• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock (not the sequel) coming to PS3? Edit: Confirmed, Fall 08

PacoDG

I saw no thread about this (im sure there is a reason for that).

".....according to the upcoming issue of EGM, the move to Sony's system could be coming this fall. Supposedly in the rumor section of the magazine, Bioshock will be coming to PS3s this September, around the same time that details for Bioshock 2 will be released to the public. Bioshock 2, it should be pointed out, is expected to be released across the PC, PS3 and 360 instead of being exclusive to one platform.

The port will supposedly feature the previously released downloadable content and will have improved visuals over the PC and Xbox 360 versions of the game. We contacted 2K Games for a statement on this new rumor and were told, "No comment." - IGN link.

Has IGN posted rumors from magazines not on stands yet before? I just figured IGN knew something we all didn't (or they confused the sequel with the first one).

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
speculawyer said:
This is a rumor that refuses to die.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "no". MS paid a bunch of money for it to be exclusive.
Time exclusive I bet. At this point, it doesn't matter in the system wars if the PS3 gets the game, the ppl who wanted to play it badly either got it on the PC or the 360, so its system seller potential has been achieved already. The PS3 port is great news so that more ppl can actually enjoy the experience.

kenta

Has no PEINS
This is good news for people like me who only own a PS3 and whose PC completely sucks. Nothing system wars about it, I'm excited to finally see what the hype is all about. I just hope it's a competent port

Chemo

I bought this for 360 after I ditched my console, just so I could borrow a friend's and put some serious time into it.

Would seriously buy the shit out of a PS3 version. You know you want my money, 2K.

Concept17

kenta said:
This is good news for people like me who only own a PS3 and whose PC completely sucks. Nothing system wars about it, I'm excited to finally see what the hype is all about. I just hope it's a competent port

Same. I just got a new vcard which would allow me to play it fine now, but I'm gonna wait and see if this rumor plays out or not.

DCharlie

Banned
the other thing mentioned was that the PS3 version is going to be visually better, so i guess whoever is sourcing the rumour has already seen something or at least heard something.

or.... well, you know what the or is...

Great game - well , actually, no let me rephrase that.
Decent enough game play, well executed story, fantastic setting. Let down by some bad choices i thought (respawn chambers cheapened the suspense for instance).

Definitely worth checking out - definite GotY levels, but not specifically for the core gameplay - but has to be tried especially as fort frollic is one of the best levels in a game ever.

Yagharek

Jtrizzy said:
I hope so. This is the one game that makes me wish I still had a 360.

Same here. I kept my copy of Bioshock when I sold my 360 because it had the figurine with it, and it was one game I would buy one for again.

A PS3 version would be most welcome.

jax (old)

Banned
couldn't play it again after going through it twice. SEQUEL please. PS3 port = waste of resource but who knows... it might sell well

kenta said:
Except that it's not news, it's a rumour. An EGM rumour no less. For all the PS3 owners who haven't gotten a chance to play Bioshock, I truly hope it's real, but I don't think the probability of it happening is any greater (or worse) than it was before the rumour was reported.

batbeg

grandjedi6 said:
Or you could have searched for the EGM thread

You can't search for 3 letters. Though I think you could do EGM*.

I use google to search for threads anyway, GAFs search sucks :(

pswii60

jarrod said:
Seems likely... big HD exclusives only last a year these days.
Oh don't start that MGS4 rumour again!

EDIT: I think it's been blatantly obvious for some time now that Bioshock will be coming to PS3, but with Bioshock 2 coming next year the real question is whether the sequel will be a 360 timed exclusive. EDIT2: And better graphics than the PC version my arse.

E-phonk

Banned
pswii60 said:
EDIT: I think it's been blatantly obvious for some time now that Bioshock will be coming to PS3, but with Bioshock 2 coming next year the real question is whether the sequel will be a 360 timed exclusive. EDIT2: And better graphics than the PC version my arse.

