• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock only time exclusive?

Wollan

I'm reading a norwegian interview here with Kevin Levine(producer I think). The reporter (a hardcore guy who knows his stuff) mentions in the article that he asked Take 2 about the exclusivity deal and they won't confirm or deconfirm a PS3 version and then they said that the X360 exclusivity is for a 'certain amount of time'.

Next gen exclusives...

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=132073

1159450960975_645.jpg

Besides that they just mention the basic stuff that the story/choices the player creates themselves is the focus as well as having a rich backstory and mood.

yep, only time exclusive...it's just a way to spin the fact that take 2 won't be able to make PS3 launch. probably development issues galore....

sangreal

Thats the impression I got from the press release but you never know with Microsoft announcements

We'll have to wait for the box art I guess ;)

monchi-kun said:
yep, only time exclusive...it's just a way to spin the fact that take 2 won't be able to make PS3 launch. probably development issues galore....
Wha? I thought Bioshock was a 2007 title?

sangreal

monchi-kun said:

It isn't a launch game, it comes out next spring

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
typhonsentra said:
We already knew this.... Very old.

No, we knew they released supposed PS3 screens before X06, that doesnt prove that the PS3 version hasnt been scrapped completely since.

Speevy

Banned
Ghost said:
No, we knew they released supposed PS3 screens before X06, that doesnt prove that the PS3 version hasnt been scrapped completely since.

I seriously doubt this wasn't the very same build they recently demoed.

sangreal

Ghost said:

Those turned out not to be PS3 screens

sangreal

Angelcurio said:
I thought that they announcement as an exclusive, not as a timed one.

Peter Moore is at it once again.

They said it will be exclusive "when it is released next spring" or something to that effect

Companies never outright say a game will only be exclusive for a limited time

That said, I would hardly consider this article to be confirmation that its only a timed exclusive

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Exclusive is a broad word nowadays, it could mean anything from marketing exclusive, to timed exclusive to actually being an exclusive game. So if this game is only playable on a Xbox console is everybody's guess, it could always be ported to PS3 later on (it happened with "exclusive" games like GTA3, MGS2 and SC in the previous generation).

This is one game I am happy to see go multiplatform. When a masterpiece like System Shock 2 languishes in obscurity on the PC, being passed over by "flashier" FPS games, its time something was changed.

As far as I'm concerned, the more exposure that Bioshock gets, the better. Multiplatform success means more on the way! :D

morph

Banned
i dont understand why anyone would want a game on one system and one ststem only. childish behaviour. "its mine and no one else can have it, till they join my club". :zzz

should be cool on both consoles, even if one gets it a little later.

~anthonyOA

Ghost said:

Peter Moore was very careful with what he said. Notice how he said it'd only be exclusive to 360 and Windows "When it launches". Check it out for yourself if you don't believe me.

GhaleonEB

morph said:
i dont understand why anyone would want a game on one system and one ststem only. childish behaviour. "its mine and no one else can have it, till they join my club". :zzz

~anthonyOA
"I spent $400 on my system. I want it to be successful so that it has a long life with lots of games. Exclusive games get more people to buy the system, growing the installed base. The bigger the installed base, the more games come out for it. More games make me happy."

~Xbox/Ntard/Sonybot/normal person

sangreal said:
They said it will be exclusive "when it is released next spring" or something to that effect

Yeah, that sort of annoying phraseology came up a lot during the x06 conference. That said, I don't really mind which type of exclusive it is.

sangreal

morph said:

~anthonyOA

Exclusive titles generally turn out better than Multiplatform titles because the development is more focused.

GhaleonEB

SolidSnakex said:
The press release shoudl be though. Like it was pointed out in the conference thread, its all in the wording

Bioshock

Splinter Cell

One gives a timeframe for it being exclusive while the other is just exclusive.
Or, one provides a release timeframe and the other doesn't. I think we need more clarification.

sangreal

SolidSnakex said:
The press release shoudl be though. Like it was pointed out in the conference thread, its all in the wording

Bioshock

Splinter Cell

One gives a timeframe for it being exclusive while the other is just exclusive.

You can also just read that as Bioshock having a timeframe for release and Splinter Cell not

I DO think the wording is suspicious and I mentioned that in the original PR thread, but I dont think its confirmation of anything

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
typhonsentra said:
Peter Moore was very careful with what he said. Notice how he said it'd only be exclusive to 360 and Windows "When it launches". Check it out for yourself if you don't believe me.

That is in no sense, any kind of conformation.

I really doubt Peter Moore or any of the console execs give a shit whether or not internet forumites are going to disect his comments to discover secret meanings, he meant exclusive to 360 & PC, Im sure one of the execs said the same thing about Oblivion, I know it was said about GTA on many occasions last gen, pretty sure it was said about the original splintercell at one point too. The executives just expect people to realise that no exclusive deal is permanent, and once the time is up the situation can change (and it most likely will in the current state of the industry where being exclusive doesnt really make sense as similar demographics are split over 2 platforms).

sangreal

Ponn01 said:
GTA 4 Redux?

