• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Biggest ever' antivenom dose saves boy bitten by funnel-web spider in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

It still makes no sense to me that a spider who hunts small prey, has enough power in its venom to kill a human.

Yeah I'm not far south of Sydney and in my 37 years I have only ever seen a couple which had been caught in a jar... They have a real temper too, they flare up and try to go you through the glass!

Like others have said, we learn from a young age where to be careful... Like you would be super careful picking up a house brick or something like that.
As for shoes, I ALWAYS bring mine inside!

Australia sounds more dangerous than it is, we live with some awesome creatures but people are rarely killed by them... I think sharks and crocs would be the biggest people killers.

Toxi

Banned
Is that a funnel web? FUCKING FANGS.
Australian funnelwebs are Mygalomorphs, like tarantulas. They have fangs facing downwards and overall more primitive morphology than most other spiders, the Araneomorphs.

What do horses have to do with this?
Antivenin is created by injecting venom into an animal (usually a horse) to make antibodies and collecting theit blood.

how do you milk a snake

GZiT4su.png

Dad taught me to always knock my shoes facing downward before I put them on. Never had so much as a beetle fall out but its a practice I plan to keep until death.

I actually do the same, though I don't live in Australia. I do it to check for scorpions, which I have found a few in my shoes before. I bet my chance of survival in Australia would be pretty good, as I live in Arizona, which is like a more tame version of Australia.

Well actually yeh thats pretty much where you can find them, they are pretty common.

Red Backs are fucking everywhere. We had the house and shed done and its starting to wear off as Ive seen a few starting to pop up again as well as other spiders, but before it was done you'd find a half dozen of them at any one time hiding out on garden hose reels, all over the sheds, anything in the garden that never really got disturbed, on shoe racks, all through gutters etc. Literally have the bastards hiding everywhere.

Enough of them you'd lose count.

You kind of just learn from a young age where you dont put your hands without looking first. Going to water the garden? Check the hose reel. Going to use the air compressor? Check under and around the tank. Need to get something from the shed? Yeh those fuckers gonna be everywhere.

Same with snakes. You know where they'll be, so you either avoid the place, check first or do something to discourage them from hanging out (ie. Keep grass short, sort out any mice / rat problems), dont leave hiding places like piles of wood or other bits and pieces around the yard.

I had to go help a neighbour who had a snake in the yard, she saw it come into the yard but lost track of where it is, she asked me if it would stay there or want to leave...Im looking around the yard; old tyres, piles of wood, yard had patches of long grass all over the place, pet guinea pigs, chooks, the smell of a dead rat the dogs got to....it was like Snake Disneyland. I just told her she had pretty mich the best Snake hang out available and I had no idea where to even begin looking for it because everywhere was perfect.

It was only a Carpet Python from the picture I saw, but that probably wouldnt have been too comforting for the guinea pigs and chooks.

This story ruined my day.

Kinda crazy that nobody's died from a Funnel Web in decades though. If they can kill you in fifteen minutes, it seems unlikely that you'd be able to get the person to the hospital in time. Do the ambo's have every antivenom on-hand at all times?

Not generally.
First aid instruction about venoms is pretty good, as is awareness of prevention & precaution methodology. Some of the bigger hospitals will keep antivenins' on hand, but unless you're fairly rural, most don't... they're expensive, and expire.

Well actually yeh thats pretty much where you can find them, they are pretty common.

Red Backs are fucking everywhere. We had the house and shed done and its starting to wear off as Ive seen a few starting to pop up again as well as other spiders, but before it was done you'd find a half dozen of them at any one time hiding out on garden hose reels, all over the sheds, anything in the garden that never really got disturbed, on shoe racks, all through gutters etc. Literally have the bastards hiding everywhere.

You kind of just learn from a young age where you dont put your hands without looking first. Going to water the garden? Check the hose reel. Going to use the air compressor? Check under and around the tank. Need to get something from the shed? Yeh those fuckers gonna be everywhere.

Same with snakes. You know where they'll be, so you either avoid the place, check first or do something to discourage them from hanging out (ie. Keep grass short, sort out any mice / rat problems), dont leave hiding places like piles of wood or other bits and pieces around the yard.

I had to go help a neighbour who had a snake in the yard, she saw it come into the yard but lost track of where it is, she asked me if it would stay there or want to leave...Im looking around the yard; old tyres, piles of wood, yard had patches of long grass all over the place, pet guinea pigs, chooks, the smell of a dead rat the dogs got to....it was like Snake Disneyland. I just told her she had pretty mich the best Snake hang out available and I had no idea where to even begin looking for it because everywhere was perfect.

It was only a Carpet Python from the picture I saw, but that probably wouldnt have been too comforting for the guinea pigs and chooks.

Suddenly I understand why supervillains want to destroy the world

Hastati

This thread is incredibly disturbing, and I hate spiders, but I still want to see one of these guys in person. Sooooooo freaky. And I still definitely want to go to Australia, as long as I don't have to clean any sheds.

It amazes me how many species of spiders can be harmful to large mammals. Even in Seattle I get a good dozen or so hobo spiders invading my room every summer, once woke up with a welt the size of my fist that lasted about a month, wondering what the hell had happened till I found out it was from them. Spiders are nasty little buggers.

Ogodei

What do horses have to do with this?

Separately, horses are how they make the antivenom, which is just a whole lot of antibodies from a host non-lethally exposed to the venom, usually horses because they're big enough to take it and tame enough to cooperate.

Whatever. The article doesn't explain so why?

I think they just keep feeding antivenom until they recover or die.

The father-of-two suffered the “worst bite ever seen” when a funnel-web’s fangs sunk into his neck after putting a work shirt on that had been airing on a back deck in February 2015 and “died” several times in the back of the ambulance until he made it to John Hunter Hospital where he was given four vials.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e/news-story/445d8f98ac6cf02601572e9a9896f391

Kyzon

Genie-Jaw-Drop.gif

What the fuck, dude?!?!

I'll just never visit Australia.

Gravidee

I always shake and check my shoes before putting them on. I am friends with a guy who's brother was bitten by a brown recluse that was in his shoe. Lost a toe and almost the whole foot. To this day he says it still hurts sometimes.

Check your shoes people.

I sometimes wear shoes barefoot in. Luckily there's not much need to worry when you live in Canada....right?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I always found it fascinating how in the case of the funnel webs, the female is completely harmless, aside from the massive sword like fangs. It's the males who are deadly to humans. It's strange because usually male spiders are tiny and shitty. So nature, once it realized that the males were the deadly ones, made them female sized and angry as fuck. Just cause.

I sometimes wear shoes barefoot in. Luckily there's not much need to worry when you live in Canada....right?

You have to worry about moose attacks. I have a Canadian friend who sent me the documentary, and the only thing that stops them is timbits. Yes she was laughing while she told me this, why do you ask?

I guess I'm lucky, I live in Australia and have never seen a funnel web spider. I've seen dozens and dozens of Huntsman spiders over the years (they're fast and can be kinda big but they're pretty much harmless) but I've only seen one redback in person. I haven't come across any snakes either.

Good to hear that the antivenin is still doing its job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom