• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big publishers and developers are worried about services like Gamepass

PocoJoe

Banned
Its not like new games gets released on game pass the same day as launch. I actually bought lots of games thanks to the game pass. SURPRISEEEEE!

Enough with the drama already

Didn't outer world release on it?

I didnt buy it for ps4 because devs say that it is almost worthless, as it launched on game pass.

Mista

Banned
Didn't outer world release on it?

I didnt buy it for ps4 because devs say that it is almost worthless, as it launched on game pass.
Yes because Obsidian got acquired by Microsoft?

The point is AAA games are still making millions and not all games makes it day one on game pass + I don’t see any AAA game flopped because of game pass.

Mista

Banned
Game Pass is a breeding ground for mediocrity and Xbox are the enemy of real gamers.
mocking-spongebob-1556133078.jpg

mr.dilya

Banned
I guess we will get a lot more mid range games ("AA") now with game pass.
Which I think is awesome. Fuck that 700 people working on it open world game bullshit..

Exactly. So tired of AAA gaming, with 5 minute cut scenes and starring hollywood celebrities like Keannu Reaves or that Walking Dead guy. Bloated worlds with tedious fetch quests disguised as "depth." Who needs that bullshit.

The most fun I had gaming recently was Ion Fury and Hollowknight. I want more games like that.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Naughty Dog have around 200 people working on a single game.
I'm talking about the likes of BioWare and Bungie who have almost 800 developers yet their games are... not that good.

Then there's also Rockstar who had around 800 devs working on RDR2, sure there's a lot of detail in that game, but it's arguably less fun to play than RDR1 or GTAV.
Naughty Dog puts most of their staff on one project with a small incubation team to start up their next project. Unless they just changed their strategy for the next generation

Hobbygaming

Exactly. So tired of AAA gaming, with 5 minute cut scenes and starring hollywood celebrities like Keannu Reaves or that Walking Dead guy. Bloated worlds with tedious fetch quests disguised as "depth." Who needs that bullshit.

The most fun I had gaming recently was Ion Fury and Hollowknight. I want more games like that.
What about games like The Witcher 3, Resident Evil, TLOU, that do AAA right?

mr.dilya

Banned
What about games like The Witcher 3, Resident Evil, TLOU, that do AAA right?

I think those games can still exist, the problem now is that there are too many games trying to climb that AAA mountain and failing miserably.

let those experiences be exceptional, but I don’t need every mediocre game trying to copy them and then charging me 60 dollars plus tax for garbage.

12Dannu123

The only reason why people are complaining is because of Fanboys and also because Publishers and along with Sony and Nintendo are all guaranteed not being able to compete with Microsoft on this model. Many of these publishers and platform holders have Gaming as their core business. Sony and Nintendo are no exception to this rule.

PS and Nintendo will not likely be able to survive long on this model. Microsoft/Xbox can because Xbox is not a core business so Microsoft has the luxury to use a disruptive business model to ruin their competitors.

The market will decide if the Netflix model for games is worth it. If it is, it's very questionable if PS and Nintendo with their current games will be around. Because of the race to the bottom model while increasing output.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

The only reason why people are complaining is because of Fanboys and also because Publishers and along with Sony and Nintendo are all guaranteed not being able to compete with Microsoft on this model. Many of these publishers and platform holders have Gaming as their core business. Sony and Nintendo are no exception to this rule.

PS and Nintendo will not likely be able to survive long on this model. Microsoft/Xbox can because Xbox is not a core business so Microsoft has the luxury to use a disruptive business model to ruin their competitors.

The market will decide if the Netflix model for games is worth it. If it is, it's very questionable if PS and Nintendo with their current games will be around. Because of the race to the bottom model while increasing output.
This isn't a fanboy thing, it's a keeping the AAA space healthy thing. I don't want a future focused on mostly filler MP games and if developers are worried...

We should be worried

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This isn't a fanboy thing, it's a keeping the AAA space healthy thing. I don't want a future focused on mostly filler MP games and if developers are worried...

We should be worried
But why are you worried about AAA games? The only big name games going to GP right away in console gaming are MS Studios very own games. And some others like Metro Exodus and some other games that are smaller, which got MS partnership deals to be on GP. Nobody is forcing any third party to be on GP.

GP and PS Now have been around for years, and there seems to be zero effect on AAA games out there.

EA even has their own EA Access and Origin Access with a Premier option too for day one games. EA doesn't seem to mind sub plans either.

So if some companies like Sony, MS, EA, UBI and others have sub plan deals and various third parties are willing to partner up, why are you so scared? All the usual AAA games are still there and selling.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

But why are you worried about AAA games? The only big name games going to GP right away in console gaming are MS Studios very own games. And some others like Metro Exodus and some other games that are smaller, which got MS partnership deals to be on GP. Nobody is forcing any third party to be on GP.