It really isn't anything like what Peter Moore said about GTA4 during the MS E3 conference. Look at his Madden comments during that show if you want a better comparison

PipBoy

Banned
At least all this talk generated some buzzword around the game. I doubt a lot of console gamers heard about System Shock 2 before, now it's one of their favorite game ever :lol

i still don't think we know for sure.

how do we know that 'when it comes out in spring 07' isn't just telling us the release date? Splinter Cell 5 doesn't have a release date, so they couldn't have worded them the same if they wanted to.

the slide behind him just said 'Xbox 360/PC exclusive', same as for Splinter Cell.

certainly needs confirming one way or another though.

Ponn

Banned
Ghost said:
That is in no sense, any kind of conformation.

So what was good for Assassins Creed isn't good for Bioshock? Even though we have already seen and heard leaks saying otherwise? :lol alrighty then

sangreal

Ponn01 said:
So what was good for Assassins Creed isn't good for Bioshock? Even though we have already seen and heard leaks saying otherwise? :lol alrighty then

Assassin's Creed was:
-Not announced as a PS3 exclusive. They simply never "announced" a 360/PC version
-Shown at X05
-Demonstrated the 360 controls at GDC
-Running on a PC at E3'06
-In the end, it wasn't even a timed exclusive

I dont really see how that compares to Bioshock

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
morph said:

~anthonyOA

I prefer a game to be programed for one system initially, just so it can come out the best possible. If it's ported later who cares.

Speevy

Banned
Ponn01 said:

I sound like a broken record bringing this up, but a strong case can always be made for the existence of a game when it's running on a particular platform. Like Assassin's Creed on the 360.

When they're ready to talk about the actual PS3 version of Bioshock, it exists.

Besides, the look and feel of this game lends itself PERFECTLY to at least a timed exclusive Xbox 360 game. The color scheme, futuristic setting, all that stuff.

Xbots whining about Assassin's Creed didn't make its announcement or yesterday's showing arrive any faster. Just causes problems.

Ponn

Banned
sangreal said:
Assassin's Creed was:
-Not announced as a PS3 exclusive. They simply never "announced" a 360/PC version
-Shown at X05
-Demonstrated the 360 controls at GDC
-Running on a PC at E3'06
-In the end, it wasn't even a timed exclusive

I dont really see how that compares to Bioshock

Spin it!

What exactly are you looking for? The best way to say its coming to PS3 without hurting your feelings?

Wollan

I would be surprised if it didn't turn up on the PS3 and in my personal books I'm totally expecting it to show up.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ponn01 said:

:lol yourself, i already said i wouldnt be supprised to see Bioshock on PS3, i just dont believe Peter Moore, or anyone else, constructs their conference speeches to defend against whining fanboys when the exclusive agreements run out.

IJoel

Oh boy... I guess every 3rd party 'exclusive' will have this speculation.

For the record, I doubt Bioshock, Splinter Cell 5, or Kane and Lynch will remain exclusive to the 360 platform, just as I doubt some other platform exclusives will remain that way (namely VF5, and DMC4.) I think we'll see both on 360 at some point, perhaps with the release of their respective 'special editions.'

sangreal

Ponn01 said:
Spin it!

What exactly are you looking for? The best way to say its coming to PS3 without hurting your feelings?

Funny, I'm pretty sure I've said several times in this thread that I believe its coming to PS3. You are the one that is trying to spin it

Does anybody have a list of the confirmed permanent 3rd party exclusives for the 360, PS3, and Wii? You know, the ones where the publisher or developer said "this game will never, ever, appear on another platform in this generation". Let's compare them for each system. Anybody?

Speevy

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Does anybody have a list of the confirmed permanent 3rd party exclusives for the 360, PS3, and Wii? You know, the ones where the publisher or developer said "this game will never, ever, appear on another platform in this generation". Let's compare them for each system. Anybody?

I think Square, Capcom, and Konami make up the entire list.

sangreal

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Impossible because publishers never rule out the possibility that they will port a game. The answer is always "we have no plans"

Ponn

Banned
Ghost said:
:lol yourself, i already said i wouldnt be supprised to see Bioshock on PS3, i just dont believe Peter Moore, or anyone else, constructs their conference speeches to defend against whining fanboys when the exclusive agreements run out.

I don't believe they construct their confrence speeches to defend against fanboys either. I do believe they ALL construct their speeches and wording to make it seem the games are exclusive in someway, even into misleading territory. Hence the comparisons to the GTA 4 speech and Assassins Creed *disclaimer for Sangreals gentle heart, none of those were meant as direct comparisons but loose comparisons so take your mouse from the quote button*.

Arsenal

I am expecting a PS3 version as well. For most of these games, it is mostly a matter of time unless they completely bomb on their initial target system and are not worth the cost to port.

Top Bottom