• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock (not the sequel) coming to PS3? Edit: Confirmed, Fall 08

Banned
Safe Bet said:
It Begins?
Once you got to Hephaestus (if I remember correctly) it was all downhill from there.

If you had played System Shock 2, there wasn't much new in the game other than the story.

Obviously it was still great looking etc, but definitely overrated – and I said so at the time as well.

Truant said:
I just want to point out that GameReactor is a free magazine.

Oh?

Gamereactor.se said:
Varje gång ett nytt nummer av tidningen släpps i butik kommer vi att lägga upp föregående nummer samma dag för nedladdning.

"As soon as a new issue hits stores, we'll put the previous issue up as a free download the same day."

theBishop

Banned
Jtyettis said:
More than a year after the the 360 release is more than I predicted. I was predicting at least a 6 month window, but 13 months is certainly even longer than I expected. All the Bioshock PS3 rumors over the last couple of years have been hilarious. I'm sure they will announce at E3 or I would think. Which leads me to Bioshock 2, kind of hard to say who is right with this rumor. I may go with Surfer Girl's final prediction on the matter as to EGM flip flopped on Bioshock few times over now. Although to be fair she has too, but Bioshock 2 moneyhats have been said by others as well. It could go either way, but I do not see them announcing a port for Bioshock on the one hand and then Bioshock 2 exclusively on the other at the same event or even before. That really wouldn't make sense. So perhaps no word of B2 at E3 or they announce the Bioshock port before hand and just roll with it.

If Bioshock is actually coming to PS3, I wouldn't expect the sequel to be 360 exclusive. I suspect the first one went exclusive because UE3 wasn't ready on PS3, sales were low, making a 360 moneyhat an attractive way out of doing the PS3 port.

Exclusivity makes less sense now that UT3 is looking good and PS3 sales have picked up.

We (journos) can't say nothing until a blogger "steal" some pictures and post an update... this happening too often these days! Bioshock coming on ps3 in september/october.

iceatcs

UK PSM3 on June 5 will have some info of this game.

Now waiting T2 to clam down about EA takeover situation, then they will finally announce in officially.

KZObsessed

thelurkinghorror said:
We (journos) can't say nothing until a blogger "steal" some pictures and post an update... this happening too often these days! Bioshock coming on ps3 in september/october.

:D

Strange how they left it so late to announce, I guess it's part of the exclusivity agreement with MS? /rhetorical

FrankT

theBishop said:
If Bioshock is actually coming to PS3, I wouldn't expect the sequel to be 360 exclusive. I suspect the first one went exclusive because UE3 wasn't ready on PS3, sales were low, making a 360 moneyhat an attractive way out of doing the PS3 port.

Exclusivity makes less sense now that UT3 is looking good and PS3 sales have picked up.

All that doesn't matter in light of a moneyhat, which is exactley what happened the first time around according to most sources. That is why I still consider the second one to be of such because many of the rumors have stated a second moneyhat is in place. If PSM UK breaks the story then an E3 announcement wouldn't happen. They will show off the game however. But Bioshock 2 is still very much up in the air as was Bioshock exclusivity for the longest time now.

pswii60

nib95 said:
And what's come out since then to throw it off the mantle as a killer title?
Nothing. My point is, I played it in August 2007. I've moved on.
Firewire said:
I would pick up Bioshock for the PS3, everyone seemed to like it, and it looked awesome.
Yeah, if you haven't played it yet, then you should. And it is awesome. Especially the atmosphere.

Rlan

Cue the I-told-you-so's -- the everlasting rumor about last year's Xbox 360 hit BioShock popping up on the PS3 turns out to be true. According to the July issue of EGM, publisher 2K Games has confirmed that the underwater shooter is making the transition to Sony's shores.

Still don't believe us? Well, catch yourself a copy of the July issue of EGM (hitting subscribers as we speak, and on newsstands on June 3) to get the full scoop on how the Xbox 360's underwater shooter is making the transition to Sony's shores (including some potential graphical improvements) in time for the 2008 holiday season.

