• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock only time exclusive?

Ponn01 said:
So what was good for Assassins Creed isn't good for Bioshock? Even though we have already seen and heard leaks saying otherwise? :lol alrighty then
things can change.

Alan Wake was announced for PS3. it isn't coming to PS3. i'm not saying that's a better comparison than Assassin's creed, just that i'd wait for confirmation of the PS3 version before assuming anything.

'At this time we have only announced the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed' is not the same as 'coming exclusively to xbox 360 and PC when it launches this spring.'

i'd like it to turn up on PS3 myself, because bought exclusives don't do as much for a system as built for the system exclusives, and the more the merrier.

GhaleonEB said:
Or, one provides a release timeframe and the other doesn't. I think we need more clarification.

Possibly, but other games were announced with the same wording at X06 and no one is doubting that they're time exclusive. There's definetly different language used between what was time exclusive and was is exclusive. Moore even went on the stress that SC was completely exclusive to the 360, which I don't recall him doing for any other game.

Mmmkay

Doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet, but the Take 2 Games press release is more explicit in its exclusivity announcement and doesn't condition it with a time frame:

http://ir.take2games.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=212421
2K Announces BioShock as an Exclusive Xbox 360 and Games for Windows title

New York, NY - September 28, 2006 - 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that BioShock, its highly anticipated and award-winning innovative first person shooter, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows, the new brand optimized for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Slated for 2007 and developed by Irrational Games, a 2K development studio, BioShock will forever change the expectations for the first-person shooter.

"2K is excited to release BioShock exclusively on Xbox 360 and under the Games for Windows brand on the PC," said Christoph Hartmann, President, 2K. "BioShock is the next step in the evolution of first-person shooters and a perfect title to push the limits of Xbox 360."

"We expect BioShock will set a new mark in next generation gaming when it launches next year," said George Peckham, general manager, global third party publishing for the Interactive Entertainment Business, Microsoft. "We're thrilled that gamers will be able to experience BioShock only as an Xbox 360 and Games for Windows title."

The Games for Windows branding ensures that consumers have a consistent, reliable gaming experience on Windows XP and Windows Vista with easier game installation, improved reliability, and support for key Windows Vista features. These titles will also support wide-screen gaming, can be launched from within Windows Media Center, will be compatible with 64 bit consumer versions of Windows and support the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

Taking full advantage of both Microsoft platforms, BioShock takes place among the ruins of an underwater utopia. After your plane crashes into icy, uncharted waters, you discover a rusted bathysphere and descend into Rapture, a city hidden beneath the sea. Constructed as an ideal society for a hand-picked group of scientists, artists and industrialists, Rapture collapsed under the weight of its own idealism. Now the city is littered with corpses, wildly powerful guardians roam the corridors, mutated little girls scavenge the dead, and genetically modified citizens ambush you at every turn.

BioShock is in development for Xbox 360 and Windows and will be released in 2007. For more information please visit www.2kgames.com.

pr0cs

Who cares if it appears on the other consoles I think people underestimate the power of releasing a game early on one system and then later on another.

By the time GTA:SA came out on the PC I really didn't give a shit. I had already played it on my friends PS2 and couldn't care less that I could now play it at home. When it came out on the PS2 it was some pretty hot shit and everyone and their dog had to have the game but all the thunder was lost when it came out on a platform I actually owned.

Are people going to have the same excitement for Bioshock when it comes out 6+ months later on the PS3? I guess we'll see when Oblivion is released on the PS3 at launch.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
SolidSnakex said:
Possibly, but other games were announced with the same wording at X06 and no one is doubting that they're time exclusive. There's definetly different language used between what was time exclusive and was is exclusive. Moore even went on the stress that SC was completely exclusive to the 360, which I don't recall him doing for any other game.

He repeated himself because he ****ed up and said 'Splinter Cell Double Agent 2' (It's called Splinter Cell Conviction anyway so it wasnt even a leak), he corrected himself to 'the Next Splinter Cell'.

Dante

Are timed exclusives really a great thing for the guys who get it first? I mean, usually the one that comes out after has added content. Case in point RE4.

pr0cs said:
Who cares if it appears on the other consoles I think people underestimate the power of releasing a game early on one system and then later on another.

By the time GTA:SA came out on the PC I really didn't give a shit. I had already played it on my friends PS2 and couldn't care less that I could now play it at home. When it came out on the PS2 it was some pretty hot shit and everyone and their dog had to have the game but all the thunder was lost when it came out on a platform I actually owned.