GP and PS Now have been around for years, and there seems to be zero effect on AAA games out there.

EA even has their own EA Access and Origin Access with a Premier option too for day one games. EA doesn't seem to mind sub plans either.

So if some companies like Sony, MS, EA, UBI and others have sub plan deals and various third parties are willing to partner up, why are you so scared? All the usual AAA games are still there and selling.
The reason that I'm worried about AAA games is the same reason developers are worried

Gamepass devalues $60 games and changes spending habits for the worse. I don't want quality to go down or studios to be shuttered because of these studios not making enough return on their investments, otherwise I wouldn't care

Neofire

The reason that I'm worried about AAA games is the same reason developers are worried

Gamepass devalues $60 games and changes spending habits for the worse. I don't want quality to go down or studios to be shuttered because of these studios not making enough return on their investments, otherwise I wouldn't care
Bingo, I do not want console and pc gaming to turn into mobile gaming tier shovel-ware. Just so they can milk millions of dollars out of lazy bits of content.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

You're assuming all these sub plans are killing games, especially AAA.

They've been around for years (not sure about UBI..... their sub plan might be the newest one out of all the sub plans out there?) yet game sales are great, and AAA games are still selling.

You're assuming gamers will avoid AAA games and go cheap with sub plans playing indie kinds of games. Maybe that will happen. I don't see any proof of that happening now.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You're assuming all these sub plans are killing games, especially AAA.

They've been around for years (not sure about UBI..... their sub plan might be the newest one out of all the sub plans out there?) yet game sales are great, and AAA games are still selling.

You're assuming gamers will avoid AAA games and go cheap with sub plans playing indie kinds of games. Maybe that will happen. I don't see any proof of that happening now.
Personally, it's not the buying habits of consumers I'm concerned about (though we have ample evidence from Steam sales and mobile market to show what customer habits emerge and what devs must do).

Rather, it is the arc these subscription services naturally follow. We've seen it over and over with TV/movie/music streaming and it goes something like this:

1. Upstart enters the market with bold loss-leader strategies to scoop up subscribers. This is easy when the market is young but grows more competitive as time marches on. This is the phase when the prices are best and the deals for the customers are most lucrative.

2. Upstart's initial business model begins to shift as competition enters the market and profit margins thin. This is when they hike the subscription model's price and/or trim some of the offerings.

3. Upstart must consider brokering some serious deals and/or create brand-new content themselves to entice and lock consumers in. This is due to new upstarts entering the market at Step 1 with lucrative offerings that the entrenched brand can rarely compete with.

4. Entrenched company ceases to be a one-stop shop and gradually transitions into a branded store with exclusive content. This is usually where we start seeing companies post insanely-large losses as they are pushed out / eaten up.

5. Company survives as one brand out of several with a much smaller market percentage than before.

And Game Pass is starting the process at Step 3 (creating content to entice and lock consumers in).

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I wonder which publishers they are, it’s obviously not Sega, Square, THQ, Capcom, Bethesda , Namco, Id, WB, or 2K.

All that leaves really is EA, Activision and Ubisoft.

The only reason why these devs are mad is because Microsoft is the only offering some sort of modern day equivalent of a demo. Most of these publishers dont do any store demos or public demos how else are we suspose to try out games mod out our consoles and pirate. These publishers want you to go and buy there games with little to no recourse dont get fooled they like selling broken half made games with a smile on there face.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The only reason why these devs are mad is because Microsoft is the only offering some sort of modern day equivalent of a demo. Most of these publishers dont do any store demos or public demos how else are we suspose to try out games mod out our consoles and pirate. These publishers want you to go and buy there games with little to no recourse dont get fooled they like selling broken half made games with a smile on there face.
Good point.

Ya, what the fuck happened to all those demos and XBL/PSN trials like last gen? Almost every game got it. And even Xbox's indie game thing had I think 5 or 10 minute trials.

Now, there's hardly any demos???

And talking about no recourse, you knows what's funny?

If you read the Terms of Service (like that page or two at the back of instruction manuals), they will say if you don't agree to the terms, return the game.......... Yet if you open it, you can't return it because you opened it. So how is someone supposed to read and follow T&S policies if they have to opened it first?

HolyTruth

Banned
“Executives at major video game studios “

Is a cop out to me. Put your name on it or it ain’t real.

It’s not like this is NDA info or something.

The anonymity makes me call BS on this article. Seems the writer just wanted clicks.

yup. Just create a controversy where there is none.
it’s like all the stupid articles where there is a single tweet and the article acted like the whole „twitter community is outraged“. Lol

mcjmetroid

This is probably certainly what publishers will eventually want you to think yes.

You're ahead of the game on that one.

HolyTruth

Banned

lol AAA games and quality 😂👍 just look at fallout 76. AAA are not quality anymore bruh.
And they are not worth $60. why else are they full of micro-transactions?
Also, it’s not like the Games get released and then instantly jump on gamepass.
GTA V is several YEARS old and was just added to gamepass.
Millions of people already bought the game and you are telling me that publishers are losing money now?
By that sense then, well USED GAMES AND GAMESTOP ARE DESTROYING AAA!!! Buying a game just for few dollars is devalues the whole Industry!

Oh and the YEAR END SALE, the SPRING SALE, The SUMMER SALE, the Black Friday sale, THEY ALL DEVALUE AAA GAMING!!! But wait, who is doing and allowing all those sales? Uh. The publishers duh.

but this is all fine, only gamepass is bad, because reasons... (or because Microsoft is doing this and not Sony, hence it’s a bad thing. If it would be the other way around it would be literally the best thing and most pro-customer thing in existence.)

HolyTruth

Banned
I wonder which publishers they are, it’s obviously not Sega, Square, THQ, Capcom, Bethesda , Namco, Id, WB, or 2K.

All that leaves really is EA, Activision and Ubisoft.

cant be EA. they have their own EA ACCESS even Long Time before gamepass.

cant be Ubisoft. They have Ubisoft uplay+:

so, only activision. But then the headline is wrong, because he is talking about Big PUBLISHERS (plural). As I said, this whole article is full of shit and just a lie.

just to stir a conversation, just to get clicks. Like This buzzfeed crap.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
Subscription services always end up being ass. Just look at netflix and what not. When you are not selling the artwork directly to costumer but in an packaaged deal. The feed back gets construed.

paying upfront for a product is the best way to ensure quality .

Hobbygaming

This is probably certainly what publishers will eventually want you to think yes.

You're ahead of the game on that one.
It's common sense when you factor in how much it costs to make most AAA games these days

And if you have more and more people paying for cheap services instead of buying games....

Hobbygaming

lol AAA games and quality 😂👍 just look at fallout 76. AAA are not quality anymore bruh.
And they are not worth $60. why else are they full of micro-transactions?
Also, it’s not like the Games get released and then instantly jump on gamepass.
GTA V is several YEARS old and was just added to gamepass.
Millions of people already bought the game and you are telling me that publishers are losing money now?
By that sense then, well USED GAMES AND GAMESTOP ARE DESTROYING AAA!!! Buying a game just for few dollars is devalues the whole Industry!

Oh and the YEAR END SALE, the SPRING SALE, The SUMMER SALE, the Black Friday sale, THEY ALL DEVALUE AAA GAMING!!! But wait, who is doing and allowing all those sales? Uh. The publishers duh.

but this is all fine, only gamepass is bad, because reasons... (or because Microsoft is doing this and not Sony, hence it’s a bad thing. If it would be the other way around it would be literally the best thing and most pro-customer thing in existence.)
I can list a bunch of quality AAA games

The Witcher 3
Resident Evil 2 remake
Sekiro
Uncharted 4
God of War
Spider-man
Horizon Zero Dawn
Resident Evil 7
Nier Automata

The list goes on and on

And at least game sales still encourages gamers to *buy* games

You couldn't be more wrong on that last point. I hope Sony never puts their games on PS Now at release because that would mean we'd start to see a negative shift in quality

Ya evil Xbox forcing these companies to put there games on the service. And all thse developers have said how its not profitable at all. NOE of them make money. please.

........actually no. lots of developers have said gamepass has been great for them. No developers needs to put there game on gamepass. They are choosing too for a reason.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Why?

I am Brazilian and companies/corporations are commonly treated as "she" in most cases... I am sorry if that offended you.

Who said I was offended? I just found it weird. Like a lot of things Brazilians post on here.

Iced Arcade

Kotick is the boss if the top 1 console publisher, they make a lot of money elsewhere. But it isn't the case of other dozens thousands of gaming companies. Top AAA publishers are less than 0.1% of all the game developer or publishers companies.
"Big publishers and developers are worried about services like Gamepass"

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Exactly, because they dont have to, and neither does any game dev
What happens when games stop selling due to these services

AAA games are already risky enough

I'd be afraid too if I was a developer
dDvf3z3.jpg

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned

What happens when they have the same effect on gaming that netflix had on Marvel?

Look at another example in the media realm. Disney+ and The Mandalorion. Straight to streaming and considered top quality.

Both things are possible and indeed happening. Its an option. Devs can pick what works best for them. They just have one more option than before.

I'd be afraid too if I was a developer
dDvf3z3.jpg

That same tweet chain has developers like Cory Barlog or whatever saying subs are fine as an option. That’s all they’ll ever be is an option.

And if publishers are scared of AAA games being affected by this then maybe they should make their games more valuable.

Hobbygaming

As an option I do agree with you but when you give people today the option of "rent" for $2 or buy for $60 well...

Let's hope the market doesn't go full on service so that games won't be watered down for these services

Top Bottom