• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioMutant - Announcement Trailer (from ex-Just Cause/Mad Max Devs)

Not big on the minion-speak. But then I'm not big on the constant narration either. Definitely not big on both at the same time.

Yeah, they really need to do something about the narrative. A slider in the options menu where we can adjust how much he speaks would be a good step in the right direction imo.

glaurung

The game play video looked a bit janky, but that's hopefully down to the early development build. Otherwise still interested.

pagrab

I am really loving this. This game went from "never heard of it" to "day one purchase" in a matter of 1 minute of watching the gameplay video.

Dredd97

Yeah, they really need to do something about the narrative. A slider in the options menu where we can adjust how much he speaks would be a good step in the right direction imo.

think the narrator is just for the tutorial.. but I like what I see in this game.. and not bad for an alpha build either

think the narrator is just for the tutorial.. but I like what I see in this game.. and not bad for an alpha build either

I don't mind narration for key dialogues, but he's talking non-stop, even during battle! :p
The overall state of the game in this alpha build is great and since it won't release until next year, the devs have plenty of time to fix and tweak everything. No doubt it'll be in good condition when it releases.

It looks like that game is popular at Gamescom :D

https://twitter.com/Biomutant/status/900662300587298816

It was a short line on Tuesday (press day), but since then there has been more reports on it (especially IGN - announce trailer got >500k views), a second trailer (gameplay trailer), more footage online, etc., so more buzz in general. Also, when people come to the THQ Nordic booth, there's a big statue in the front which attracts attention too. Good to see that it pays off. Hopefully people love the game as much as we do! :D

Nice saw the game play video. Should have been another thread for it. Day one for me. Could be a GOTY contender next year. Graphics weren't all that impressive but if the game is as fun as it looks like it should be I'll enjoy the hell out of it.

Only thing I didn't like was the lack of feedback aside from the words and numbers popping up while you're hitting enemies. I want to see them hurting with every shot and sword swing, body parts flying etc...

That's a pretty interesting way to design a game. No directors or leads at all? Guess it really is an experiment. Othwrise for a game that's coming out next year it looks like it has a ton of promise and just needs to be polished up and fleshed out a bit in terms of animations.

it was in the IGN interview I posted. He said they formed it and started making stuff, no directors, they just meet up as a team and talk it out and start working on it.

with a studio this small no directors kind of makes sense. 15~ people.

I understand the need for a director/s when your team number skyrockets, unless they figure out some workflow with soft directors/go to peeps.

i feel like half of gaf sits in a corner and faps to only platnium and souls games and shits on everything else. These people take all the fun out of gaming.

This game looks fun. Ill be keeping an eye on it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
it was in the IGN interview I posted. He said they formed it and started making stuff, no directors, they just meet up as a team and talk it out and start working on it.

I understand the need for a director/s when your team number skyrockets, unless they figure out some workflow with soft directors/go to peeps.

Yeah the smaller team definitely makes it far more workable way to make a game. Still its a pretty interesting move to make but the results speak for themselves and I'm excited.

Yeah not digging the narration, maybe it'll grow on me but not really feeling the Tearaway vibes that part gives me.

I don't mind that it looks a bit rough around the edges, I think my bigger concern would be stuff like enemy variety, especially with a small team like this.

Generally liking what I see though, definitely look forward to playing this next year.

It also really helps that most (if not all) people who are working there have a lot of industry experience.

Raptor

After that IGN dev comentary demo Im sold, looks very cool and fun, also what the dev said about trying to put as much gameplay stuff in it made me happy :D

Great stuff.

Just watched the 11-minute IGN gameplay video and am interested. I kinda dig it, but need to see more.

The montage at the end of the video makes it look super weird. lol

It's great to see something that actually looks pretty unique. I'll keep an eye on it.

Replicant

Huh. I love it. I hope there's a character creation and the customization is more than the generic slider.

And please don't be like Just Cause 3 in terms of performance.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Graphics could've been better for sure. Still rest looks pretty great. Interested for sure.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sort of getting Krater vibes from this, art/style wise. Maybe it's just how post-apocalypse comes through via a Swedish lens?

Either way, the game looks really cool, gameplay sold me.

K.Sabot

This looks like something you'd show as a kickstarter pitch before you got funding, an extra year of development + a delay for polish. Not a game that is supposed to come out early next year. Sorry, but as cool as the concept sounded, my faith is pretty low right now.

Aranjah

I hope there's a way to turn the narration off or at least down a whole lot. There were some other things in the video that looked a little rough and "still under development" that I could easily overlook, but the narration was pushing it over the edge into "this doesn't look that great" territory.

Maybe it'll be like Horizon where she talked to herself incessantly in the gameplay reveal and then in the actual game it was fine.

Hope so, because I want so badly to be able to say "day one" on this, because conceptually it's right up my alley.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
i feel like half of gaf sits in a corner and faps to only platnium and souls games and shits on everything else. These people take all the fun out of gaming.

This game looks fun. Ill be keeping an eye on it.
it is less that and more looking like blandsiders which is really repetitive

it is less that and more looking like blandsiders which is really repetitive

The game features a big mix-and-match system of weapon parts and you can switch weapons at any time too (so it's easy to paralyse an enemy with a electric gun and then come up close to finish it off with a sword, for example). So I don't think it's necessarily "blandsiders". Whether it becomes repetitive, I don't know of course, but there's enough options to keep the battles interesting at least on paper.

dex3108

Both announcement trailer and gameplay video from IGN have 500K+ views and great Like/Dislike ratio. I am so glad that they had successful announcement.

dex3108

Yeah there was a huge line at Gamescom.

I saw that too. I just hope that team will get all of those positive vibes and make game as best as they can and fix some of the things that were mentioned here and around the internet (and probably in person at Gamescom).

So the collector's edition is $120 for the game with soundtrack, figurine, and an artwork? WTF?

The game on its own is $60. I have no idea how big that figurine is, but that thing is responsible for the biggest chunk of the remaining $60. Personally, I'm not really interested in that figurine and I'll get the standard edition instead.

NeoRaider

New screenshots:

MUMY3YsX6x7y7wKzxvxZdn.jpg

YSKk3dyA5yJ7puWZX258in.jpg

bU2nitTht8g7LdktXAvufn.jpg

jbMpUCURKQdJPxaY3FWufn.jpg

uhRasvty9q7oZ3J8xz5Hzn.jpg

rUVdik5N2mJPAJNu7xRXZn.jpg

I am little confused because on some screenshots it looks really good and colorful. But on some it looks really bad and washed out...

tryDEATH

The developers recently got acquired by THQ Nordic and they plan to make it a "major franchise", so we should expect a much more polished game. The world and its vast features look and sound very interesting. Let just hope they execute it properly.

NahaNago

Those screenshots look amazing and some parts of it look like a waterpainting? Kinda weird but still hyped for the game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
New trailer, if someone wants to post it in a new thread.

This is looking more ambitious than I thought. Hope it delivers!

Last edited:

Moses85

It is a game published by THQ, for me, none of THQs Games ever delivered.

Hope this will be as good as it looks.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's just a name for a publisher, it's not even the original THQ which was an American company, THQ Nordic is Austrian. Plenty good IP under their banner nowadays anyway and plenty different development studios, each should be judged on its own rather than a name label. We'll see how Experiment 101 do, this is their first game even though many of its members are veterans from different IP.

Last edited:

dottme

It looks interesting. I did not care about it at the beginning, but the more I see of it the more I’m interested.

So excited for this game! Reminds me of a modern more teen rated version of Banjo Kazooie. Just zany levels, awesome characters, and fun game play.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
New trailer
Eurojunky and budget as hell *sigh*

I'm extremely sceptical about this game and there is almost no room for optimism:messenger_pensive:

THQ needs to stop buyin' useless and old as shite IPs about which nobody cares and throw more money into game development, art and level designers and just generally UP the quality of their games overall:messenger_angry:

I'm really afraid right now for the new Aquanox game cuz it's one of my favorite series of all time and I REALLY do not want it to flop:messenger_weary:

Last edited:

Cravis

Looking forward to this. I got the title mixed up with Mutant Year Zero. Got excited thinking it was out

Top Bottom