• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock only time exclusive?

GhaleonEB

typhonsentra said:
For starters, I own a 360. Second, are we talking about graphics here? If so, it's not especially gorgeous compared to the other 2007 next-gen titles in my opinion. I definitely am interested in the game though.

They chose the Microsoft guy to say the "Only For" comment, and even then he said he wants you to enjoy the game "Only" on those systems, not that it won't be coming to other systems.

Look, I'm not going to get into this with you guys, but we've already heard from the team themselves on numerous occaisions they're interested in making a PS3 version and both the press release and Peter Moore's comments were very carefully worded. Are you really going to ignore that?
2K press release said:
2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that BioShock, its highly anticipated and award-winning innovative first person shooter, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows
2K, the publisher, announces the exclusitivity in the first sentence of a press release. And you think this is "carefully worded"? What would it take?

sangreal said:
Why are you ignoring this line? I would really like to see your comments on how it is vague:
I know by definition in the dictionary what it means. But "Launch" in the context would be too, now wouldn't it? Doesn't mean it isn't PR speak to give wiggle room for the talking head to sya he wasn't lying when he said his game wasn't being "Released/launched" exclusively for their system. Get it?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Bioshock will be worth buying a 360 or upgrading your PC for. The press release seems pretty conclusive though so I don't see the point in arguing over semantics.

typhonsentra said:
I know by definition in the dictionary what it means. But "Launch" in the context would be too, now wouldn't it? Doesn't mean it isn't PR speak to give wiggle room for the talking head to sya he wasn't lying when he said his game wasn't being "Released/launched" exclusively for their system. Get it?
okay. So is DMC4 time exclusive for PS3?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
So why do you care? You're going to have the game regardless of what system it's on. Most of the time the only reason people bring this crap up is because a game they want IS NOT or WILL NOT be on the system they own.

You're stressing out for no reason.

*And no there are no guarantess of exclusivity, but going by the wording in the press release so far it's looking that way.

I'm arguing about it because GAF keeps making this same mistake over and over again. I wasn't here when the Killzone thing originally happened, but I remember reading the very carefully worded statements from Sony people back then and this is very, very similar.

even though its apparent its 360 console exclusive it doesn't hurt the game's exposure at all to have these kinda discussions. carry on folks, PS3 version confirmed :D

If Sony had half a clue, it'd secure The Darkness while there is still time. If there is still time. Sony has the first party thing down, but I honestly think the company is being blindsided in regards to securing 3rd party exclusives.

Speevy

Banned
When we said it's only coming to the 360 and PC, we meant argue about the PS3 version.

It's all in how you interpret these things.

sangreal

Here is the Oblivion PR for comparison. Notice they never say anything about it being exclusive:

ROCKVILLE, Md., May 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Bethesda Softworks and 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTWO) today announced that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion(TM), the highly anticipated and definitive next-generation role playing game, will be available on the Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. Oblivion, the long awaited fourth installment in the award-winning Elder Scrolls series, will make its public debut at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles on May 18. With revolutionary technology powered by Xbox 360 and Bethesda's powerful development engine and groundbreaking Radiant AI(TM) system, Oblivion provides gamers with the most life-like gaming experience to date. The powerful combination of unprecedented graphics and freeform game play allows gamers to unravel the main quest or explore the vast world at their own pace.

"Oblivion is by far one of the most graphically captivating games ever made, but the technology powering this game is doing so much more than just making it look good," said Todd Howard, executive producer for Oblivion. "The Xbox 360 gives us the freedom to build a game that is not only visually unsurpassed, but also completely customizable to the player's desire. Technology has finally caught up to our vision of creating a fully immersive fantasy world that looks as amazing as it is fun to play."

Played from a first or third person perspective, Oblivion opens with the mysterious death of the Emperor of Tamriel, tasking the gamer with finding the lost heir to the throne while combating the demons loosed from the gates of Oblivion, or hell. Pioneering technology makes Oblivion's combat more bloody and visceral, as the gamer navigates his way through lifelike towns, dungeons, and the most realistic forests ever created. Oblivion has already received a wealth of pre-launch attention, and has been recognized as one of this year's most highly-anticipated games.

"The team at Bethesda has pushed the RPG genre forward exponentially with Oblivion and it makes for a stunning example of what the next generation Xbox is capable of," said Christoph Hartmann, Managing Director for 2K Games. "The power of this new technology coupled with the talented developers at Bethesda, ensure that the Xbox 360 release from 2K Games and Bethesda Softworks will undoubtedly be an unforgettable gaming experience."

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has not yet been rated by the ESRB and is slated to ship for PC and Xbox 360 in winter 2005. For more information on Oblivion and the Elder Scrolls series, please visit the official web site at http://www.elderscrolls.com

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yes and that mistake is reading your posts.
:lol That was quick. There's always someone who resorts to garbage like this in topics like this. Look, if you get this worked up over a video game, you might want to take a step back from the Internet for awhile, okay?

REV 09 said:
how are you guys spinning the press release? it is as direct as direct can get.

I really don't see how you can say that. I also find it strange how no one is even commenting anymore on the interview in the original post. Do you guys think it's fake or what?

Chiggs

antiloop said:
So that "we may have something in November" comment might be true? Moore made a GTA4 again it seems.

Uh, did you read the Take 2 press release that Mmmkay posted?

GhaleonEB

typhonsentra said:
I really don't see how you can say that.

I'll repost this just for you.

typhonsentra said:
For starters, I own a 360. Second, are we talking about graphics here? If so, it's not especially gorgeous compared to the other 2007 next-gen titles in my opinion. I definitely am interested in the game though.

