• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Deadly' spiders found in supermarket bananas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zushin

iAAZ2MpXTZdEa.gif

... and I live in Australia too...

Lehow

Toxi

Banned
There are multiple species in the genus Phoneutria, as well as many spiders with similar features (red pedipalps) found in banana shipments. The "most dangerous spider" everyone likes to talk about (P. nigrevenator) tends to live more inland, with much less venomous species appearing near coastal banana plantations. Even then, the vast majority of spiders found in banana shipments tend to be harmless.

Both pest control companies and the media fucking love to exaggerate the danger of spiders. It's why so many people are convinced a brown recluse killed Jeff Hanneman. Take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Toxi

Banned
Why are people afraid of spiders? I mean venomous ones obviously, but what is it that's particularly terrifying about spiders more so than other insects? No one would say it's an irrational fear but I don't know what the rational reason is. Is it's "look" inherent scary to people's brains or something?

E: Never mind. History and natural selection for people avoiding them or something.
Culture. There is no selective advantage to being afraid of spiders. They are everywhere and the vast majority are harmless, so 99.9% of the time, it's irrational and a disadvantage. You do not want to be distracted by spiders when hunting down a mammoth.

velociraptor

I hate spiders so much.

I have a basement (in an outbuilding) and we have to keep the window open for ventilation but we see tons of bugs crawling in.

I better buy a hoover so I can suck those cunts up.

I hate spiders so much.

I have a basement (in an outbuilding) and we have to keep the window open for ventilation but we see tons of bugs crawling in.

I better buy a hoover so I can suck those cunts up.

Your hoover bag will soon explode, revealing thousands of baby spiders ready to invade the whole neighbourhood.

javac

I slept in my little Brothers bed last Saturday because of a spider :(

Hoovered it up the next day after mustering up the courage.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm going to stop eating anything forever now. Thanks GAF!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I sometimes wonder if internet reaction about spiders is exaggerated or intentional. Like that tarantula eggs thing - they're like one of the least aggressive spiders. Or that torching a (possibly fake) spider which seems to be more dangerous than having a spider itself.

Like I'm ever gonna click this
It's pretty... fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom