• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite does not have multiplayer of any kind

I usually ignore multiplayer if I'm not interested on it (Dead Space 2) but cool for those people that can't bear or loathe the existance of a multiplayer option in a game, I guess.

you see, having multiplayer means people won't buy the game, because other people might enjoy the mp mode, we can't go around having that kind of stuff. now this just means we can all buy the game, we weren't gonna do that before.

SP games have really stayed alive and well this gen, despite all the doom and gloom. Great to see they're not only still being made, but made well and selling.

Why cheer? The single player development has been notably troubled. All this means is that you won't be able to pretend MP development screwed up the game.

Why cheer? The single player development has been notably troubled. All this means is that you won't be able to pretend MP development screwed up the game.

Because now they actually have a chance to fix the issues that were plaguing the SP. It is troubling we've basically seen so little of the game this year.

Sean

Banned
They should've never bothered with multiplayer in the first place.

Basically turned out to be a giant waste of time and money and likely ended up hurting the single player mode.

I'm glad they cut it and are focusing on SP now, but the damage was already done.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This is joyous news! I want to thank the people responsible for this decision.
Either do it properly or don't do it at all.

Ridley327

Because now they actually have a chance to fix the issues that were plaguing the SP. It is troubling we've basically seen so little of the game this year.

They mentioned taking the "year off," so to speak, to devote all their time into developing the game. Depending on how soon they decided to scrub the multiplayer (although the article mentions the two modes that were cut before the E3 demo, it's not entirely indicative of them stopping their efforts of getting a mode in there), they could have had at least a year to really ramp up development for the single player, which will definitely be to the game's benefit. Or if it's a more recent decision, like within the last six months, it's hard to know just how much the extra manpower will help it out.

Grisby

The original game was officially unveiled in 2004, then released in 2007. If for nothing else, Irrational likes to take their time.
I can still remember the original Bioshock e3 demo they showed with Levine narrating. Watched that thing so many times.

Just some reminiscing.

ScrubJay

I like Bioshock 2 multiplayer alot, but I didn't miss it once I hit the level cap and left.

Now, I just don't have the time anymore to play the obligatory multiplayer modes that all games seem to come with.

pargonta

i think it somewhat did this time though, but indeed. the cheering is very surface level and, at least for me, is for the reprieve from the wider encroachment of multiplayer into single player experiences on a general level. looking at this specific game development on a deeper level will illuminate many more troubles and complexities, it seems.

Derrick01

Banned
Good. Not every game needs multiplayer.

I'd argue as far as shooters go none of them need it outside of the big few like COD/BF/Halo. After that you pretty much get into redundancy territory where all you're doing is playing the same fucking modes and dumb leveling systems but with different skins and likely worse shooting mechanics.

gioGAF

Yes! Thank you!

So tired of the garbage multiplayer that is stuffed into what seems like EVERY SINGLE GAME. I'm really happy they are focusing all their resources on delivering the highest quality single player experience they can.

Other developers always say that adding multiplayer doesn't impact the single player, but that is a TOTAL LIE. If they hadn't wasted all of the time, resources, capital and effort on their sh+*&y multiplayer component, they could have delivered an even better single player game.

Linkup

This and Metro LL are two games Im really looking forward to right now and neither needs multiplayer to waste pubs money and devs resources, that goes double for A4. Other pubs take note that I will buy both day 1 on PC.

iPXbWZc6Sb1MX.gif

Good! It does make me wonder just what was going on with the rumored multiplayer modes. Wasn't the inclusion of multiplayer one of the reasons it was pushed into 2013? To just drop that completely seems significant.

So long as the single player is solid, I'm more than content with that.

Derrick01

Banned
So I have to ask: Are you willing to spend $60 on a 6-10 hour game with limited replay-ability?

No but adding multiplayer doesn't do anything to enhance the value for me. A longer and deeper SP game would, but not a shallow mode where all you do is play on the same maps and do the same basic things a million times. That's a false sense of value to me.

I'd argue as far as shooters go none of them need it outside of the big few like COD/BF/Halo. After that you pretty much get into redundancy territory where all you're doing is playing the same fucking modes and dumb leveling systems but with different skins and likely worse shooting mechanics.

Even shooters that have unique gameplay or unique modes don't get far like Red Faction Guerilla or Kane & Lynch 2, respectively. It's just a waste of resources that would be better put on making the singleplayer portion of the game bigger and more polished.

No but adding multiplayer doesn't do anything to enhance the value for me. A longer and deeper SP game would, but not a shallow mode where all you do is play on the same maps and do the same basic things a million times. That's a false sense of value to me.

But what if you don't get a longer or deeper SP game?

I guess I'm just getting pickier, but when I see a game like Bioshock or Deus Ex, I know I will just wait for a $20 sale before buying it as I don't want to spend $60 for a game I'll beat in a single day/weekend. For me, I'd rather spend $60 on a Skyrim, Fallout, or Mass Effect that offers alot more content for the same money.

Instro

So I have to ask: Are you willing to spend $60 on a 6-10 hour game with limited replay-ability?
Uh yeah I would if its a good game, what a silly question. Tacking on shitty multiplayer to a designed as a purely single player experience is a waste of development resources that should be put towards making sure the game is as as polished as possible.

Derrick01

Banned
But what if you don't get a longer or deeper SP game?

I guess I'm just getting pickier, but when I see a game like Bioshock or Deus Ex, I know I will just wait for a $20 sale before buying it as I don't want to spend $60 for a game I'll beat in a single day/weekend. For me, I'd rather spend $60 on a Skyrim, Fallout, or Mass Effect that offers alot more content for the same money.

Well now I'm confused by what you want because Human Revolution is a ~25 hour game, definitely longer than the worthwhile content available in mass effect 2 or 3 (meaning not spending 10 hours planet scanning or doing the pointless fetch side quests in ME3). And skyrim for all its hundreds of hours of content is one of the most boring and lazily designed games of all time, so what good does having hundreds of hours of content do for it?

I get the concern though. I don't usually spend $60 on 10 hour linear games anymore either, it's too much money for too little value but the answer to that is to create longer and deeper games not shoehorn lazy multiplayer modes that after a month make everyone go "why am I not just playing my copy of Black Ops 2 instead?"

I agree with one thing. MP are becoming all the same; it would be nice to get a different experience. I really liked BS2 MP, even if it wasn't great.

chixdiggit

Bioshock 2 multi was actually pretty decent. I will buy Infinite either way but was hoping for an improved multiplayer from Bioshock 2.

Omega

Banned
Wow, and they were actually given permission to skip MP?

I'm surprised. Thought all that focus group testing bullshit would make them force in a MP

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent news as someone who doesn't care about multiplayer and thinks that some single player aspects are inevitably compromised when a multiplayer mode gets added to a game.

Top Bottom