They chose the Microsoft guy to say the "Only For" comment, and even then he said he wants you to enjoy the game "Only" on those systems, not that it won't be coming to other systems.

Look, I'm not going to get into this with you guys, but we've already heard from the team themselves on numerous occaisions they're interested in making a PS3 version and both the press release and Peter Moore's comments were very carefully worded. Are you really going to ignore that?
2K press release said:
2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that BioShock, its highly anticipated and award-winning innovative first person shooter, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows
2K, the publisher, announces the exclusitivity in the first sentence of a press release. And you think this is "carefully worded"? What would it take?

I also find it strange how no one is even commenting anymore on the interview in the original post. Do you guys think it's fake or what?
I think people stopped talking about that interview because the press release stomped all over it.

GhaleonEB said:
Or mistaken, or out of sync with a publishing deal. Regardless it's tough to see any ambiguity in the press release.

I obviously am not going to convince you otherwise. All I'm saying is that when/if a version for PS3 is announced in the near future, you have no one to blame but yourself for not seeing it coming.

duckroll

typhonsentra said:
I obviously am not going to convince you otherwise. All I'm saying is that when/if a version for PS3 is announced in the near future, you have no one to blame but yourself for not seeing it coming.

Why would he blame anyone? You're the only one who seems to care really. Everyone else is just waving "shut the fvck up" signs. :lol

Odysseus

Banned
I, for one, expect to see it on PS3 a few months after the 360 release. Just for the record. Not that I care either way, of course. Game looks boring.

Razoric

Banned
typhonsentra said:

:lol

Between this thread and Oblivion Neogaf has turned into serious business.

Angelcurio

Rememeber that Oblivion on the 360 and Oblivion on PS3 and PSP will be published under different publisher labels.

The same could happen with Bioshock, 2K being the publisher of the 360 and pc version, and other console´s version being published by themselves.

GhaleonEB

typhonsentra said:
blame myself? I'd say, "wow, that's kind of surprising" and that would be the end of it. :lol

IJoel

Angelcurio said:
Rememeber that Oblivion on the 360 and Oblivion on PS3 and PSP will be published under different publisher labels.

The same could happen with Bioshock, 2K being the publisher of the 360 and pc version, and other console´s version being published by themselves.

AFAIK, Oblivion was never claimed to be a PC+X360 exclusive.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Angelcurio said:

What the hell? Is this true?

Odysseus

Banned
Angelcurio said:

Doesn't Take Two own the Bioshock developer? Irrational Games, right?

Chiggs

Odysseus said:
Doesn't Take Two own the Bioshock developer? Irrational Games, right?

Yes, which is why his answer was incorrect. If the official press release mentions exclusive, it's gonna be a good, long while before it hits the PS3...if ever.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about this (not targetting you).

JB1981

2K Games confirmed that BioShock, a first person shooter that will
revolutionize the genre and forever change the expectations of gamers, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360 and Microsoft(r) Windows(r) next spring.

Bolded for clarification.

what are you going to bold in this one JB1981?
2K Announces BioShock as an Exclusive Xbox 360 and Games for Windows title

New York, NY - September 28, 2006 - 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that BioShock, its highly anticipated and award-winning innovative first person shooter, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows, the new brand optimized for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Slated for 2007 and developed by Irrational Games, a 2K development studio, BioShock will forever change the expectations for the first-person shooter.

quick BOLD SOMETHING!

Razoric

Banned
JB1981 said:
Bolded for clarification.

Actual PR:

2K Announces BioShock as an Exclusive Xbox 360 and Games for Windows title

New York, NY - September 28, 2006 - 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that BioShock, its highly anticipated and award-winning innovative first person shooter, will be released exclusively on Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Games for Windows, the new brand optimized for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Slated for 2007 and developed by Irrational Games, a 2K development studio, BioShock will forever change the expectations for the first-person shooter.

"2K is excited to release BioShock exclusively on Xbox 360 and under the Games for Windows brand on the PC," said Christoph Hartmann, President, 2K. "BioShock is the next step in the evolution of first-person shooters and a perfect title to push the limits of Xbox 360."

"We expect BioShock will set a new mark in next generation gaming when it launches next year," said George Peckham, general manager, global third party publishing for the Interactive Entertainment Business, Microsoft. "We're thrilled that gamers will be able to experience BioShock only as an Xbox 360 and Games for Windows title."

The Games for Windows branding ensures that consumers have a consistent, reliable gaming experience on Windows XP and Windows Vista with easier game installation, improved reliability, and support for key Windows Vista features. These titles will also support wide-screen gaming, can be launched from within Windows Media Center, will be compatible with 64 bit consumer versions of Windows and support the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

Taking full advantage of both Microsoft platforms, BioShock takes place among the ruins of an underwater utopia. After your plane crashes into icy, uncharted waters, you discover a rusted bathysphere and descend into Rapture, a city hidden beneath the sea. Constructed as an ideal society for a hand-picked group of scientists, artists and industrialists, Rapture collapsed under the weight of its own idealism. Now the city is littered with corpses, wildly powerful guardians roam the corridors, mutated little girls scavenge the dead, and genetically modified citizens ambush you at every turn.

BioShock is in development for Xbox 360 and Windows and will be released in 2007. For more information please visit www.2kgames.com.

If you want Bioshock get a PC or 360... christ.

Chiggs

JB1981 said:
Assassins Creed all over again, Chiggs.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :D

Okay, so just for kicks...how long will it be before we see the PS3 version? 6 months? A year?

Odysseus said:
No one has ever made or refuted that point in the whole thread. Thank you sir.

You see what you want to see. That press release is pretty damning to the whole Bioshock on PS3 movement.

Top Bottom