• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock (not the sequel) coming to PS3? Edit: Confirmed, Fall 08

gcubed

WinFonda said:
Bioshock is a phenomenal game. Peeps who haven't played it are in for a treat.

this. I couldnt wait on a rumor for the ps3, so i bought it for the PC as soon as it came out. More people deserve to play this game

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167898

BioShock Confirmed for PS3
Would you kindly believe the rumors now?
By Michael Donahoe, 05/22/2008
Cue the I-told-you-so's -- the everlasting rumor about last year's Xbox 360 hit BioShock popping up on the PS3 turns out to be true. According to the July issue of EGM, publisher 2K Games has confirmed that the underwater shooter is making the transition to Sony's shores.

Still don't believe us? Well, if you catch yourself a copy of the July issue (hitting subscribers as we speak, and on newsstands on June 3), you'll get the full scoop on how the Xbox 360 will translate (including some potential graphical improvements) in time for the 2008 holiday season.

Along with a chat with BioShock's new creative director Jordan Thomas (taking over the sunken series from creator Ken Levine), EGM has the first screens and info, including some fishy details about the future of Rapture

488.JPG

(This is from 1up.com/not a scan)

this is my favorite game on the current-gen systems. It's truly a work of art.

Pojo

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
next up: Mass Effect
Only if they fix it. Bioware games don't hold up well at all (at least the recent ones...the framerate is all over the place).

Heh, look at me saying only. I'd take it as is over nothing, but really. A port of an already choppy 360 game on the PS3? Chaos.

pswii60

The best part of Bioshock is still the bit at the beginning where you move through the city and the violins kick in. Sent shivers down my spine, made my hairs stand on end. Simply beautiful.

I won't forget the first time I played that demo :)

pswii60 said:
The best part of Bioshock is still the bit at the beginning where you move through the city and the violins kick in. Sent shivers down my spine, made my hairs stand on end. Simply beautiful.

I won't forget the first time I played that demo :)

Seriously. Fucking amazing.

Zophar

m0dus said:
Wow, so 3 million + sales and critical acclaim from gamers and journos alike = game was probably 'decent' now? And the drop-in, drop-out coop equated to 'barebones' single and multiplayer? Who's kidding who now? ;)

Regardless, Bioshock is a game worthy of the praise.
I dunno, I think both games had a huge shock when they came out and journalists and gamers were both wowed initially, but time hasn't been so kind to Gears and I see Bioshock going the same way. I thought Gears was seriously the best thing ever when it came out, though in retrospect it really wasn't that great.

Tr4nce

Incredible to read that it IS after all coming for PS3. I mean, I am not a big fan or something, simply because I haven't played it, but first there were rumours and now it is confirmed. Weird. I will think about buying this. I'm gonna see if I can dig up the GAF thread about BioShock.

This is awesome. Single-console owners should always get a chance to play the best games, just like how N64 owners got a chance to play Resident Evil 2.

Tr4nce said:
Incredible to read that it IS after all coming for PS3. I mean, I am not a big fan or something, simply because I haven't played it, but first there were rumours and now it is confirmed. Weird. I will think about buying this. I'm gonna see if I can dig up the GAF thread about BioShock.
Avoid all story related threads if you are considering buying it. It is one of the best experience ever if you are going fresh.

tha_con

Banned
Any takers on how good / bad the port will be? It'll be interesting.

I've already purchased it on 360, still own it, so a rebuy is probably out of the question, barring some really cool additional content.

verio

MirageDwarf said:
Avoid all story related threads if you are considering buying it. It is one of the best experience ever if you are going fresh.

Listen to this Dwarf! Avoid any details about the game. It's a great experience.

I, still, think it's the best game this gen.

verio

tha_con said:
Any takers on how good / bad the port will be? It'll be interesting.

I've already purchased it on 360, still own it, so a rebuy is probably out of the question, barring some really cool additional content.

egm said:
...you'll get the full scoop on how the Xbox 360 will translate (including some potential graphical improvements) in time for the 2008 holiday season.

Will this ring true? Who knows.

I'm hoping for some nice bonus content. Fill that blu-ray disc up!

tha_con

Banned
verio said:
Will this ring true? Who knows.

I'm hoping for some nice bonus content. Fill that Blu-ray up!

Yea, I can't imagine it being 'unplayable' at all. Though, some GAFFERS think that Orange Box on PS3 is a 'turd', and it's not that bad, so who knows.

I'm honestly just hoping for some extra content, I'd love to get back into this game again.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Predicting the future: 1up review 8.0 "PS3 has worse textures and framerate, and is a year late. Good for people who haven't played it before and only owns a PS3."

(Yes, I think 1up are PS3 haters, especially after their most recent Killzone article "more color and basic seen before gameplay", what the hell").

