• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutant red funnel web spider found in Australia. Bonus: Spider crawls out of banana

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/29305447/mutant-blood-red-funnel-web-spider-a-unique-specimen/

200815_spider_art_2.jpg

Scientists from the Australian National University found the red-imbued Atrax sutherlandi, a close relation to the deadly Sydney funnel-web, while on a collecting trip in NSW.

Invertebrate zoologist Mark Wong told Australian Geographic he and his team were picking through a vast network of webs when the spider measuring about 5cm long jumped out at him.

"Before I knew it, boom! She had rushed out of her silken lair with her legs raised and fangs greeting me with glistening venom," Wong said.

"Instantly taken aback by her colours, I knew there and then, this was something special."

The female had a two-tone black and red motif, brought on by what the arachnophile described as a pigment "mutation".

Red hues are not uncommon in funnel-web species, yet they generally appear on their underside, but Wong said this colourful critter was special because it lacked darker pigments.

"So what we are seeing in this particular specimen may be a case where the genes for red pigment are being expressed in the wrong tissue," he said.

The story also has an unrelated video at the bottom of a spider crawling out of a banana and it is the stuff of nightmares.

As an Australian I found these hilarious because of our reputation on the internet.

Mohonky

I bet its racist

Quite glad we dont have those around here, just gotta watch out for inland Taipans instead. Pick your poison....

"Before I knew it, boom! She had rushed out of her silken lair with her legs raised and fangs greeting me with glistening venom," Wong said.

"Instantly taken aback by her colours, I knew there and then, this was something special."

This reads like the beginning of Monster Musume fanfiction.

Linus

Neo Member
My friend used the be the fruit and veg manager at Safeway supermarket and he said the amount of spiders coming out of banana crates was ridiculous. He used to be scared of them but that job cured him.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't get why Australia is so super protective of its fauna. The sooner that shit's pushing up the daisies the better I say.

God was obviously drunk, you'd be doing him a favor.

Rapstah

I would like to put these lines in the middle of a completely unrelated news story and see if anyone would notice.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ahh, ye ol funnel web, the spider that hates everything and can bite through your shoes.

eXistor

Wtf, it looks like there are human faces inside the spider's body. I can't be the only one seeing this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom