• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bionic Commando 2D Remake: Preview and Vid

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
yurinka said:
Capgod rules! Now Megaman Powered Up for PSN/XBLA, and also Megaman Powered Up 2.
Yes please.

And Maverick Hunter X and Ultimate Ghouls & Ghosts, while you're at it.

eshwaaz

This is too good to be true - the original was one of my favorites of all time, and now I'm getting not one, but two Bionic Commando games this year. The footage is looking good, but I'm not crazy about the swing animation. The rest of the animations look nice, but when he releases from a grapple, he goes back into his standing pose in mid-air way too quickly. It looks stiff, and could be done much more gracefully. I know he popped back into that pose in mid-air in the original, but there are some cases where you should not be so true to the original.

Nitpicks aside, I'm seriously giddy.

Rlan said:
Well they did mention why - the game was not initially created with Coop in mind, so with that in mind they didn't streamline the experience to work online. Heaps of optimization is required for a good online experience, and since it wasn't initially meant to have Coop, they never did that.

Commando 3 was made with Coop in mind as MERCS had 3 player modes, so it was there right off the bat.
Yeah, just read their "excuse". Laaaame.

I don't see how adding online functionality to the co-op (I don't necessarily want it to be drop-in drop-out), which already exists obviously, would be so hard. Or harder than designing other multiplayer components that are, I assume, completely new, which they seem to be doing. Even older games like Metal Slug 3 manage to incorporate an online co-op mode by now...

With that said, I'll most likely buy this remake (never played the original and it does look damn good), but this reminds me of the whole Kane & Lynch situation whenever IO tried to spin their way out of a question concerning the lack of online co-op.

M3wThr33

Banned
texawesome.jpg

AWESOME!

Angelcurio

Looks Awesome. I love 2.5D games. Megaman Powered UP, Irregular Hunter, Contra Shattered Soldier. I love those games (except the dracula x remake, it has horrible animations).

Day fucking one.

Holy shit I really wasn't expecting this. Very cool of Capcom to develop a 2.5d and a 3d bionic commando. I love 2d/2.5d games more than anything and I hope they continue bringing back their old franchises in similar fashion.

Ben Judd: Personally, I'd love to see Forgotten Worlds, Gunsmoke, Magic Sword, and our Dungeons and Dragons beat-'em-up. Capcom really has a fantastic library of classic titles that few other companies can rival.

Please add Trojan, Speed Rumbler, Black Dragon and Tiger Road to the mix.

border

MicVlaD said:
I don't see how adding online functionality to the co-op (I don't necessarily want it to be drop-in drop-out), which already exists obviously, would be so hard. Or harder than designing other multiplayer components that are, I assume, completely new, which they seem to be doing. Even older games like Metal Slug 3 manage to incorporate an online co-op mode by now...

It's an XBLA game. Chances are "we didn't plan for online co-op" has the double-meaning of "we weren't budgeted for online co-op".

CloudV

:lol Day 1 purchase here.
This was the 2nd NES game I got when I was a kid, I remember my dad buying it for me at the PX because Army personnel got games cheaper on base.

I also remember being frustrated to hell for the first hour because I couldn't go past route 1 and the first neutral zone. Took me 45 minutes to figure out you had to press the control pad to go diagonal. I thought my game was broken or I had to do some unknown thing in route 1. Of course, this was still when I was unconsciously moving my controller to the right when I jumped with Mario because I thought it helped him go farther.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looks awesome in motion.

THIS is why old-school type gameplay + new hardware can = ASS KICKING.

MOAR!

The techno remix of the song is just wrong and some of the animations are spotty, but otherwise this is a Grade-A effort and a brilliant idea that stands to eclipse the 3D remake itself.

LukeSmith

This looks incredible. More 2.5d games, plz. Strider, Powered Up 2, there's a whole ocean of these games that are worth remaking.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh shit its coming to PC as well? Even more reason to upgrade my shitbox.

I dont remember much of the original, im sure i played it but that is going back way too far. This looks like alot of fun!

KevinCow

Banned
Capcom's attempt at rejuvenating the Bionic Commando franchise will either flop horribly or be a huge success that spawns twenty immediate sequels across the 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, PS2, PC, and cell phones so we get tired of it within a few years. Or I guess it could be a moderate success instead of a huge success, but being Capcom, it'll still spawn twenty immediate sequels across the 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, PS2, PC, and cell phones so we get tired of it within a few years.

KevinCow said:
Capcom's attempt at rejuvenating the Bionic Commando franchise will either flop horribly or be a huge success that spawns twenty immediate sequels across the 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, PS2, PC, and cell phones so we get tired of it within a few years.

Exactly. No matter who wins, we all lose!

CO_Andy said:
<3 Shinkiro

6xaf1qv.jpg

Great art. It successfully expands on the original game crazy character design where, more subtlely than the Hitler-Master D analogy, but still recognisable, Generalissimo Killt was modeled after Hitler's "friend" Mussolini:

benito_mussolini.jpg

benito_mussolini.JPG

Udde

Last week I was playing MD's Rolling Thunder 2 and I imagined how would be a 'HD remake' of that game (2D or 3D I don't care, things like little big planet have shown that this-gen 3D graphics can be as soft and eyepleasant as 2D.

Ok, this Bionic remake comes really really close to that wet dream :) Day 1 OF COURSE.

Top Bottom