To me, releasing bioshock on PS3 at this moment is only logical if you want to release bioshock 2 also on PS3. You release it on PS3 because you want people to know the backstory, and to grow some fanbase on the platform for the sequel.

If Bioshock 2 would be xbox360 exclusive, there would be no real reason to port it to PS3 at this time.

pswii60

E-phonk said:
To me, releasing bioshock on PS3 at this moment is only logical if you want to release bioshock 2 also on PS3. You release it on PS3 because you want people to know the backstory, and to grow some fanbase on the platform for the sequel.

If Bioshock 2 would be xbox360 exclusive, there would be no real reason to port it to PS3 at this time.
I said time exclusive. And I have one other thing to say: Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

ThatHurt

E-phonk said:

Or... MS lets you release it after paying all that $$ to you to keep it 360/pc, if you sign Bioshock2 as 360/pc only.

Release Bioshock in Sept
Bioshock2 comes out a month later only on the 360/pc
????
Profit

Oh and im sure bioshock PS3 720p 30fps is going to look much better than 1920x1200 with 4xAA, DX10, and 60+fps

Busty

Banned
This was inevitable despite what some might have claimed. I have no doubt in my mind that when
HAZE
comes to the 360 they will have someone from Ubi claiming that all the GFX have been improved and the gameplay has been tightened up.

By the time this gen is over I think you'll be able to count the genuine third party exclusives from Western publishers on one hand.

People. It is the way of things.

Acosta

DCharlie said:
the other thing mentioned was that the PS3 version is going to be visually better, so i guess whoever is sourcing the rumour has already seen something or at least heard something.

or.... well, you know what the or is...

Great game - well , actually, no let me rephrase that.
Decent enough game play, well executed story, fantastic setting. Let down by some bad choices i thought (respawn chambers cheapened the suspense for instance).

Definitely worth checking out - definite GotY levels, but not specifically for the core gameplay - but has to be tried especially as fort frollic is one of the best levels in a game ever.

That's is why you have the superior PC version with its options of no Vita-chambers.

Safe Bet

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Time exclusive I bet. At this point, it doesn't matter in the system wars if the PS3 gets the game, the ppl who wanted to play it badly either got it on the PC or the 360, so its system seller potential has been achieved already. The PS3 port is great news so that more ppl can actually enjoy the experience.
I'd like to see a port just to laugh as another "killer title" suddenly becomes "overrated" by half of GAF.

Tom Penny

It's good that it may be going to the PS3 but it was an overatted game. It just dragged out to long at the end and you can basically beat the game doing the same thing over and over if you want. A+ on atmosphere and style though.

Safe Bet

Banned
Safe Bet said:
I'd like to see a port just to laugh as another "killer title" suddenly becomes "overrated" by half of GAF.

Tom Penny said:
It's good that it may be going to the PS3 but it was an overatted game. It just dragged out to long at the end and you can basically beat the game doing the same thing over and over if you want. A+ on atmosphere and style though.
It Begins?

theBishop

Banned
Safe Bet said:

The gaming forum is turning to total shit because of stuff like this. Sales and stealth trolling is all this forum has anymore.

Bioshock (on 360) is the best game of the current generation in my generally Sony-biased opinion.

FrankT

More than a year after the the 360 release is more than I predicted. I was predicting at least a 6 month window, but 13 months is certainly even longer than I expected. All the Bioshock PS3 rumors over the last couple of years have been hilarious. I'm sure they will announce at E3 or I would think. Which leads me to Bioshock 2, kind of hard to say who is right with this rumor. I may go with Surfer Girl's final prediction on the matter as to EGM flip flopped on Bioshock few times over now. Although to be fair she has too, but Bioshock 2 moneyhats have been said by others as well. It could go either way, but I do not see them announcing a port for Bioshock on the one hand and then Bioshock 2 exclusively on the other at the same event or even before. That really wouldn't make sense. So perhaps no word of B2 at E3 or they announce the Bioshock port before hand and just roll with it.

Top Bottom