Are people going to have the same excitement for Bioshock when it comes out 6+ months later on the PS3? I guess we'll see when Oblivion is released on the PS3 at launch.
this happened with Splinter Cell going Xbox to PS2 also. late ports rarely sell as well as they would have done had they had simulataneous releases.

it's pretty common. it's partly partisanship (not wanting sloppy seconds) and partly because the excitement has passed.

Dante said:
Are timed exclusives really a great thing for the guys who get it first? I mean, usually the one that comes out after has added content. Case in point RE4.

This was argued with the GTA's last gen. It was pretty much agreed upon that getting it first is better :).

HocusPocus said:
This was argued with the GTA's last gen. It was pretty much agreed upon that getting it first is better :).

Which is the reason MS made such a big deal about getting GTA IV day and date with Sony.

sonycowboy said:
You mean other than the producer saying it's a time exclusive. Ok.
'for the time being'

we aren't going to hear about the PS3 version until after launch from the looks of it. Take 2 have said it's an exclusive. that's different to how splinter cell say was announced and more like how Grand Theft Auto 3 and Oblivion were handled.

pr0cs

Benadryl Hitman said:
The solution is simple, buy the superior PC version and a core duo processor while your at it.

no thanks, I don't feel like spending another $400-500 to upgrade my PC.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BUY AN X360

This generation is going to be real fun if every exclusive game goes under the microscope.

Pope Benedict XVI said:
Henceforth, Bioshock "just doesn't appeal" to sony fanboys

"The Hudsucker Proxy was a bloated over budgeted mess. I hate anything with Art Deco after seeing that movie. Sorry, personal preference, but that's just why I wasn't feeling Bioshock."

Y2Kevbug11 said:
BUY AN X360

This generation is going to be real fun if every exclusive game goes under the microscope.

It's more an issue of if you've got both systems, which one will you buy. 99% of games aren't going to force you to buy a system (Bioshock being a potential exception ;) ). If you've only got the 360, buy that version. If you've only got a PS3, buy that one (assuming games are multiplatform). They're both going to be fantastic.

The issue comes in when you have both. In that case, you buy for the system you prefer, or you buy for the superior version. Or, if there's a time exclusive, obviously the timing can/will affect it.

But are you thinking it's a new thing to put exclusive games under the microsope?? :lol

For me, I'm going to buy it day 1 likely, but given there are dozens of great games coming out next year, I can certainly see someone holding off and making that call later.

sonycowboy said:
It's more an issue of if you've got both systems, which one will you buy. 99% of games aren't going to force you to buy a system (Bioshock being a potential exception ;) ). If you've only got the 360, buy that version. If you've only got a PS3, buy that one (assuming games are multiplatform). They're both going to be fantastic.

The issue comes in when you have both. In that case, you buy for the system you prefer, or you buy for the superior version. Or, if there's a time exclusive, obviously the timing can/will affect it.

But are you thinking it's a new thing to put exclusive games under the microsope?? :lol

For me, I'm going to buy it day 1 likely, but given there are dozens of great games coming out next year, I can certainly see someone holding off and making that call later.
which is also why i doubt we'll see any official announcements about a PS3 version before the 360 comes out. call it... the resident evil 4 phenomenom. people will wait longer if you give them a confirmation and a date... i doubt we'll see many timed exclusives doing that again any time soon.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
HomerSimpson-Man said:
$1000?!

F*ck that!!

Both premiums of PS3 and X360 system can be had!!

Exactly. Why do people praise super CPUs for PCs and dual GPUs in one machine, but cry about the price of the PS3?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
mckmas8808 said:
Exactly. Why do people praise super CPUs for PCs and dual GPUs in one machine, but cry about the price of the PS3?

PC gamers used to bending over for insane hardware prices?

typhonsentra said:
You guys really can't see the hole in that press release, eh? :D

"We're thrilled that gamers will be able to experience BioShock only as an Xbox 360 and Games for Windows title."

I think I get it...the fact that TWO subjects are used with the qualifier ONLY makes it semantically false, thus NEGATING the claim of exclusivity!

Did I get it? Do I win a prize out of the DNA Rejigger Bathroom Condom Machine? Crossing my fingers for Locust Forearm! COME ON LOCUST FOREARM! Daddy needs a new set of Locusts in his Forearm!

typhonsentra said:
You guys really can't see the hole in that press release, eh? :D

No. Oh you expected a smile or something?

Don't worry your pretty little head Typhon I expect Bioshock: Gold to be released for PS3 a week later or something.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
No. Oh you expected a smile or something?