Along with a chat with BioShock's new creative director Jordan Thomas (taking over the sunken series from creator Ken Levine), EGM has the first screens and info, including some fishy details about the future of Rapture.

991.JPG

I'd definitely recommend this to PS3-only owners.

absolutely great experience from start to finish for me. If more stuff is added to the PS3 version, I'd totally buy this game again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
andrewfee said:
Once you got to Hephaestus (if I remember correctly) it was all downhill from there.

If you had played System Shock 2, there wasn't much new in the game other than the story.

Obviously it was still great looking etc, but definitely overrated – and I said so at the time as well.
I agree that it was flawed, but it was still an amazing game that deserves most of the praise it received. We needed this type of game to succeed in order to prove to developers that people do enjoy this type of experience.

I wouldn't say it was a clone of System Shock 2 either. It certainly shared much with it (a good thing), but it still came off as its own thing.

Also, while it's true that the latter portion of the game took a bit of a dive, it was still a massive improvement over the awful ending portions of Shock 2 (the Many hive). Though the VERY end of Shock 2 was quite good.

pswii60

Wow, like three completely separate confirmations in an hour! An embargo must be lifted.

As for Rayne S - he's redeemed! So maybe Fallout 3 will be a PS3 timed exclusive after all.

Narcosis

TheJollyCorner said:
I'd definitely recommend this to PS3-only owners.

absolutely great experience from start to finish for me. If more stuff is added to the PS3 version, I'd totally buy this game again.

Totally agree. I know a few people who don't own 360s but own PS3s and I'll definetly recommend this to them.

I'm nty sure if I'd rebuy it again myself, depends on what bonus content would be there, IF it's getting bonus content not seen on the PC or 360.

iceatcs

including some potential graphical improvements

I think just some hard data improvements not visually better, example change all the lowest texture to higher, increasing number of polygons, or more things on the screens.

It will explain why it will looks better than PC unless mods but it didn't mean the framerate or resolution.

AndyD

aka andydumi
andrewfee said:

I was flamed for saying this too, but such is gaf.

It seemed to me like a modernized graphically overhauled SS2. But considering SS2 was 10 years ago, most gamers nowadays have either never heard of it, or forgotten it.

That said, will it be a full price title? Or 40 bucks or so?

Struct09

Great news for PS3 owners that haven't got a chance to play it yet. I've played through the game for both PC and 360, and it's definitely a game that works well on the consoles.

fantastic game, now those with shit PCs and PS3 users only can experience this really great game

don't listen to the haters, Bioshock is impressive

Chemo

Borrowed a friend's 360 so I could play this when it came out last year... I will definitely be picking up the PS3 version.

Good move, 2K.

GrayFoxPL

And people who were laughing of the rumor for months make a :O face.

Moment is priceless. Quick, snap a photo! :lol

Banned
dark10x said:
I agree that it was flawed, but it was still an amazing game that deserves most of the praise it received. We needed this type of game to succeed in order to prove to developers that people do enjoy this type of experience.

I wouldn't say it was a clone of System Shock 2 either. It certainly shared much with it (a good thing), but it still came off as its own thing.

Also, while it's true that the latter portion of the game took a bit of a dive, it was still a massive improvement over the awful ending portions of Shock 2 (the Many hive). Though the VERY end of Shock 2 was quite good.
Oh don't get me wrong, it's a very good game and definitely something most PS3 owners should pick up if they missed it on 360/PC, but I just don't think it's as good as people said. It just felt like most of the reviewers maybe got halfway in at most and then wrote the review.

But then again, everything seems to get scored ridiculously high these days, so I guess on that scale it is a 10.

Lets hope this fares better than the Dreamcast System Shock 2 port…

WrikaWrek

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
And people who were laughing of the rumor for months make a :O face.

Moment is priceless. Quick, snap a photo! :lol

Yes. People are very :O about a take Two game coming to the Ps3 1 year + after.

Like :=O

Good for people who missed it. GOTY 07, people who really wanted to play already did though.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
As long as it's not gimped: Day One. From what I played on the PC it came across as a timeless classic.

Top Bottom