• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bink 2 runs faster on PS4 GPU than XB1 GPU, but same on either CPU

But this is perhaps the first solid instance of the PS4′s GPU being superior.

Probably won't see developers take advantage of that extra power till a couple of years into the generation, might even only see first parties use it ...

by the way I just woke up from a coma I was in since Oct 2013, what did I miss?

TEH-CJ

Banned
Sorry guys, this is just the GPU. Don't get too excited. We all know that a console is the sum of it's parts and a Corvette with 9 million horsepower can lose in a race to a Porsche with a paltry 500. You have to look at the tires, the fuel, the transmission and most importantly the driver. This is very well a victory for the PS4, albeit a small one.

Is this sarcasm? I don't understand the logic behind this. The PS4 is superior to the xbone in every aspect, not just the GPU.

There's no way Microsoft would give Sony that kind of advantage.

Microsoft is sitting on billions of dollars. They will pay off everyone. There's no way something like call of duty would be 720p on the xbox and 1080p on the ps4. Microsoft would just throw money at them until they forced parity.

Still cracks me up that people were sooooooo paranoid about this before launch

Zeppeli

Banned
Microsoft is sitting on billions of dollars. They will pay off everyone. There's no way something like call of duty would be 720p on the xbox and 1080p on the ps4. Microsoft would just throw money at them until they forced parity.

but hey
maybe amazon will chuck that money out there to get parity for the xbone!

Freki

Wasn't it your rumor that MS paid 3rd parties at e3 to not show or mention the ps4 version? Sorry if I'm mixing you up with someone else.

it can play 4K video frames (3840×2160) in 4 ms on PCs and 11 ms on Sony PS4 or Xbox One using the CPU only (or 1.4 ms and 2.3 ms using GPU acceleration)!

1.4ms to 2.3ms doesn't sound like a very big difference. PC to console sounds like a very big difference though (4ms to 11ms).

So far the only benefit PS4 seems to be getting out of the hardware difference is higher native resolution which is a somewhat minimized benefit by things like upscaling, the fact that console gamers sit much further from their TVs than PC gamers, and the fact that some people only have 1080i/720p displays (especially under 32"). In terms of geometry, texture quality, lighting, shadows there doesn't at this point seem to be any significant difference of the two consoles. If you put the best looking XBO exclusives up against the best looking PS4 exclusives it would be very hard for the average person to tell which platform is more powerful.

This difference in power is not like PS2 vs. Xbox yet it is getting far more hype/attention (at least in core gamer forums).

I don't see where it compares the ps4 and the xbox, it only lists numbers for ps4 and pc?

Anyhow why would you need a benchmark to compare them? same exact architecture one has 12 cus the other 18, the numbers for fillrate and rops are known as well and they run at almost identical clockspeeds, you can't get a more straightforward comparison than that

javac

Yes, all those multiplatform games with a 100% difference in framerate or resolution didn't indicate that at all. Nope!

To be fair 360 multi-platform titles looked better than PS3 counterparts at launch. It's obvious PS4 is much more powerful but games looking better on one system than another at launch isn't always an indication. If it makes you feel any better I have no vested interest in either and know for a fact PS4 is more powerful.

Probably won't see developers take advantage of that extra power till a couple of years into the generation, might even only see first parties use it ...

by the way I just woke up from a coma I was in since Oct 2013, what did I miss?

5.3 million PS4 sales, some gif's and Ellen Page coming out

Zeppeli

Banned
To be fair 360 multi-platform titles looked better than PS3 counterparts at launch. It's obvious PS4 is much more powerful but games looking better on one system than another at launch isn't always an indication. If it makes you feel any better I have no vested interest in either and know for a fact PS4 is more powerful.

that was because not even the guys who made the cell knew how to use the bloody thing

This difference in power is not like PS2 vs. Xbox yet it is getting far more hype/attention (at least in core gamer forums).

The Xbox came out approximately 18 months after the PS2, the PS4 came out a week before the XB1

The OG Xbox was priced higher on its release then the PS2 was priced at the time whereas the XB1 is priced higher than the PS4 was at its release

It's a very different situation

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That last sentence is so goddamn funny.

The CPU being exactly the same on both cases is interesting since before it sounded like XBO had a slightly higher clock speed. I wonder if AMD upped the clocks of both and Sony just didn't find it necessary to tell the public since they were staying quiet on the CPU. Either that or it's just plain close enough to not make any difference.

For some reason Strider has no AF on PS4 but does on XBO. Probably a bug.

ascii42

The Xbox came out approximately 18 months after the PS2, the PS4 came out a week before the XB1

The OG Xbox was priced higher on its release then the PS2 was priced at the time whereas the XB1 is priced higher than the PS4 was at its release

In the US, at least, the PS2 and Xbox were both $299 when the Xbox came out. The PS2 dropped to $199 about 6 months later and the Xbox followed suit.

gruenel

But misterxmedia said xbox is gonna have a new wave of dev tools that unlock the power and have ray tracing in games.

You don't even want to know how many people believe this shit.

On reddit there are loads of people who think every game will be 1080p60 after this new magical SDK hits.

It's quite sad to watch.

The ps3 gpu was no more powerful than the xbox 360 one and noone knew how to use the cpu
There's things the ps3 can do better because of the spus and there's things the xbox 360 can do better due to the memory setup
There is nothing the xbox one can do better and it is significantly less powerful as well as having a really big bottleneck in the memory set up

There really is nothing more to it, ps4 hardware isn't anything amazing, the xbone is just much weaker

In the US, at least, the PS2 and Xbox were both $299 when the Xbox came out. The PS2 dropped to $199 about 6 months later and the Xbox followed suit.

I may have been thinking of European prices then. My memory for launch prices isn't so good to be honest

What is the advantage of using Bink over, say, h264?

There isn't any for the PS4 and Xbone, both of which have AMD GPUs which have an integrated H.264 hardware decoder. Bink is shit and should have died a very long ago but game devs keep using it and I wish they would stop.

Tommy DJ

1.4ms to 2.3ms doesn't sound like a very big difference. PC to console sounds like a very big difference though (4ms to 11ms).

That PC comparison is between the CPU. With the benchmark limited to 4 cores. No shit Sherlock: when you limit core usage, it won't win again Intel in a IPC contest.

That's fine, but the issue is really then the price, not the power.

Point being, it wouldn't matter what price the Wii U was because at any price the hardware is too weak to run games that are competitive or comparable to PS4. If you want PS4/XBO quality of games/graphics you're not going to buy a Wii U. This issue of graphics disparity doesn't apply to the XBO. Let's keep in mind there were exaggerated reports prior to launch that XBO was closer to a Wii U competitor than a PS4 competitor. At this point some would even say the exclusive games on XBO look slightly better than PS4.

BTW, Xbox price was dropped a few months after launch to match PS2.

Historically speaking consumers have always gone for the system with the better exclusives not the system with the better graphics anyway. You cannot fault MS for following historically proven strategy of games over graphics. After getting crushed by the Wii and PS2 in two generations, the lesson they should've learned is graphics are important, but games matter more than graphics.

Top Bottom