• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Biggest ever' antivenom dose saves boy bitten by funnel-web spider in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky News so pinch of salt sometimes required
http://news.sky.com/story/biggest-e...en-by-funnel-web-spider-in-australia-10779509

Matthew Mitchell required what is believed to be the largest dose of antivenom ever administered in Australia - 12 vials in total - after experiencing numerous convulsions.

"It sort of clawed on to me and all the legs and everything crawled around my finger and I couldn't get it off," he told Australia's Daily Telegraph.

The youngster from Berkeley Vale in New South Wales was helping his father clear out a shed at their home when he was bitten on a finger by a funnel-web spider which was inside one of his shoes. His family rushed him to hospital where he was given the antivenom - an unheard-of amount, according to the Australian Reptile Park, which runs a antivenom milking programme.

"I've never heard of it, it's incredible," the park's general manager Tim Faulkner told the Australian Associated Press on Friday.

"To walk out of hospital a day later with no effects is a testament to the antivenom."

The funnel-web spider is native to Australia and can kill a human in less than 15 minutes.

"It would have been a fatal bite (without antivenom) there's little to no doubt of that," said Mr Faulkner.

"A small child is more vulnerable - but that bite would have killed an adult."

The offending spider was captured and taken to the reptile park, located north of Sydney.

Last month the facility released a video showing people how to collect funnel-web spiders safely.

The park is the only supplier of venom to the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories, which provides medical professionals with the antivenom to cure snake and funnel-web spider bites.

To keep up the supply of venoms the staff regularly 'milk' more than 300 snakes and 500 spiders that are included in the programme.

akira28

almost makes you think of american spiders with fondness. Or at least think of the size of the Pacific Ocean with fondness.

how do you milk a snake

Like this

hqdefault.jpg

wkyWfD.gif

Monocle

That poor spider thought it had found a way to feed its whole family for life. No more hunting. A peaceful early retirement raising the kids.

The streak continues, of no recorded deaths from funnel-webs spiders since their antivenom was introduced in 1981. Well done to everyone involved. :)

Paz

Captured and taken to a sanctuary? Just step on it holy shit. Learn we nothing from the movie Arachnophobia

Taken to the place where they milk them for venom to be used to create the antivenom, I can't think of a more appropriate thing to be done.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The offending spider was captured and taken to the reptile park, located north of Sydney.

Australia can't even get basic zoology right.

This is why y'all got all these lethal animal problems.

Mohonky

How common are they in Australia? They don't mill about in peoples shed on a regular basis, do they?

Well actually yeh thats pretty much where you can find them, they are pretty common.

Red Backs are fucking everywhere. We had the house and shed done and its starting to wear off as Ive seen a few starting to pop up again as well as other spiders, but before it was done you'd find a half dozen of them at any one time hiding out on garden hose reels, all over the sheds, anything in the garden that never really got disturbed, on shoe racks, all through gutters etc. Literally have the bastards hiding everywhere.

Enough of them you'd lose count.

You kind of just learn from a young age where you dont put your hands without looking first. Going to water the garden? Check the hose reel. Going to use the air compressor? Check under and around the tank. Need to get something from the shed? Yeh those fuckers gonna be everywhere.

Same with snakes. You know where they'll be, so you either avoid the place, check first or do something to discourage them from hanging out (ie. Keep grass short, sort out any mice / rat problems), dont leave hiding places like piles of wood or other bits and pieces around the yard.

I had to go help a neighbour who had a snake in the yard, she saw it come into the yard but lost track of where it is, she asked me if it would stay there or want to leave...Im looking around the yard; old tyres, piles of wood, yard had patches of long grass all over the place, pet guinea pigs, chooks, the smell of a dead rat the dogs got to....it was like Snake Disneyland. I just told her she had pretty mich the best Snake hang out available and I had no idea where to even begin looking for it because everywhere was perfect.

It was only a Carpet Python from the picture I saw, but that probably wouldnt have been too comforting for the guinea pigs and chooks.

Well actually yeh thats pretty much where you can find them, they are pretty common.

Red Backs are fucking everywhere. We had the house and shed done and its starting to wear off as Ive seen a few starting to pop up again as well as other spiders, but before it was done you'd find a half dozen of them at any one time hiding out on garden hose reels, all over the sheds, anything in the garden that never really got disturbed, on shoe racks, all through gutters etc. Literally have the bastards hiding everywhere.

You kind of just learn from a young age where you dont put your hands without looking first. Going to water the garden? Check the hose reel. Going to use the air compressor? Check under and around the tank. Need to get something from the shed? Yeh those fuckers gonna be everywhere.

Same with snakes. You know where they'll be, so you either avoid the place, check first or do something to discourage them from hanging out (ie. Keep grass short, sort out any mice / rat problems), dont leave hiding places like piles of wood or other bits and pieces around the yard.

I had to go help a neighbour who had a snake in the yard, she saw it come into the yard but lost track of where it is, she asked me if it would stay there or want to leave...Im looking around the yard; old tyres, piles of wood, yard had patches of long grass all over the place, pet guinea pigs, chooks, the smell of a dead rat the dogs got to....it was like Snake Disneyland. I just told her she had pretty mich the best Snake hang out available and I had no idea where to even begin looking for it because everywhere was perfect.

It was only a Carpet Python from the picture I saw, but that probably wouldnt have been too comforting for the guinea pigs and chooks.

Everyone say "Fuuuuuck" together.

So I guess, be really, really tidy if you have a garden, and try not to go to the shed if you've had a few beers as your senses won't be sharp.

Do they ever come IN to your house? There are stories of them living under toilet seats etc?

Luigiv

So I guess, be really, really tidy if you have a garden, and try not to go to the shed if you've had a few beers as your senses won't be sharp.

Do they ever come IN to your house? There are stories of them living under toilet seats etc?
Funnel web spiders can be easily avoided by living on the best coast.

WHY DO HUMAN BEINGS LIVE IN AUSTRALIA

OMG ALL OF THIS SOUNDS SO SCARY

Makes me feel happy and safe that I live in the UK. Land of no dangerous animals.

TwiztidElf

lol. ain;t that the truth. i dont poke my hands around in my shed where i can't see.

Mohonky

Yeh if you have areas of the house you dont use often guaranteed Redbacks will setup shop. Redbacks are seriously just everywhere, yes, including under your toilet.

Funnel webs arent really where I live, but they go into homes and stuff yeh. I gueas you just get used to it.

Azzurri

So everyday you wake up and step outside you're gambling with your life.

Apt101

I always shake and check my shoes before putting them on. I am friends with a guy who's brother was bitten by a brown recluse that was in his shoe. Lost a toe and almost the whole foot. To this day he says it still hurts sometimes.

Check your shoes people.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I bet horses were waiting with baited breath to see if spiders finally notched a fatality this century. Nope, stay losing Australian horses.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Dad taught me to always knock my shoes facing downward before I put them on. Never had so much as a beetle fall out but its a practice I plan to keep until death.

bigJP

what the hell!!!
you need to check your shoes before wearing them? what kind of hell is this.
thank god i live in Canada where its too cold for these fuckers to live.

Macka

I live in Sydney, but I've never seen a wild Funnel Web before. Red Backs are really common but they're also pretty placid - I got one on my hand as a kid when I was trying to catch a lizard and it didn't bite me.

Kinda crazy that nobody's died from a Funnel Web in decades though. If they can kill you in fifteen minutes, it seems unlikely that you'd be able to get the person to the hospital in time. Do the ambo's have every antivenom on-hand at all times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom