the games easier like the nintendo store, and just went iOS/android. Hardcore nintendo fans would buy the tablet/handheld hybrid, so it wouldn't be a total bomb and everyone else would just get their games on their phone.

I look forward to it, but we won't have to wait a year. We'll see how crazily these Switch fly of the shelves in just a few more weeks

Maybe not quite as huge as before, but the crowds will return. There's no doubt about that. Also, pocket projectors cost $100 and any wall is a 100 inch Switch screen.

If the Switch doesn't "fly" off the shelves, I hope you'll rethink your ideas instead of moving goalposts. We will see soon enough!

Oh, and no one is buying pocket projectors for portable Switch parties. That kind of thing won't catch on with the public at large anytime soon.

So say a huge Pokémon GO update is released (1v1 battles, trading and hundreds of new Pokémon), completely reigniting the phenomenon, released alongside Pokémon Stars for the Nintendo Switch.

Even if 1/10th of the massive amounts of people there bring a Switch with Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Pokémon, it's enough to ignite a massive chunk of people flooding to buy a Switch after seeing first hand what they're capable of.

I don't see this as a far fetched idea tbh. Only a small example of what we'll see when portable local multiplayer takes over.

Time to start one for the Switch

2522502-6981212523-ninte.jpg

Just focusing on this one point, would it be too much to ask for this next gen nintendo console to brute force better visuals than the wii u even if some games are in early development? This is no excuse to how shitty some of their games look. If it's a next-gen leap from wii u the visuals should immediately show such as better aa,textures, etc..

Example: This is wii u visuals
mario-3d-world-4.jpg

This is the switch in a similar type of wet environment:
NintendoSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_Presentation2017_scrn09_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

why does it look near or exactly the same?

The wii u has been long abandoned, what have they been doing all these years leading up to this grand reveal so close to launch?
You should post 3D Land as well since it's handheld

Pokemon Stars having a separate Pokemon Stadium mode with optional rentals would be a megaton. That could help the Switch get closer to 3DS.

jax

Banned
That sounds great, but none of that is ever going to happen.

The reality is nobody is going to want to play mario kart with the switch controllers, let alone four of them.
Even if they did, the battery life is going to make that particular play session just a dream.
The bigger reality is nobody is letting this leave the house.
NintendoSwitch_hardware_Wheel_01.jpg

20+ hour battery life.
Docked while playing.
While plugged into a pocket projector. ($100)

I stopped playing Splatoon after the first three days on Wii U (the day ranked came out?) and this new one is even less interesting because of the paid online.

jax

Banned
Conflicting statements.

But splatoon is good but doesn't have the history to make that prediction. And neither got the WiiU to set the world on fire.
But the Wii U was already an established failure by then. Also, it wasn't a portable.

jax

Banned
A $300 dollar portable hybrid the casuals won't buy, Instead will be playing 2 and 3 dollar games on 500 + million smartphones and tablets.
With that logic why would anyone buy any game console ever? There's a huge market of people who bought a Wii, never got another console, and are now ready for Wii 2. That's where Switch comes in.

If it's based on a 360/PS3 build then yes, it's literally an incomplete and lesser game.
Not confirmed.

DataGhost

From one presentation, I would say it won't be a success at launch but it should do better than the Wii U. However, I still don't know enough and I feel like there's more to come in the next two months

Hardware bump <> wii type sales lol.

Just like wii-u............

Niche Japanese games are not going to sell in any big numbers.

The Wii U doesn't define the Switch. Just because that didn't catch on, doesn't mean this won't. Nintendo learned what didn't work and developed solutions, didn't they? For example: consolidating all of their software on one platform, a more fully baked off-screen experience, and the motion control Joycons to provide the control method that made the Wii appealing to a wider audience.

Imports aren't supposed to sell in any big numbers, but region-free is a pretty cool thing. There's a reason Nintendo announced that right out of the gate.

Rodin

Nope. It literally has no games.

Might sell out on launch tho.