Don't worry your pretty little head Typhon I expect Bioshock: Gold to be released for PS3 a week later or something.

You people are ridiculous. I learned my lesson after the Assassin's Call incident, and this is considerably more transparent than that was. Why would Moore choose the wording he did? Why do they say even in the press release it'll be exclusive when it's released rather than say released only for? I know you all think I'm just some fanboy, but don't let your own biases blind you to the obvious.

CorwinB

HomerSimpson-Man said:
$1000?!

F*ck that!!

Both premiums of PS3 and X360 system can be had!!

That's the power of the PS360 : "Why get an high-end Intel processor when you can have a PS3 and a 360 for the same price ?" :D

sangreal

typhonsentra said:
You people are ridiculous. I learned my lesson after the Assassin's Call incident, and this is considerably more transparent than that was. Why would Moore choose the wording he did? Why do they say even in the press release it'll be exclusive when it's released rather than say released only for? I know you all think I'm just some fanboy, but don't let your own biases blind you to the obvious.

The 2k games PR says:
"will be released exclusively on Xbox 360"

You say:
"released only for" Xbox 360

I believe a thesaurus can reconcile the difference between these statements

Microsoft's PR has some suspicious wording, the 2k PR is very straightforward (but does not mean it isn't a timed exclusive)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
CorwinB said:
That's the power of the PS360 : "Why get an high-end Intel processor when you can have a PS3 and a 360 for the same price ?" :D

YEP! People should start a PS360 campain.

typhonsentra said:

Round and round, but in no way does it mention a timeframe in this highly declarative sentence:

"2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that BioShock, its highly anticipated and award-winning innovative first person shooter, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows, the new brand optimized for Windows XP and Windows Vista."

Are you saying it would be more ironclad if it said "available" and not "released"? I mean, even I think we're getting a bit too deep into semantics. And that's saying something.

36WiiS3

typhonsentra said:

So for the record what do the members of the SonyOnly crowd think of Bioshock then. is it still one of the best looking next gen titles or not.:lol

thing is with a game like this, it really would benefit from releasing it on another system...seems like a niche game, albeit a very promising one piece

36WiiS3 said:
So for the record what do the members of the SonyOnly crowd think of Bioshock then. is it still one of the best looking next gen titles or not.:lol

Well if Ninja Gaiden Sigma is any indication...

Yeah I went there. Yeah I'm going to hell.

36WiiS3 said:

For starters, I own a 360. Second, are we talking about graphics here? If so, it's not especially gorgeous compared to the other 2007 next-gen titles in my opinion. I definitely am interested in the game though.

"We're thrilled that gamers will be able to experience BioShock only as an Xbox 360 and Games for Windows title."

I think I get it...the fact that TWO subjects are used with the qualifier ONLY makes it semantically false, thus NEGATING the claim of exclusivity!

Did I get it? Do I win a prize out of the DNA Rejigger Bathroom Condom Machine? Crossing my fingers for Locust Forearm! COME ON LOCUST FOREARM! Daddy needs a new set of Locusts in his Forearm!

They chose the Microsoft guy to say the "Only For" comment, and even then he said he wants you to enjoy the game "Only" on those systems, not that it won't be coming to other systems.

Look, I'm not going to get into this with you guys, but we've already heard from the team themselves on numerous occaisions they're interested in making a PS3 version and both the press release and Peter Moore's comments were very carefully worded. Are you really going to ignore that?

sangreal

typhonsentra said:
For starters, I own a 360. Second, are we talking about graphics here? If so, it's not especially gorgeous compared to the other 2007 next-gen titles in my opinion. I definitely am interested in the game though.

They chose the Microsoft guy to say the "Only For" comment, and even then he said he wants you to enjoy the game "Only" on those systems, not that it won't be coming to other systems.

Look, I'm not going to get into this with you guys, but we've already heard from the team themselves on numerous occaisions they're interested in making a PS3 version and both the press release and Peter Moore's comments were very carefully worded. Are you really going to ignore that?

Why are you ignoring this line? I would really like to see your comments on how it is vague:

ew York, NY - September 28, 2006 - 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that BioShock, its highly anticipated and award-winning innovative first person shooter, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows, the new brand optimized for Windows XP and Windows Vista.

typhonsentra said:
For starters, I own a 360.

So why do you care? You're going to have the game regardless of what system it's on. Most of the time the only reason people bring this crap up is because a game they want IS NOT or WILL NOT be on the system they own.

You're stressing out for no reason.

*And no there are no guarantess of exclusivity, but going by the wording in the press release so far it's looking that way.

Top Bottom