• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Collection boxart leaked

I'll get this especially if it has all the DLC. That cover is amazing.

Bioshock Infinite is actually one of my faves. I love the story and setting so much.

Novocaine

I like all three Bioshock games. Come at me.

I will.

With a fist bump because I like all 3 too.

ZBoJCsD.jpg

I hope it comes with all of the DLC. I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't to be quite honest.

One of my favorite parts of BioShock Infinite was exploring its world. I almost never see it mentioned, but BioShock Infinite was a long game for me. I spent over 25 hours before I beat it, and took my time looking around and exploring. While the game might be a linear shooter, there's a lot of areas off the beaten path, lots of misc things to do, things to interact with, completely optional areas to explore, hidden little scenes. Literally in every location in the game there are several completely optional areas to explore, that are often completely worth exploring.

I thought Infinite had an absolutely memorizing world, and I remember it fondly I think because I took the time to explore it. I just never see anyone mention what a fun place the world is to explore for those who are into that, I feel it was Infinite's strongest element. Combine that with some great audio design, voice acting, narrative & writing, plus some exhilarating and memorable moments and scenes, and I liked it quite a bit. I do agree with the combat complaints, and that the last third of the game feels bogged down with it, but I also think the problem is overstated. There's nothing particularly bad about the combat, it's just the weakest link of the game and only slightly above average, which I think contrasts with the rest of the game which is in great territory. The problem then comes that they focus a bit too much on their weakest link, but the hyperbole to completely shit on the game I just don't agree with. I understand some may not like it, but I found it a very engaging game I enjoyed over its course, and found it a joy to explore it.
The world is completely neutered though, which makes it seem unrealistic and ruins the story they're trying to tell. The way Elizebeth is characterized alone basically disqualifies the game from having a great narrative of great writing. Like its cool the first time when you just enjoy the dumb fun. But after that? When you think about what actually happened and how stupid and ridiculous it all is?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The problem I have with Columbia is the palpable artifice -- interactivity, even the matter of explorable buildings, is exceedingly limited. The world feels more like a theme park than a believable place. MrOogieBoogie's tag sums it up quite nicely -- aside from hoarding junk, the game doesn't actually have a lot to offer in terms of player agency. Infinite isn't the only game that suffers from this, of course, but relatively few games are comparable in terms of how much care and effort went into the artistic direction.

Five-and-a-half years separate Bio1 and BioInf, but the game feels like a lateral move in terms of world design -- it's not worse, but it's not really better, either.

TI82

Banned
I still have no idea what that whole ghost chapter had anything to do with the rest of the game. Just came out of nowhere and dropped like a hot turd right after.

Elizabeth is my favorite follower character in any game.
She's designed to be that way. But that don't make no sense because she's been isolated and neglected her entire life, yet she's the most charismatic and lovable person you've ever met. It's super manipulative.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I knew I had been putting off this series for a good reason.

I still have no idea what that whole ghost chapter had anything to do with the rest of the game. Just came out of nowhere and dropped like a hot turd right after.

One of the worst boss fights I've encountered. I remember playing on hard (if it was called that) on my first run and, game design issues aside, the challenge level was quite good. Then I got to this stupid boss and the weapons I had felt super ineffective and I basically had to reload twenty times and win by cheesing.

TI82

Banned
Okay we get it, you hate Infinite. You can stop now.

I'm more interested if someone who likes the game (which there are plenty of in this thread) could explain this side story. Please refrain from telling others to stop when you don't like what they have to say it's kind of rude.
One of the worst boss fights I've encountered. I remember playing on hard (if it was called that) on my first run and, game design issues aside, the challenge level was quite good. Then I got to this stupid boss and the weapons I had felt super ineffective and I basically had to reload twenty times and win by cheesing.

Same exact experience. Doesn't help how the game handled weapon upgrades but only holding 2 at a time, or having different forms of the exact same guns in the second half but with new upgrades lol

DarkFlame

Banned
I just hope it's not a simple port but a remaster as well. So far, this is the greatest collection on the new console generation,even better than Nathan Drake's

JaseC

why pc though? is that perhaps a sign that they're actually putting a lot of work in them instead of up-ressed "remasters"?

Because there's no all-encompassing BioShock bundle on the PC. The BioShock Triple Pack that's on Steam doesn't include the DLC whereas this collection presumably does. There's a "BioShock Everything" retail sub in the Steam registry, but it's old and has a release state override, so it was probably created for development/testing purposes.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I liked Rapture and the associated time period 10x more lol. Infinite was a good game, but just the atmosphere and story didn't do it for me like the other games.

Andrew Ryan was an amazing character.

Let me clarify this, I prefer Rapture myself. I have since a child loved underwater sea labs and cities (even to the point when I was a kid I would write down it as my dream home when asked the question on those kind of early childhood questionnaires), so obviously something like Rapture is going to be right up my alley. Mix that with the underwater city being set with 1950s aesthetics and themes, plus a crumbling society that's twisted and mutated, and you have an absolutely fascinating world.

But I still think Infinite has a charm to it that's different and engaging from the other BioShock's. Of course, the setting now is a very bright sky city full of 1910s stylizings, and in a city that's currently thriving rather than slowly dying, But the steampunk flair matched with the flashy 'show floor' (making attractive showpieces out of the boom of growing technology and enthusiasm for the show and arts, ranging from 'World of Wonder' attractions, extravagant mansions, old-styled diners, propaganda museums, and more), with a very attractive color schematic and many people to listen in on, objects to interact with, gift shops with hidden underground market departments to find, among many other things, I found to be a blast.

My argument isn't that I think BioShock Infinite is the better game, I think people completely blow its problems out of the water (pun intended) and will treat the game like all its composed of is its problems. I think part of that may just be people being bitter at it for some reason, maybe because they weren't as enthralled by it as BioShock, but I don't think Infinite is some bad game, and found it to be a very engaging world to be explored.

The world is completely neutered though, which makes it seem unrealistic and ruins the story they're trying to tell. The way Elizebeth is characterized alone basically disqualifies the game from having a great narrative of great writing.

While I don't want to get into the story too heavily for those who haven't played it, I don't think Infinite (or the original BioShock, for that matter) had anything remote to a realistic world, they're set in fantasy worlds that reflect and retract off real time eras, but in an exaggerated form with a fantastical twist. Outside of that, I disagree with your other points. The story I think fits the tone of the world, and visa versa (that's subjective, but I find myself in disagreement), and Elizabeth is a sheltered 'Disney princess' type in my eyes. I was okay with her, though she wasn't my favorite character of the lot, though know my sister took a huge liking to her when she played the game (she actually played it ahead of me and was curious what I thought of Elizabeth specifically, who I thought was fine and her arc and ultimate story purpose interesting), but I understand that some may dislike her... Bubbliness.

To respond to your edit, I like how they don't back down from the extravagant. The plot goes all in to some ridiculous themes, but manages to tie them nicely to their world, and I found an enjoyable ride with a satisfying conclusion, but that's just me. Trying not to say too much, but I enjoy some stories with elements that deal with the sometimes cooky, which might explain my love of things like Twin Peaks or X-Files. Not an apt comparison, but those manage to have larger-than-life elements and dumb 'silly' story things, but be entertaining and weave them nicely into their worlds and characters, is why the comparison came to mind I think.

Same exact experience. Doesn't help how the game handled weapon upgrades but only holding 2 at a time, or having different forms of the exact same guns in the second half but with new upgrades lol

What a step back from Bioshock 2 where you not only had very diverse base weapons to begin with but they got 2 additional, unique ammunition types and I think 2 meaningful upgrades per weapon. If I'm not mistaken some of the weapon upgrades in Infinite where flat damage or ammo increase etc.

omgkitty

I just hope it's not a simple port but a remaster as well. So far, this is the greatest collection on the new console generation,even better than Nathan Drake's

Yeah I really hope they don't pull a Dishonored with this. I feel like they should at least look as good as the PC versions as those look pretty great on max settings.

TI82

Banned
What a step back from Bioshock 2 where you not only had very diverse base weapons to begin with but they got 2 additional, unique ammunition types and I think 2 meaningful upgrades per weapon. If I'm not mistaken some of the weapon upgrades in Infinite where flat damage or ammo increase etc.

Yep, lost the camera and then video camera function too. Probably because infinite also lacked enemy variety too.

Not to mention the plasmid/vigors downgrade

eso76

Sweet, I haven't played Infinite and i don't care what people around here say about that game :p

Having said that, if it's just straight ports i will still pass, but i'd love an updated Bioshock

RowdyReverb

I can't wait! I enjoyed all 3 games, but I've had trouble replaying them because the graphics didn't age well. Here's hoping to more than a res/framerate bump

Catvoca

Banned
Haven't played any of the DLC and don't own 2 anymore so I might jump on this if the price is reasonable. Add me to the camp that likes all 3 games, and loves Infinite.

Fuchsdh

Gorgeous box art, especially for a collection. Usually you just get all three original box arts and some quotes and shit to clutter everything up.

Yep.

As someone who has the games on PC already will be interesting to see if there's anything that makes it worth (at this point) triple-dipping for the games, besides getting better perf on the console versions which is what I usually play.

MilkyJoe

SO i recently got hold of a copy of Bioshock 1 on Xbox360 and i actually stopped playing cause' i was certain this would happen...I shall now enjoy in glorious next gen-i-ness

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I said this last page I think, but being a BioShock collection, Minerva's Den and Burial at Sea are a must. Having all DLC would be preferred, but I don't think many would be too bothered if the collection just included BioShock, BioShock 2, Minerva's Den DLC, BioShock Infinite, & Burial At Sea Parts 1 & 2. Minerva's Den and Burial At Sea are both necessary I feel for any sort of confident 'BioShock Collection.'

JaseC

oh, that's a shame. my new-found excitement thrown out of the window.

minerva's den is the only dlc i don't own.

Well, keep in mind that I could be wrong. Nothing is for certain until either 2K shares particulars or the collection is out in the wild. The post I quoted was in response to the question of why 2K would release a PC version of the collection if the console versions are just ports of the existing PC versions (the underlying point being that there being a PC version of the collection isn't necessarily indicative of graphical improvements).

I just hope they fix up the PC versions of BS1 and 2. If that's the case I'll certainly buy this collection on Steam when it's 30 euro or less.

TheStig88

God DAMN that is some ace cover-art. Now that is how you do it. In for physical just for that.

Would love a nice print of that to frame up on my wall too.

Top Bottom