Zophar said:
I dunno, I think both games had a huge shock when they came out and journalists and gamers were both wowed initially, but time hasn't been so kind to Gears and I see Bioshock going the same way. I thought Gears was seriously the best thing ever when it came out, though in retrospect it really wasn't that great.

You should pop it in again. I thought the same thing for a while and I played it for a sec during the GTA4 drought and was like...whoa.

Still a ridiculously well made experience.

N30RYU

Gold Member
verio said:
Listen to this Dwarf! Avoid any details about the game. It's a great experience.

I, still, think it's the best game this gen.

Well, I wouldn't say that much, but the better ambientation for sure.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Along with a chat with BioShock's new creative director Jordan Thomas (taking over the sunken series from creator Ken Levine)
So what happened to Ken then? I've heard there were some issues with his management style (or something along those lines), but I didn't think he had been replaced.

dark10x said:
So what happened to Ken then? I've heard there were some issues with his management style (or something along those lines), but I didn't think he had been replaced.

I would imagine he's moved onto a new IP.

Kyoufu

dark10x said:

I thought they said last year that the team had issues with him so he wasn't working on the sequel?

m0dus said:
Wow, so 3 million + sales and ....
I stopped reading there because sales prove nothing.

Besides, he was just giving his opinion, chill. ;)

Good news for PS3 only gamers because this is the best X360 game I've played last year.
Yet, I rather saw a 'new' big title arrive on the PS3, not a port.

Mindlog

I only wish it had been released as a multi-platform game so some of the 'talking point' discussions could have been reduced and the actual merits of the game critiqued.

ah, Who am I kidding? Had it been released multi-platform all the ridiculous sideline, "Well I heard the game..." nonsense would just have been replaced by 30 fps AA vs 32 FPS AF dickery.

Great game, I hope more people get the chance to pick it up.

Shins

Banned
Great news for those that haven't been able to play the game.

Now gimme that next game you're working on Ken. No, not BioShock. That new one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I suppose one positive thing for PS3 users is the fact that anti-aliasing was already missing from the 360 version (UE3) so the PS3 won't have to deal with that. I have no interest in the port (other than seeing if they can do it), but I do hope they've decided to use the updated UE3 that works well with PS3.

People should be buying it on PC anyway.
I disagree. I actually own both versions and I was surprised by the fact that I prefer it on XBOX360. The PC version, for some unknown reason, actually slowdowns down at random points. I'm sure if you are running 8800GTXs in SLI you may not encounter any slowdown, but I was surprised considering that most UE3 games run blazing fast at all times (at least framerate wise). There was also something odd about it that I couldn't quite place. The loading wasn't as fast as you'd expect either.

The 360 version feels completely polished all around.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wonder how the Nintendo fans feel about all the people here saying "Good news for PS3-only owners" :-D
(I was thinking of people who perhaps own PS3 and Wii, so they wouldn't be PS3-only, but looks like Wii just gets ignored in these situations)

dark10x said:
I suppose one positive thing for PS3 users is the fact that anti-aliasing was already missing from the 360 version (UE3) so the PS3 won't have to deal with that. I have no interest in the port (other than seeing if they can do it), but I do hope they've decided to use the updated UE3 that works well with PS3.
I've heard PS3 ver. might be having some simple edge AA in this game, which gives the game a bit softer look. Although that kind of AA is kinda easy to confuse with upscaling, so who knows, haha.

Shins

Banned
Marconelly said:
I wonder how the Nintendo fans feel about all the people here saying "Good news for PS3-only owners" :-D
(I was thinking of people who perhaps own PS3 and Wii, so they wouldn't be PS3-only, but looks like Wii just gets ignored in these situations)
And how would BioShock be released on Wii?

Really, elaborate.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Cue the Wii only people complaining about discrimination and arguing about how Bioshock could be done on Wii

Edit: Oh wow, they beat me by a few minutes

Madman

onemic said:
I swear the semi-official sony blog confirmed this rumor months ago?
Yes. Steve Boxer wrote about it coming out in September, presumably in 07. He then retracted his statement.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shins said:
And how would BioShock be released on Wii?

Really, elaborate.
it was a joke - I was just imagining how someone could legitimately not be a PS3-only owner but not be able to play the game.

But for how it could be released on Wii, you need to see that old Jarosh' post! :-D

andycapps

Yay for this news! I hope they do a decent port though, but with all the rumors during development of it being put on PS3 as well I wonder if they designed it that way from the start but that they've just been waiting on the MS timed exclusive to pass. And yes, I just bought a Wii but I'm not delusional enough to think it could ever be put on that (without a massive downgrade anyway). :lol

Top Bottom