1-2 Switch
ARMS
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Heroes+Dragon Quest Heroes 2
FIFA
Fire Emblem Warriors
Has-Been Heroes
I am Setsuna
Just Dance 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Project Octopath Traveler
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
Shin Megami Tensei
Skylanders Imaginators
Snipperclips
Sonic Mania
Splatoon 2
Steep
Super Bomberman R
Super Mario Odyssey
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

These are only the games announced today, and it might miss something. That's a whole bunch of no games right there

Not confirmed.
D8sxR1.gif

How is the confirmation relevant? I said a PS3/360 port will not be a feature complete game. You said "Just because it's not a PS4 port doesn't mean it's an incomplete game" to which I correctly pointed out, a non-PS4/X1 port would be missing features like the PS3/360 versions. Now your reply is that it's not confirmed? Get a clue.

Canucked

But the Wii U was already an established failure by then. Also, it wasn't a portable.

That still doesn't get Splatoon to "shitload" sales status. It's not at that sales level until it actually moves a system. There (currently) no evidence to show what would sell a hybrid system in your "shitload" levels.

20+ hour battery life.
Docked while playing.
While plugged into a pocket projector. ($100)

nobody wants to play with those things.
It does not have 20+ hour battery life.
If it is docked while it is playing, why don't you just take your PS4?

The better option is to just get the wii out of the cupboard. That does not make for a promising future for the switch.

It can been seen more as a handheld.
3DS is the most selling gaming device. So Yes

That's why I chose mild improvements in the poll. A hybrid platform is absolutely necessary if Nintendo is going to continue playing it safe with their money. If it's the only real dedicated gaming portable in town that should help offset the high price of entry.

Yes from profit point of view. No from sales war point.

Business success is a revenues-game. Nintendo doesn't win any points from investors for simply not losing money.

Parapraxis

1-2 Switch
ARMS
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Heroes+Dragon Quest Heroes 2
FIFA
Fire Emblem Warriors
Has-Been Heroes
I am Setsuna
Just Dance 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Project Octopath Traveler
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
Retro Studios new project
Shin Megami Tensei
Skylanders Imaginators
Snipperclips
Sonic Mania
Splatoon 2
Steep
Super Bomberman R
Super Mario Odyssey
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Might miss something. That's a whole bunch of no games right there

That's what, the entire lineup for year 1? We've been over this extensively in this thread, the PS4 had 177 games over the first year. The Switch line up is nothing short of abysmal.

With that logic why would anyone buy any game console ever? There's a huge market of people who bought a Wii, never got another console, and are now ready for Wii 2. That's where Switch comes in.

They never got another console because smartphones and tablets happened.

KooopaKid

Banned
We're still uncertain Switch is 3DS's successor (No Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi, Yokai Watch and Level 5 in general announced).
Nintendo might be planning a true portable afterall besides Switch.

Hex

Banned
So say a huge Pokémon GO update is released (1v1 battles, trading and hundreds of new Pokémon), completely reigniting the phenomenon, released alongside Pokémon Stars for the Nintendo Switch.

Even if 1/10th of the massive amounts of people there bring a Switch with Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Pokémon, it's enough to ignite a massive chunk of people flooding to buy a Switch after seeing first hand what they're capable of.

I don't see this as a far fetched idea tbh. Only a small example of what we'll see when portable local multiplayer takes over.

Does the Switch have GPS? A three hour or so battery life will be killed rather quickly by people leaving this thing on trying to find Pokemon I would think.

That's what, the entire lineup for year 1? We've been over this extensively in this thread, the PS4 had 177 games over the first year. The Switch line up is nothing short of abysmal.
No? It's all they've announced for now. There's still E3 and such for them to reveal more.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Despite being personally underwhelmed with the lineup and the pricing, I think it's going to be massive sales wise.

Nintendo has brand power that I think some on GAF even forget.

Nintendo will probably undership for launch and afterwards but it'll be one of the hottest holiday items for Fall 2017.

With inevitable revisions the Switch will reach Wii levels of success in terms of sales.

jax

Banned
nobody wants to play with those things.
It does not have 20+ hour battery life.
If it is docked while it is playing, why don't you just take your PS4?

The better option is to just get the wii out of the cupboard. That does not make for a promising future for the switch.
Because a PS4 weighs 5 times more than a Switch and doesn't fit in your pocket? Are you serious with this?

I'm out guys. We'll see what happens with the Switch, but don't be surprised when it sees more success than you give it credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom